Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Riggo

Trend Toward Grip Sticks

I am seeing more and more Stick manufacturers going toward only making their stick with the "Grip" feel. For instance, the Vapor line only comes in Grip.

I hate the grip. Like to be able to slide my hands. Most forwards I talk to feel the same.

Why do we have this trend? Are stick manufacturers missing the boat?

I am seeing more and more Stick manufacturers going toward only making their stick with the "Grip" feel. For instance, the Vapor line only comes in Grip.

I hate the grip. Like to be able to slide my hands. Most forwards I talk to feel the same.

Don't choke your stick and you should have no problems.

Don't choke your stick and you should have no problems.

Having a good palm on your glove makes it very hard to move your hands on a grip stick. I used a pair of Eagles with a goat palm and it makes most grip shafts unbearable, no matter how hard you grip.

I used to like grips, but my dad was so opposed to them. Then I got eagles with leather palms and a Vapor XX. Leather+grip= bad idea. I finally see my dads point.

At first, I used to hate grip on stick. But now that I'm use to grip stick, I think I could not comeback to stick without grip.

But I understand guys who don't like them...

Here is a hypothetical question: if you found a stick that had everything you were looking for (flex, curve, performance, durability, price), but it didn't come in grip, would you still get it, or would you settle for something less?

I went stick shopping with my friend this weekend. He found the L-2 to be perfect for him, but because it didn't have grip, he didn't want it. He ended up settling for a Z Bubble Grip. I know I personally would go for the stick that met every other criteria for me first, and then look for grip. I perfer having grip on my sticks, but it isn't a reason to not get a stick for me.

It's interesting to see manufacturers going to grippier palms on gloves. Could this be a sign that grip sticks may not be needed soon? It would be nice for shops to not have to stock double the inventory

Here is a hypothetical question: if you found a stick that had everything you were looking for (flex, curve, performance, durability, price), but it didn't come in grip, would you still get it, or would you settle for something less?

I went stick shopping with my friend this weekend. He found the L-2 to be perfect for him, but because it didn't have grip, he didn't want it. He ended up settling for a Z Bubble Grip. I know I personally would go for the stick that met every other criteria for me first, and then look for grip. I perfer having grip on my sticks, but it isn't a reason to not get a stick for me.

I'd say you have a great point here...If I can have a stick that gives all I want except grip and I have the money for, I will go for it.

I'd get the stick that worked best and upgrade my gloves as my next purchase. The stick isn't the only thing that improves grip.

I went stick shopping with my friend this weekend.  He found the L-2 to be perfect for him, but because it didn't have grip, he didn't want it.  He ended up settling for a Z Bubble Grip.  I know I personally would go for the stick that met every other criteria for me first, and then look for grip.  I perfer having grip on my sticks, but it isn't a reason to not get a stick for me.

I'd get the stick that worked best and upgrade my gloves as my next purchase. The stick isn't the only thing that improves grip.

Hey Chadd,

Maybe you will find I'm ignorant, but what kind of palm is the best for the grip?

I went stick shopping with my friend this weekend.  He found the L-2 to be perfect for him, but because it didn't have grip, he didn't want it.  He ended up settling for a Z Bubble Grip.  I know I personally would go for the stick that met every other criteria for me first, and then look for grip.  I perfer having grip on my sticks, but it isn't a reason to not get a stick for me.

Hey Chadd,

Maybe you will find I'm ignorant, but what kind of palm is the best for the grip?

right now, the best is anything with a goat palm or at least a patch of goatskin. At least that's what I've found so far.

I can't stand grippy sticks. I used a Louisville rubber shaft a while ago and after a few uses I ditched it.

I just slide a candle up and down the shaft on the edges and I'm good to go :)

I love grip sticks. I had a Z bubble grip and then tried to use a non grip Si-Core, I didnt like it too much , and as soon as it broke I got the Vapor XX, partly because I liked the grip on it. Only bad thing is grip peels fast sometimes, or gets rubbed off or whatever from slashes and stuff.

all the stickhandling instructors ive had have discouraged grip sticks for having "limited hand sliding" but i dont know if thats really a factor... IMO grips make no difference except on the price tag

Right now I'm using eagle w/goatskin and an inno w/soft grip, and I actually like it. When I take a slapshot it doesnt slip or slide, I trieed my synthesis w/out grip and I can't stand it, I put like 4 layers of wax on the shaft.

I really like Grip sticks, but its never been a discouraging factor if the stick doesn't have grip. Worst comes to worst I can always add my own, but for the first time in my life I used a non-grip stick and found I had to switch because of the sliding. It was a Vector 110, wasn't my first vector either, but it was incredibly slick. I'm hoping my Stealth doesn't feel the same way, but there are always things I can do to add grip. Like I said earlier without grip is fine for me, but grip just makes a good thing better in my opinion.

The very first grip stick I used was a Z-Bubble Grip (the original "MM" ;) )

At first, I bought it out of curiousity just to try it out. I hated it at first and felt like my gloves were sticking too much. Eventually I really got used to it and went on to buy a Synergy Grip (gold). It was a bit tackier but again, I became accustomed to it. Now I have a real tough time adjusting to non-grip sticks main reason being that I have a hard time keeping the stick from twisting in my hands. The Mission L-2 is a great shaft in itself but the "slickness" of the finish was killing me. Same with the Stealth. I did try that "Super Shaft Saver" tape and it's OK but a bit different than true "grip" on a stick.

I was never a fan of grip sticks all the way back to the "shark grip" ultra composites. I currently have HGTs with digital palms, that's all the grip I need.

ive used sticks with grip and without grip and id say having grip on your stick is beneficial for shooting, especially when youre body is tired and youre not holding the stick as tightly as possible, i find with grip,my shots harder with less effort. On the other hand, a non-grip stick is way better to stickhandle with. The closest thing ive found that has the best of both worlds is a really concave shaft, like the xn10, but i havent tried a goatskin palm yet, my eagles have the old black leather palm which is just about the slickest palm ive ever used...

The very first grip stick I used was a Z-Bubble Grip (the original "MM" ;) )

At first, I bought it out of curiousity just to try it out. I hated it at first and felt like my gloves were sticking too much. Eventually I really got used to it and went on to buy a Synergy Grip (gold). It was a bit tackier but again, I became accustomed to it. Now I have a real tough time adjusting to non-grip sticks main reason being that I have a hard time keeping the stick from twisting in my hands. The Mission L-2 is a great shaft in itself but the "slickness" of the finish was killing me. Same with the Stealth. I did try that "Super Shaft Saver" tape and it's OK but a bit different than true "grip" on a stick.

Can you do me a QUICK review about that renfrew shaft saver please...?? :rolleyes:

I don't know if it worth to get it...(i have a R2XN10) and i thinked of put some on the shaft...first for their durrabillity and if it was a small grip it would be nice...because i don't like V120 Synergy Grip...but the small grip on the Vapor XX is pretty nice! :lol: