Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
x-axis

Equipment Spray/Sanitizer

Hey all,

Looking for recommendations for a spray to clean and sanitize gear. Used Sport Sense for like the last 7 or 8 years. Looks like it is no longer available. Looking for alternatives.

Thanks.

15 minutes ago, x-axis said:

Hey all,

Looking for recommendations for a spray to clean and sanitize gear. Used Sport Sense for like the last 7 or 8 years. Looks like it is no longer available. Looking for alternatives.

Thanks.

Captodor offers a lot of sanitization products besides just equipment spray. Very good products. 

• Like 1

I use 1 part isopropyl alcohol, 1 part Hydrogen  peroxide, based on a recommendation someone posted here years ago. Just spray your gear when you spread it out to dry after your game. It’s good for keeping smell at bay, so I start with a good cleaning first. 

• Like 1

I use some mix of alcohol, water, tea tree oil, and lavender oil. I bought a pack of essential oils at the grocery for like $15 and it’s more than enough for forever. If you’re going the essential oils route, do a little internet research, there’s a lot of watered down stuff on Amazon that seems like a great deal but isn’t. 

I googled phrases like “DIY sports spray” until I found a recipe on some craft type blog that I thought sounded good. 

I mixed it in a small spray bottle and just give each piece a quick squirt when I’m unpacking my bag. 

There are ridiculous internet rumors about lavender and other essential oils causing issues in men, but we are all too smart for stuff.  

I'm a big fan of Scenturion.  It's knocked back the glove funk in an older blocker/catch glove to next to nothing, and has kept all my newer stuff fresh smelling.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, yrhmblnr8r said:

I use 1 part isopropyl alcohol, 1 part Hydrogen  peroxide, based on a recommendation someone posted here years ago. Just spray your gear when you spread it out to dry after your game. It’s good for keeping smell at bay, so I start with a good cleaning first. 

same here, read it years back and has worked great, have a large spray bottle in the garage near my rack and spray everything down before laying it out to dry after playing.  Once a year I wash my gear (everything except skates, gloves and helmets) with a detergent from amazon called Sport Wash and it freshens everything up like new (I use Sport Wash on all of my base layer stuff and any tech fabrics, it doesn't add any scent and it clears out fabric softener residue if you've ever used that on your stuff which is pretty bad, the stuff is awesome).

I use a spray bottle w 90% rubbing alcohol after every skate. All gear (even palms on gloves). Then set it up w a fan overnight.  

5 hours ago, SirJW said:

I use a spray bottle w 90% rubbing alcohol after every skate. All gear (even palms on gloves). Then set it up w a fan overnight.  

We dry our gear religiously and nothing smells. Skates and gloves go on DryGuy boot dryer, elbows and shins are in front of a box fan after every skate.

Does the alcohol make a difference? It's safe for the gear?

Thank you for all the tips everyone!

And just in case anyone out there was a Sport Sense user, I sent them an email via their website and they can fulfill your order. 

I think I will try Beeks Reek out and the homemade diy solution.

13 hours ago, 218hockey said:

We dry our gear religiously and nothing smells. Skates and gloves go on DryGuy boot dryer, elbows and shins are in front of a box fan after every skate.

Does the alcohol make a difference? It's safe for the gear?

I think it helps it, it never smells. I don't replace gear much if at all. Glove palms have the same lifespan if not longer than b4 I used it. I have used the method for 15 pIus years. I use it as an all purpose cleaner for a number of things too. Inside Windshields make it easier to remove the plastic smudge created by the interior plastics, also good to clean up dog mistakes on cheap carpet.  But  if your system is good why change it up. 

Edited by SirJW

Howdy,

On 6/29/2021 at 8:50 PM, SirJW said:

Yep.  Here too.  I started out diluting it, but mixing was a pain and rubbing alcohol is cheap, so now I just use it directly.

For you folks mixing it with hydrogen peroxide... What does the hydrogen peroxide do?

Mark

• Like 1

Too strong a concentration of rubbing alcohol isn't great for rubber and plastic. Alcohol does kill bacteria and viruses much faster than peroxide (seconds vs. minutes), but can be harsh. Peroxide takes longer to work, but doesn't seem to damage rubber or plastic. 

Alcohol also evaporates faster; sometimes too quickly for hard surfaces like plastics. 

Hydrogen Peroxide can kill mold and bacterial spores. Alcohol is also more effective on some viruses and hydrogen peroxide is more effective on others:

Isopropyl alcohol is more effective against lipid viruses including hepatitis B and C, HIV, influenza, and respiratory syncytial virus, whereas hydrogen peroxide – against non-enveloped viruses, like rotavirus, coxsackieviruses, or poliovirus.

https://blog.fantasticservices.com/hydrogen-peroxide-vs-isopropyl-alcohol-what-to-use-for-disinfection/

https://www.healthline.com/health/rubbing-alcohol-vs-hydrogen-peroxide#bottom-line

https://www.webmd.com/first-aid/difference-between-rubbing-alcohol-hydrogen-peroxide#:~:text=Hydrogen peroxide is another antiseptic,alcohol does to kill germs.

Edited by althoma1
  • Like 3