Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Jeff Rumson

Ultrasonic skates

The ONE90 was the first leap from a traditional skate into what we have today as it required a completely different manufacturing process.

Skates before then were flat, then built up then lasted. ONE90 changed all that. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, pgeorgan said:

An entire thread dedicated to the Ultras. Not a single person talking about the profile they come with...

I ordered customs and I was excited to try the quad power profile until I looked over the order form and realized the employee selected no profile on the blades 🙄

They were delivered with a stock 10' profile, I had my own 9/10' profile applied but I will say the steel is significantly better than years past. It's not in the same category as step steel in my experience but the added height, in addition to the titanium coating has greatly improved the stock offering. The steel feels much harder than Bauer steel tends to feel, but in a solid stable feel not harsh. I generally skate on an 11/16" hollow but I'm contemplating going down to a 3/4" the edges seem to have a bit more bite, I'm not sure if that is the titanium coating or placebo but I do think most people would be able to get away with one less hollow on their edges and have the same if not improved performance as before. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pgeorgan said:

An entire thread dedicated to the Ultras. Not a single person talking about the profile they come with...

Top 3 Supreme skates (3S on size 4 and up) come with a Quad 0 profile.  Junior 3S have a 13' profile.

1 hour ago, cougarscaptain87 said:

I ordered customs and I was excited to try the quad power profile until I looked over the order form and realized the employee selected no profile on the blades 🙄

They were delivered with a stock 10' profile, I had my own 9/10' profile applied but I will say the steel is significantly better than years past. It's not in the same category as step steel in my experience but the added height, in addition to the titanium coating has greatly improved the stock offering. The steel feels much harder than Bauer steel tends to feel, but in a solid stable feel not harsh. I generally skate on an 11/16" hollow but I'm contemplating going down to a 3/4" the edges seem to have a bit more bite, I'm not sure if that is the titanium coating or placebo but I do think most people would be able to get away with one less hollow on their edges and have the same if not improved performance as before. 

Not sure why, but Customs come with stock 10' steel.  If you select customize the steel option for an additional $50 you can choose Quad 0, Zuperior, or a few single profiles. The $50 covers the profile and name/number (if you want it) on the runner.

Toe geometry on stock Pulse TI and LS Pulse is more similar to step and different from what comes on the retail skates.

6 hours ago, redlight31 said:

To anyone that has been using these skates with this new (for Bauer) profile: how different does it feel on the ice coming from a 10ft or 9ft runner radius?

Thanks in advance for your replies!!

It feels like a ProSharp Quad profile without any pitch. I suggest looking at the ProSharp section and reading the reviews people posted about the Quad 0 profile. 

10 hours ago, redlight31 said:

To anyone that has been using these skates with this new (for Bauer) profile: how different does it feel on the ice coming from a 10ft or 9ft runner radius?

Thanks in advance for your replies!!

It's a pretty easy transition. A bit more agility with better stability. 

2 hours ago, stick9 said:

It's a pretty easy transition. A bit more agility with better stability. 

That’s what I was hoping for. I’ve been using 9ft radius ls2 runners for over 15 years. Briefly tried 10ft radius ls5 runners last year and for me, there was definitely a transition period. I hope the quad profile feels closer to the ls2’s. 

My customs arrived today. Overall nice fit and finish. Disappointed they didn't do them in gunmetal as I requested. They got all of the fit specifications correct including oversized ankle pads, clarino liners, longer tongue, extra width at the pinky toes, oversized holders, among other things. Gonna give them a skate tonight to see how they compare vs my TRUE customs. 

yPdRsxD.jpg

ngyJsrf.jpg

8MrbhTN.jpg

Edited by SkateWorksPNW
grammar ediits
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

My customs arrived today. Overall nice fit and finish. Disappointed they didn't do them in gunmetal as I requested. 

Haven't seen a custom worksheet/excel file in a couple of years.  Was color change an option on there or is just a MyBauer option?  2 different levels of custom.  

MyBauer customs came in.  I went with the gunmetal color and a felt tongue.  Fit is unbelievable and finish is good.  It will be a couple of days before I get to skate on them and get my first impression of them on the ice.

16 minutes ago, Miller55 said:

Dang those are some tall tongues. Look nice, looking forward to hearing about performance

They are only 1/2" taller than standard but I went with the low boot cut so the boot itself is also 1/2" shorter than standard. Makes those tongues look huge. lol

16 minutes ago, Asian Tomatoe said:

I didn't know you could still get clarino liners at retail custom. Can you get Ultrasonic without the flexible tendon guards?

Not retail custom. These are full custom. 

At full custom you can request standaard tendon guards. 

Edited by SkateWorksPNW

@SkateWorksPNW can all retailers process full customs? I was told that myBauer is the only choice and now I'm feeling like I was mislead, I was also told that no manufacturer was offering a lower cut boot like the CCM total customs had last year... starting to feel like I got the raw end of the deal on my latest pair of skates 

37 minutes ago, cougarscaptain87 said:

@SkateWorksPNW can all retailers process full customs? I was told that myBauer is the only choice and now I'm feeling like I was mislead, I was also told that no manufacturer was offering a lower cut boot like the CCM total customs had last year... starting to feel like I got the raw end of the deal on my latest pair of skates 

Not sure if all dealers can but I do know some (other than myself) that have ordered full customs with and without a scan. I imagine it depends on the Bauer rep. 

5 hours ago, cougarscaptain87 said:

What exactly what/are you looking for?  The majority of people don't need anything more than what you get from MyBauer.  

1 hour ago, mojo122 said:

What exactly what/are you looking for?  The majority of people don't need anything more than what you get from MyBauer.  

I have a pair of custom one95s that are the full custom, when I went to get my new skates I knew I was going custom and was told myBauer was the new way they did customs. My one95s have two different lengths, increased height in the quarters to add volume, I was able to get an E/A last that fits my foot nearly perfectly, clarino liners, extra stiff, additional ankle padding, double stitching, lower cut boot height, and on the one95s I had the mega flop white felts, I wasn't going to get those this time but I had A LOT more options my last go around. This was obviously well before foot scans were available at least to mere mortals like myself so everything was done based on tracing and tape measurements around 4-6 points on my foot and ankle and the skates fit 100% perfect in my estimation. 

Not to get off topic but I went in wanting CCM total custom AS3 Pros, between my supreme one95s and my new skates I wore first gen one piece boot super tacks in just a retail build, they fit well but not perfect. I thought the AS3 was the next logical step but I couldn't get over the feeling of my toes going numb with the new tongue attachment system and I was told you can not have the tongues sewn in opposed to the new system even at the total custom level, as well as they had done away with offering lower cut boots and additional height in the comfort pad (I was going to get 3mm off the stock boot and add 3mm of comfort pad) so then I started trying on the ultrasonic since I had experience with Bauer customs in the past.

At about 45 minutes into the fitting it was seeming as I wasn't going to get what I initially came in for so I started to settle, I was told you can only do FIT 1 2 or 3 even in customs, no more option for forefoot and heel width, you can't add height to the quarter package, and you can't remove height from the boot cut. I was recommended a fit 3 on the scanner but every fit 3 in the store felt too deep and wide, but fit 2 was a hair snug in the width from my ankle bone to my toes and the volume was a bit shallow so I had to decide that I thought going with a fit 2 and the low profile tongue would open up the volume of the boot but that still didn't solve the width issue. 

I ended up ordering 9.25 on the right 9 on the left, fit 2, molded felt tongue pulse Ti steel (wanted to try the power profile but it came with a stock 10') and the standard ultrasonic liner because it seemed better than the one very similar alternative, would have loved clarino the only reason I need to replace my Super Tacks is the microfiber liner is falling apart on my right skate.

I received the skates a few weeks ago and they fit alright, now with the molded felt the volume is a bit loose, width is a bit tight (opened up a bit with two bakes) and the insoles were way too short, when I asked for some that fit the only ones they had were from the APX2 vapors and they don't really fit great either, small thing to complain about but at nearly $1200 I do expect the insoles to fit properly. 

I really wish I could have gotten the skates in the 9.25 and 9 lengths, E/A last, increased quarter packages and ankle padding, clarino liner, lower boot cut, traditional felt tongue, and double stitching. I still like my new skates but I do feel like they could have been done a bit differently based on my past experiences. 

25 minutes ago, cougarscaptain87 said:

I have a pair of custom one95s that are the full custom, when I went to get my new skates I knew I was going custom and was told myBauer was the new way they did customs. My one95s have two different lengths, increased height in the quarters to add volume, I was able to get an E/A last that fits my foot nearly perfectly, clarino liners, extra stiff, additional ankle padding, double stitching, lower cut boot height, and on the one95s I had the mega flop white felts, I wasn't going to get those this time but I had A LOT more options my last go around. This was obviously well before foot scans were available at least to mere mortals like myself so everything was done based on tracing and tape measurements around 4-6 points on my foot and ankle and the skates fit 100% perfect in my estimation. 

Not to get off topic but I went in wanting CCM total custom AS3 Pros, between my supreme one95s and my new skates I wore first gen one piece boot super tacks in just a retail build, they fit well but not perfect. I thought the AS3 was the next logical step but I couldn't get over the feeling of my toes going numb with the new tongue attachment system and I was told you can not have the tongues sewn in opposed to the new system even at the total custom level, as well as they had done away with offering lower cut boots and additional height in the comfort pad (I was going to get 3mm off the stock boot and add 3mm of comfort pad) so then I started trying on the ultrasonic since I had experience with Bauer customs in the past.

At about 45 minutes into the fitting it was seeming as I wasn't going to get what I initially came in for so I started to settle, I was told you can only do FIT 1 2 or 3 even in customs, no more option for forefoot and heel width, you can't add height to the quarter package, and you can't remove height from the boot cut. I was recommended a fit 3 on the scanner but every fit 3 in the store felt too deep and wide, but fit 2 was a hair snug in the width from my ankle bone to my toes and the volume was a bit shallow so I had to decide that I thought going with a fit 2 and the low profile tongue would open up the volume of the boot but that still didn't solve the width issue. 

I ended up ordering 9.25 on the right 9 on the left, fit 2, molded felt tongue pulse Ti steel (wanted to try the power profile but it came with a stock 10') and the standard ultrasonic liner because it seemed better than the one very similar alternative, would have loved clarino the only reason I need to replace my Super Tacks is the microfiber liner is falling apart on my right skate.

I received the skates a few weeks ago and they fit alright, now with the molded felt the volume is a bit loose, width is a bit tight (opened up a bit with two bakes) and the insoles were way too short, when I asked for some that fit the only ones they had were from the APX2 vapors and they don't really fit great either, small thing to complain about but at nearly $1200 I do expect the insoles to fit properly. 

I really wish I could have gotten the skates in the 9.25 and 9 lengths, E/A last, increased quarter packages and ankle padding, clarino liner, lower boot cut, traditional felt tongue, and double stitching. I still like my new skates but I do feel like they could have been done a bit differently based on my past experiences. 

I know most bigger stores arent even aware that they can still submit a full custom order via the excel document and instead only sell the general retail custom build. Both CCM and Bauer have a full custom spreadsheet that has all of those options that you wanted, and more. 

I know a customer that ordered a cery custom pair of FT2 skates recently. He requested 3mm extra height + 3mm extra comfort pads on one skate and 6mm extra height + 3mm extra comfort pad on the other skate due to ankle surgery. He needed some extra volume on the one foot. Different size skates, different widths, selected a tan clarino liner, and went with oversized ankle pads with poron. He also requested the standard tongue instead of the removable/replaceable tongue and went with oversized holders. Added extra stiffness to the ankle area as well. These suckers were about as custom as you can get. 

I guess some of the smaller more specialty stores are more aware that they can do these types of orders for customers while others either arent aware or just dont care. 

Edited by SkateWorksPNW
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

I know most bigger stores arent even aware that they can still submit a full custom order via the excel document and instead only sell the general retail custom build. Both CCM and Bauer have a full custom spreadsheet that has all of those options that you wanted, and more. 

I know a customer that ordered a cery custom pair of FT2 skates recently. He requested 3mm extra height + 3mm extra comfort pads on one skate and 6mm extra height + 3mm extra comfort pad on the other skate due to ankle surgery. He needed some extra volume on the one foot. Different size skates, different widths, selected a tan clarino liner, and went with oversized ankle pads with poron. He also requested the standard tongue instead of the removable/replaceable tongue and went with oversized holders. Added extra stiffness to the ankle area as well. These suckers were about as custom as you can get. 

I guess some of the smaller more specialty stores are more aware that they can do these types of orders for customers while others either arent aware or just dont care. 

So when I was in Blainville for training before the MyBauer custom went live, I was told that fitters would be able to submit spec sheets/reorder by ticket number.  I talked to someone at my previous employer a year later and he said that the only option they gave store managers was through MyBauer.  Mind you 99% of retailers don't know how to build a custom skate that way, so I can definitely see how they don't give that option.

12 hours ago, cougarscaptain87 said:

Did I build these?  I can't remember.

13 hours ago, cougarscaptain87 said:

This is the reality with most custom nowadays. I know with gloves the custom options are basically nill compared to what you used to get. Eagle and Warrior are a joke now. Most shops are very limited in custom work. Graf will still do very custom stuff, as will Bauer and CCM but you really have to know someone to get it done right.

25 minutes ago, Miller55 said:

This is the reality with most custom nowadays. I know with gloves the custom options are basically nill compared to what you used to get. Eagle and Warrior are a joke now. Most shops are very limited in custom work. Graf will still do very custom stuff, as will Bauer and CCM but you really have to know someone to get it done right.

I havent seen a custom glove order in a very long time, other than team gloves. 

Had my third skate with these today. The overall review would be, meh, at this point. 

Maybe I am just used to TRUE but these still don't give me that connected feel with the ice. 

I have pain points and discomfort in multiple areas that I am going to have to work out. My profile doesn't feel right, the boot must be pitched differently or Bauer mounts there holders more forward or back than my TRUE ones since I feel very off balance. I dont really care for this flexible tendon guard but the new toe cap is nice. Ankle padding is very comfortable and the clarino liner actually extends all the way into the toe cap with the toe cap having a little bit of felt on the top which is also nice. 

I think I need to spend a little more time trying to tweak them before I can give me full official feedback. As of right now, they seem decent enough to wear in a low-end drop-in or pick-up hockey but if I was skating with the usual group of players I would definitely use my TRUE skates. I feel like I am playing C-league with these on. I am much slower and unsure of my edges due to the balance-related issues. 

I am going to spend the day messing with them and then will try and get some ice time tonight.