Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Peter Pin

Ribcore skates hurt me - need help

5 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

I don't understand how you are that far off the superfeet but when you're on the stock insoles you completely cover the ends. 

Also keep in mind that even if a certain model skate is fitted properly for you, it could be that it just doesn't work for your feet. Whether or be the height of the boot, where the ankle pads are, stiffness, etc. Sometimes it can get expensive trying different skates but hopefully your issue is just poor sizing. 

All agreed. That’s why I’ll take my time and try some fixes before buying news skates.

7 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

I don't understand how you are that far off the superfeet but when you're on the stock insoles you completely cover the ends. 

Also keep in mind that even if a certain model skate is fitted properly for you, it could be that it just doesn't work for your feet. Whether or be the height of the boot, where the ankle pads are, stiffness, etc. Sometimes it can get expensive trying different skates but hopefully your issue is just poor sizing. 

Seems the OP needs the arch support provided by the Superfeet.  Without it (stock insoles), his arch is collapsing and his foot is lengthening.  The arch support of the SF is raising his arch and pulling his toes back.  I'm guessing with the SF in, the boot is now too long for him and giving him room to slide forward, rubbing that spot on something (eyelet probably).  

15 minutes ago, krisdrum said:

Seems the OP needs the arch support provided by the Superfeet.  Without it (stock insoles), his arch is collapsing and his foot is lengthening.  The arch support of the SF is raising his arch and pulling his toes back.  I'm guessing with the SF in, the boot is now too long for him and giving him room to slide forward, rubbing that spot on something (eyelet probably).  

Makes sense. The stock CCM insole is flat and offers no support at all. SF has more arch support. Which may make the total boot length too long for me.

Went again at public outdoor rink yesterday night. With the stock insoles, plus 2 pairs of socks (just like in the good old days). Felt better, less arming on ankle bone. Still the tongue was twisting outwards at the beginning of session. 

Jesus.... playing hockey in a beer league once a week is quite a journey!!!! 🙂

I looked at my foot last night and my tongue on the foot that pronates twists slightly out, but that is also due in part to my high instep and lack of volume there.  Yours look better in that respect than mine but I also wonder, if you feel good with two pairs of socks, maybe the skate is too big?  I can’t imagine having that much “padding”.

59 minutes ago, BenBreeg said:

I looked at my foot last night and my tongue on the foot that pronates twists slightly out, but that is also due in part to my high instep and lack of volume there.  Yours look better in that respect than mine but I also wonder, if you feel good with two pairs of socks, maybe the skate is too big?  I can’t imagine having that much “padding”.

Yeah, I flaked on commenting on "2 pairs of socks".  Unless they were paper thin, ain't no way I am fitting into my skates with 2 pairs of socks on and even then, not sure I could do it.  My skate socks are as thin as I can get them and I'd probably go barefoot if I didn't hate the clammy feel of wet boots on my skin.  More evidence your skates are too big.  

Are those cotton socks?  Do your feet sweat while skating?  Might be exacerbating the rubbing issue with socks that are holding moisture against your skin and making it soft.  Wool (thin), synthetic, even silk would all be way better options.  

Edited by krisdrum
  • Like 1

Ok just a quick note. Yesterday I tried 2 pairs of cotton socks for the very first time in those skates. I really don’t intend to play always like this. It was just to test the too big size hypothesis. I usually use my dedicated sherwood skates socks that are on the thinner side. 
Yeah the fact that it felt more comfy and supported make me wonder maybe I’d be better in size 9 and or different fitting skates. Current is 9.5 D.
Maybe I’m more like a size 9 fit 1 with Bauer? I never owned Bauer skates. Tried some pairs when shopping and don’t recall having felt good in them. Always been more comfy with Reeboks and CCMs

And no, i don’t especially sweat a lot when I play. 

Edited by Peter Pin

14 hours ago, Peter Pin said:

Ok just a quick note. Yesterday I tried 2 pairs of cotton socks for the very first time in those skates. I really don’t intend to play always like this. It was just to test the too big size hypothesis. I usually use my dedicated sherwood skates socks that are on the thinner side. 
Yeah the fact that it felt more comfy and supported make me wonder maybe I’d be better in size 9 and or different fitting skates. Current is 9.5 D.
Maybe I’m more like a size 9 fit 1 with Bauer? I never owned Bauer skates. Tried some pairs when shopping and don’t recall having felt good in them. Always been more comfy with Reeboks and CCMs

And no, i don’t especially sweat a lot when I play. 

Ok, so the 2 cotton socks was an experiment.  In my mind, being able to even fit in there with 2 thick socks on points towards needing a more tapered and/or smaller fit.  I can feel the difference between a super thin and slightly thicker skate sock in my True TF9s.  Best fitting skates I've ever had, but they are pretty wide, so doesn't sound like it would be a good match for your foot shape.  Getting my skates on with 2 thick socks would be impossible.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, krisdrum said:

Ok, so the 2 cotton socks was an experiment.  In my mind, being able to even fit in there with 2 thick socks on points towards needing a more tapered and/or smaller fit.  I can feel the difference between a super thin and slightly thicker skate sock in my True TF9s.  Best fitting skates I've ever had, but they are pretty wide, so doesn't sound like it would be a good match for your foot shape.  Getting my skates on with 2 thick socks would be impossible.  

Yeah the 2 socks combo was just an experiment. But this makes me realize and conclude I'd be better with more tappered/small fit.

Can it explain the constant twisting tongue in outwards direction? Maybe. Can it explain the injuries on my interior ankle bones? Maybe. But if fit isn't close and tapered enough, I'm not sure it would be a good idea to have the skates "punched" at this special spot were the ankle bone seats.

Edited by Peter Pin

5 minutes ago, Peter Pin said:

Yeah the 2 socks combo was just an experiment. But this makes me realize and conclude I'd be better with more tappered/small fit.

Can it explain the constant twisting tongue in outwards direction? Maybe. Can it explain the injuries on my interior ankle bones? Maybe. But if fit isn't close and tapered enough, I'm not sure it would be a good idea to have the skates "punched" at this special spot were the ankle bone seats.

Can it explain the constant twisting tongue in outwards direction?  Definitely could be explained by the boot being too big/loose and allowing you to pronate and push the tongue out of the way with your lower leg

Can it explain the injuries on my interior ankle bones?  Also could be a contributing factor either by the boot being too long and allowing your foot to slide forward or too wide and not fully securing your foot.  Since the marks on the inside of your ankle, also could be caused by excessive pronation as your foot collapses to the inside edge

My opinion - based on the information you've provided - I see no way punching the inside area of the boot causing your ankle bone issues will fix anything.  It sounds and looks to me that you have much bigger fit issues than needing a punch.  Take that with a grain of salt given I am no expert.    

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Peter Pin said:

You don't have enough volume to fill the boot properly. So yeah, tongues can twist and things rub. But the twisting isn't whats causing the blisters. If those were from your tongues, they only be on the outer side of the foot, not both.

You'll never punch a boot smaller. If you try punching my guess is your problems will get worse, not better.

Edited by stick9
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, stick9 said:

You don't have enough volume to fill the boot properly. So yeah, tongues can twist and things rub. But the twisting isn't whats causing the blisters. If those were from your tongues, they only be on the outer side of the foot, not both.

You'll never punch a boot smaller. If you try punching my guess is your problems will get worse, not better.

Blisters are only on inside of ankle. outside isn't armed at all.

So with all comments and data collected, my guess is: not filling the boot enough/not well fitted + pronation = tongue twisting outwards, causing no more tongue on interior side of ankle bone = no protection + rubbing/friction on lining =  blisters only inside

Potential cheap short term fix (but not the best out there). Make sure superfeet insoles help to support arch and reduce pronation (foor rolling) + doing pronation killer exercices + play with thicker socks to fill the boot a bit more.

Potential not cheap fix = buy better fitted skates (more tappered and shorter) ....not a 100% sureshot though

Edited by Peter Pin

Where did you buy the skates and how long have you had them?

If you plan on keeping these for a long time, why not bite the bullet and get into a proper fitted skate so it will save you issues down the line and the problem will be done and dealt with. But keep in mind, you also probably still have to go even smaller than you are thinking. There is no way you should be able to fit double socks in your skates and not have issues. If I did that my feet would go numb from the pressure.

Bought from my local Source for sports during summer 2023. In shop the skates felt great... but I mean, trying skates 10 minutes isn't the real deal.

I just realized something that I wasn't aware of. The skates are a 2021 CCM Ribcor modal.
Back in 2021 early, CCM changed their Fit system. They introduced Tapered (narrow) fit. So they had Tapered/Regular (D)/Wide (E)

My previous Ribcor were from 2019. 9.5D  They felt really great and more tapered than the 2021s.

Current are 2021 9.5D

So with the change in CCM fit system in 2021, the 2021 D is more likely wider (less tapered) than the 2019 ones. Thats probably why I have issues with my current Ribcors.

I will definitely pull the trigger on new skates. Vapors Fit 1 and Ribcors tapered fit will be on my hunting list. I will take my time to try them properly and discuss with someone knowledgeable in store. 

It's just a bad timing budget wise since we are redoing our kitchen/living room at home currently. 😶

Edited by Peter Pin

13 hours ago, Peter Pin said:

Bought from my local Source for sports during summer 2023. In shop the skates felt great... but I mean, trying skates 10 minutes isn't the real deal.

I just realized something that I wasn't aware of. The skates are a 2021 CCM Ribcor modal.
Back in 2021 early, CCM changed their Fit system. They introduced Tapered (narrow) fit. So they had Tapered/Regular (D)/Wide (E)

My previous Ribcor were from 2019. 9.5D  They felt really great and more tapered than the 2021s.

Current are 2021 9.5D

So with the change in CCM fit system in 2021, the 2021 D is more likely wider (less tapered) than the 2019 ones. Thats probably why I have issues with my current Ribcors.

I will definitely pull the trigger on new skates. Vapors Fit 1 and Ribcors tapered fit will be on my hunting list. I will take my time to try them properly and discuss with someone knowledgeable in store. 

It's just a bad timing budget wise since we are redoing our kitchen/living room at home currently. 😶

If you’re redoing that much stuff, just pretend it costs another $600 and wrap the cost of the skates into the renovations. Other stuff is probably way more zeros on the end. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, start_today said:

If you’re redoing that much stuff, just pretend it costs another $600 and wrap the cost of the skates into the renovations. Other stuff is probably way more zeros on the end. 

yep. makes sense.

girl’s maths? 

On 1/22/2024 at 6:29 AM, Peter Pin said:

Current are 2021 9.5D

If you're gonna pull the trigger on an expensive skate don't narrow it down. To two models before even trying them on. Btw ccm stopped making ribcore. At least with pure hockey you have a good return policy if you get it from there. 

Edited by Sniper9

23 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

If you're gonna pull the trigger on an expensive skate don't narrow it down. To two models before even trying them on. Btw ccm stopped making ribcore. At least with pure hockey you have a good return policy if you get it from there. 

I'm located in Canada. Pure Hockey is a no go.

Agreed I need to have an open mind, and keep Supreme/Tacks/Jet Speed on my list. At least give these a chance.

As far as the Ribcors being discontinued, I'm aware of it but I think some stores still have some 100K in stock in some sizes in tapered fit. And the the fact I liked so much my previous Ribcor pair makes me keep these on the contestant list.

Edited by Peter Pin

Guys. You were totally right about sizing issue.

Went to a different local hockey store at lunch time. spoke with the guy over there. Looked very knowledgeable and asked me lots of questions about my issues with the Ribcors 9.5D.

He measured my foot and quickly said:  Mister customer, you need to go down to size 9 or maybe 8.5. Mister customer, you got a narrower foot than average. Mister customer: you got to feel lost with the 9.5 ribcors and skate like an a$$.

We tried different brands in the mid range level $500-700$cad (I dont want to spend $1200 and I only play once a week).

True were no bueno for me. Awkward fit inside. Too much padding in some spots and not enough elsewhere.

CCM JetSpeed - in the mid range they don't offer tappered fit on jetspeed so overall size 9 regular width felt ok not good. Room for improvement.

Bauer Supreme Matrix (Similar to M5) - size 9 fit 1. Was comfy in it. But ankle felt unstable and balance point was hard to reach.

Vapor X4. size 9 fit 1.Wow! I think we got a winner. Foot felt wrapped and supported. No dead spot inside the boot. Toe were brushing end of toe cap.

Also tried size 8.5 fit 2 (they didnt have fit 1 size 8.5 in stock). Length wise, with the 8.5, it felt a bit tight and toes were slightly bending/curving. Even with knee in flexion. Not sure if this will be good or not. Bummer they didnt have the 8.5 fit 1 in stock. The guy at store told me: 8.5 is the fit I'd suggest if looking for a more "pro fit". Size 9 is  "comfy performance fit"

I didn't pull the trigger. Was in a hurry at lunch time and didn't want to take a decision too quickly. But will look to try size 8.5 fit 1 in the vapors.

• Like 2

Finally pulled the trigger on vapor X4 today in size 9 fit 1

Tried size 8.5 fit 1 and my toes felt stuck together and folded in the toe cap.

BTW We tried the Bauer 3D skate lab scan thing and it said  I’m size 9.5 fit 2. Hummm. So I gave size 9 fit 2 a try and it was too loose and didn’t wrap my foot enough. Just didnt feel as good as fit 1.

Will give the skates a try tomorrow night. 
didn’t have enough time to have the blades profiled so currently on stock Bauer 10ft profile. But will probably end with quad II profile just like my past two pairs.

13 hours ago, Peter Pin said:

Finally pulled the trigger on vapor X4 today in size 9 fit 1

Tried size 8.5 fit 1 and my toes felt stuck together and folded in the toe cap.

BTW We tried the Bauer 3D skate lab scan thing and it said  I’m size 9.5 fit 2. Hummm. So I gave size 9 fit 2 a try and it was too loose and didn’t wrap my foot enough. Just didnt feel as good as fit 1.

Will give the skates a try tomorrow night. 
didn’t have enough time to have the blades profiled so currently on stock Bauer 10ft profile. But will probably end with quad II profile just like my past two pairs.

The scan isn't the be all end all. Think of it as a starting point. 

You may want to skate on them before profiling. The quad may be great for one skate, but not another. I'd give them a few sessions before profiling.

11 hours ago, stick9 said:

The scan isn't the be all end all. Think of it as a starting point. 

You may want to skate on them before profiling. The quad may be great for one skate, but not another. I'd give them a few sessions before profiling.

Just back from first session. Good level Wednesday beer league. First impressions: wow this skate fits like a snug glove to my foot. Never felt that supported and wrapped in a skate. And no pressure point super comfy. The fact the fit is perfect makes feel like the skates are super Light and smaller in my feet.

as far as Profile. 10ft radius with 9/16  roh didn’t felt good. Glide wasn’t good at all. Grip  and quick turns were good but fatigue came pretty fast. I was just unable to keep speed. I’m used to quad II and that session made me realize it. Maybe 10ft with 3/4 roh would have been better but now I’m thinking about going Quad II profile the skates tomorrow. 

3 hours ago, Peter Pin said:

Just back from first session. Good level Wednesday beer league. First impressions: wow this skate fits like a snug glove to my foot. Never felt that supported and wrapped in a skate. And no pressure point super comfy. The fact the fit is perfect makes feel like the skates are super Light and smaller in my feet.

as far as Profile. 10ft radius with 9/16  roh didn’t felt good. Glide wasn’t good at all. Grip  and quick turns were good but fatigue came pretty fast. I was just unable to keep speed. I’m used to quad II and that session made me realize it. Maybe 10ft with 3/4 roh would have been better but now I’m thinking about going Quad II profile the skates tomorrow. 

More importantly, no beat up ankles!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, tvguy said:

Were your old Ribcor Platinums a 2 piece boot? They changed a couple of years ago to a one piece boot and the fit changed. 

Not sure if they were 2 piece. They were the 2021 modal. 

4 hours ago, tvguy said:

Were your old Ribcor Platinums a 2 piece boot? They changed a couple of years ago to a one piece boot and the fit changed. 

5 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

More importantly, no beat up ankles!

Definitely