Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
IPv6Freely

[PLAY-IN] (5) Pittsburgh Penguins vs. (12) Montreal Canadiens

Who will win the series?  

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Saturday, Aug. 1: Canadiens vs. Penguins, 8 p.m. ET – NBC
Monday, Aug. 3: Canadiens vs. Penguins, 8 p.m. ET – NBCSN
Wednesday, Aug. 5: Penguins vs. Canadiens, 8 p.m. ET – NBCSN
Friday, Aug. 7: Penguins vs. Canadiens*
Saturday, Aug. 8: Canadiens vs. Penguins*

This is the only sweep I'm predicting. People keep taking about the "Price Factor", but let's be honest, he hasn't been all that great in at least a couple seasons. I'm glad to see Max Domi playing though. 

Yeah, Price is one of the most overrated players in the league at this point.  We will see, word is Murray has looked awful but that is coming from the one or two reporters allowed in each practice.

I think the Habs will steal at least one, but even as a Habs fan I don't see them coming out of this one. Even if Murray looks bad, I think Jarry is quite good.

I don't think that Price is overrated imo, as he's been voted time and time again as the best by those who actually play against him. But unless he goes on the crazy hot streak + luck like Halak had that one year, he won't be able to sway the outcomes.

1 hour ago, BenBreeg said:

Yeah, Price is one of the most overrated players in the league at this point.  We will see, word is Murray has looked awful but that is coming from the one or two reporters allowed in each practice.

Agreed with the overrated bit. People are definitely still stuck on how good he used to be. 

I wonder if the Penguins are doing the same thing as the Leafs - loading up all their good players on the opposite practice squad of the starting goalie and just absolutely lighting them up so they're game-ready, rather than allowing them to just float through the "pre-season" and then getting shelled in the playoffs. Theres a video of Andersen getting LIT UP at a practice, like he can't stop anything. I... hope thats a reverse psychology thing, and not just him being absolute trash. Maybe Murray is in a similar boat. Just trying to shell him so he's ready to go. 

These are my two favorite teams in the league. I'm hoping Montreal will win it, but I think Pittsburgh has the offense to win the series. Price is my favorite goalie. Malkin is my favorite player.

Long term, even if Montreal wins this series, they don't have the total package to get into Stanley Cup compared to other teams.

• Like 1

Yeah, Pens are pretty deep.  McCann and Hornqvist on the third line is strong and the forth has already shown it’s very effective.  Plus a way underrated blue line.

I'm a Habs fan, but realistically Pittsburgh has more game breaking players and depth. I'd love to see an upset and think they'll steal a game or two, but see the Pens taking it in 4 or 5. I hope I'm wrong. 

When Malkin, Crosby and Letang were on the long 5 on 3 PP I thought they would score for sure.

As a Habs fan, I was thankful Malkin missed so many chances. He looked very dangerous his first couple shifts. I don't think he'll be held off the board much longer though.

Suzuki played a great game for Montreal and obviously Price did as well. KK was solid. I would like to see Evans and Hudon in over Weise and Weal, but it's unlikely Julien will make any changes after the win. 

I hate when people always go after Murray but those last two were on him, the fourth one 110%.  It's like he goes into RVH no matter what and has been burned repeatedly by it.

Conversely Price's ad-hoc VH deadarm thing that he did was masterful. It's like he willed the shot to hit him in the pads. RVH at that moment might have burned him.

I also found that Byron's wrap around would not have worked if he was somehow stronger with his pads on the posts.

2 hours ago, Giltis said:

Conversely Price's ad-hoc VH deadarm thing that he did was masterful. It's like he willed the shot to hit him in the pads. RVH at that moment might have burned him.

I also found that Byron's wrap around would not have worked if he was somehow stronger with his pads on the posts.

On the Byron goal he for some reason moved out like he thought it was a pass to the slot, so then he was sliding back toward the goal mouth it seemed and into the net, so I don't think he really had any lateral pressure against the post.  I have no idea what he was thinking.

7 hours ago, BenBreeg said:

I hate when people always go after Murray but those last two were on him, the fourth one 110%.  It's like he goes into RVH no matter what and has been burned repeatedly by it.

To be clear, he played it correctly. The RVH was the right save selection for that situation. You’re playing percentages. 

2 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

To be clear, he played it correctly. The RVH was the right save selection for that situation. You’re playing percentages. 

I'll defer to you on technique as I'm not a goalie.  Maybe his execution of the technique sucks, he has gotten beaten there on many occasions and seems to find a way to make himself as small as possible.  For me, from that angle and distance, it shouldn't take much technique or calculation.  Standing there covering the post a la the 1950s should pretty much convert that shot to 0% probability of success.

54 minutes ago, BenBreeg said:

I'll defer to you on technique as I'm not a goalie.  Maybe his execution of the technique sucks, he has gotten beaten there on many occasions and seems to find a way to make himself as small as possible.  For me, from that angle and distance, it shouldn't take much technique or calculation.  Standing there covering the post a la the 1950s should pretty much convert that shot to 0% probability of success.

But makes the probability of a tip in from a pass absolutely skyrocket because you’re so out of position. 

Understood, but I find it hard to fathom how someone 6’4” always gets beat up over the shoulder and gets so small.  Regardless, the guy is like 2-10 in his most recent playoff games, can’t see how he is a sacred cow for next game.

I've been seeing that this is considered an RVHFAIL. Seems like a more recent recant of the technique is that when the shooter is further out than the hash marks, you should be coming out of it.

Also, when I searched for "Murray RVH goal" it's not even the first time he's been had https://www.pensburgh.com/2016/6/5/11863304/penguins-sharks-stanley-cup-finals-series-game-3-goal-donskoi

Jordan Eberle did it last year as well in Game 3. It's a hard shooting angle but Murray seems to have been beaten by it quite often, although I haven't played goal since probably 6th grade so I don't know if there's a better technique to use in that situation.

Link to Eberle goal, about 1:15 in: