Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Goro

Bauer Supreme 3S fitted in store felt good - feel too big on ice

Just bought a pair of Bauer supreme 3S. size 8/ Fit 1. Felt great in the store. Snug. Big toe on my longer foot was just brushing the toecap
I have worn 7.5 supremes for the last 7 years, but the new Bauer scanner had me at an 8.

I tried on the 7.5 this time but my toe was scrunching in the toecap...actually painful when I sat back in my boot.

The guy in the shop said these days the jump to whole sizes is significant. I wish they made a 7 3/4.
I had the 8s heat molded, but it felt like that totally eliminated the snugness.

First game last night and the 8s feel way too big... foot was moving in the boot, boot lacked rigidity, felt like I was clomping around in clown shoes. Re-tied them as tight as I possibly could in the intermission and they still felt off. What the h? Feel like taking them back. Note: I was wearing slightly thinner socks during the game. The boots were molded while I was wearing a thicker sock. I don't think that can account for the difference in feel though. 

Should I give it one more skate to see if I get used to them? Should I have gone with the 7.5s and just punched them out a bit?

Edited by Goro

Well, slim chance the skates get smaller with more use.

Does the 3s have the 3 different fits? Any chance that 8 is a bigger fit than what was scanned? Maybe length is fine, just the wrong width and/or depth...

I haven't used the Bauer scanner but from what I understand it is not the word of God. It should not supersede your practical experience, in the sense that you shouldn't wear a skate that doesn't feel right just because Bauer scanner says you should. Sounds cultish.

Haven't tried on the new line, but the rule of thumb is that if your skates feel like clown shoes then they're too big. Go try on any skates your shop has. Forget branding and which line and pro endorsements. This is especially true now that it seems like fits are changing significantly and there's not a lot of clear info on this new system. Try on any skates you can and see what works.

Thanks for the replies. I tried on multiple sizes and multiple types of ccm as well. The 3S size 8s felt great, I thought they were the ones.

I did want to go a half size smaller but my toe felt too scrunched in the 7.5

The 3S has three different fits and I got the tightesr fit. 

Since I've skated on them I can't return them

Edited by Goro

5 hours ago, Goro said:

Just bought a pair of Bauer supreme 3S. size 8/ Fit 1. Felt great in the store. Snug. Big toe on my longer foot was just brushing the toecap
I have worn 7.5 supremes for the last 7 years, but the new Bauer scanner had me at an 8.

I tried on the 7.5 this time but my toe was scrunching in the toecap...actually painful when I sat back in my boot.

The guy in the shop said these days the jump to whole sizes is significant. I wish they made a 7 3/4.
I had the 8s heat molded, but it felt like that totally eliminated the snugness.

First game last night and the 8s feel way too big... foot was moving in the boot, boot lacked rigidity, felt like I was clomping around in clown shoes. Re-tied them as tight as I possibly could in the intermission and they still felt off. What the h? Feel like taking them back. Note: I was wearing slightly thinner socks during the game. The boots were molded while I was wearing a thicker sock. I don't think that can account for the difference in feel though. 

Should I give it one more skate to see if I get used to them? Should I have gone with the 7.5s and just punched them out a bit?

Did the scanner also recommend FIT1? It sounds to me like you likely needed a 7.5 FIT2. 

1 minute ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

Did the scanner also recommend FIT1? It sounds to me like you likely needed a 7.5 FIT2. 

Good point although that wouldn't help the length of the boot, which my toes were scrunched in the 7.5

Edited by Goro

1 minute ago, Goro said:

I tried a fit 3 bit it wasn't snug enough so I went down to a fit 1 which is the tightest.

But did you try a FIT2? You bascially went from trying on a C width to a E/EE and skipped over an entire width.... 

1 hour ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

Might be wrong but my impression is he is referring to length and not width.

1 hour ago, Goro said:

Good point although that wouldn't help the length of the boot, which my toes were scrunched in the 7.5

My experience with the new Fit system and 3D Scanner is that it has been pretty accurate when it comes to size.  Often however, folks can't get their foot fully seated into the back of the skate and it feels too tight for them lengthwise out of the box.  When the skate is baked and the foot is fully seated in the back of the boot. the length is now fine.  Preference as to how one wants their skates to fit also needs to be taken into consideration.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

But did you try a FIT2? You bascially went from trying on a C width to a E/EE and skipped over an entire width.... 

Sorry I misread you at first. I don’t believe I tried on the 7.5 fit 2. But it was the toe cap that felt cramped in the 7.5 fit 3

Curious why you didn’t try Fit 2 if you’ve been skating in Supremes for the last 7 years. Fit 1 is lower volume like the Vapor line. If the Supreme line fits your feet I would think you’d gravitate toward Fit 2 first. The fact you didn’t even try this fit before buying the skates doesn’t make any sense? 

at this point talk to the shop and see if they will exchange them

• Like 1

Yeah if you've been wearing Supremes for years then I'd guess fit2 from what I understand of the new sizing. The fact that they were short in the toes might not be an issue after baking, like some folks mentioned above.

Depends on how the boot is made, but if the heel packs out a bit and opens up slightly, your foot will sit further back in the heel pocket and your toes will have some more room.

In fact, that sounds like exactly what happened in the case of your 8s and why they feel too big. Essentially, assume the same thing that happened with the 8s (baked, foot slides further back into heel pocket, skates all the sudden are too long) would happen with 7.5s and they would probably feel fine after a bake.

I'd go talk to the shop. Firstly, they should know this. Secondly, it's always worth a shot. 

Go for one more skate with the socks that you were baked with. Socks make a big diff. Trust me. When I wore socks that were slightly thinner it felt sloppy as hell. For example when I wear the UA over calf hockey socks and Bauer cut resistance it's perfect. When I tried to wear the true cut resistance it felt as if my skates were a full size off and heel lock was non existent. 

pS. I've been wearing size 7s for the last decade. From the Bauer one100 to the CCM as1 and even Bauer x2.9 I tried on fit the same lengthwise as my one100. As others mentioned baking and setting the heel properly makes a diff too. Also when u get into the hockey stance with knees and ankles flexed your toes will pull away from the end of the toe cap. If you get into the stance and it still rubs then it's too small. 

Edited by Sniper9

5 hours ago, Westside said:

Curious why you didn’t try Fit 2 if you’ve been skating in Supremes for the last 7 years. Fit 1 is lower volume like the Vapor line. If the Supreme line fits your feet I would think you’d gravitate toward Fit 2 first. The fact you didn’t even try this fit before buying the skates doesn’t make any sense? 

at this point talk to the shop and see if they will exchange them

Yeah I think it was a combo of the scanner saying 8, the 7.5 feeling too small, and the 8 fit 3 feeling a bit too wide, he just bumped all the way down to a fit 1.

4 hours ago, Goro said:

Yeah I think it was a combo of the scanner saying 8, the 7.5 feeling too small, and the 8 fit 3 feeling a bit too wide, he just bumped all the way down to a fit 1.

Hopefully your shop is decent and this is just a mistake on their part. A few people have posted on here that due to Bauer's new fit system, they have supposedly made the boots more thermoformable. I would guess that the guys in the shop didn't take this into account since this line is fairly new and they might not even realize. Definitely let them know. Even if they can't do anything for you, they might not screw it up for the next guy if you bring to they're attn. 

12 minutes ago, Miller55 said:

Hopefully your shop is decent and this is just a mistake on their part. A few people have posted on here that due to Bauer's new fit system, they have supposedly made the boots more thermoformable. I would guess that the guys in the shop didn't take this into account since this line is fairly new and they might not even realize. Definitely let them know. Even if they can't do anything for you, they might not screw it up for the next guy if you bring to they're attn. 

I'm going to take them back today and plead for an exchange. Hopefully it works out. I think you and others are right, having the 7.5s molded with my heel locked in all the way back is the way to go. The guy at the shop originally recommended the 7.5s, but he can only go on what I tell him I feel walking around in them in the store. I told him the toe felt scrunched so he brought out the 8s. We'll see. 

Edited by Goro

16 minutes ago, Goro said:

I'm going to take them back today and plead for an exchange. Hopefully it works out. I think you and others are right, having the 7.5s molded with my heel locked in all the way back is the way to go. The guy at the shop originally recommended the 7.5s, but he can only go on what I tell him I feel walking around in them in the store. I told him the toe felt scrunched so he brought out the 8s. We'll see. 

If he recommended the 7.5 at first and you wanted 8 then that much me an issue. Honestly why don't you just try walking around in them in the socks you were baked in. Like I said, sock thickness makes a huge difference. Even the sock material does. 

1 minute ago, Sniper9 said:

If he recommended the 7.5 at first and you wanted 8 then that much me an issue. Honestly why don't you just try walking around in them in the socks you were baked in. Like I said, sock thickness makes a huge difference. Even the sock material does. 

I will try that before I go back. 

You could always try putting some Powerfeet or something similar in the skates to see if that helps any.  Just put them in (don't remove the adhesive backing) and see if they help cut down movement.  However, if the skates are too big, they're too big and Powerfeet won't make a significant difference.

1 minute ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

You could always try putting some Powerfeet or something similar in the skates to see if that helps any.  Just put them in (don't remove the adhesive backing) and see if they help cut down movement.  However, if the skates are too big, they're too big and Powerfeet won't make a significant difference.

I have superfeet in the 8s now, but you're right they aren't helping the sizing. 

Depending on what the last model of Supreme's you had was, the 8 may be the proper size.  Starting with the 1S in 2016, Bauer adjusted the sizing of their lasts and things got smaller by about 1/2 size.  I wore 8EE's in Supremes for probably 15 years, up until the MX3.  I think you would have had to cut my toes off to make them fit into an 8 2S Pro.  The scanner had me at a 8.5D Vapor.  That's too narrow for the balls of my feet and toes (but ok in the mid foot).  I spoke to a product designer at Bauer (after being transferred a few times) and he confirmed the sizing change in 2016.  Sure enough, a 8.5D 2S Pro fits me perfect.  There are a few hot spots, but they were easily fixed with a little bumping during baking.  So if your last pair of skates was before the 1S, then you likely do need to go up a half size.  If they were after, you would likely need 7.5 Fit 2.

The difference in socks may be the problem.  That Carbon Curv is Bauer's most thermoformable material.  It molds pretty well, much better than any of the materials in the past, and then becomes pretty rigid (also more rigid than in the past).  If you got it kind of close in the store with the thicker socks, the material isn't going to flex in to fit your foot with the thinner socks, it's going to leave a gap.The tongue is also thermoformable, so if you aren't tucking it in as far as you did when you baked them, then there will be extra negative space as well.

Edited by psulion22

6 hours ago, Goro said:

It sounds to me like this shop did a half assed job.....

Edited by SkateWorksPNW
  • Like 1

Also, here's a good test to check for length.  Put the skate on and kneel down with your toes pointing towards the floor.  Tap the toe of the skates on the floor until your toes just brush the inside of the toe cap but are comfortable.  Then see how much room there is in the heel.  It helps if you can have another person do that for you.  There shouldn't be too much space.  Maybe a pencil should be able to fit behind your achilles with less behind the heel.  If you can fit a finger in there or a pencil isn't getting much resistance, then they are too long.  With new skates in a shop, it's sometimes hard to get a feel for the length because the ankle padding is so thick and form fits so much when baking.  What feels like too small, will lengthen out when baked.  This test is a good one for unbaked skates because you'd be able to tell if the heel is seated properly.  If there isn't much space behind the heel, and the toes are still tight, then the skate is too small.  But if there is space behind the heel, the skate may be the right size, and the tightness will go away after baking and being able to push the heel back further.

19 minutes ago, psulion22 said:

Depending on what the last model of Supreme's you had was, the 8 may be the proper size.  Starting with the 1S in 2016, Bauer adjusted the sizing of their lasts and things got smaller by about 1/2 size.  I wore 8EE's in Supremes for probably 15 years, up until the MX3.  I think you would have had to cut my toes off to make them fit into an 8 2S Pro.  The scanner had me at a 8.5D Vapor.  That's too narrow for the balls of my feet and toes (but ok in the mid foot).  I spoke to a product designer at Bauer (after being transferred a few times) and he confirmed the sizing change in 2016.  Sure enough, a 8.5D 2S Pro fits me perfect.  There are a few hot spots, but they were easily fixed with a little bumping during baking.  So if your last pair of skates was before the 1S, then you likely do need to go up a half size.  If they were after, you would likely need 7.5 Fit 2.

The difference in socks may be the problem.  That Carbon Curv is Bauer's most thermoformable material.  It molds pretty well, much better than any of the materials in the past, and then becomes pretty rigid (also more rigid than in the past).  If you got it kind of close in the store with the thicker socks, the material isn't going to flex in to fit your foot with the thinner socks, it's going to leave a gap.The tongue is also thermoformable, so if you aren't tucking it in as far as you did when you baked them, then there will be extra negative space as well.

I wore the Supreme one in a 7.5 starting in I think 2012...so that could be why the new scan had me at an 8. I'm going to try the 8s with thicker socks, and I'll go back to to try on a 7.5 fit 2 also. 

16 minutes ago, Goro said:

I wore the Supreme one in a 7.5 starting in I think 2012...so that could be why the new scan had me at an 8. I'm going to try the 8s with thicker socks, and I'll go back to to try on a 7.5 fit 2 also. 

I'd also have them baked again, with the socks you'd wear in a game.  The quarter is much more formable than you've had in the past.  Get the tongue seated properly, all the way in. Kind of mold the sides in gently with your hands as you tighten them.  I was able to get such good wrap and fit on my foot, I don't even need to tie anything but the top 2-3 eyelets for support.