Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
pgeorgan

New Bauer 3D Scanning/Custom Offerings

On 4/26/2024 at 1:49 AM, VegasHockey said:

What would you like to know? It explains everything on the document. 

The second tier, PRO CUSTOM, allows the player to fully customize the specs of their skates, just like the pros. Here, they will have quarter-size length options for each foot, as well as ankle padding, eyelets, facing, toe caps, stretching, holders, steel, tongue, color, and personalization options. 

Just curious if anyone had any idea of timeline when it would be available, price point, if all current ‘game fit’ retailers would offer it etc? I assume there would be a big training component to retailers. 

I know my LHS actually brought out a CCM rep to do their ‘Total Custom Plus’ skates. 

6 hours ago, pgeorgan said:

Why is that funny. Seems like they're just responding to market conditions and market demand. Honestly I doubt it's a large percentage of either companies profits, but if people want to pay through the nose for a different foam padding, so be it. 

In my opinion, they should just do what the goalie market has been doing for years, which is offer total customization for no extra cost. The gear already costs a fortune, and people pay it. The fact that player skates don't use a similar model just tells me the demand isn't there. Most players just aren't that picky. 

When I had the store in Vegas, I would charge customers the same price for a total custom skate as I would for a top tier retail model. I made a little less on the sale, but then I didn't have to carry as many items in stock for inventory, and the customer got custom skates for the same cost. IMO, everyone wins in situations like this. 

• Like 5

They had a demo of the new scanner with the new orthotics at the Minnesota State High School hockey tournament in March. My 11 year old tried it out and I was less than impressed with the results. They have you stand on the scanner like the old version, then they have you stride across the scanner which they say scans your gait. They have like 3ish 'stock' orthotic options they fit you into based on the scan. Concept was cool, I thought the results seemed pretty generic as my son's scan came back too big/wide. 

The scanner is a good starting point.  Parents want a growth fit while there are adults that want the best performance fit while others that want a comfort fit. What it brings to retail is some consistency to the process.  In the past with the Brannock devices there was no guarantee that the user was using it as it was intended to be used.

On 5/3/2024 at 5:42 AM, mcne0101 said:

They had a demo of the new scanner with the new orthotics at the Minnesota State High School hockey tournament in March. My 11 year old tried it out and I was less than impressed with the results. They have you stand on the scanner like the old version, then they have you stride across the scanner which they say scans your gait. They have like 3ish 'stock' orthotic options they fit you into based on the scan. Concept was cool, I thought the results seemed pretty generic as my son's scan came back too big/wide. 

My experience as well.