Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
jeffg

Matte colored helmets

Noticed Vancouver and Arizona sporting matte colored helmets. Vancouver’s black  helmet looks good. A new trend? Anyone with info on these? Is it a wrap?

I thought it started with the Yotes, specifically Bauer 4500 helmets, because they couldn’t get the color so the team had to spray paint it. Maybe that was BS, but when they first launched the desert alts all other helmets were glossy.

Honestly not sure how I feel about it. On one hand, matte helmets don’t show finger prints or scratches which would be a huge plus for us players and I’d imagine EQM. On the other hand, they just look off…

https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/carson-soucy-of-the-vancouver-canucks-flashes-a-smile-news-photo/1940920539

Lokks like uni watch made a post about this topic too  if you zoom in on Hughes’ Bauer helmet (4th in the carousel) it is definitely a matte vinyl wrap on a glossy helmet 

https://uni-watch.com/2023/11/21/are-matte-helmets-about-to-become-an-nhl-trend/

Edited by Westside

The Canucks matte black helmets remind me of that one guy in every beer league with the old matte black Easton bucket that never looked good, usually paired with roller hockey pants and some skates from 20 years ago... it's a hard no from me.

• Like 3

Yeah, I don't like it either. Though, I do like it better than LA and Vegas's metallic helmets.

What I DO like are the 3D logos on helmets, when they aren't ads instead. 

• Like 1

Metallic helmets are a bit ick, except for when that Euro league used to do it for their scoring leader. That was cool.

I don't like matte helmets either, I don't know why. I'm turning into an old man maybe.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Westside said:

What’s up with so much helmet experimentation all of a sudden? Vegas I understand the gold chrome. Kings I can get on board with too I suppose. The Canucks? Not sure how this fits…

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/canucks-new-metallic-blue-helmets

The matte black is amazing compared to these.