Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ZombieAttack27

How dangerous are visors?

They can be pretty dangerous.

When I first moved to Florida from Canada I was still wearing a half shield and joined a pretty competitive C-league. I play with a friend originally from Winnipeg, he used to tell me I was crazy if I didn't put a cage on playing in Florida. I used to be a paratrooper and am now a firefighter. I wasn't going to wear a cage, they were for Nancy's. I got hit from behind into the boards and my shield rocked down and peeled the skin on my nose back. I went to block a shot from the point and it started to climb really fast, i covered my teeth with my glove and it caught me right in the throat. I had a stick come up under the half shield and cut me right in the corner of my eye/eyelid. I enjoy being a firefighter and need my eyes. So I went back to an old Cooper beer league/box lacrosse cat eye cage I've had forever.

In the last year and a half I've had 2 teammates lose multiple teeth (1with mouth guard in place) and another playing up in B league get a nice 4" scar on his cheek. All three were wearing half shields and would have been unscathed if they'd worn a cage.

They can be pretty dangerous.

When I first moved to Florida from Canada I was still wearing a half shield and joined a pretty competitive C-league. I play with a friend originally from Winnipeg, he used to tell me I was crazy if I didn't put a cage on playing in Florida. I used to be a paratrooper and am now a firefighter. I wasn't going to wear a cage, they were for Nancy's. I got hit from behind into the boards and my shield rocked down and peeled the skin on my nose back. I went to block a shot from the point and it started to climb really fast, i covered my teeth with my glove and it caught me right in the throat. I had a stick come up under the half shield and cut me right in the corner of my eye/eyelid. I enjoy being a firefighter and need my eyes. So I went back to an old Cooper beer league/box lacrosse cat eye cage I've had forever.

In the last year and a half I've had 2 teammates lose multiple teeth (1with mouth guard in place) and another playing up in B league get a nice 4" scar on his cheek. All three were wearing half shields and would have been unscathed if they'd worn a cage.

There isn't the same stigma associated with cages in a lot of the warmer climate rinks.

Yea, I'd keep the cage. I know us younger guys think we are invincible ha. Unless you have no regard for your face, I don't see any major benefit to wearing a 1/2er. The dress game improves and freedom of having no cage but it only takes one time to see those 'upsides' as minuscule. I wore my 1/2er for one game about year ago and I had some guy punch me in the face, with his glove, leaving me with a swollen lip and cut right underneath my eye. I was fortunate (Thank you God) that I only had to suffer a little to get a wake up call. I don't begrudge anybody for wearing a visor but you won't catch me wearing one as a player. I keep my face and teeth while having the ability to chirp and communicate haha.

Lost two teeth that are now replaced by fake teeth that are cemented to post drilled and tapped into my upper jaw. Broken cheek bone. 4-6 bloody noses. Stitches on the bridge of my nose. I refused to go to a cage because of the attitude and comments you get from those not wearing them about you being a chicken shit and not. Was not worth the pain. And you will notice those running their mouths about people "hiding" behind cages are the ones that have rolled double 7's long enough to have the luck to avoid an injury yet. Their tune will change when their number is up. Keep the cage.

None of us are making enough money to take the risk and go cageless. It just isn't worth it.

Well finally it happened.

Been wearing a half visor since jr. hockey and finally in a mens league game I got a high-stick blowing past a guy on the wing. 2 Root canal, post and a some fake teeth installed. $1400 later. Needless to say I'll be wearing a cage from now on, just not worth it to go through this shit again. I picked up a 9900 cage, but I cant get the damn screws out of my visor they are rusted. I know im going to hate the cage, but its a small sacrifice to make if you don't want to lose your teeth.

2zf0lfs.jpg

So in conclusion, better to wear and not need the cage, than to not wear the cage and then need it. Anyone catch that wings game last night?

So in conclusion, better to wear and not need the cage, than to not wear the cage and then need it. Anyone catch that wings game last night?

wings game??

Low shots from the point can always get deflected up. Go on youtube and find videos of those players who have had pucks to the face (Yzerman comes to mind) off a deflected puck.

I went with a visor for a really short period of time, mainly because I thought it looked cool. Went back to the cage after only two games with it because there were too many people who cant control their stick.

Its up to you... at the end of the day, its your face/teeth/money...

Same here. I'm going back to a cage as soon as I can afford it.

+1 for cages even though for the past year or so I've been thinking about moving to a visor.

Couple of months ago in training I sniped a shot off in front of goal, opposing player (wearing a visor) lunged in with his stick (extended reach, head down) at the same time, my follow thru rode up his stick, over the gloves, up his arm and my blade bounced off his front teeth, chipped tooth not unlike JamesCL.

Couple of weeks ago played in a Masters tournament, again in front of goal and snapped of a wrister, opposing player broke his stick across my face cage. wtf, if I'd been in a 1/2 visor and even had the best mouth guard in the world, I'd have been picking teeth and bone out of the back of my head! My musings about wearing a visor are well and truly over.

Yes to the cage.

I've worn no more than a visor for 45 years. This year alone I've had 2 concussions and 4 - 5 cuts. After consecutive games with deflections to the face which were caught by the visor but close calls, I decided to try a cage. First game I switched back to my spare helmet with visor after 1 period. 2nd game I made it through the game but played like crap. Now I don't even notice.

2 weeks ago I took a deflection to the face so hard it sounded like it hit the post.

That would have been a bunch of stitches and broken teeth/jaw. The cage is a bit of a PITA but a single shot to the face can cause major damage.

I guess I could get out of the front of the net but what fun is that?

I took a puck in the mouth last week. Luckily my teeth were fine, my lip not so much. I've had enough stitches and black eyes from high sticks in the last couple of years that its time to ditch the visor. I bought a REAKT cage and am trying to get used to it, its tough to go back to though.

So much of the whole cage/visor debate seems to be based on the "it won't happen to me" idea. It's usually not said that way, more like "in lower leagues" and "accidents happen" and things like that. But I can personally count 3 people in various places I play that switched to the cage this year alone, after taking their first shot/stick to the face. Why wait for the first shattered nose or broken jaw and THEN put on the cage? Just wear the right protective equipment and get over it. Hell, I bet more than a few pros would wear a cage, if they were actually allowed to... look how many have thrown on the visor in recent years. Yeah, it's a whole different world of vision when you get rid of the bars - I've skated sans helmet during warmups and stuff, I get it - but until you've been there, you have NO idea how bad serious dental/jaw work sucks. It just ain't worth it.

So much of the whole cage/visor debate seems to be based on the "it won't happen to me" idea. It's usually not said that way, more like "in lower leagues" and "accidents happen" and things like that. But I can personally count 3 people in various places I play that switched to the cage this year alone, after taking their first shot/stick to the face. Why wait for the first shattered nose or broken jaw and THEN put on the cage? Just wear the right protective equipment and get over it. Hell, I bet more than a few pros would wear a cage, if they were actually allowed to... look how many have thrown on the visor in recent years. Yeah, it's a whole different world of vision when you get rid of the bars - I've skated sans helmet during warmups and stuff, I get it - but until you've been there, you have NO idea how bad serious dental/jaw work sucks. It just ain't worth it.

Easy there, dont take it so personally. People have the right to wear what they like, no visor/visor/cage. Yes facial injuries do happen but they are rare, i have yet to witness a serious one playing with somewhat high level, competitive players, and hopefully will never witness one. But i know people that did take some pucks to the face, and cages were out of question still, some people just feel and play better with visors/no visor at all, no matter what.

When I was in cages I had a better time taking accurate shots bc it gave me tunnel vision when I shot. I wouldN'T go back to it though, I love visor. I have lost my two front teeth though. You need a good mouth guard. Mine is dentist molded.

I'd go with a visor instead.

Easy there, dont take it so personally. People have the right to wear what they like, no visor/visor/cage. Yes facial injuries do happen but they are rare, i have yet to witness a serious one playing with somewhat high level, competitive players, and hopefully will never witness one. But i know people that did take some pucks to the face, and cages were out of question still, some people just feel and play better with visors/no visor at all, no matter what.

Not taking it personally, sorry if it came off that way. It's just a little weird to keep seeing guys getting their faces smashed up and say "oh yeah, I'm definitely getting a cage now". Too late at that point. And it's just not that rare - I saw the most recent case just two weeks ago. One guy's stick rode up the other guy's stick, not careless, just hockey play... guy ends up with a totally smashed nose, just destroyed... sitting by the side of the rink with a towel on his face saying how he's going to buy a cage. Just seems like a waste to me. But yeah, if you don't care about your face, rock whatever you want. It only bothers me when we have to stop my game to pick up your chicklets.

I've been playing with a visor the last 3 years. I've only had one high stick that caused blood. Someone's stick came up, caught me in the upper teeth/lip and split my lip open on the inside. I wear a mouthguard so the teeth were ok (though they did hurt a little) but I had a nice fat lip for a few days.

What has made me decide to go back to a cage is that one of my guys took a slapper from the point it was either deflected, or was errant to begin with, and had I not put by glove/stick up in that split second it would have smashed me just below the visor. Luckily it caught the side of my index finger and stick which deflected it up and away. Scared the crap out of me. Cage from now on. I'll get used to it.

I think what people hate about cages is that it screws with the eyes when looked outside or down at the puck. But, that I believe is just strictly getting used to the cage until your eyes don't notice it anymore. I just look at guys on my team who play just fine in a cage and all the college kids who play just fine with cages. Yes, I love the open view of a visor, but I definitely do not want to have a reconstructed jaw/face no matter how rare that instance might happen. If I wear shoulder gear in a non-check league to protect myself from the random instances....why shouldn't I be wearing a cage for the same reason?

Plenty of guys in my beer league play without a cage and that's fine. Entirely their decision. But after that puck almost hit me and my teammate lost his two front upper teeth....I'm ok using a cage.

Not taking it personally, sorry if it came off that way. It's just a little weird to keep seeing guys getting their faces smashed up and say "oh yeah, I'm definitely getting a cage now". Too late at that point. And it's just not that rare - I saw the most recent case just two weeks ago. One guy's stick rode up the other guy's stick, not careless, just hockey play... guy ends up with a totally smashed nose, just destroyed... sitting by the side of the rink with a towel on his face saying how he's going to buy a cage. Just seems like a waste to me. But yeah, if you don't care about your face, rock whatever you want. It only bothers me when we have to stop my game to pick up your chicklets.

True dat. My teammate took a deflected slapper to the teeth (he had visor on). Two weeks later he came back with a cage. A lil too late no doubt. Mine is the same. Few seasons ago this guy and I were fighting for the puck in the neutral zone. I spun to my right around with my stick level below the belt. He was falling and was in my blindside. My lower shaft caught him in his teeth by the combination of him falling and me spinning. He lost all his front upper teeth. Terrible. Two weeks later, a guy high sticked me from behind and got my two front upper teeth. What goes around comes around right? I should've gone back to cage as soon as that first high stick happened, I knew hockey gods were going to smite me soon.

I've been playing with a visor the last 3 years. I've only had one high stick that caused blood. Someone's stick came up, caught me in the upper teeth/lip and split my lip open on the inside. I wear a mouthguard so the teeth were ok (though they did hurt a little) but I had a nice fat lip for a few days.

What has made me decide to go back to a cage is that one of my guys took a slapper from the point it was either deflected, or was errant to begin with, and had I not put by glove/stick up in that split second it would have smashed me just below the visor. Luckily it caught the side of my index finger and stick which deflected it up and away. Scared the crap out of me. Cage from now on. I'll get used to it.

I think what people hate about cages is that it screws with the eyes when looked outside or down at the puck. But, that I believe is just strictly getting used to the cage until your eyes don't notice it anymore. I just look at guys on my team who play just fine in a cage and all the college kids who play just fine with cages. Yes, I love the open view of a visor, but I definitely do not want to have a reconstructed jaw/face no matter how rare that instance might happen. If I wear shoulder gear in a non-check league to protect myself from the random instances....why shouldn't I be wearing a cage for the same reason?

Plenty of guys in my beer league play without a cage and that's fine. Entirely their decision. But after that puck almost hit me and my teammate lost his two front upper teeth....I'm ok using a cage.

The thing I hate about the cage is that as well. It's not when your stick handling, rather when it gets lost in your skates in some situations, the black colour of the cage can get you confused with where the puck is in your skates. Much of the time there isn't an issue with handling and shooting with the cage. If there is then it's a matter of getting used to it and getting better as a player.

Still, I won't and can't go back to a cage. Visor all the way.

Well finally it happened.

Been wearing a half visor since jr. hockey and finally in a mens league game I got a high-stick blowing past a guy on the wing. 2 Root canal, post and a some fake teeth installed. $1400 later. Needless to say I'll be wearing a cage from now on, just not worth it to go through this shit again. I picked up a 9900 cage, but I cant get the damn screws out of my visor they are rusted. I know im going to hate the cage, but its a small sacrifice to make if you don't want to lose your teeth.

2zf0lfs.jpg

curious to know if you wore a mouth guard?

The thing I hate about the cage is that as well. It's not when your stick handling, rather when it gets lost in your skates in some situations, the black colour of the cage can get you confused with where the puck is in your skates. Much of the time there isn't an issue with handling and shooting with the cage. If there is then it's a matter of getting used to it and getting better as a player.

Still, I won't and can't go back to a cage. Visor all the way.

Yeah, that is exactly what I'm talking about. Is that I lose the puck sometimes if it's in or around my feet. I feel like the bars sometimes hide it from me, but again, so many people play just fine with a cage I feel it's something I can get around if I just wear it long enough.

I've played with cage, visor and without visor. Definitely will never play without at least a visor on. But, I just bought the Itech visor/cage combo from a MSH member so will be excited to give it a try. Luckily, Hockeymonkey.com had replacement visors for it on clearance so I should be good to go for awhile. Hopefully it's a happy compromise. I'm just way to scared to lose some teeth AND I don't make near enough money to pay for the dental work - haha. Will still probably wear a mouth guard since I'm so used to it at this point.

They're not allowed?

I'll always stick to a cage. Thought about going to a visor, but just a couple weeks ago, had a guy ask me if I minded my cage because he was thinking about switching from the visor to a cage because of experiences. After that, I'll defiantly stick to a cage.