Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MDE3

What Deal?

After last nights furious reporting by ESPN's EJ Hradek, that an agreement has been reached between the NHLPA and the NHL, and that an announcement to uncancel the season might come as early as today (Sat.)...everybody and their closest cousins, are denying that the deal is actually done....saying aboslutely no truth to the rumour.......This from both the NHL and the NHLPA spokespersons as recently as early this morning.....

Did I gag on crow for nothing....when I only had to wait till the next day to feast on the egg running down my face?....I sincerely hope not.....

When I heard this news last night, I cannot believe what a rush I had....to my own surprise I was elated, and I realized one thing....I miss being able to watch my hockey.....it comes down to that.....I hate what has happened, and I know that the NHL has major problems that need to be solved for it to move into the future, but...I still miss my hockey......I hope all the backpeddling that is being done in the media this morning is unjustified.

One thing only is certain...this WILL be an interesting day......

If after this announcement by ESPN last night, the status quo remains....meaning no agreement, then I would not be surprised if ESPN cancels their future hockey coverage completely, as they had already threatened to do. With that much egg on their face ..(they must have run with these headlines every 10 minutes last night for hours on end)....I can see ESPN just saying..were done with this bush league crap....time to move on........

Just from the way this whole thing has been handled over the past 6 months, I can see why people would look at the NHL as a joke...There has been a consumate lack of prefessionalism throughout the whole process, and the vascillations of last night and this morning simply serves to tell all of us...no one seems to have a clue what they are doing....

As much as I truly MISS NHL hockey this year, I have mixed feelings about having an “abbreviated†season for the sake of having a season. The whole debacle of getting a new CBA in place became more of a testament over which side is right and who will win out.

Is better to scrap this year outright, get the CBA done, and find remedies for what has been ailing the game?

Mojo my mind says yes..fix it right, or scrap the whole thing and start fresh..as I have suggested many times, but the child in my heart still leapt at the thought of having hockey......

It’s really difficult. I think the past couple of weeks of hearing that it’s going to get done, won’t get done is getting me extremely frustrated. If it does get done, I’d be one of the first to sign up for “Center Ice†and opt for some sleep deprivation for the sake of the game, and me. B)

Espn is still running the same story this morning proclaiming "the deal is done".... Are we really seeing a major schism within the ranks of both sides here....a mutiny of the owners lead by their premier two "have nots" in Gretzky and Lemieux, along with a majority group of players within the union who feels the same way? Maybe that's why the "party line" and the the announcement are diametrically opposed?

After seeing the faces of both Lemieux and Gretzky right after Wednesday's announcement....both looked absolutely devastated...I think both may be facing corporate and personal anihilation if "the deal" does not get done this year...and so have spearheaded this attempt to stave off disaster for themselves and probably many others (owners and players) to try to get the deal done. Their initiative may not reflect the official positions of either side.

ESPN may be doing this as an attempt to aid their power play...during this announcement, it is the first time I have heard that ESPN might have cancelled their hockey contract if no deal gets done.....this may all be part of an ongoing powerplay negotiation.....

I also saw threads that a Finish newspaper was reporting and quoting guys like Hahl and Neimenen that the deal was done ...

Who the hell knows.

Probably. Another Finish NHLer was told to be back in North America by next Tuesday.

If nothing else these rumors are interesting ... uhhhh maybe not.

I think whats happened is the story has been stretched. It's gone from a $45 million dollar salary in principle to a done deal. I think everyone agrees the cap was the sticking point for the negotiations (at the deadline at least), so they assume that since thats been resolved everything else has. The LKuxury tax question still remains and the new rules Gary said he was going to impliment may also be a sticking point. Whether they can play in the olympics, drafting a season and how many games. Alot of leg work has to be done and I really think the media is stretching, we've agreed to a deal in principle and were hopeful for a season to There's a done deal and the season starts very soon.

I want the season to start, I don't think they can afford to lose a playoff push, a stanley cup run, a draft day, a trade deadline and UFA signings. These are basically the only things hockey fans look forward to. Also the "cancellation" can be looked upon two ways. One as a joke and degrading the league because (Assuming its uncancelled) or double the coverage, double the hype and both sides come out looking like they REALLY wanted a season.

Well I agree with you .....the hype/hope generated may have whipped up an emotional frenzy in fans....including yours truly...more than anyone would have expected at the thought of having some sort of a hockey season.

Maybe just maybe, the powers that be will be trying to capitalize on all the melodrama they have created..maybe inadvertantly..maybe not...

I do feel that there is a major internal power play going on within both opposing organizations, and we are only seeing the tip of the iceberg so to speak.

One one side ...the "have not" owners led by Gretzky and Lemieux, who see a postponement and a dragged out battle spelling the deathnell of their own and other organizations and who are in desparate need of more cash flow than the NHL "slush fund" can help with, and the "old school" wealthy owners who can afford to outlast the union, who truly want to break the union down and then create a completely new structure of some kind.

On the other side...the younger less established players who have recently signed contracts and made financial commitments commensurate with their would be earnings, and who now are facing serious and extended personal financial crises... versus the established players who are so close to the end of their carreer that they do not want to see a new salary structure in place that might affect their pensions, and their last "nest egg earnings" as well as those highly paid ego's who just feel like they should be paid their exhorbitant rates, no matter what happens.

Today will be interesting to see....I wonder how much of the real truth will ever surface.

For the NHL as we know it I agree with your analyses Theo....however I think you are optomistic about a $35m cap if a deal does not get done.

I truly believe that a group of the wealthier owners really wants to kill any deal for this year, and get to a complete restructuring of the NHL (or some derivative thereof)...I think the conflicting reports we are seeing are a reflection the results of this internal battle being played out under the surface...

again you are absolutely right on....for the NHL as we know it.....however for the owners who may have something else in mind..they may not give a damn.

I think whats happened is the story has been stretched. It's gone from a $45 million dollar salary in principle to a done deal. I think everyone agrees the cap was the sticking point for the negotiations (at the deadline at least), so they assume that since thats been resolved everything else has. The LKuxury tax question still remains and the new rules Gary said he was going to impliment may also be a sticking point. Whether they can play in the olympics, drafting a season and how many games. Alot of leg work has to be done and I really think the media is stretching, we've agreed to a deal in principle and were hopeful for a season to There's a done deal and the season starts very soon.

I want the season to start, I don't think they can afford to lose a playoff push, a stanley cup run, a draft day, a trade deadline and UFA signings. These are basically the only things hockey fans look forward to. Also the "cancellation" can be looked upon two ways. One as a joke and degrading the league because (Assuming its uncancelled) or double the coverage, double the hype and both sides come out looking like they REALLY wanted a season.

There is a difference between a deal in principle and having all aspects of the deal finalized. The document should run to 500 pages or so and both sides will have to agree on all of the language before there is an announcement.

One of the guys on ESPN Radio had an excellent point; I wouldn't count on an announcement tomorrow as Bettman probably wouldn't want to make waves during the NBA all star game. David Stern supported him publicly so the odds of him making the announcement on Sunday afternoon are slim.

they have jumped the gun so many times in the past, a buddy of mine has ties to the NHL office along with people who used be in GM and similar positions, and no fewer than 5 times have they told him that "a deal was done" over the past few months..

one thing that will be interesting..there will be some serious differences between those players that have been in europe,etc..vs those that have been sitting around..ala some of the RBK endorsees look pretty fluffy in the ads...most of them I think would just be starting to get ready for the World's in April

can see some UFA's getting "1yr" deals because they are in better shape than a lot of those 300 who were on the sideline..

i do hope that guys like Heatley, Yashin, who signed late are bound by their overseas contracts and can't just jump ship...actually i wish all the intl' teams would have made it a full year provision as this will no directly effect every major euro league out there...making a joke of not only the shorted NHL season, if it were to happen, but the rest of the world's as well..thanks a lot NHL

Apparently, a select few owners are killing the chance for this to work.

I keep hearing Calgary as one of the problem organizations.

Espn has just announced "no deal" and talks are done.....the "Earth Hockey League" lives on.....but wait......Gordie Howe has just called for a meeting....and the headstone on the "Rocket"'s grave was reported as moving :rolleyes:

Seems Columbus is one of the teams fighting it too. They're claiming they only made $600k last year. They think the cap is too high and they want arbitration gone completely. Doug Maclean was just on Fan 590 and basically said the players offers weren't even close to what they want/need.

Seems Columbus is one of the teams fighting it too. They're claiming they only made $600k last year. They think the cap is too high and they want arbitration gone completely. Doug Maclean was just on Fan 590 and basically said the players offers weren't even close to what they want/need.

Hmm.. time to go light some fires

Just some fun numbers.

Columbus average attendance 17,339 (espn)

Columbus Payroll $34M (USA Today)

Ticket revenues were 78% of their overall revenues. (Doug Maclean)

Average ticket price $41.78 (TMR) Does not include suite revenue.

$38M in overall revenue

According to those numbers salaries are 89.47% of overall revenues.

I didn't like MacLeans comments that he can't compete with the Detroits of the league when they are at $49 mill a year. Teams have been doing it, and well, throughout this CBA and they were at $70 mill. It may not be perfect, but $45 mill is a HUGE improvement for the small market teams over what they had. I'd work out a temp deal at least where it's the $45 for 2 years and IF the 8 or so owners still don't like it, then they can go back to negotiations. A lost season will kill them.

I didn't like MacLeans comments that he can't compete with the Detroits of the league when they are at $49 mill a year. Teams have been doing it, and well, throughout this CBA and they were at $70 mill. It may not be perfect, but $45 mill is a HUGE improvement for the small market teams over what they had. I'd work out a temp deal at least where it's the $45 for 2 years and IF the 8 or so owners still don't like it, then they can go back to negotiations. A lost season will kill them.

Exactly, $45 is a start. It's better than the old situation and gives them a chance. Without revenue sharing, nothing is going to matter. From what I hear, revenue sharing is off the table again.