Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kovalchuk71

Cutting OPS at fuse point.....

If you want to use standard blades, just flip it and cut down the broken blade end to length. This method will mess up the kickpoint of the shaft.

I'm trying to find out if the blade end can be cut down to fit tapered blades. I might try it out in the next few days. I have an ST shaft that lost about 7.5" from the broken blade end, and it's now hollow. I'll need to trim down another inch or so to even out the edges. It might be too big to fit tapered blades at this point.

I know I could flip it, but wanted to try to preserve the kick point..... I've been sitting on this shaft for over a year because I really have enough usable sticks sitting here. I just want to try something different..... I'll probably end up trying to cut it for a standard wood blade (without flipping it) unless someone convinces me otherwise.

I know I could flip it, but wanted to try to preserve the kick point..... I've been sitting on this shaft for over a year because I really have enough usable sticks sitting here. I just want to try something different..... I'll probably end up trying to cut it for a standard wood blade (without flipping it) unless someone convinces me otherwise.

I think you'll have to cut quite a bid off from the blade end to get a standard blade in. At that point, you've probably lost all the kickpoint of the shaft.

I've lost about 8" from the heel and it's still too small the fit a standard blade.

Just cut about 4 inches off to reach hollow shaft. A standard blade will not fit.... I compared the shaft thickness to another composite shaft and it does look like I would need another 6 inches or so cut off.... not acceptable. So unless there's some blade designed to fit this smaller opening it looks like I'm gonna flip it.... flexing the shaft, it doesn't feel or look much different so who knows....

Fire0nIce228 - your link goes back to the main forum page?

Thanks...

I'll wade through that thread later tonight. I went ahead and flipped it... put a standard woodie in it and it's about 1" short. I had a longer plastic end cap\plug that I found at a rink... ground it down to fit and to give me the length.. added tape and I'll try it tomorrow night... shaft flex feels ok so we'll see...

I trimmed down the ST shaft last night. The shaft is not exactly 51.5" in length. The top was never cut down, so it lost 8.5" from the heel. It's a tad too big for tapered blades on the blade end...it's approx. 26mm x 14mm. I believe the Bauer tapered is 25mm x 13mm.

I trimmed down the ST shaft last night. The shaft is not exactly 51.5" in length. The top was never cut down, so it lost 8.5" from the heel. It's a tad too big for tapered blades on the blade end...it's approx. 26mm x 14mm. I believe the Bauer tapered is 25mm x 13mm.

did you try putting a tapered blade in their with some tape on the tenon?

if i have an ST and the blade breaks, i throw that thing right in the trash. ive spent way too much elbow grease trying to find the optimal cut point on those sticks and when i finally get a blade in there, its hardly worth the effort.

if i have an ST and the blade breaks, i throw that thing right in the trash. ive spent way too much elbow grease trying to find the optimal cut point on those sticks and when i finally get a blade in there, its hardly worth the effort.

your probably right. The only ops that turned into a nice shaft was a mission vhex. I've chucked everything else that I've broken

Had the one I flipped out on the ice tonight... felt good.... any of those busted 100 flex shafts that are near full length can be sent to me..... Actually like it better than the OPS.....

dont get me wrong, i love trying new shaft/blade combos, especially by way of broken OPS, but the ST, in my opinion, is hardly worth the effort.

my faves so far have been U+CL & S19 paired with a dolo blade

did you try putting a tapered blade in their with some tape on the tenon?

I don't have a tapered blade at the moment. I'll have to take the shaft to a LHS and try out the fitment.

dont get me wrong, i love trying new shaft/blade combos, especially by way of broken OPS, but the ST, in my opinion, is hardly worth the effort.

my faves so far have been U+CL & S19 paired with a dolo blade

I figure a broken ST OPS is essentially a retail ST shaft. You guys can throw those shafts my way if you don't want them. LOL

Are you referring to a S19 shaft from a broken OPS, or a retail S19 shaft? I can't imagine flipping a S19 would feel good with the elliptical taper as the handle end.

I figure a broken ST OPS is essentially a retail ST shaft. You guys can throw those shafts my way if you don't want them. LOL

it isnt. the shaft wall's thickness on the ops seems to be thicker than that of it's two piece counterpart, meaning a standard blade wont fit. i considered dremelling it down a bit to make it fit, but i'm not a huge fan of that stick anyways, so i didnt bother. i ended up cutting the shaft right at the middle and used a portion of it to start a sticky roll.

Are you referring to a S19 shaft from a broken OPS, or a retail S19 shaft? I can't imagine flipping a S19 would feel good with the elliptical taper as the handle end

yes i am referring to a broken S19, if there's a retail S19 shaft out there, its news to me. i cut the S19 just to see what the shape of the inner wall was and surprisingly- it fit a tapered blade quite nice. i did have to cut a good portion of the elliptical taper away, which was ok because the wood end plug that brought it up to my preferred height balanced the stick out quite nicely. i cut half way through the '9' on the lowest "S19" graphic, for anyone interested.

At 44 years old, I'm a bit of a dinosaur compared to most of you "kiddies"... To all you folks saying that the tapered handle would feel weird... we used to take sanders and wood rasps to our handles to break the corners, round the handles, and basically make them into that oval tapered profile in the days of all wood and wood glass lam sticks... back then we didn't need to scrounge for a certain blade pattern either - as long as we had a propane torch... haha

it isnt. the shaft wall's thickness on the ops seems to be thicker than that of it's two piece counterpart, meaning a standard blade wont fit. i considered dremelling it down a bit to make it fit, but i'm not a huge fan of that stick anyways, so i didnt bother. i ended up cutting the shaft right at the middle and used a portion of it to start a sticky roll.

yes i am referring to a broken S19, if there's a retail S19 shaft out there, its news to me. i cut the S19 just to see what the shape of the inner wall was and surprisingly- it fit a tapered blade quite nice. i did have to cut a good portion of the elliptical taper away, which was ok because the wood end plug that brought it up to my preferred height balanced the stick out quite nicely. i cut half way through the '9' on the lowest "S19" graphic, for anyone interested.

I'm not sure if the shaft walls are thicker on the OPS STs, but I'm certain it'll fit a standard blade on the handle end. As for the blade end, you might have to take some length off in order to get a standard blade to fit. The weight on the OPS shaft is quite heavy. It scaled in at 341 grams with 51.5 inches in length. I believe the retail ST shaft is 290 or 295 grams at 52".

Hmmm...that's an interesting note about the S19 stick. How long is the shaft after cutting it down to fit a tapered blade? I prefer not to have to add an extension longer than 3".

the shaft wall on the butt end of the ST accommodates a standard blade, however, the walls get progressively thicker down the shaft... thus making it "super tough" and as a byproduct, heavier.... which is also why you have to cut a lot away.

i'm not sure of the length on the S19 with the tapered blade, but there's no way the plug is more than 3", i'd say 2.5". like i mentioned, the outside is still 'elliptical' but the inside wall is rectangular with radiused corners. it comes up to my lips and i'm 6'. as a comparison, to put it into perspective, i have a pro stock SL sitting beside it, it's got a plug in it, but there's only 3/4" on the plug, and they're the same height.

boston: right. totally forgot. i dont know why they didnt call it the S16 or S18 like last year (S15 shaft & S17 OPS). the fact that they put it on "par" with the S19 really devalues the 'tech' aspect of the S19 OPS.

spence: looks like you could have cut it a little lower.

yeah, thats what i thought when I did it but it seems solid enough... good enough for a free stick that broke in one ice time ;)

I converted a pro stock one95. Came out perfectly. I did use intermediate tapered blades though. The shaft and blade combo ended up being longer than the original ops

check your pm's. i could use your help. i am trying to do the same thing.

thanks