Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hkygoalie

Tavares Curve P45 alternative

I dug through the archived posts but really didn't find much help. Do we have any Tavares Curve P45 fans out there that are able to move to a different stick? Both the Tavares and Datsyuk curve are almost impossible for me to get. Even trying to order the top of the line Tacks stick I can't find many online sites or hockey shops that carry the p45 or the p38.

Right now, I looked at Warrior Curves and have two on order at around $99.99 a stick to test the curves out.

I have a W01 (Lupul) Tavares alt and W16 (Karlsson) (p38 alternative) on the way.

Does anybody else have experience with any other brand or curve that is tad more available to purchase?  I've also used PM9 but its not the same, its way too flat. The Tavares is like a perfect heel - mid curve that I can get off decent wrist shots with. I went from Kane P88 to using P92 and CCM Crosby and hate those curves. The P88 looks to be my middle ground option if none of the other curves seem to work.

9 minutes ago, hkygoalie said:

I dug through the archived posts but really didn't find much help. Do we have any Tavares Curve P45 fans out there that are able to move to a different stick? Both the Tavares and Datsyuk curve are almost impossible for me to get. Even trying to order the top of the line Tacks stick I can't find many online sites or hockey shops that carry the p45 or the p38.

Right now, I looked at Warrior Curves and have two on order at around $99.99 a stick to test the curves out.

I have a W01 (Lupul) Tavares alt and W16 (Karlsson) (p38 alternative) on the way.

Does anybody else have experience with any other brand or curve that is tad more available to purchase?  I've also used PM9 but its not the same, its way too flat. The Tavares is like a perfect heel - mid curve that I can get off decent wrist shots with. I went from Kane P88 to using P92 and CCM Crosby and hate those curves. The P88 looks to be my middle ground option if none of the other curves seem to work.

I feel your pain I'm a P-38 guy and been trying to find a pro stock left handed Trigger/Reckoner or Ultra Tacks/Super Tacks with a 75 flex for awhile now.

I love the Tavares curve but won’t be much help. I moved to a couple different True curves that were nothing like the Tavares curve. I’m just not tied to any one curve.

13 minutes ago, ParabolicActivity said:

OP the W01 and the PM9 are identical. They're both fucking perfect IMO. There's nothing you can't do with them. The P38 is just the closest thing CCM offers. Plus the square toe has its usefulness at times.

The Pm9 I have doesn't have grip. I'll give the w01 a whirl. I like a sqaure toe too. Ccm still makes the p45 and p38 curves but they are difficult to find. And if I do its 300.00 a stick. Also im on the short side that needs a righty at roughly 65 flex to get it around 70 to 80 flex after I cut it down.  The w16 has me intrigued. I hear the W04 in warrior is a tavares curve but has to be order custom and I cant imagine what one stick would cost. It's been so long since I played with a tavares curve that I want to order it one more time before I start looking at custom orders. 

16 minutes ago, ParabolicActivity said:

I've actually never even seen a good set of pics of a P45, let alone held one. It seems like a great mix between a P38 and PM9 or similar.

Yeah it's like a hybrid.  I played goalie my entire life and started playing skater the last 5 years and have retired from goalie and the tavares is the only stick I can shoot with. It must be where I shoot the puck that no longer curve works. Pm9 I cant lift the puck, and I can't compare p38 yet. When I get the w16 ill use that 1st. Only problem even the w16 is a bitch to find. I can't even find a custom company that will offer a p45, p38 equivalent.  I guess no market anymore. Its all about shooting off the toe these days. I've tried it, my shot is ugly.

5 hours ago, adam14 said:

CCM will be offering a new custom program that will carry the P38 option. Talk to your LHS about it.

Sounds like something I'm interested in. I need to test the p38 first. I'm getting a w16 (p38 clone) from purehockey today. Hopefully ccm offers p45 as a custom curve too. However curious to know if its a 3 or 5 stick minimum at top tier stick price too.  That may be too much for me to swing. I typically stay in the 149.00 stick range.  I'm just a beer leaguer that can't justify 6 300.00 sticks 

17 hours ago, hkygoalie said:

The Pm9 I have doesn't have grip. I'll give the w01 a whirl. I like a sqaure toe too. Ccm still makes the p45 and p38 curves but they are difficult to find. And if I do its 300.00 a stick. Also im on the short side that needs a righty at roughly 65 flex to get it around 70 to 80 flex after I cut it down.  The w16 has me intrigued. I hear the W04 in warrior is a tavares curve but has to be order custom and I cant imagine what one stick would cost. It's been so long since I played with a tavares curve that I want to order it one more time before I start looking at custom orders. 

W04 is the Darby. I've never compared that to a P45 side by side, but I can see from photos where there might be similarities. The best way to put it might be that the Darby is more like a cross between the P45 and P92. It's a nice mid-heel curve, but quite open and with a substantial rocker on the toe half of the blade. It's a nice curve, but way too moderate for retail; in spite of its boring looks, it's quite versatile.

3 hours ago, flip12 said:

W04 is the Darby. I've never compared that to a P45 side by side, but I can see from photos where there might be similarities. The best way to put it might be that the Darby is more like a cross between the P45 and P92. It's a nice mid-heel curve, but quite open and with a substantial rocker on the toe half of the blade. It's a nice curve, but way too moderate for retail; in spite of its boring looks, it's quite versatile.

Was that similar to the Warrior Vanek / Bauer P89 Eberle?

7 minutes ago, Jamarquan said:

According to what I read. The vanek is the w04 and similar to p89. Is the p89 even avalibl anymore?

So I got the W16 and I'm kinda liking it. I got 1 goal and 1 or 2 assists with it tonight. The square toe was awesome on the boards. The stick felt pretty natural. I bought an intermediate 70 flex to test. The shaft felt a tad thinner than I would like. Wish it was a bit thicker like my ccm stick. So right now thumbs up for the w16/p38 curve. Too bad these are also impossible to find easily.  

9 hours ago, Jamarquan said:

I’m pretty sure they’re all Darbys. I think BASE has it available as one of their “pro” curves, so only available in one hand (left iirc).

4 hours ago, flip12 said:

I’m pretty sure they’re all Darbys. I think BASE has it available as one of their “pro” curves, so only available in one hand (left iirc).

I just wasn't sure what the curve was, because I think the curve was only at retail in the 2007-2011 range and I wasn't playing at that point yet, but it's good to know  and sounds like a nice curve to try if I had the cash.

7 hours ago, flip12 said:

I went on Base and you can order a custom stick in righty as well. Their BM12 curve = P38/W16 and their BM19 = P45. However I am terrible at looking at online curve charts. Their BM19 doesn't look the same to me as the Tavares CCM. 

W16.png?dl=1p45-1.png?dl=1

The BM12 is a much milder curve that the W16 and is a shorter blade length than the P38. I just received some BM12 blades Monday and they are the best copies of the classic Iginla/P12 pattern still available.

On 4/3/2018 at 12:33 PM, dkmiller3356 said:

Tell us more....  six stick minimum still?

22 hours ago, hkygoalie said:

Sounds like something I'm interested in. I need to test the p38 first. I'm getting a w16 (p38 clone) from purehockey today. Hopefully ccm offers p45 as a custom curve too. However curious to know if its a 3 or 5 stick minimum at top tier stick price too.  That may be too much for me to swing. I typically stay in the 149.00 stick range.  I'm just a beer leaguer that can't justify 6 300.00 sticks 

I believe it is a 6 stick minimum, similar build to what is currently offered in OHL and USports hockey. essentially a team stick however this is fully customizable in terms of curve, flex, grip and kick point. price point is much lower, I believe it will be sub 200 CDN. Again, talk to your LHS they'll have their own prices set out, it'll vary based on location

8 hours ago, ParabolicActivity said:

As a beer league I don't want to buy that many sticks at once. It means it will be forever before I get a chance to buy a new one.

If you can find some other people willing to split the cost it becomes a much more viable option, and it gives them a chance to try out the sticks too and see if they like it.

22 hours ago, chippa13 said:

The BM12 is a much milder curve that the W16 and is a shorter blade length than the P38. I just received some BM12 blades Monday and they are the best copies of the classic Iginla/P12 pattern still available.

The BM12 probably wouldn't work for me then. I tried an Iginla one time and I couldn't lift the puck at all. Looks like for now I am stuck with the W16/P38 even though I feel the Tavares p45 give me a tad more height on my wrist shots. The back hand on the W16 is pretty sick though. 

On what stick/blade did you try the Iginla. It was really flattened out on the Mako OPS and replacement blades. In my opinion, the best Iginlas showed up in the first few iterations of the Synthesis blades and on the Stealth line of sticks.