Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Westside

Who has moved from True to another brand of skates?

I was trying to come up with a clever, click baity title, but just went with the obvious to the questions I’m about to ask. After taking a break from playing after high school/college, I got back into hockey wearing Bauer skates; the last of which being 2017 X900s which I enjoyed. When the True TF9 was released in 2020 I tried out a pair for roller and then subsequently ice. Those skates were like a revelation to my feet. I don’t have abnormally shaped feet apart from my left foot being 1/8-1/4 longer than my left. Still, how well the skates wrapped my foot, how connected to the ice I felt, and how much my outside edge retention improved I became a true True convert and believer. 

I used the TF9s year-round since getting them until one of the heels cracked. I then upgraded to a pair of Cat Pros which I’ve been using for the last couple of months. While I have no need or reason to get another pair of skates, I got a deal I couldn’t pass up on CCM FT6 Pros and after seeing initial highlights on the skates, I was really interested to try them out. Since I have experienced cracked carbon with True skates, I was contemplating switching to something more durable. 

FT6 Pros arrived, and while they already come with the ‘game ready fit’ that is supposed to wrap the facing of the skate around your foot better, I baked them the same way I do my Trues with how I apply pressure to the facing and how I wrap the ankle area to create a tighter wrap around my entire foot. Skates fit like a glove and were really comfortable in the house. Toes brush the cap, no heel lift, can’t wiggle my foot in the boot, just pass the pencil test, and everything fits the way it should.

So here’s where the issues start to arrise. I take them out for their inaugural skate using the same Super Feet I use in Trues and the same Step Blacksteel I use on the Trues (they have XS holders mounted). Getting onto the ice, my ankles feel wobbly as hell as if I didn’t lace the skates! With Trues, I barely have to tighten them because of how well they wrap my foot and can drop 1-2 eyelets and still keep them loose just fine. I didn’t leave the FT6s loose, but didn’t crank them either. So I get off the ice, and start to crank the laces pretty hard bottom to top to ensure the boot is pretty damn snug. They felt *better*, but no where near as good as the Trues. 

Then there was issues with the steel. I’ve been using primarily 9/16, but sometimes 5/8, for the last 6-7 years at this point. Never had an issue with bite regardless if I was on Bauers or Trues. I felt like I had zero bite on the FT6s. I also didn’t feel like I could get out over my outside edges in the way I’ve come to get used to with Trues. 

My current plan is to rebake the skates and try to tighten the wrap more (if it’s even possible) and maybe try getting a 1/2 sharpen on a pair of steel to see if that fixes the bite issue. 

TLDR; I’m just wondering, has anyone else skated in True and then moved onto another skate? Did you find a learning curve to get used to it? Any suggestions on what might help any of the above issues? It’s been a few years since I’ve skated in anything other than True, but I used to not have any problems moving from one skate to the next whenever I wanted. It’d be a bummer if I’m totally ruined by skating in True skates. Hah! 

5 hours ago, Westside said:

I was trying to come up with a clever, click baity title, but just went with the obvious to the questions I’m about to ask. After taking a break from playing after high school/college, I got back into hockey wearing Bauer skates; the last of which being 2017 X900s which I enjoyed. When the True TF9 was released in 2020 I tried out a pair for roller and then subsequently ice. Those skates were like a revelation to my feet. I don’t have abnormally shaped feet apart from my left foot being 1/8-1/4 longer than my left. Still, how well the skates wrapped my foot, how connected to the ice I felt, and how much my outside edge retention improved I became a true True convert and believer. 

I used the TF9s year-round since getting them until one of the heels cracked. I then upgraded to a pair of Cat Pros which I’ve been using for the last couple of months. While I have no need or reason to get another pair of skates, I got a deal I couldn’t pass up on CCM FT6 Pros and after seeing initial highlights on the skates, I was really interested to try them out. Since I have experienced cracked carbon with True skates, I was contemplating switching to something more durable. 

FT6 Pros arrived, and while they already come with the ‘game ready fit’ that is supposed to wrap the facing of the skate around your foot better, I baked them the same way I do my Trues with how I apply pressure to the facing and how I wrap the ankle area to create a tighter wrap around my entire foot. Skates fit like a glove and were really comfortable in the house. Toes brush the cap, no heel lift, can’t wiggle my foot in the boot, just pass the pencil test, and everything fits the way it should.

So here’s where the issues start to arrise. I take them out for their inaugural skate using the same Super Feet I use in Trues and the same Step Blacksteel I use on the Trues (they have XS holders mounted). Getting onto the ice, my ankles feel wobbly as hell as if I didn’t lace the skates! With Trues, I barely have to tighten them because of how well they wrap my foot and can drop 1-2 eyelets and still keep them loose just fine. I didn’t leave the FT6s loose, but didn’t crank them either. So I get off the ice, and start to crank the laces pretty hard bottom to top to ensure the boot is pretty damn snug. They felt *better*, but no where near as good as the Trues. 

Then there was issues with the steel. I’ve been using primarily 9/16, but sometimes 5/8, for the last 6-7 years at this point. Never had an issue with bite regardless if I was on Bauers or Trues. I felt like I had zero bite on the FT6s. I also didn’t feel like I could get out over my outside edges in the way I’ve come to get used to with Trues. 

My current plan is to rebake the skates and try to tighten the wrap more (if it’s even possible) and maybe try getting a 1/2 sharpen on a pair of steel to see if that fixes the bite issue. 

TLDR; I’m just wondering, has anyone else skated in True and then moved onto another skate? Did you find a learning curve to get used to it? Any suggestions on what might help any of the above issues? It’s been a few years since I’ve skated in anything other than True, but I used to not have any problems moving from one skate to the next whenever I wanted. It’d be a bummer if I’m totally ruined by skating in True skates. Hah! 

Well, Dave Cruikshank says D’cosi should be ready for release next year, so there looks to be some more direct competition with True on the hazy horizon.

There are others here more familiar with all the latest boots, but my impression is True is cut lower so they encourage wrapping the upper cuff close to provide the stability other brands achieve by making the boots taller. But when the boots are taller the degree to which they would impinge on ankle ROM  goes up too, so they pad like mad around the malleoli (protruding parts of the ankle) and then thin out, carving out a funnel of space for ankle ROM to compensate. Older boots used to crease/collapse so as to overcome the funnel, but the current demand from many players is this strange combo of committing to the wrap but not really.

I think the next five to ten years could change all of that, to a greater degree than even 703, Vapor 8, one90, or SVH boots did at points over the last 30 years.

8 hours ago, flip12 said:

Well, Dave Cruikshank says D’cosi should be ready for release next year, so there looks to be some more direct competition with True on the hazy horizon.

There are others here more familiar with all the latest boots, but my impression is True is cut lower so they encourage wrapping the upper cuff close to provide the stability other brands achieve by making the boots taller. But when the boots are taller the degree to which they would impinge on ankle ROM  goes up too, so they pad like mad around the malleoli (protruding parts of the ankle) and then thin out, carving out a funnel of space for ankle ROM to compensate. Older boots used to crease/collapse so as to overcome the funnel, but the current demand from many players is this strange combo of committing to the wrap but not really.

I think the next five to ten years could change all of that, to a greater degree than even 703, Vapor 8, one90, or SVH boots did at points over the last 30 years.

D’Cosi vs. True will be interesting

• Like 1

KOR. MLX, Easton Mako. and VH/True were all niche skates.  Probably expecting the same with D'Cosi if and when it launches.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mojo122 said:

KOR. MLX, Easton Mako. and VH/True were all niche skates.  Probably expecting the same with D'Cosi if and when it launches.

True's not a niche skate anymore. And they have significant momentum.

3 hours ago, flip12 said:

True's not a niche skate anymore. And they have significant momentum.

When you compare total sales to Bauer or CCM, it's a niche skate. Some would argue CCM is a niche skate when compared to Bauer.

6 hours ago, stick9 said:

When you compare total sales to Bauer or CCM, it's a niche skate. Some would argue CCM is a niche skate when compared to Bauer.

Let’s look at some data. They’re trending up. Bauer and CCM are doing a lot to try and recover any ground gained by True with each release. To me that says a lot about niche status as well. Do the big players take notice of what you’re doing and make adjustments? Then you’re not niche. I would argue.

• Like 2

On 7/11/2023 at 6:11 PM, Westside said:

I move between CCM (100K and FT6 Pro) and TRUE skates (SVH Custom) and have not had the issue you speak of. I assume it's the pitch of the TRUE boot that might be throwing off your center of gravity since it's more pitched forward. You might want to try putting in a heel lift in the FT6 Pro. 

On 7/12/2023 at 1:54 PM, stick9 said:

True just recently released retails skates only a few years ago. I'm confident that more and more people will enjoy the comfort of their skates and the retail gaps with start to reduce between them and Bauer/ccm. Trues price is also very competitive for what you get. They just better fix their durability issues with the retails shells and their sticks or they're essentially be giving a 2 for 1 for all the warranty replacements. 

As for the pro level, true dominates the goalie skate numbers. 

• Like 1

On 7/12/2023 at 10:14 AM, mojo122 said:

When it comes to basic skates I kinda see your point but when it comes to custom I think they are the gold standard.

Edited by Beflar

On 7/13/2023 at 2:40 AM, flip12 said:

Let’s look at some data. They’re trending up. Bauer and CCM are doing a lot to try and recover any ground gained by True with each release. To me that says a lot about niche status as well. Do the big players take notice of what you’re doing and make adjustments? Then you’re not niche. I would argue.

How do know CCM and Bauer are reacting to True and not just following their intend development path? Usually reactions to competition is an obvious change to either the products themselves or how they go about marketing them. I see CCM and Bauer slowly building on what they've been doing over the past decade.

In reality. True is reacting to CCM and Bauer hoping to gain market share. Multiple skate lines with multi fit options, propitiatory holders and steel and branching out into protective. That's exactly what Bauer and CCM have been doing and have done so since True entered the room.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with being a niche company/brand/product. In some cases allows you to better focus on your costumers wants rather than doing things that appeal to the masses.

Edited by stick9

59 minutes ago, stick9 said:

How do know CCM and Bauer are reacting to True and not just following their intend development path? Usually reactions to competition is an obvious change to either the products themselves or how they go about marketing them. I see CCM and Bauer slowly building on what they've been doing over the past decade.

In reality. True is reacting to CCM and Bauer hoping to gain market share. Multiple skate lines with multi fit options, propitiatory holders and steel and branching out into protective. That's exactly what Bauer and CCM have been doing and have done so since True entered the room.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with being a niche company/brand/product. In some cases allows you to better focus on your costumers wants rather than doing things that appeal to the masses.

How do you know True is reacting to CCM and Bauer and not just following their own path?

What fit options does True have?

"There is absolutely nothing wrong with being a niche company/brand/product. In some cases allows you to better focus on your costumers wants rather than doing things that appeal to the masses." The only difference I see in your comparison is the niche market is smaller, so that's the market base sustaining the c/b/p, whereas the non-niche c/b/p has the masses as their market base--both are doing the same thing, just at a different scale.

Looks like True is marketing the HZRDUS skate for power and the Catalyst for agility.  Appears as if they are following Bauer and CCM.  If Bauer was worried about True they could just release an updated version of the Easton Mako.  If D'Cosi ever materializes it will be interesting to see how that affects True.

5 hours ago, mojo122 said:

Looks like True is marketing the HZRDUS skate for power and the Catalyst for agility.  Appears as if they are following Bauer and CCM.  If Bauer was worried about True they could just release an updated version of the Easton Mako.  If D'Cosi ever materializes it will be interesting to see how that 

The future is custom.  In a few more years I'm guessing getting real custom skates will be easier and way more common.  So that bodes well for True skates because right now they are the gold standard for custom.  So for those who makes basic cookie cutter skates today, who cares cause the future is custom.

13 hours ago, stick9 said:

They all react to one another. When true Tim Ivey vh and started to offer custom skates at the retail stores, ccm and Bauer coincidentally started to advertise and push custom skates as well. Ya they were always available but they were never marketed to the mass. 

True and ccm obviously created their quick release holders to compete with the edge holders. Ccm one piece boot I'd argue was to separate themselves from Bauer. This along with their 90 day guarantee helped them push their skates a lot. 

At the end of the day it's good competition and forces each company to innovate better and provide better customer service as there are now more options out there. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, mojo122 said:

Looks like True is marketing the HZRDUS skate for power and the Catalyst for agility.  Appears as if they are following Bauer and CCM.  If Bauer was worried about True they could just release an updated version of the Easton Mako.  If D'Cosi ever materializes it will be interesting to see how that affects True.

But both HZRDUS and Catalyst are the same last, so the same fit, from what I’ve come across: two widths instead of three different last volumes for each size. Beyond that they point to their custom offerings.

The other day I had a chance to get some first version Hyperlites, my size, my fit. They were new and sexy. And after wearing my trusty TF7 for 1,5 years and being on ice ~2 times per week all year long I really considered this option up to the point where after a proper baking procedure and putting Bauers on next day they felt way too loose in the ankles, so much in fact I could barely walk in them. I could somewhat mimic the feel of True skates by tightening Hyperlites really hard, but at this point it was just getting absurd and uncomfortable and I couldn't flex forth/back as easily.
Now I am somewhat concerned that True have spoiled other brands for me too as I enjoy having more options. Even though new hazardous 9 look sexy af.

• Like 1