Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cougarscaptain87

spray painting sticks black

The goalie on my team says it's harder to pick up the puck when a player has black tape or paint on his stick. He also says that its very easy to track the puck when a player has white tape on their stick. Any goalies disagree?

I can only offer why I use to do it in high school.

Simply put:

Hides the puck.

Stiffens wood sticks when they get older.

Reduce glare from the lights.

Looks kinda cool and Kevin Dineen of the Harford Whalers use to do it. :)

No, I actually decided not to just yet. I thought I will wait out until all the paint has come off and then I will do it (about 1/2-3/4 the way there). I will post it if you want, when I do it though.

Used to do blades, then later on ended up having to do the whole stick. Didn't mind it and do it from time to time for gits and shiggles.

a buddy of mine told me that some stick companies will now offer a blacked out bottom much like the different colors at the bottom of the stealths and SL's. Woody I dont get how it chips so much on you, try some krylon for plastic surfaces, works pretty good. ive got a few pics of my response Xn 10 blacked out, i heard it from a few goalies: wrist shots from a blacked out twig with black tape are the hardest shots to stop.

That Jiri Novotny guy kinda of defeats the purpose. Isn't the blacking out suposed to create an "illusion" on the goalie's eyes? He puts white tape on the blade? That makes it easy to see the puck on the tape for a goalie.

I use white tape on mine. I just think it looks cool, honestly I couldn't care less if it makes goalies have a tough time with my shots.

That Jiri Novotny guy kinda of defeats the purpose. Isn't the blacking out suposed to create an "illusion" on the goalie's eyes? He puts white tape on the blade? That makes it easy to see the puck on the tape for a goalie.

The shine from the stickers may have given him trouble seeing the puck.

It wasnt close to a store that carries krylon so i picked up some American Tradition Plastic Enamel that bonds to plastic. The person at the store said this would work since they dont carry krylon. This didnt work at all! I spent a freakin hour shaveing paint of the blade :angry:. Are you sure abou this krylon fusion?

This is what i used- http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=prod...3570&lpage=none

Ya it flakes off after i take old tape off. I mean i wouldnt care if it came off slowly after a while but not the 1st time. Also i only did one coat. Should i do more? And im kinda afraid to sand a composite blade.

You don't sand it much. It looks lightly scratched, but with any smooth finish like that your going to have to rough it up alittle or paint will not stick. Also I found it helps to do numerous thin coats of paint rather than spraying it untill it looks wet then waiting for it to dry. Works better if you go over it light wait 10-15 minute then go over light again. Putting a couple layers of clear coat helps out to.