Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

1 hour ago, Chip N Chase said:

Hey 

New here. Joined for this board. Just got my VH skates only 3 weeks after ordering. First impression of the skate were awesome. Feel very comfortable on the ice. Only one ice time so far and really impressed. No break in time at all. One thing I did notice after the game was my toes were a little numb, I'm guessing I tied them too tight and using wax laces maybe overkill. Also I noticed that the wrap is so pronounced on the last 3 eyelets that it's really difficult to get my laces through the eyelets once the skates are on my feet(standard felt tongue). Any ideas on how to fix that?  Or is that just part of having the proper fit of the skate. Fit like a dream. Really happy I made the switch. No more pain.  

Thanks 

14 minutes ago, Larry54 said:

I find it a bit difficult to lace the eyelets with the skate on my foot too but it's only the top 2 eyelets that need to be unlaced to get the skate on or off, so it's not a big deal to me. I've also gone to lacing the top eyelet out-to-in for other reasons and that seems to make it a bit easier to lace.

My Supremes have really great wrap similar to what I image VH would be, and for the top 3 eyelets I lace out to in, because I have a tough time when the skate is on.

2 hours ago, Chip N Chase said:

Hey 

New here. Joined for this board. Just got my VH skates only 3 weeks after ordering. First impression of the skate were awesome. Feel very comfortable on the ice. Only one ice time so far and really impressed. No break in time at all. One thing I did notice after the game was my toes were a little numb, I'm guessing I tied them too tight and using wax laces maybe overkill. Also I noticed that the wrap is so pronounced on the last 3 eyelets that it's really difficult to get my laces through the eyelets once the skates are on my feet(standard felt tongue). Any ideas on how to fix that?  Or is that just part of having the proper fit of the skate. Fit like a dream. Really happy I made the switch. No more pain.  

Thanks 

I have the same thing. I have to really pull the top away from my foot to get the last couple sets of eyelets laced. Is what it is. *shrug*

Hi all,

Great info on the VH skates.  Thanks for all who shared their experience.  I'm considering a VH purchase.  A couple of questions.

1) I'm currently skating Graf G9035 85 flex.  Like the fit, comfort.  Didn't take me long to adjust to the pitch of the Ultra 5000 holders.  Sadly I have this annoying 'brake like' squeak when stopping.  No performance issue.  My LHS has looked into everything.  No luck.  I don't want to put Ultra's on the VH boot.  My concern is I'd like to try the new Step holders with Step steel, but I can't find where to buy replacement steel for those holders.  I don't want to hunt them down for replacements.  Should I be concerned?  

2) Will VH handle any depth issues.  Before the Graffs, I skated Bauer Supreme.  When I was shopping, not many skates felt comfortable over the top of my foot (always failing the pencil test).  Since VH are custom, do I need to be concerned?

3) Lastly for those that have purchased.  Is the total price on the website US or Canadian dollars?  Obviously a difference with the stronger US dollar.  It appears Canadian since the options show a +/- CAD.  I've emailed VH but they wont give me a direct answer.  For those that have purchased in the US, was your invoice amount converted to US dollars?

Thanks!

2 hours ago, ALC said:

Hi all,

Great info on the VH skates.  Thanks for all who shared their experience.  I'm considering a VH purchase.  A couple of questions.

1) I'm currently skating Graf G9035 85 flex.  Like the fit, comfort.  Didn't take me long to adjust to the pitch of the Ultra 5000 holders.  Sadly I have this annoying 'brake like' squeak when stopping.  No performance issue.  My LHS has looked into everything.  No luck.  I don't want to put Ultra's on the VH boot.  My concern is I'd like to try the new Step holders with Step steel, but I can't find where to buy replacement steel for those holders.  I don't want to hunt them down for replacements.  Should I be concerned?  

Check this thread about the holders.

Keep in mind that VH has been acquired by True Hockey and perhaps communications are not as used to.Try True Hockey and inquire about your skates from them. This also means that the joint venture between Step and VH with holders may or may not have been cut short, you should contact Stepsteel about the holders and runners availability.

7 minutes ago, Kgbeast said:

Check this thread about the holders.

Keep in mind that VH has been acquired by True Hockey and perhaps communications are not as used to.Try True Hockey and inquire about your skates from them. This also means that the joint venture between Step and VH with holders may or may not have been cut short, you should contact Stepsteel about the holders and runners availability.

Good thought.  I only looked at the usual internet suspects for purchase of the steel.  I still may elect to go the safer route and consider the Tuuk LS2 or SB 4.0 holder (although I don't see it being offered on the website).  The VH Holder (Step) with Step steel is still the recommended option when building the player skate on the VH website.

I did just now get a email from VH regarding price.  The website price is what you pay in US dollars.  So I guess I would need to go to Canada to take advantage of the strong US dollar.  Was hoping it would be invoiced with the currency being converted.  Oh well.

Guess the other thing I've been mulling over is to whether to wait and see how this all shakes out with True.  Might there be a better product coming out soon?  

4 hours ago, ALC said:

Guess the other thing I've been mulling over is to whether to wait and see how this all shakes out with True.  Might there be a better product coming out soon?  

It looks like there is a 3rd generation VH out now. I've been seeing pics on some social media with a new toe cap, they removed the screw that was on top, and a new tendon guard that has the liner going all the way up it. 

This is all just a guess based on pics I've seen so maybe some people who have gotten a new pair can comment or @OldTrainerGuy can shed some light on this. But if this is the case I think it's safe to say there won't be a better product coming for a little bit. 

Maybe a running change in logo but thats about it for now.

As for pricing if you come to Canada to buy you pay taxes and shipping. In the US its simply the price shipped. So mo advantage really buying in Canada with US dollars. 

1 hour ago, nicker87 said:

It looks like there is a 3rd generation VH out now. I've been seeing pics on some social media with a new toe cap, they removed the screw that was on top, and a new tendon guard that has the liner going all the way up it. 

This is all just a guess based on pics I've seen so maybe some people who have gotten a new pair can comment or @OldTrainerGuy can shed some light on this. But if this is the case I think it's safe to say there won't be a better product coming for a little bit. 

If you mean the skate that VH now has on their online order form, the skates I received in early October have the same screwless toecap but the tendon guard is different from my plastic one. And the VH holder was not yet available when I ordered mine.

25 minutes ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

Maybe a running change in logo but thats about it for now.

As for pricing if you come to Canada to buy you pay taxes and shipping. In the US its simply the price shipped. So mo advantage really buying in Canada with US dollars. 

Out of curiosity, what's the story on the new tendon guard oldtrainerguy28? Is there an advantage over the previous plastic one? Flexible? Lighter? More comfortable? Thanks.

Edited by Larry54

On 06/10/2015 at 2:25 PM, mc88 said:

If you're getting numbness in the lower portion of your foot (ball of foot to your toes), then you'll probably need to do what I did:

You'll need a heat gun for this...

1. Remove the laces from the boot

2. On the low setting, heat up the in-step sidewall (out-step as well... if needed) between eyelets 1 to 4 (near the toebox) by continually moving the heat gun in small circles about 6 inches away from the boot

3. When the material becomes soft and malleable, roll the sidewall up and outward

4. While still warm, place your foot inside the boot, and tuck in the tongue

5. Look along the eyelets to see that tongue is flush and flat across the foot

6. If not, take off the boot, and continue to roll it up and out until desired (re-heat the sidewall if necessary)

7. If you're still getting pressure after rolling the walls outward, then remove the red insoles if you haven't already... OR... use a thinner insole

What the tongue should NOT look like (notice that you'll see the foot through the eyelets--the arrows in the diagrams below represent pressure when the laces are tied; yellow arrows represent excessive downward pressure since the tongue can't sit flat; green arrows represent pressure spread evenly across the flattened tongue):

BUfQIn2.jpg

What it should look like:

eg3dff9.jpg

The tongue should sit flat and symmetrical across the foot, like so (green=flat & even pressure across foot, yellow=raised & excessive down-force on top of foot):

tBfbPC9.jpg

So is it best to adjust the tongue to cover the toes in the skate? Or just before the toes? And can I throw the tongues in the oven so I don't have to mold the entire boot again. 

10 hours ago, Larry54 said:

If you mean the skate that VH now has on their online order form, the skates I received in early October have the same screwless toecap but the tendon guard is different from my plastic one. And the VH holder was not yet available when I ordered mine.

Out of curiosity, what's the story on the new tendon guard oldtrainerguy28? Is there an advantage over the previous plastic one? Flexible? Lighter? More comfortable? Thanks.

Yep that exactly. @oldtrainerguy28I'm curious too about the tendon guard. Is it still replaceable now that it has the liner attached?

i wish my pair of VH weren't still going strong so I could get the updated version lol

10 hours ago, Larry54 said:

Yep that exactly. @oldtrainerguy28I'm curious too about the tendon guard. Is it still replaceable now that it has the liner attached?

i wish my pair of VH weren't still going strong so I could get the updated version lol

How far in does everyone have the tongue in the toe box? In relation to the velcro strip I have about an inch that is not attached to the velcro. Feel like the tongue being further down the toebox would eliminate some extra space. I watched a video with Scott adjusting the tongue and he mentioned the tongue should be further down the toebox to help with edging etc. Anyone have an opinion on this. Thinking about rebaking my tongues and pushing them further down the toe box over my toes. 

How far in does everyone have the tongue in the toe box? In relation to the velcro strip I have about an inch that is not attached to the velcro. Feel like the tongue being further down the toebox would eliminate some extra space. I watched a video with Scott adjusting the tongue and he mentioned the tongue should be further down the toebox to help with edging etc. Anyone have an opinion on this. Thinking about rebaking my tongues and pushing them further down the toe box over my toes. 

I initially baked the skates with about 3/4" of the tongue's velcro showing beyond the attaching strip . Afterwards I tried attaching the tongue further in so the end of the velcro strip is even with the end of tongue's velcro. I prefer the feel of the latter since it takes up some space in that area. I didn't re-bake anything after the adjustment since I'm using the standard felt tongue which I don't believe is thermoformable. I also attached the tongues on my 3-year-old VH skates in the same way except that I baked them in that position since they are thermoformable. Which tongues do you have?

Edited by Larry54

1 hour ago, IPv6Freely said:

There is

Where did you get that information? The VH website says, "There are two tongue options with an adjustable position. The regular tongue is a traditional thick felt model, the custom tongue has a metatarsal guard consisting of formable plastic – either can be embroidered."

1 hour ago, Larry54 said:

Where did you get that information? The VH website says, "There are two tongue options with an adjustable position. The regular tongue is a traditional thick felt model, the custom tongue has a metatarsal guard consisting of formable plastic – either can be embroidered."

I own VH skates

21 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

I own VH skates

So do I, two different versions. The original version has a tongue that's stiff and becomes soft and pliable when it's heated, and hardens to the shape of the top of the foot when cool. That's thermoformable. My new pair has the felt tongue that's always soft and pliable whether it's warm or cold. That's not the definition of thermoformable.

Edited by Larry54

6 minutes ago, Larry54 said:

So do I, two different versions. The original version has a tongue that's stiff and becomes soft and pliable when it's heated, and hardens to the shape of the top of the foot when cool. That's thermoformable. My new pair has the felt tongue that's always soft and pliable whether it's warm or cold. That's not the definition of thermoformable.

K

Numb toes. Anyone else deal with this? I don't feel like my skates are too tight. Mostly only really tighten the 3 and 4  eyelets. Toes are numb by the end of the game. Only wore them for 3 games now. 

I did for a while at first, just too tight. I still get it occasionally if I tie them too tight by accident. Usually, most of the eyelets are barely snug, let alone tight. 

If that's not your issue, perhaps a second bake with much looser lacing might help? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dman692420 said:

I just received my new VH about 2 weeks ago & I have the standard felt tongue & don't feel a thremo plastic in it.  

There isn't any thermo plastic in the felt tongue. They have two tongues, at least they did when I ordered. 

1 hour ago, nicker87 said:

There isn't any thermo plastic in the felt tongue. They have two tongues, at least they did when I ordered. 

They had two when I ordered, both with thermo plastic. Mine was the "regular", and the one with enhanced metatarsal wasn't able to be embroidered.