Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Amazinmets73

Curve options

I recently switched curves from a PM9 to a P92. I loved the PM9 curve; the issue was the 5 lie was too low. The P92 is good for stickhandling, however it's difficult to keep passes on the ice and backhand due to the deep curve.

I'm a playmaker/defender who's priorities are passing and stickhandling. I also would prefer a 5.5 or 6 lie.

Which curve would suit me best? 

Keep an eye out for CCM P19.

It’s a shallower, less open P92. It’s been discontinued at retail (old CCM Nugent Hopkins curve) but is readily available in pro stock form via eBay, SidelineSwap, etc. 

Warrior’s variation of the P19 may still exist, W03 I think. Though that may have been tweaked to be more P92 like.

There is always the P88. Everyone makes one of those.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, stick9 said:

Warrior’s variation of the P19 may still exist, W03 I think. Though that may have been tweaked to be more P92 like.

I've never used P88. Comparable to the PM9?

6 hours ago, stick9 said:

W03 is closer to the P92 or old Easton Sakic--quite deep compared to a PM9.

@Larry54's suggestion to check out BASE might help @Amazinmets73. I'd just add, they also have the BC12 in lies 4, 5, and 6. It's the classic mild Easton Iginla curve, a mid that's not very deep or open.

6 hours ago, flip12 said:

W03 is closer to the P92 or old Easton Sakic--quite deep compared to a PM9.

@Larry54's suggestion to check out BASE might help @Amazinmets73. I'd just add, they also have the BC12 in lies 4, 5, and 6. It's the classic mild Easton Iginla curve, a mid that's not very deep or open.

Which is essentially a P88.

1 hour ago, stick9 said:

Which is essentially a P88.

But the P88’s a lot closer to the PM9 in lie. It’s lower than a TC2-5, for instance. That’s not the way the OP wants to go from what it sounds.

Also, depending on how tuned in @Amazinmets73 is to the PM9 rocker, P88 could feel awkwardly flat at the toe on releasing both passes and shots. I think BC12 should play closer to PM9 in that aspect but not 100% sure.

Edited by flip12

/eyeroll  We can argue semantics all day if you'd like. The OP wants a higher lie version of the P09, says he likes the P92 but can't keep the puck on the ice. Doesn't this just scream P88.

And really, suggesting a Base curve. Why not just send him out looking for the Arc of the Covenant.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, stick9 said:

/eyeroll  We can argue semantics all day if you'd like. The OP wants a higher lie version of the P09, says he likes the P92 but can't keep the puck on the ice. Doesn't this just scream P88.

And really, suggesting a Base curve. Why not just send him out looking for the Arc of the Covenant.

More like the Holy Grail, actually. :biggrin: He wants a PM9 in a higher lie. Only BASE has that. I needed a PM9 in a 4 lie and that was my Holy Grail. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, stick9 said:

I was skeptical of Base but I've been happy with the BM12 blades I got from them a few weeks ago. And besides, it's easy to find.......

4 hours ago, stick9 said:

I'm confused, who are you saying is arguing semantics, and why?

I'm just skeptical that the P88 is significantly higher enough to qualify for the increase in lie he seems to be looking for.

If he's on here and he has an address they can ship to, he can find the curve options on BASE's website in less than five minutes.

5 hours ago, chippa13 said:

Just being nitpicky but it is actually BM12.

Thanks for the correction. I never bother to remember what's a BC, BM, BX, or BS from them. I like their multiple lie options, though.

3 hours ago, Larry54 said:

More like the Holy Grail, actually. :biggrin: He wants a PM9 in a higher lie. Only BASE has that. I needed a PM9 in a 4 lie and that was my Holy Grail. 

I've been itching to try that and some of their other lie 4 options. It sucks having so few options on retail.

4 hours ago, Cavs019 said:

FWIW the P88 lie has always felt higher to me- I have to play with the puck a lot closer to my feet vs. PM9/P106.

How does it play compared to the P92 for you?

About the same- both feel like I’m playing with only the heel of the blade on the ice and the toe sticking straight up.  

I get that I can cut my sticks shorter to compensate but I prefer to carry the puck ala Spezza with my hands close and the puck way out in front. 

Anyone been to a BASE location, as opposed to ordering online? Just have a hard time then forcing me to pay 30$ for Canada Post expedited, instead of regular mail, or stopping by their retail location in Edmonton. 

I would definitely try a P88/clone. I used a PM09 style for almost 20 years before doing some experimenting last year. I had the same experience with the P92 type, sailing passes and a terrible backhand. Though, I also had the opposite problem of the lie feeling too high. I ended up settling on the TRUE MC, which gave me the little more curve I was looking for, but not some toe meat hook or heel sand wedge that I couldn't handle. P88 clones also come in various lie options depending on the manufacturer (I think Bauer is a 6).

Edited by Davideo

1 hour ago, Davideo said:

I would definitely try a P88/clone. I used a PM09 style for almost 20 years before doing some experimenting last year. I had the same experience with the P92 type, sailing passes and a terrible backhand. Though, I also had the opposite problem of the lie feeling too high. I ended up settling on the TRUE MC, which gave me the little more curve I was looking for, but not some toe meat hook or heel sand wedge that I couldn't handle. P88 clones also come in various lie options depending on the manufacturer (I think Bauer is a 6).

Bauer calls theirs a 6 but it lines up lower than lie 5 P92s.

Advertised lies should be taken with a grain of salt because where they are measuring could make a big difference on what "lie" a rockered blade comes in at.

Agreed, 100%. That's why it's important to consider the lie's complete curvature from heel to toe. A lot of lie numbers simply make no sense. P28 is higher than P46 and BX27. Their lie numbers don't reflect that though.

That's why I'd suggest BM12 in this case instead of P88.