Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hockechamp14

Helmet Waxing

Topic starting spree by me... all of three wooo.

Anyhow, I'm priming my gear up for the "summer season" and I was wondering what can be used on a helmet to clean up the scratches and stuff on the helment, and make your baby shine. :D

Personally, I wouldn't do it. It may take some of the coating off..and then if you get hit in the head or something, it may not be approved or something like that. There was a topic on this a couple months back.

As far as the certification goes, I play under NCAA rules, so a HECC certified helmet isn't required. As far as wax goes, has anyone tried any of the plactic polishes that are on the market?

do you play ncaa?

No, I play prepschool. Our rules are identical to NCAA.

I just found some interesting plastic wax that my mom has for some crazy reason. I need to get one of my old helmets from my dad's house so I'll get back in a couple days and say if it works.

Does anyone think that some kind of car wax would be workable? I've seen custom hockey equipment sites offer a "buff and wax" for helmets.

I dunno, but I don't think wax would even void the HECC certification. I mean, it's just wax...

if i'm not mistaken, putting a sticker on your helmet voids the HECC certification, so i wouldnt' be surprised if putting wax or cleaner on it voids it

Yea I guess you're right. But, a sticker is visible, whereas wax will not be. They won't be able to tell you waxed it anyways.

Either way though, this whole discussion about this is pointless, seeing as he doesn't need it certified anyways.

Depending on the chemical composition it can break down the plastic in the helmet. Either live with the scratches or buy a new lid.

i used to play under ncaa rules, but dont remember them all... since when does ncaa not require a hecc cert helmet???

I looked at the .pdf rulebook yesterday. It says that the helmet is RECOMENDED to be HECC certified, I'm sure if it looks unsafe the ref will tell you to get a different lid. The cage is very specific about the code of the certification on the other hand.

It's late, I'm tired, I got a kick out of this thread title.

But yeah, I'm guessing it would be frowned upon.

i have some carnuba wax based guitar polish i used on one of my carbsters cause it was looking pretty dirty. didn't seem to make much difference...

Why do you want to get rid of the scratches and marks anyway? Battle scars are cool :D.

Just leave it alone.

I used to use Armour All on my catchers equipment before every baseball season. Brought the shine in the plastic back and hid the scratches for a little.

Back to the HECC certification part, my team puts stickers on our helmets that represent the team, does that void the certification?

Depends on what adhesive they use.