Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Will Lemmink

Best Roller Hockey Game Puck?| IDS Proshot, Rocket Puck, Bauer Slivvver puck?

Great vid, couldn't agree more except I have wooden hands so prefer the IDS for it's overall performance on the surface (slides better) but have team mates who prefer the rocket - for all the reasons you said.

• Thanks 1

My personal favourite for indoor use on Sport Court was the Verbero Aero puck. http://www.hockeyworldblog.com/2011/07/06/verbero-sports-aero-puck-review/

The Aero puck slid better than the rocket, bauer and IDS. It also stayed flat better than the Rocket and IDS. The Bauer stays pretty flat and has more weight like an ice puck, but doesn't move as well as the Aero. 

The Rocket puck is the default puck for most of the leagues with tournament players simply because it's used for tournaments like NARCh. The Rocket puck was founded in 1999 by Daryn Goodwin who also owns and runs the NARCh Tournaments. So even though pucks like the Aero came out that were better, league owners continue to use the rocket puck because they know that's the only puck that will ever be used at NARCh due to Mr. Goodwin's financial interest in both companies. The IDS puck is the official puck of AAU USA & USA Roller Sports.

Since the Aero puck wasn't the official puck of any major tournaments or leagues, it died out even though it was a good product. The Bauer puck has better distribution in my area than the other pucks around here since you can actually buy it in store instead of online only, but since it's not used in any of the leagues, I don't know how long it will be around.

Another puck that's interesting is the new Hoplite puck. It uses an internal gyroscope distributes momentum to keep the puck flat. I haven't used one yet, but it sounds good in theory: https://www.hoplitepuck.com/

It'd be cool to have an updated comparison that includes the Aero puck and Hoplite, but I know the Aero is in short supply now. 

Coast to Coast does seem to have some Aero pucks in stock: https://coasthockeyshop.com/collections/inline-roller-indoor-oudoor-hockey-pucks-balls-biscuits/products/verbero-aero-puck?variant=12452384644

Edited by althoma1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Vet88 said:

Great vid, couldn't agree more except I have wooden hands so prefer the IDS for it's overall performance on the surface (slides better) but have team mates who prefer the rocket - for all the reasons you said.

Thanks! The IDS does seem to handle better on rougher surfaces. The mini rink I have in the video isn’t the best floor so the ids does seem to handle slightly better. Once on nicer floor like ice court it’s really hard to tell. I can definitely see a lot of people preferring IDS over rocket.

1 hour ago, althoma1 said:

My personal favourite for indoor use on Sport Court was the Verbero Aero puck. http://www.hockeyworldblog.com/2011/07/06/verbero-sports-aero-puck-review/

The Aero puck slid better than the rocket, bauer and IDS. It also stayed flat better than the Rocket and IDS. The Bauer stays pretty flat and has more weight like an ice puck, but doesn't move as well as the Aero. 

The Rocket puck is the default puck for most of the leagues with tournament players simply because it's used for tournaments like NARCh. The Rocket puck was founded in 1999 by Daryn Goodwin who also owns and runs the NARCh Tournaments. So even though pucks like the Aero came out that were better, league owners continue to use the rocket puck because they know that's the only puck that will ever be used at NARCh due to Mr. Goodwin's financial interest in both companies. The IDS puck is the official puck of AAU USA & USA Roller Sports.

Since the Aero puck wasn't the official puck of any major tournaments or leagues, it died out even though it was a good product. The Bauer puck has better distribution in my area than the other pucks around here since you can actually buy it in store instead of online only, but since it's not used in any of the leagues, I don't know how long it will be around.

Another puck that's interesting is the new Hoplite puck. It uses an internal gyroscope distributes momentum to keep the puck flat. I haven't used one yet, but it sounds good in theory: https://www.hoplitepuck.com/

It'd be cool to have an updated comparison that includes the Aero puck and Hoplite, but I know the Aero is in short supply now. 

Coast to Coast does seem to have some Aero pucks in stock: https://coasthockeyshop.com/collections/inline-roller-indoor-oudoor-hockey-pucks-balls-biscuits/products/verbero-aero-puck?variant=12452384644

Yes, I remember the Aero puck. I had one till it hit the post and flew above the netting at sports plus 😂. I remember that puck as being one of the fastest sliding and shooting pucks I have used. I’ve never heard of the hop lite and I might have to give it a try and review considering how much tech it looks like went into it. If I can get my hands on an aero puck too I’ll include it. Thanks for your Reply!

• Like 1

Great job on the video review, always good to see people striving to create.

I've always preferred the feel of the IDS pucks. The combination of weight and depth for feel on the stick, shooting and passing just felt nicest to me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, steve66 said:

Great job on the video review, always good to see people striving to create.

I've always preferred the feel of the IDS pucks. The combination of weight and depth for feel on the stick, shooting and passing just felt nicest to me.

Thank you! 
I did prefer the IDS pucks until I started playing Statewars and Narch. I think because so many people practice with the rocket due to those tournaments it becomes a preference and people ended up liking it better. I think that’s what happened in my case.

• Like 1

Just now, Will Lemmink said:

Thank you! 
I did prefer the IDS pucks until I started playing Statewars and Narch. I think because so many people practice with the rocket due to those tournaments it becomes a preference and people ended up liking it better. I think that’s what happened in my case.

Yeah that makes perfect sense. Neither are bad pucks.

There have been some over the years. I used to hate it when people would voluntarily fish out a Mach1 puck from the net or puck bucket, I never liked those.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, steve66 said:

Yeah that makes perfect sense. Neither are bad pucks.

There have been some over the years. I used to hate it when people would voluntarily fish out a Mach1 puck from the net or puck bucket, I never liked those.

Ha! Yeah, there have been some bad ones over the years. That Sonic Mach 1 was one of them. Someone brought Tron inline pucks to a pickup session ones and I tried it and thought, "man this thing is as bad as the old Mach 1." Then, I took a close look and I think it's a knock off of the Mach 1. Of all the pucks to knock off, why that one? lol. 

2 hours ago, SirJW said:

Add links to the products you review so you can get a % of the sales. 

I didn’t think any hockey stores did that but it seems like pure hockey has a program for it! Do you know of any other websites? Thanks!

7 minutes ago, Will Lemmink said:

I didn’t think any hockey stores did that but it seems like pure hockey has a program for it! Do you know of any other websites? Thanks!

Amazon, heck it's pennies on the dollar but better in your pocket than others....

Check your dm, I sent you more info...

Edited by SirJW
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, SirJW said:

Amazon, heck it's pennies on the dollar but better in your pocket than others....

Check your dm, I sent you more info...

Very true, I’ll have to check it out. Wasn’t on my mind at all. Thanks!

Love the ids pucks, Im not big on the  rocket puck, it seems to be way more jumpy to me.

but maybe that’s just me being more of an ice guy 

Edited by Stewie
  • Like 2

That Bauer Puck has been around forever under a few different names, surprised its still around and being used with how bad it is compared to an IDS or Rocket Puck.

I think the IDS actually plays a little faster and doesn't bobble as much as the Rocket but in terms of weight and feel you can't beat the Rocket puck.

That Verbero puck was the real deal. Unfortunately I stopped playing roller when that thing came out but I remember playing with one and everyone couldn't believe how good it was it. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, the_game said:

That Bauer Puck has been around forever under a few different names, surprised its still around and being used with how bad it is compared to an IDS or Rocket Puck.

I think the IDS actually plays a little faster and doesn't bobble as much as the Rocket but in terms of weight and feel you can't beat the Rocket puck.

That Verbero puck was the real deal. Unfortunately I stopped playing roller when that thing came out but I remember playing with one and everyone couldn't believe how good it was it. 

I totally agree with those first 2 statements. As far as the verbero puck I’m really wanting to give it a try and review now despite being discontinued. I don’t remember enough about the puck to have a solid opinion. From what I heard verbero is also under new ownership. Maybe we could see a comeback of the verbero puck?

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, the_game said:

A few years ago we went to the worlds IIHF tournament in Germany and they dropped the "new" Bauer pucks on us (the IIHF tournament I was at before this they used IDS). It was a nightmare, every team hated them but Bauer had paid bucks for them to be used so we had to suck it up. We brought back 2 boxes of pucks and still have them sitting in the office, no one wants to use them lol.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Vet88 said:

A few years ago we went to the worlds IIHF tournament in Germany and they dropped the "new" Bauer pucks on us (the IIHF tournament I was at before this they used IDS). It was a nightmare, every team hated them but Bauer had paid bucks for them to be used so we had to suck it up. We brought back 2 boxes of pucks and still have them sitting in the office, no one wants to use them lol.

Wow. That’s pretty disappointing. I wonder how the NCRHA teams feel about having to use the puck 😂

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Will Lemmink said:

I totally agree with those first 2 statements. As far as the verbero puck I’m really wanting to give it a try and review now despite being discontinued. I don’t remember enough about the puck to have a solid opinion. From what I heard verbero is also under new ownership. Maybe we could see a comeback of the verbero puck?

Verbero was bought by the same guy that owns Tron. They cleared out a lot of the old Verbero products, including the pucks, on both the Tron and Verbero sites. 

There appears to be one available on Amazon.com right now: https://www.amazon.com/Verbero-70000-b-gr-Aero-Puck/dp/B018LFXXDG

and the Canadian shop Coast to Coast Inline seems to have some (I do think they ship most products internationally though): https://coasthockeyshop.com/products/verbero-aero-puck?variant=12452384644

There's also this California based site that shows some in stock: https://usaskates.com/verbero-aero-inline-hockey-puck/

I wish they'd come back and be used in leagues and tournaments as they're the best inline puck I've ever tried, but I'm not holding my breath. Maybe the Hoplite can compare.

10 hours ago, Will Lemmink said:

Wow. That’s pretty disappointing. I wonder how the NCRHA teams feel about having to use the puck 😂

I didn't realize that the Bauer pucks were used for NCRHA games. After some googling, it seems they made the switch around 2016. No wonder those pucks are still around; I wondered how it was surviving on individual sales alone. 

They do feel weird compared to IDS or Rocket pucks since they're noticeably heavier and don't seem to slide as easily. On the other hand, they do tend to stay flat a little better than the Rocket or IDS based on my limited experience with them.  I definitely didn't love them like the Verbero Aero puck though and am more comfortable with a Rocket or IDS vs. the Bauer. At least the Bauer isn't as bad as the Mach 1/Tron puck. 

Edited by althoma1
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, althoma1 said:

Verbero was bought by the same guy that owns Tron. They cleared out a lot of the old Verbero products, including the pucks, on both the Tron and Verbero sites. 

There appears to be one available on Amazon.com right now: https://www.amazon.com/Verbero-70000-b-gr-Aero-Puck/dp/B018LFXXDG

and the Canadian shop Coast to Coast Inline seems to have some (I do think they ship most products internationally though): https://coasthockeyshop.com/products/verbero-aero-puck?variant=12452384644

There's also this California based site that shows some in stock: https://usaskates.com/verbero-aero-inline-hockey-puck/

I wish they'd come back and be used in leagues and tournaments as they're the best inline puck I've ever tried, but I'm not holding my breath. Maybe the Hoplite can compare.

I didn't realize that the Bauer pucks were used for NCRHA games. After some googling, it seems they made the switch around 2016. No wonder those pucks are still around; I wondered how it was surviving on individual sales alone. 

They do feel weird compared to IDS or Rocket pucks since they're noticeably heavier and don't seem to slide as easily. On the other hand, they do tend to stay flat a little better than the Rocket or IDS based on my limited experience with them.  I definitely didn't love them like the Verbero Aero puck though and am more comfortable with a Rocket or IDS vs. the Bauer. At least the Bauer isn't as bad as the Mach 1/Tron puck. 

Just bought that one on Amazon, I’m also planning on getting a hoplite puck to review. Thanks!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Will Lemmink said:

Back in my day we had to use the Sonic Mach 1 puck for College Roller!

• Like 1

Wow, so much hate for the Bauer Slivver, haha. That and the green biscuit roller hockey pucks are my favorite, mostly due to weight. Could be just me, but I use a very whippy stick (58 flex) and I like feeling the heavier pucks load up like ice hockey pucks.

With the IDS at least, it's so freakin light and it has a much vaguer puck feel. It's true that you can just absolutely launch it off your stick though. When I go from shooting ice to IDS pucks, it's like I have been lifting weights hardcore and I can launch them hard. 

I've actually got a hoplite puck on the way to me now; should deliver soon. yeah, 10 bucks is a lot, but if it's a solid puck, what's a couple of bucks premium over an IDS?

1 minute ago, JSchultz said:

Wow, so much hate for the Bauer Slivver, haha. That and the green biscuit roller hockey pucks are my favorite, mostly due to weight. Could be just me, but I use a very whippy stick (58 flex) and I like feeling the heavier pucks load up like ice hockey pucks.

With the IDS at least, it's so freakin light and it has a much vaguer puck feel. It's true that you can just absolutely launch it off your stick though. When I go from shooting ice to IDS pucks, it's like I have been lifting weights hardcore and I can launch them hard. 

I've actually got a hoplite puck on the way to me now; should deliver soon. yeah, 10 bucks is a lot, but if it's a solid puck, what's a couple of bucks premium over an IDS?

I just ordered a hoplite as well. Doing a comparison soon. I love how the IDS and rocketpuck fly off my stick. It makes me feel as if I actually lift weights 😂😂

13 minutes ago, Will Lemmink said:

I just ordered a hoplite as well. Doing a comparison soon. I love how the IDS and rocketpuck fly off my stick. It makes me feel as if I actually lift weights 😂😂

I noticed you mentioned sports plus and MIHA in your vid too - are you on a local Cincinnati team?