Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
ggmunsen

New True Catalyst Skates

I'm seeing the 9x4 available in local stores, but none of the lower models.  Anyone have any insight on the 7x4 being available to try on and buy?  That is the skate I am leaning toward for my son, based on the specs I am seeing, assuming it fits similar to the current Cat9.  

Hi, has anyone compared the New Catalysts to the CCM XF skates? I had a pair of Hzrdus 7X skates and the CARVE toecaps were squeezing my last toes even in a Wide. I'm wondering if the Updated Carve toecaps are slightly wider. If not, I might just have to give these a miss. Thanks.

Saw these in person. They look good. Visually I couldn't tell the difference between the 9 and 7s carbon fiber shell. Looked the same to me but there's a difference according to people on here and the catalogue. 7 is definitely a good deal for a carbon composite shell. Love the blackout look of the 9s though. 

Edited by Sniper9

23 hours ago, Sghockey21 said:

Hi, has anyone compared the New Catalysts to the CCM XF skates? I had a pair of Hzrdus 7X skates and the CARVE toecaps were squeezing my last toes even in a Wide. I'm wondering if the Updated Carve toecaps are slightly wider. If not, I might just have to give these a miss. Thanks.

The toe cap is pretty much the same. 

22 minutes ago, swede said:

Which True models are known for cracking? Is it all models or just the Cat9?

I would think the 5 and 7 would be less prone, given they use fiberglass, which tends to be thicker and heavier.  But I'm sure someone closer to it will confirm/deny.  The 9s definitely.  My kid cracked 2 pair in about 12 months.

He's in the 9x4 now and is loving them.  Dad has his fingers crossed they are more durable.  Especially with the price jump.  

Edited by krisdrum

7 minutes ago, Sprungdownunder said:

Cat 7/9 , fibreshield shells if I am correct.

Ok.. Now se have 2 persons saying against each other. One says 9 are prone to breakage while the 5/7 are good, and the other says 7/9 are the ones that break 😄..

Safe to say, i should not buy a first gen Catalyst skate at all, and look at Hzrdus or 2nd gen Catalyst instead.

The reason i’m asking is i have problem with bunions behind the big toe on both feet, and even though iv’e punched out that spot (alot) on my 3X it’s still painful and i need skates that can be molded better around that area of the feet.

3 hours ago, swede said:

Ok.. Now se have 2 persons saying against each other. One says 9 are prone to breakage while the 5/7 are good, and the other says 7/9 are the ones that break 😄..

Safe to say, i should not buy a first gen Catalyst skate at all, and look at Hzrdus or 2nd gen Catalyst instead.

The reason i’m asking is i have problem with bunions behind the big toe on both feet, and even though iv’e punched out that spot (alot) on my 3X it’s still painful and i need skates that can be molded better around that area of the feet.

The fibreshield models with carbon fibre shells are getting all the reports of cracking I haven't heard of the low end models that don't use carbon of cracking.

If you can afford it get the new 7X4's or 9x4 even the hazrdus as they have a new shell construction & different carbon weave, hopefully they won't crack like the first gen.

23 hours ago, krisdrum said:

I would think the 5 and 7 would be less prone, given they use fiberglass, which tends to be thicker and heavier.  But I'm sure someone closer to it will confirm/deny. 

@swede just to be clear, my statement was purely an educated guess based on my knowledge of gen 1 Cat construction.  I thought that was pretty clear based on my statement.  Agree with @Sprungdownunder that it is likely only the models that use carbon for the shells (it tends to be thinner, lighter and more fragile than similar composite weave materials).  My understanding is gen 1 Cat7s did not have carbon, but I could be misinformed / misremembering.  I know the gen 2 7x4 and 9x4 are carbon shells, although there has been some debate in here that each model might have slightly different lay-up construction.    

So far, my son's 9x4 are holding up well - about a month into use.  But it is a long season ahead, so I am cautiously optimistic.  

Edited by krisdrum

I did understand you, but i thought it was kinda funny when @Sprungdownunder came and said something completly different 😄

I will try to punch the 3X skates one more time, and this time I’m gonna use the big ball on the punch pliers. I might succeed, but i might also ruin the skates when trying.. IF i do not succeed, i will order a pair of Hzrdus 7x, 5x or a pair of Catalyst 5x4… I’m only coaching at the moment, but i still want comfortable skates.

38 minutes ago, swede said:

I did understand you, but i thought it was kinda funny when @Sprungdownunder came and said something completly different 😄

I will try to punch the 3X skates one more time, and this time I’m gonna use the big ball on the punch pliers. I might succeed, but i might also ruin the skates when trying.. IF i do not succeed, i will order a pair of Hzrdus 7x, 5x or a pair of Catalyst 5x4… I’m only coaching at the moment, but i still want comfortable skates.

No direct experience with the newer models, but the lower level skates may not thermoform to the same degree as the upper level ones.  I have TF7 and 9 and don't really notice a difference, but not sure if they've changed their approach since those were released.

Connect?  Are they out of stock already?!  We got my son a pair about a month ago.  Coming from OG Cat9s.  He likes the 9x4 even better.  And dad likes that so far they seem to be holding up way better than the OGs.  We went through 2 pairs of the OGs with shell cracking issues.  

4 hours ago, Westside said:

No, no. Just trying to find a pair below retail 

They did make a big jump in price compared to the OGs.  

Exactly. And I’ll be swapping holders so that’s another cost on top of the increased price. Maybe there will be a Black Friday sale 

On 9/27/2024 at 12:30 PM, Westside said:

Exactly. And I’ll be swapping holders so that’s another cost on top of the increased price. Maybe there will be a Black Friday sale 

If you're from Canada, the sport chek friends and family sales include them at 25% off

I'm not, but could have a colleague in Toronto pick them up for me. I don't see a F&F offer on their site. Am I missing a 25% off code? If I'm mathing correctly, that would be just under $800USD after taxes.

edit… looks like that promo ended on September 18th. Bummer 

Edited by Westside