Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
redlight31

Best retail shinguards

Im looking to replace my son’s cracked Bauer 2X Pro shinguards. I was wondering what is the best/ most protective model on the retail market? I see that the Hyperlite shinguards appear very similar however are much poorly rated. 

Thanks in advance for any assistance/guidance you can share !!!

Super Tacks. I went from 1X Lites to AS1s and the amount of protection and coverage is almost night and day. However, your son will notice a slight decrease in pad mobility.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, redlight31 said:

Im looking to replace my son’s cracked Bauer 2X Pro shinguards. I was wondering what is the best/ most protective model on the retail market? I see that the Hyperlite shinguards appear very similar however are much poorly rated. 

Thanks in advance for any assistance/guidance you can share !!!

Is he a forward or defencemen? 

I use AS1 Tacks and FT4 Pro. The Tacks are definitely the most protective, but I don't like what they did with the AS-V at all.  I modded the FT4 Pro by affixing a D30 patch in each knee...it's sleeker but still good protection.  I really like both. Not a fan of Bauer shinnies or protective in general.  Love the Mach skates and some gloves, but that's about it. Both brands seem to have too much gimmicky stuff in their latest lines (ex: plastic calf guards-ASV...hinge on the bottom of the Mach).  Not a fan.

Another vote for Tacks line.  Construction wise they're as close to Pro Stock as you can get since the shall is essentially the same as the "pro stock" versions of the latest Tacks models (can find pro stock models of AS-V, Ultra Tacks, Super Tacks).  The biggest difference is the liners... pro stock uses the classic Jofa style removable liner which has WAY more padding around the knee with the old school donut padding, the retail ones have much thinner padding so your knee can actually contact the outer part without much force.  

On 10/29/2023 at 4:15 AM, shoot_the_goalie said:

I concur with what others said.  CCM Tacks will be your best bet, but the CCM Jetspeed line is also very good and a minor step down in protection from the Tacks line.

Not a minor step down, a HUGE step down.

2 hours ago, Hills said:

Not a minor step down, a HUGE step down.

Having worn RBZ's, SuperTacks and FT4 Pros, I would agree. That's not to say those RBZ's or FT4 Pros aren't protective. They just aren't at the level of the Tacks.

Tried on both the Mach's and AS-V Pro's yesterday at my local shop.  I'm just a beer league defenseman, but i want maximum protection as I get older.  At first, the AS-V's felt odd,didn't think i'd like them, but once strapped on and walking around, I started to like them. Felt very protective just from strapping them on.  Strapping system seemed good too.  Reviews online seem good as well.   

The Mach's, well, they just fit weird.  I'm 6'4 230 lbs and have thick calves but the Mach's just felt overly large and bulky even for me using a 16" shin guard.  I was amazed at how bulky they felt. 

I checked out the FT6 Pros and the Vapor top of the line model ( forget the model ), but they all just feel too thin and light for what i play.  The new vapors, if I recall have bad reviews lately from knee caps cracking and breaking at the knee cap vents ( not sure why you vent a knee cap, seems like it creates a weak point ).  The Mach knee cap looks just like the vapor knee cap with vents, i'm interested to see if the Mach's have knee cap cracking issues 

If i decide to get new shin guards, the AS-V's will likely be where i spend my money.