Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

8 hours ago, AfftonDad said:

I think it is probably more than 30 out skaters by now. Just from skimming this thread I came up with this list...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2A94zJKeEY5bDJHZVNmMVZtTkE/view?usp=sharing

I would think there are probably ones that haven't been posted to this thread. If anyone has additions or deletions, let me know and I'll add/remove them.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1AWlWbBdX-uuM3QemJ0oSlFxSk4o6gR-yzTnJ55q20M8/pub

I made some edits to reflect guys who were in VH for a while and now have gone to something else. 12 of the guys on the list aren't in VH anymore. I'm not sure about Donskoi. Did he ever wear VH?

If we were to fully add KHL guys, there are a bunch just on Jokerit Helsinki.

5 hours ago, flip12 said:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1AWlWbBdX-uuM3QemJ0oSlFxSk4o6gR-yzTnJ55q20M8/pub

I made some edits to reflect guys who were in VH for a while and now have gone to something else. 12 of the guys on the list aren't in VH anymore. I'm not sure about Donskoi. Did he ever wear VH?

If we were to fully add KHL guys, there are a bunch just on Jokerit Helsinki.

Can anyone get back to me about my last comment about VH Skates and the use of shims? With the fitting remote or not they try and get your center of gravity over your edges so it is not necessary to shim their skates unless the remote fitting was off.

Does anyone want to comment as I am ordering mine to do away with any over pronation issues or at least as much as possible.

The remote fitting is not as good as being there, but their goal is to get you in the skate molded so you are ready to go.

Thanks,

Alan Sheppard

2 hours ago, smu said:

Can anyone get back to me about my last comment about VH Skates and the use of shims? With the fitting remote or not they try and get your center of gravity over your edges so it is not necessary to shim their skates unless the remote fitting was off.

Does anyone want to comment as I am ordering mine to do away with any over pronation issues or at least as much as possible.

The remote fitting is not as good as being there, but their goal is to get you in the skate molded so you are ready to go.

Thanks,

Alan Sheppard

Alan in the 60 or so fits i have done so far there is only one player i have had to do any lifts or shims with. I did have to alter the blades for alignment but this particular player has always had thi done. however with the VH they have less done and only have the lifts to clear for tight turns because of the very wide foot they have.

3 hours ago, smu said:

Thanks,

Alan Sheppard

I have overpronation.

if you order the skate without any built in shims (which I wouldn't recommend)  more than likely it won't fix overpronation. I ordered mine to account for my haglunds.

im currently experimenting with shims. Got 1/16" on my VHs and it's not doing much, so may have to bump it up. Like old trainer said, if you normally do shims you'll likely still have to do them. 

Supposedly if your center of gravity is directly over your blades then you could be over pronated or Supinated and you should still not need to shim your skates.

That's why I am saying we are shimming our skates to get us to that COG point. The more we play with inside medial heel shims or outside lateral shims it gets our center of gravity close to that sweet spot!.

VH tells me that they have had very very few problems with the remote fitting (unless they have not been told), but they have hardly had any involvement with issues out of 4000 pairs of skates!

I need more feed back people as I hope to order next week and I am having the older LS2 holder (LHS indicated a better holder) installed with the ability to put step steel in or the the other more expensive Black Steel. I also want two heel shims to compensate for the low pitch on the Bauer and I may ask for an added 2-3 mm heel lifts to get that forward feeling.

VH has been very accommodating to me!

Are there any light players out there?

I want to add their protection package but I am only 130 lbs and 5'5' tall? Will this be too strong for me, as well I will be ordering the suggested second tongue.

Alan

On 3/31/2016 at 11:31 AM, smu said:

Supposedly if your center of gravity is directly over your blades then you could be over pronated or Supinated and you should still not need to shim your skates.

That's why I am saying we are shimming our skates to get us to that COG point. The more we play with inside medial heel shims or outside lateral shims it gets our center of gravity close to that sweet spot!.

VH tells me that they have had very very few problems with the remote fitting (unless they have not been told), but they have hardly had any involvement with issues out of 4000 pairs of skates!

I need more feed back people as I hope to order next week and I am having the older LS2 holder (LHS indicated a better holder) installed with the ability to put step steel in or the the other more expensive Black Steel. I also want two heel shims to compensate for the low pitch on the Bauer and I may ask for an added 2-3 mm heel lifts to get that forward feeling.

I want to add their protection package but I am only 130 lbs and 5'5' tall? Will this be too strong for me, as well I will be ordering the suggested second tongue.

Alan

I'm 140 lb at 5' 8".  I've got their protection package and it isn't an issue.  That said, the standard boot is solid enough that my girlfriend at 100 lbs, 5' 2" can skate in them no problem without any durability/protection issues.

CCM Lace Locks on the VHs.  Keeps the fore/mid-foot loosey goosey, but the top two eyelets above the locks cranked.  They are now my perfect skate.

12910296_10154060805081115_536620937_n.j

14 minutes ago, OptimusReim said:

I really need to do that. Where'd you get them?

My LHS ordered them in for me.  I think they're like 1.49 for a single lock.  I got 16, enough for 4 pairs of skates.  I used Oakley helmet screws as their nuts are much flatter and lower profile than Bauer ones.

33 minutes ago, OptimusReim said:

I really need to do that. Where'd you get them?

You guys honestly just read my mind. I was just looking at skate locks online for my VH. Having problems getting my right skate as tight as I want it (always had this problem, not just VH).  Going to try them and Probably going to get them baked  again. Use a ratchet clamp on the heel and see if that makes it better.

You can buy a 12 pack of the locks on HockeyGiant or HockeyMonkey sells them individually. 

Edited by Bbd94

On 3/31/2016 at 2:31 PM, smu said:

Alan

You want to shim the VH skates for forward pitch??? there is no need to do it. there plenty forward enough. EVERY person i have fitted Pro's included went neutral no lifts at all. One tried a slight forward pitch and took it out after. High profile player.

2 hours ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

You want to shim the VH skates for forward pitch??? there is no need to do it. there plenty forward enough. EVERY person i have fitted Pro's included went neutral no lifts at all. One tried a slight forward pitch and took it out after. High profile player.

Interesting.  I actually have mine shimmed 1/8 inch in the back heel for more forward pitch.  I came from Makos and went with a Tuuk holder for convenience.  1/8 inch heel lift built into boot, +1 forward pitch on the skate runner.

7 hours ago, syinx said:

I'm 140 lb at 5' 8".  I've got their protection package and it isn't an issue.  That said, the standard boot is solid enough that my girlfriend at 100 lbs, 5' 2" can skate in them no problem without any durability/protection issues.

Sounds good, perhaps I should include the package. I got a hard glancing hit last week that I can still feel, although it would be considered minor, but the bruising was sure to be there as if I took a good hit.

Alan

4 hours ago, syinx said:

Interesting.  I actually have mine shimmed 1/8 inch in the back heel for more forward pitch.  I came from Makos and went with a Tuuk holder for convenience.  1/8 inch heel lift built into boot, +1 forward pitch on the skate runner.

I have found the Tuuk blade to be flat and I have the tendency of falling backwards on 180-360º turns. A number of years ago it was suggested to add 2-3 mm under both heels and what a difference it made giving me some forward pitch. I went away from that with my last Bauer/Tuuk the problem came back. I want to stay with the tuuk holders, but don't want to conture them to death. I don't want the Easton or Graf holders. Before ordering the VH skate I have just again added the extra heel height on my skates to see if I can get the better forward feeling. I won't know until my next game this coming Tuesday.

Alan

6 hours ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

You have no idea how much the Tuuk blades make me feel like I am constantly falling backwards. I had an in store fitting at one point with a fitter that knew what he was doing and placed me on a board with skates on and he said your body style needs a lift in the heel or we grind off your blade. I took the heel lift and felt a great difference immediately. It is too bad that this guy sold his shop to "The Source" and now I can no longer get his advice. I had to travel 2.5 hours each way to get get service, but it was the best I could do from a Halifax NS perspective.

7 hours ago, Bbd94 said:

You guys honestly just read my mind. I was just looking at skate locks online for my VH. Having problems getting my right skate as tight as I want it (always had this problem, not just VH).  Going to try them and Probably going to get them baked  again. Use a ratchet clamp on the heel and see if that makes it better.

You can buy a 12 pack of the locks on HockeyGiant or HockeyMonkey sells them individually. 

Thanks for the info, I think that's a good idea for me!

Alan

On 2016-03-31 at 1:23 PM, Bbd94 said:

I have overpronation.

if you order the skate without any built in shims (which I wouldn't recommend)  more than likely it won't fix overpronation. I ordered mine to account for my haglunds.

im currently experimenting with shims. Got 1/16" on my VHs and it's not doing much, so may have to bump it up. Like old trainer said, if you normally do shims you'll likely still have to do them. 

Once again, Rob from VH has told me that I am correct. If you get a proper fitting your center of gravity is placed over your blades and you should not need any shims. That's what their fitting is all about - to get you over your blades. Then it does not matter about pronation issues.

Alan

On 2016-03-31 at 1:23 PM, Bbd94 said:

I have overpronation.

On 2016-03-31 at 0:13 PM, oldtrainerguy28 said:

Alan in the 60 or so fits i have done so far there is only one player i have had to do any lifts or shims with. I did have to alter the blades for alignment but this particular player has always had thi done. however with the VH they have less done and only have the lifts to clear for tight turns because of the very wide foot they have.

This is what it is all about, thanks for the input. Rob from VH indicated the numbers of skates they have made versus any issues and there were very little!

Alan

9 hours ago, syinx said:

That's exactly what I have just asked Rob if I can do, somehow the LightSpeed Edge has no pitch or a -1 pitch. From experience I needed that 2 or 3 mm in the heel, lest I am trying a tight reverse maneuver and land on my tailbone and at time hitting the helmet.

I will go for the LS2 holder as I am told by my LHS that they are better than the LightSpeed keeping the blade more secure and that's a go.

Getting back to the pitch it all comes down to the skaters skeletal build I guess, I can't use the flatness of the Bauer, always needing to bring my blades up in pith to compensate. The hell lift as I had in my last skate was the way to go for me, I could feel the difference in the Bauer I have now as I did not replace the lifts.

Alan Sheppard

Edited by smu
spelling & minor edit

12 hours ago, syinx said:

My LHS ordered them in for me.  I think they're like 1.49 for a single lock.  I got 16, enough for 4 pairs of skates.  I used Oakley helmet screws as their nuts are much flatter and lower profile than Bauer ones.

You installed them through the eyelet or had to remove the eyelet before installing?

3 minutes ago, mc88 said:

You installed them through the eyelet or had to remove the eyelet before installing?

If they are installed in the eyelet you must have little room getting the lace through, if you remove eyelet does it fasten well enough not to compromise the skate?

Alan

11 minutes ago, smu said:

If they are installed in the eyelet you must have little room getting the lace through, if you remove eyelet does it fasten well enough not to compromise the skate?

Alan

You don't remove the eyelet. I'm confused what you're talking about. Getting the lace through what?

3 minutes ago, OptimusReim said:

You don't remove the eyelet. I'm confused what you're talking about. Getting the lace through what?

So the hardware is mounted through the eyelet and held together like an Oakley visor (minus the crappy plastic spacer, of course)? Sounds easy enough to install.

Edited by mc88

35 minutes ago, OptimusReim said:

As you can see I am quoting MC88s post

"You installed them through the eyelet or had to remove the eyelet before installing?"

If these can be fitted into the eyelet hole would it not make it more narrow? However, I don't know the product.

By the way the above quote was written I was confused. I should have sent the reply to mc88.

My apologies.

Alan

Edited by smu
spelling

42 minutes ago, mc88 said:

So the hardware is mounted through the eyelet and held together like an Oakley visor (minus the crappy plastic spacer, of course)? Sounds easy enough to install.

MC, now I have no idea. I don't have Oakley visors, may sound easy and not blocking the lace, I am just lacking in what is involved. I have seen your eyelet in the your photo I believe, but that does not tell the tale.

Alan

12 minutes ago, smu said:

MC, now I have no idea. I don't have Oakley visors, may sound easy and not blocking the lace, I am just lacking in what is involved. I have seen your eyelet in the your photo I believe, but that does not tell the tale.

Alan

ysy2uja2.jpg

tude3e8y.jpg