Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jjtt99

Centre's unite

Hi folks.

With the exception of goalie, I've played every position and by far the most challenging is centre (or center for you American folk). But it constantly surprises me that many players don't appreciate how difficult it is. Centres:

- Skate a lot more per shift.

- Have to play as the third D, and a forward.

- Have to back fill for any one else who gets out of position.

Am I the only one who thinks this way?

JJ

I think another aspect that we never get enough respect for is the chess-type match of the faceoff. I've always thought of the centre position as a "quaterback/on-ice coach" type position.

Thats why I became a wing. I played center my whole life, led my teams in scoring and assists, seldomly lost a faceoff, and now playing wing, I realize yes its less skating, but I liked center a lot better. I felt like I was in the play more, and I had a great role. I love playing center, even though I agree with you, it is the hardest position out there besides goalie.

Other than the faceoff, it really shouldn't matter what position you are. If the LW is the first man back, he should take the slot on defense. It also depends on what system you run. If you run a "lock" with one wing, they're always responsible for one side of the ice defensively.

When I was first starting out I was stuck at wing. I remember I really really wanted to play center. A few years later I finally got the chance and I loved it. Then every other year I would get to play center (when I was the youngest on the team I would play wing, and when I was older I'd play center). At this point in my life I really don't care which I play. This season my coach only trusted two of us to play center, so we got a lot more playing time than everyone else did. I don't think that one is necessarily harder than the other, but I have found that when I'm put out at center, I usually end up playing with worse players, so I have to work harder.

I started out at C then ended up being moved to RW. Like Kosy said, at C there would be times where I'd be stuck with a couple of ice cops it seemed and just made things a lot harder. On RW I've found more freedom than I had on other teams just being able to roam around the o. zone.

Hi folks.

With the exception of goalie, I've played every position and by far the most challenging is centre (or center for you American folk).  But it constantly surprises me that many players don't appreciate how difficult it is.  Centres:

- Skate a lot more per shift.

- Have to play as the third D, and a forward.

- Have to back fill for any one else who gets out of position.

Am I the only one who thinks this way?

JJ

I agree with you 100%. I played center all year last year, then for the first half this year. I was then swithed to wing. I was back and forth between left and right wings. It seemed like I wasn't skating or having to work remotely close to as hard as center. For the second half of the season, he put me back at center, and I was working so much harder. We do deserve more credit!

I started out at C then ended up being moved to RW. Like Kosy said, at C there would be times where I'd be stuck with a couple of ice cops it seemed and just made things a lot harder. On RW I've found more freedom than I had on other teams just being able to roam around the o. zone.

A cherry picker. I can relate :)

Good discussion.

I agree with Chadd that in an ideal world all positions are somewhat fluid. For example during face offs players are in their primary positions, but quickly the centre can fore-check and end up on the wing, then if so, that winger takes more of the middle etc. Remember those triangles!

BUT -- much easier said than done. On D, those damn wingers like to stay high on the boards waiting for the big outlet pass. AND, those damn wingers are often slow to back check.

Centre's are too conspicuous by their absence if they're not supporting the D. Well, at least on my team, hence my point that centre is often a misunderstood position!

I tried searching the internet for more info about positional play but I wasn't very successful. Anyone have good sources/links to positonal play info?

JJ

I personally think that D is the toughest to play..because you have to know when to pinch, skate backwards face, read the play well and have lots of common sense.

For me I prefer knowing my area. Gimme a lane, a quadrant in the box defensively and set me free. Center is too much responsibility. I am always kinda out of position as you have to support support support. I get lost playing center. I've played wing or D for 17 years, but center still baffles me.

Haha, I love playing Wing. The Centre always gets a mouthful for not back checking but I can usually coast back, maybe get the puck at my blueline and then start a break out.

Other than the faceoff, it really shouldn't matter what position you are. If the LW is the first man back, he should take the slot on defense. It also depends on what system you run. If you run a "lock" with one wing, they're always responsible for one side of the ice defensively.

I wish my teammates played like that, i got two lazy asses that sit near the blue line waiting for a pass to break and then having me to be there for the two on one

I started playing center two seasons ago, I have to say I appreciate the position alot more now, centers do alot of skating, and sometimes they could play every position(excluding goalie) in one shift. But it is my fav position now. :)

I played center in my first game with my latest team. It was my first time to do so, and I liked it... It was more skating, and I did get a little lost sometimes, but I think with enough time I'd adapt to it. I'm better at skating when I keep my momentum up as opposed to starting & stopping alot...

Since then though, my captain moved me to D - which I hate due to how bad I suck at it. We just got another D-man, so I should be able to stick at wing for a while..

IMO centre is easier to play, but it's harder work. At centre I just follow the puck and support my man, and somehow I have the puck, I tried playing wing and you don't get the puck as much.

I've played centre all my life, though I take the occassional shift on wing. IMO to play centre you have to be a well-rounded player, skating, passing and having a vision for the game. If you have the work ethic to play both ends of the ice I don't think there's a better position than centre because you're always involved in the play. As the name suggests you're usually in the middle of the action. However, having said that, I believe the hardest position to learn is defence, there are a lot of nuances involved in playing d and it's a thankless job.

However, having said that, I believe the hardest position to learn is defence, there are a lot of nuances involved in playing d and it's a thankless job.

hit that dead on...

i love playing center. i feel the same way as you stix04. i was really good at taking faceoffs, and i loved how center gets more action then the wing, having the freedom of skating the left and right side. but this year, my coach switched me to the wing, and my scoring production went down. through the first 15 games or so, i had 8 goals and 15 assists. after switching to wing, i only scored 3 goals and 8 assists. i love center...but it is a workout for you