Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

I could be wrong but I think that MOST shops (maybe not NoIcing) would still look at you funny for asking to bake before you buy on anything other than Mako.

I would agree with that. The Mako is the exception, not the rule.

Now that being said, if you're stuck in between two models and can't decide, I think most places will bake when asked if it means the difference between a sale, and you walking out of the store because you couldn't decide.

I could be wrong but I think that MOST shops (maybe not NoIcing) would still look at you funny for asking to bake before you buy on anything other than Mako.

And with good reason. Most skates can't handle multiple bakings like the Makos are designed to. So, just as allowing bake-before-buy is responsible Mako salesmanship, the opposite is equally responsible for [edited in light of the below comment - times they are always a-changin'] most many other skates.

Edited by McDugan
  • Like 1

It depends on the brand for us. If they're looking at Bauers, then no bake before buying. However, Graf, CCM and Easton say their skates can handle multiple bakes without issue and encourage us to do it before buying so the customer gets the best feel for the skate.

We charge $35 for a bake on skates not purchased with us and $15 for a first sharpening for skates not purchased with us. Both are free if you buy from us.

Why do some shops bake skates for free in the states then? They do not know how to run a business?

Most stores in the US that I know, do not bake for free. Total Hockey does, but they have a different business model than most shops. They also offer free sharpening, something most shops rely on to drive revenue. Sharpening was well over a third of the revenue for my shop. had we given it away for free, we would have been out of business. They obviously believe that giving away those things will bring in people to spend more money while they are getting a bake or skates sharpened. It's not a business model that would work for everyone.

Can we please get back on topic now? All of these off topic rants are getting old.

• Like 2

*free sharpenings on Tuesday and Wednesday with the purchase of a Platinum rewards membership. $40 one-time fee.

:)

Exactly, everyone who pays that up front is going to make sure they get their money out of it and will be in regularly. While waiting for the sharpening, they will browse and buy. If you can drive enough additional sales, it's a great tool to get people in the store. In the market I was in, it would put a small shop out of business.

Again, it would be nice to get back to the topic of Mako Skates.

• Like 1

In you opinions it the extra $$ from the M8 to the Mako II worth it for an intermediate rec hockey player?

Thanks

I have been on one.6's for the last year & half.

Edited by Vaun101

In you opinions it the extra $$ from the M8 to the Mako II worth it for an intermediate rec hockey player?

Thanks

I have been on one.6's for the last year & half.

Whichever one fits you better, but I imagine the M8's will do just fine for you.

• Like 1

Whichever one fits you better, but I imagine the M8's will do just fine for you.

To be clear, should there be really any difference in boot fit? My impression has been they're identical in design with differences in materials used.

To be clear, should there be really any difference in boot fit? My impression has been they're identical in design with differences in materials used.

There is often variances in between models within the same product line, don't assume they will all fit the same. And Easton likely hasn't updated their web page yet with all of their 2014 offerings (neither has Bauer, CCM, etc.)

Edited by MarsB

What's going on?! Got an email from a major LHS near me in the UK & they reply they got from Eason regarding the release if the MAKO 2's in the UK was that they are delayed for a few months - no reason given.

Anyone know a reason for this?

I may go to the Bauer 190's - can't be waiting this long!

Disappointed is not the word :-(

Just picked up a pair of M8's....baked, sharpened and ready to go. Gonna hit up a stick and puck tomorrow to see how I like 'em. Took me nearly 3 hours to decide between these and Graf 9035's, but the 30 day trial period promo Easton is running ultimately won me over. Hopefully I don't have to go back and return them for the graf's, but it's nice to have that option.

I finally got to try my new Mako 2 skates out twice so far. Once on Sunday in a game and it didn't go so well. There was a problem with the sharpening, the edges on both skates were uneven. So I couldn't skate properly and felt unsure on my feet. On a good note I never had a problem adjusting to the pitch of them as I'm coming from Graf 707's. I got size 10.5EE and the sizing was perfect. The skates did feel comfortable except for after the game I noticed I had 2 cuts or scrapes on my left ankle, one on the outside and the other in the front where your tongue sits. So this isn't good as I remember people complaining about getting them with the original Makos. After getting my skates resharpen and fixing the edge problem I had my 2nd skate on Tuesday and it was just pickup. I noticed right away skating around in warm-up that my skates felt normal like my old ones and I could turn without problems. So I felt really confident on them the whole time I was skating. I did find that I was a little quicker out there then my old skates cause maybe of the more forward pitch, but like I said I should be used to it coming from the Grafs. I'm not sure about the skate liner as I wear barefeet and my feet sweat a lot so I think this could be a slippage problem. I might have to start wearing a thin skate sock to help with this. I also noticed my top of the ankles were hurting a bit when turning from the side of the skates digging into them. I like to have my top few eyelets nice and tight so this could be causing this. I also noticed some more small scraps or cuts on my right ankle this time that didnt happened after the first skate. Now I have them on both ankles which I'm not happy about. I put bandages on my left ankle before playing but that really didn't help much. I'm thinking about buying some sleeves to wear around my ankles so any suggestions would be helpful. I was going to try some Tensor sleeves I have first, but they are kinda thick so I don't think this is going to be a solution. However I still do like the skate so far but obviously don't like having cuts on my ankles. If this goes away after getting them properly worked in then no biggee. Yes I got them heated up at the store where I bought them. Just thinking now that this shouldn't be happening as I thought Easton fixed these problems. I was going to buy them for my daughter in the fall, so hopefully these problems can work themselves out.

Edited by SpideyDiG
  • Like 1

I also noticed some more small scraps or cuts on my right ankle this time that didnt happened after the first skate. Now I have them on both ankles which I'm not happy about. I put bandages on my left ankle before playing but that really didn't help much. I'm thinking about buying some sleeves to wear around my ankles so any suggestions would be helpful.

I had this issue when I first started using the Mako I. I tried everything.

Solution:

I got some high density foam pipe insulation from the local hardware store, and taped that around my ankles like a cuff (just on the very top where the boot rubbed). I then used a heat gun to soften the top of the boots. I then put them on over the pipe insulation which molded a little bit of extra space. I lost a tiny bit of heel lock, but nothing significant. And the skates were much better afterwards, although I get slight rub on occasion. Some people roll out the edges, but I noticed most skates have more space on the top of the boot, so this seemed like a better solution.

I also wear the Reebok 20k Cut resistant socks (silver, with black feet, and green cuff)

Ok, so my little Mako saga has a new wrinkle. I'm currently waiting for my Mako IIs in size 7.5D to arrive from Easton as part of a warranty replacement for my original Makos. Because I've been without my skates for a month and reading this page over and over, I got this idea in to my head that I may have been better off with 7.0Ds.

So I called up my LHS and they offered to lend me their demo pair of 7.0Ds including baking them. So we baked them and I took them out for a skate over the weekend (24 hrs later of course). Here is what I observed:

My left foot seemed to fit perfectly in the skate. Could just about barely touch the toe cap. It was there, but no pressure or anything. My right foot touched the toe cap and seemed to be tight around the widest part of the foot. When I skated my toes would push up against the toe cap at times during my stride. I don't know if this was due to lack of heel lock, but it was nearing on uncomfortable... I'm not anywhere near a skate fit expert, but I'm concerned about this level of contact. The LHS employee also noted during the bake that the right boot appeared to be lacing up poorly around the wide part of my foot. All-in-all, I THINK this size is just a bit too small for my right foot and that I should settle back in to my 7.5Ds which seemed to be a good fit.

As an aside, I can't reach the toe cap in my 7.5Ds.

I don't know if this matters, but the first 3-4 games I played in my makos my toes touched the toe caps enough that it hurt, but now they don't at all.

It was upsetting at first because they felt great during the bake, but I just had to be patient and let them break in to once again feel like they did during baking.

I got a Mako story. So, I got this bruise on the outside of my foot, right below my ankle. Not sure how I got it, maybe these new sneakers that may be .5 sizes too small. Anyway, it is annoying, I feel it when I walk around barefoot or in sandals. I have not worn sneakers in the last couple days, since the doctor said to keep it from being pressed against. It was bad enough that I saw the doctor, a little dome protruding from the side there. So, I listened to the doctor, and did not wear anything that would constrict or rub against this odd bruise, except for the 1.5 hours that our team plays last night. It has been 5 or 6 days since I played (also last time I exercised and I just feel like I am getting too fat, so I needed to get out there and grind and sweat. No pain whatsoever for the 1.5 hours of the skate. No issue when I took off the skates either, like it did not get better or worse. And no pain at all today/ the day after. So, go Mako. (Still in Mako 1 that is .5 sizes too big; trying to hold out until summer 2015 when the Mako IIs drop to $459 and I can get 25% off online through HM, we will see if this attempt at self-discipline holds up.)

Edited by Cosmic

I got a Mako story. So, I got this bruise on the outside of my foot, right below my ankle. Not sure how I got it, maybe these new sneakers that may be .5 sizes too small. Anyway, it is annoying, I feel it when I walk around barefoot or in sandals. I have not worn sneakers in the last couple days, since the doctor said to keep it from being pressed against. It was bad enough that I saw the doctor, a little dome protruding from the side there. So, I listened to the doctor, and did not wear anything that would constrict or rub against this odd bruise, except for the 1.5 hours that our team plays last night. It has been 5 or 6 days since I played (also last time I exercised and I just feel like I am getting too fat, so I needed to get out there and grind and sweat. No pain whatsoever for the 1.5 hours of the skate. No issue when I took off the skates either, like it did not get better or worse. And no pain at all today/ the day after. So, go Mako. (Still in Mako 1 that is .5 sizes too big; trying to hold out until summer 2015 when the Mako IIs drop to $459 and I can get 25% off online through HM, we will see if this attempt at self-discipline holds up.)

Don't count on the 25% on clearance Mako's. I tried during the July 4th and it wouldn't let me use the %25 coupon on the $459 (or whatever it was at that time) Mako. I also tried Total Hockey (they had a similar coupon at the time) and it wouldn't let me either. So it must have had MAP pricing even at the clearance price.