Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ZombieAttack27

How dangerous are visors?

I'm off to college in the fall and will be playing for a team outside of the ncaa/any other college league. As such, I have the option to wear a non-certified visor. I've obviously worn a cage in every competition situation up to this point but have worn a visor for shoot around/open hockey and love it.

My question to those of you that have played competitive hockey in a visor is this: how dangerous are they compared to cages? Am I at a greater than 10% risk of having my teeth knocked out? I can deal with cuts to the face/ bruises/etc. but I really want to keep my teeth. Even if it means wearing a cage.

i wear a visor and have had one puck to the cheek in 3 years, i mean if its a better league, they should be pretty responsible with their sticks, but accidents happen

What matters more to you, your teeth and thousands of dollars of medical bills (Dentists aren't cheap and insurance doesn't cover that type of accident) or some extra visibility for a league that at the end of the day, means nothing in the long run.

It's gonna be absolute crap hockey.... definitely a few steps down from what I was playing in high school. Are benders more dangerous than skilled players as far as sticks/high shots are concerned? I feel that in corners and high traffic situations they would be, but shots from the point should be slow and low for the most part, right?

If you can't tell, I've been completely brainwashed by a combination of years of watching pro hockey and finally being given the freedom to wear a visor myself.

Low shots from the point can always get deflected up. Go on youtube and find videos of those players who have had pucks to the face (Yzerman comes to mind) off a deflected puck.

I went with a visor for a really short period of time, mainly because I thought it looked cool. Went back to the cage after only two games with it because there were too many people who cant control their stick.

Its up to you... at the end of the day, its your face/teeth/money...

It's gonna be absolute crap hockey.... definitely a few steps down from what I was playing in high school. Are benders more dangerous than skilled players as far as sticks/high shots are concerned? I feel that in corners and high traffic situations they would be, but shots from the point should be slow and low for the most part, right?

If you can't tell, I've been completely brainwashed by a combination of years of watching pro hockey and finally being given the freedom to wear a visor myself.

You think that guys that are bigger and stronger than any highschool kid you play with can't bang a big slapshot?

You think there won't be skilled players? You may be in for a bit of a surprise. If you've grown up with a cage stick with it.

Since you said you want to keep your teeth, I'd definately stick with the cage. Like what others said anything could happen. I tried a visor for about half of a beer league season, but I decided to go back to a cage because I'm a shorter guy (5ft 9in) in my league and when I play in front of the net and trying to clear the guys out in front of the net I found that lots of times the opponent's shoulders would bump into my jaw and it would hurt sometimes. I didn't get injured but, after a while it was enough for me to go back to a cage.

i wore an half shield for quite some time and loved it. Until I collided with a guy and cut my chin up pretty bad. Have been wearing a cage ever since. No reason to risk loosing teeth or eye injuries if you're not getting paid.

Having experience playing with benders every week, they do not understand the appropriate way to shoot, skate, check/bump, etc. Having said that, yes wear the bird cage.

Having experience playing with benders every week, they do not understand the appropriate way to shoot, skate, check/bump, etc. Having said that, yes wear the bird cage.

I couldn't agree more. There is no end to the argument that cages are safer than visors. It's possible to play with a visor in rec leagues, but for piece of mind I'd stick with the cage. I play pickup a rink near me - face high slapshots, out of control sticks etc. I've been hit in the cage more times than I care to count.

Save playing with a visor for when people are actually accountable for what they're doing on the ice. Even in the NHL people get hit in the face on a semi-regular basis, and for the most part those guys are putting their shots/passes/tips where they want them to go.

About a week after I started considering a visor in hopes it would improve my vision and game, I received a puck and stick to the cage. So Im keeping it now. A full visor might be a good idea, though I have no experience using one. When alone in the rink and helmetless, not having a bunch of metal bars crisscrossing your vision is like a whole new world.

If you want better visibility, but don't want to risk losing teeth, you could try a Bauer 9900 cage. Obviously it's not like wearing a visor, but the bars are a bit thinner than on other cages (they have an oval shape, where they're thinner in the direction you look in), and I do find that the bars are a bit less visible.

I was just talking to a co-worker who plays in the same league and level as I do...

Guy he plays has worn a visor since he started playing (as an adult, but 5+ years). Decided to take it off for one game, and a clearing attempt broke his nose. Shattered it, was more like it.

It's one of those things. You never know what's gonna happen.

I realize your questions was whether you should switch to a visor, not whether you should wear anything at all, but who knows, you switch to a visor and tomorrow you eat a puck. Or you play forever and never get hurt. But you can be pretty confident with a cage that you're not going to have a serious injury from an errant puck or stick.

If you can play with it, keep it.

The league I play in is pretty average-skilled as far as men's league goes. I blocked a shot at the top of the circles with a guy shooting from the blue line. you would think he'd shoot low, however he hit me in the helmet (yes I was standing). I would say wear the cage, especially since you value your teeth.

Unless you are getting paid to play, why risk losing teeth or eyes? It's just not worth it in my mind.

That's exactly my reasoning. If you're already used to the cage, there is no good reason for changing to a visor and a whole lot against it.

Im gonna go against the grain on this one guys. If you value your teeth/face then yeah by all means wear a full cage. I usually wear a half visor when im playing IIHF sanctioned games, otherwise (if im play rec or inhouse or what ever) I dont even wear a visor. half visors make sense in competition because if you damage your eyes potentially it could be the end of your career, as far as the rest of the face goes, Ive been hit in the mouth with pucks, sticks to the face and so on, ive never lost a tooth, but had numerous bruises and cuts.... at the end of the day they heal, teeth can be replace by dentures in the worst case scenario......... ref;s will usually give bigger penalties if you bleed, chicks dig scars and your team mates always give you abit of respect when you've taken a big one to the face.

Visors all look cool and all until you're being told how many fingers the medical staff is holding up after a player with shoddy game shoots the puck at your face.

Visors will protect the eyes, not the mouth, I'd keep the cage at least for a few games.

broke my orbital when a shot rang off the post and got under my visor. it sucked. I've been wearing a bauer 9900 cage and at first didn't like it, but within a game I got used to it. Go with the cage.

i wear a visor and have had one puck to the cheek in 3 years, i mean if its a better league, they should be pretty responsible with their sticks, but accidents happen

this is the key statement, when i played at college in an adult league like it sounds like you are, it was a bunch of guys who had skill (if you put an all star team together, they probably could have beaten the club team) wore a visor with no issue what so ever. Several years later, the league i play in now, isnt so good with the sticks and the invincibility feeling at 18 I had is gone, took one high stick to the chin, busted me open good, played a few more games noticed i played hesitant and went to the cage.

At the end of the day its you're call, try it a bit and see how you like it and if it affects your game in a bad way, go to the cage!