Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Beflar

Affordable Pricing for Mid Flex Sticks vs. Low Kick and Hybrid Sticks

I'm examining the lesser-known companies producing hockey sticks priced under $300 Canadian. Their mid-flex sticks can genuinely compete with the top-tier mid-flex sticks from established brands. If you prefer mid-flex, you're in good hands.

On the other hand, replicating low-kick and hybrid sticks is challenging due to the extensive technology and patents involved. If you favor those types of sticks, you're somewhat limited to the major brands.

It's tough for me to rationalize paying $429 for a mid-flex stick when there are excellent, more affordable alternatives available.

Custom wheels and knock off twigs, come on.... 😁

You don't need to pay full retail for sticks and you don't need to go to a smaller company to save money. The resale market and pro-stock markets are decent enough.

Right now there are 16 listings on sideline that meet my exact specs. All are under $300US, that's $415 for you north of the boarder folks. In a pinch I'll grab a pro-stock off HSM for $210US.

The question is, if you can afford custom skates why are you nickel and diming sticks... 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, stick9 said:

Custom wheels and knock off twigs, come on.... 😁

You don't need to pay full retail for sticks and you don't need to go to a smaller company to save money. The resale market and pro-stock markets are decent enough.

Right now there are 16 listings on sideline that meet my exact specs. All are under $300US, that's $415 for you north of the boarder folks. In a pinch I'll grab a pro-stock off HSM for $210US.

The question is, if you can afford custom skates why are you nickel and diming 

What does resale mean?

Edited by Beflar

I'm with Stick9... I'm happy paying $150-200 USD for pro stock sticks off SLS or prostockhockey, once you know what you're looking for you can get some good deals.  I've never had interest in those generic brands that cost as much or more than what I'd normally pay for sticks I know I already like.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, xstartxtodayx said:

I'm with Stick9... I'm happy paying $150-200 USD for pro stock sticks off SLS or prostockhockey, once you know what you're looking for you can get some good deals.  I've never had interest in those generic brands that cost as much or more than what I'd normally pay for sticks I know I already like.

What stick do you use?

7 hours ago, Beflar said:

What stick do you use?

Currently Trigger 6 Pros, just recently switched back to those after using FT4 Pros and LX2 Pros for a while.  The LX2's were harder to find since I like a P90TM curve and it's not a standard Warrior curve, but I found a couple pros that used them and that supplied me with a bunch over time.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Beflar said:

What stick do you use?

I use a 70 flex P90TM FT5 Pro or FT6 Pro. 

So, $200-ish for one of those or $179 from prostockhockeysticks.com. It's a no brainer.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, stick9 said:

So, $200-ish for one of those or $179 from prostockhockeysticks.com. It's a no brainer.

Damn..  nice.  

That is a no brainer.

4 hours ago, stick9 said:

I use an 85-95 flex p90tm FT5 pro, FT6 pro, or FT ghost. I almost never see any RH available on prostockhockey or sideline swap and I’ve heard that HSMs are often wrapped lower models unless you get one of their NHL prostocks. I’m building up the acceptance that I’ll be happier just buying 6 custom 90 flex p90tm FT Ghosts and letting those last me almost 2 years. It’s pretty much my dream stick (best blade, best kick point, best shaft shape for me)

I’ve been using Hoapa sticks for a couple years now. The first few I bought I liked. I knew going in that I was getting the same as a high end stick. The biggest reasons why I tried them was because of the customization. The latest sticks I’ve bought have been almost like the top brand name sticks. The bed part is they are built and shipped quickly. You get them within ten days. Their PRO+ two pack sticks are $200. I have trouble finding pro stocks that are close to what I like. 
I agree that pro stocks are a great way to get quality sticks for half of retail. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ribby311 said:

I use an 85-95 flex p90tm FT5 pro, FT6 pro, or FT ghost. I almost never see any RH available on prostockhockey or sideline swap and I’ve heard that HSMs are often wrapped lower models unless you get one of their NHL prostocks. I’m building up the acceptance that I’ll be happier just buying 6 custom 90 flex p90tm FT Ghosts and letting those last me almost 2 years. It’s pretty much my dream stick (best blade, best kick point, best shaft shape for me)

I know what you mean. It's like 90% of the CCM market shoots lefty.

I've had really good luck with my HSM purchases. Everything is what I expected when I ordered.

As a P90TM user I find HSM to be the most accurate and consistent at labeling the various iterations. So far no "wtf's" when unboxing.

2 minutes ago, stick9 said:

I know what you mean. It's like 90% of the CCM market shoots lefty.

I've had really good luck with my HSM purchases. Everything is what I expected when I ordered.

As a P90TM user I find HSM to be the most accurate and consistent at labeling the various iterations. So far no "wtf's" when unboxing.

Yea they definitely get the curves and flexes and paint jobs right. My fear is that I’ve heard you’ll buy a ft6 pro or ft5 pro but really get a ft6/ft5 regular or team wrapped as a ft6 pro or ft5 pro. The build codes are so difficult to decode so I don’t blame them. Has this changed? Have you tried checking the codes and weighed your sticks you’ve purchased from HSM recently?

1 minute ago, Ribby311 said:

Yea they definitely get the curves and flexes and paint jobs right. My fear is that I’ve heard you’ll buy a ft6 pro or ft5 pro but really get a ft6/ft5 regular or team wrapped as a ft6 pro or ft5 pro. The build codes are so difficult to decode so I don’t blame them. Has this changed? Have you tried checking the codes and weighed your sticks you’ve purchased from HSM recently?

Yeah, I've bought two FT5 Pro pro-stocks in the past 18 months. Not the ones marked NHL Pro, just the regular pro stock. 

CCM codes are terrible to begin with. The bar code at the top of the stick from CCM agreed with what HSM labeled it as. One felt almost exact to my retail stick than the other. It looks like the hotel area was beefed up on that one. Weight wise, both were on par with the retails. 

• Thanks 1

depends on your level of pay obviously, but for mens league i just buy sticks for $75-100 a pop from HOAPA or allblackhockeysticks since i can get non-grip in the exact curve, flex, and kick point i want. still score plenty of goals 

• Like 1

On 10/30/2023 at 1:28 AM, Beflar said:

I'm examining the lesser-known companies producing hockey sticks priced under $300 Canadian. Their mid-flex sticks can genuinely compete with the top-tier mid-flex sticks from established brands. If you prefer mid-flex, you're in good hands.

On the other hand, replicating low-kick and hybrid sticks is challenging due to the extensive technology and patents involved. If you favor those types of sticks, you're somewhat limited to the major brands.

It's tough for me to rationalize paying $429 for a mid-flex stick when there are excellent, more affordable alternatives available.

Prostockhockeysticks.  I use a kovalchuk big curve and the old thrasher kovalchuk cuve.  Having PSHS makes finding the first that I like very easy

Edited by iceman8310
  • Like 2

On 12/14/2023 at 8:37 PM, asgoodasdead said:

depends on your level of pay obviously, but for mens league i just buy sticks for $75-100 a pop from HOAPA or allblackhockeysticks since i can get non-grip in the exact curve, flex, and kick point i want. still score plenty of goals 

I was never a fan of allblackhockeysticks.  

On 10/31/2023 at 1:01 PM, xstartxtodayx said:

Currently Trigger 6 Pros, just recently switched back to those after using FT4 Pros and LX2 Pros for a while.  The LX2's were harder to find since I like a P90TM curve and it's not a standard Warrior curve, but I found a couple pros that used them and that supplied me with a bunch over time.

Warrior Alpha LX Pro is $179.98 CAD right now on Boxing Week sale at Sportchek (Canada). They are calling it 1/2 off from $359.99. btw $180 CAD is about $135 USD

I'm not sure where in BC OP lives, but personally as a former AB resident I would just lurk on a few big hockey shop websites for discount old stock sticks AND given the chance creep over every stick selection in every sport/hockey store I come across. It certainly helps to be near a big urban center like Edmonton, Calgary, or Vancouver.

Stock up on older models on clearance, find them on marketplace or SLS, pro stocks, team versions. That's the order I would go. That said pro stock specs are all over there place and you usually aren't getting the retail version if that's what you're looking for in terms of specs. Team versions are generally heavier although the most reason jetspeed ft+ SMU hovers around 409 grams which is really good. 

2 hours ago, StinkyPinky said:

Warrior Alpha LX Pro is $179.98 CAD right now on Boxing Week sale at Sportchek (Canada). They are calling it 1/2 off from $359.99. btw $180 CAD is about $135 USD

I'm not sure where in BC OP lives, but personally as a former AB resident I would just lurk on a few big hockey shop websites for discount old stock sticks AND given the chance creep over every stick selection in every sport/hockey store I come across. It certainly helps to be near a big urban center like Edmonton, Calgary, or Vancouver.

Sport chek actually has very good inventory online. And when they go on clearance due to being 2+ years old there's quite a decent selection for flex and curves. The most recent being the ft4 pro sticks. Was on sale for 199 since end of summer but recently went back to regular price and inventory is pretty much diminished. 

• Like 1