Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Jamarquan

Daniel Carcillo Files Lawsuit Against CHL

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/29330583/daniel-carcillo-leads-class-action-lawsuit-canadian-hockey-league-physical-sexual-abuse

I know a lot of people aren't big on Carcillo both during and after his playing days, but this really needs to be talked about. If I put this in the wrong subforum or it doesn't belong on the site, I apologize; but I want people to know about this and think about how deep some of these issues potentially run. I feel so terrible for those players.

• Thanks 1

It's messed up but not surprising. We've heard stories like this before but I don't think it has been this high of a profile (maybe Theo Fluery). We have to wonder how much of this is still going on at higher levels of hockey. 

Howdy,

Its surprising to me.

Physical abuse to the point of injury.  Forcing a kid to bob for an apple in a pan of urine and cum...

That's a whole different kettle of fish compared to making them chug more booze than they really want or locking them in a bathroom on a bus.  Like to the level of "perpetrators of that should go to jail", IMHO.

https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/more-explosive-and-shocking-allegations-against-junior-hockey-in-newly-filed-lawsuit?fbclid=IwAR0AxIH9-ugPr0FdVTW5w0irpnW2TgX9cf34Gox8FH3vnhtdjQDPBOhnSHQ

Mark

Edited by marka

Very sad and appalling. I thought this was shunned and banned by now. It's especially concerning that coaches participated. Also you'd think someone would have stood up against it but the prospect of the NHL is too important to say anything?   Look around us though, a lot of other appalling things are ignored in our society.

Edited by SirJW

The fraternity mentality leads to all kinds of horrible things. I was never a huge fan of the hockey player Carcillo but good on him for taking the lead on this. I hope this changes things for the better.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, chippa13 said:

The fraternity mentality leads to all kinds of horrible things. I was never a huge fan of the hockey player Carcillo but good on him for taking the lead on this. I hope this changes things for the better.

Ain't that the truth! We as humans try too hard at times to fit in. Disgusting what some of us will justify as permissible. 

My big fear with all of this is that someone in the media could have been privy to some of this information for years - because I understand why players might not speak out during their careers and think of all the sources that reporters have in the CHL - and didn't say anything because the power structure in hockey was big enough to survive it and try to discredit that person. If these prove true (as I assume they are) then the entire thing needs to be cleaned out, but I fear that it may not be.

Edited by Jamarquan
  • Like 1

Something like that happened at University of Vermont, Div I men's hockey. They are one of the bigger programs in the East Coast. Goalie from Canada and other freshmen students got hazed by upper classmen on the team. They got their program suspended for a couple of years.

Edited by caveman27

“I don’t know what went on 15 years ago and we’re not going to judge anybody based on that,” Baker continued. “From what we see, we don’t see any of that occurring. If there’s been a change, there’s been a change. And if it never happened, it never happened. That’s not for us to deal with.”

Are. You. ^&%ing. Kidding. Me?  After all the things that have been going on lately, this guy is taking the ostrich approach and burying his head in the sand?  Start placing your bets...

That's the problem with people who are in charge/places of power. Instead of looking out for the greater good, those people are worried theirs and theirs only. Hopefully, change is coming sooner than later. Clearly long overdue.

• Like 1