Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ZombieAttack27

How dangerous are visors?

Thinking of getting a boulder hockey shield just to see how it copes with antifog.

I use a half visor but it's the biggest I could find - modified Oakley VR910.

Was caught deep in my own zone, pass went out to the blue line, I turned around to be greeted to a high puck to the visor.

Thinking of getting a boulder hockey shield just to see how it copes with antifog.

I use a half visor but it's the biggest I could find - modified Oakley VR910.

Was caught deep in my own zone, pass went out to the blue line, I turned around to be greeted to a high puck to the visor.

We have a thread about it here.

I can tell you, after one season, three of the players I coach now have scratches and it fogs mid game. They took good care of it (from what I was told by them)

Here is the thread, http://www.modsquadhockey.com/forums/index.php?/topic/33257-boulder-hockey-shield-company/

I play with a guy who go knocked down face first on the ice once and the visor cracked and cut his face...

I've seen injuries caused and prevented by both shields and cages. It is up to the individual how much protection he/she feels safe in wearing. However, awareness on the ice by everyone involved is what makes the game safe. Hence, if you have trouble controlling your shot or just about every one-timer you take is head high then you probably shouldn't be taking them. Nobody (shield, cage, or nothing) wants to take your head buried shot off the head/neck/chest, friend or foe.

visors aren't "dangerous". They are just less safe than a full cage. I personally have worn a visor my whole life, and just within the last 3 yaers, a mouth guard. Do I risk losing teeth, yup? Can I stand a cage, nope. If you are used to the cage, stick with it.

I don't know if anyone knows about this but there is this cage from Bauer that is painted white on the inside and black on the outside. I've worn this particular cage for 2 years now and it's been great. The white on the inside really contrasts the puck well and helps it to stand out when playing. It also blends with the ice quite nicely, and you end up not really noticing the cage at all.

Here's the hockeymonkey link for anybody interested

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/bauer-rbe3-facemask.html

The RBE VIII also has white interior/black exterior and some people prefer that one to the RBE III due to the bar spacing. These cages are also a helluva lot cheaper than the Re-Akt titanium cage FWIW

I've been following this post for awhile and figured I'd chime in with my opinion. I wore a cage in high school and a half in Jr's. and nothing now (mid 30's). I agree with the premise of the "we don't get paid to play", but my take on it is this: I don't get paid to play, so why should I put myself in the position of playing in a situation that isn't as enjoyable to me? I left rec league because it was dangerous for me to play without a cage. Now I play with a group of guys that played Jr's, college, pro and just like to have fun.

My thought process is, if I can't take a clear shot on goal, I should pass and cycle until we have a better opportunity. Rather than ring it off the glass andd out, I should get my head up and regroup. Why take a slapper from the point and take the chance of breaking someones $700 skates, $200 stick, or turning their face into paste, when I could collect myself and put some sauce on team mates stick for a tap in? Why not play a guy to the outside with position rather than poke-check every play and hope it doesn't take a bad bounce.

I'd rather spend my time playing garage hockey with the neighborhood kids than ever play with people whom are disrepectful, at any level.

That being said, I don't begrudge anyone who wears a cage, it's all choice. But I drive a 1977 vehicle; don't hit me and then bitch at me because I don't have an airbag. Just don't hit me in the first place!

My thought process is, if I can't take a clear shot on goal, I should pass and cycle until we have a better opportunity. Rather than ring it off the glass andd out, I should get my head up and regroup. Why take a slapper from the point and take the chance of breaking someones $700 skates, $200 stick, or turning their face into paste, when I could collect myself and put some sauce on team mates stick for a tap in? Why not play a guy to the outside with position rather than poke-check every play and hope it doesn't take a bad bounce.

I agree with this full. I can't count the times I've past up a shot being in a dangerous scoring area because I was aware that there were guys in front with no face protection or even not facing the play with unprotected back sides.

Unfortunately many started later in life and want to play more aggressive and take slappers every opportunity, etc, etc. You can't control the others around you.

And I'm by no means saying I'm better than anyone else, by no means! Mindset shouldn't have anything to do with ability. I know when I started at 16, I had the mindset of "anything for a win/goal/etc". But when I went outside for shinny, it was a diffferent game. Looking back, I can see that now and think that as a sport, we need to change that culture. I digress.... Wear a mask, they're inherently safer, but keep your shots and sticks down and look out for others.

And I'm by no means saying I'm better than anyone else, by no means! Mindset shouldn't have anything to do with ability. I know when I started at 16, I had the mindset of "anything for a win/goal/etc". But when I went outside for shinny, it was a diffferent game. Looking back, I can see that now and think that as a sport, we need to change that culture. I digress.... Wear a mask, they're inherently safer, but keep your shots and sticks down and look out for others.

I completely agree. Though with now the up & coming regulation stating that all players would have to wear a visor, I won't be surprised to see in 10-15 years full face protection being mandatory. Be ahead of your time and wear a bauer reckon/visor-shield combo or cage but I do believe that half visors are too dangerous, you never know who's your opponent.

I guess I must be the luckiest person on these boards.

I wore a cage for years, switched to a visor to see how it was, and about 5 years ago I took off the visor and haven't worn any facial protection since. I've taken elbows, sticks and pucks to the face. I've had some minor scratches and bruises, but never enough to do any damage. I've dodged my fair share of deflected pucks and errant sticks. I've seen teammates need stitches and have nice puffy black eyes. I'm sure it's just a matter of time before something horrifically bloody happens to me.

Mouth guard... and skate around with one hand covering the lower portion of your face when someone close to you is about to shoot. LOL

Been wearing a visor for approximately 3 years now, every time i was hit in face, it went off the visor. I am force to wear a cage when I play university intramural and it's a pain switching back and forth, to this day I am still not able to comfortably wear my old cage. My advice is, if you wore a cage all your life, and it's not bothering you, keep it. It's like smoking, once you start it's hard to switch back LOL, and if you do decide to wear a visor, make sure you wear a mouth guard, it'll be the best $100 investment ever (depends what brand you buy, I bought the under armor, the same ones the pros use, and it costed me around 400, had to get them customized by a dentist).

i have had no problems playing with a visor. knock on wood! if your playing with benders or playing in a c or d league I would recommend a cage. If your playing in a A or B league a visor should be fine. Things can happen so its wise to be aware and what you are looking for. Also just weigh the situation. If your playing mens league chances are the NHL or any semi-pro hockey team aren't going to come calling.

I do bring two helmets with me. One with a hs22 bauer straight and the other with a ccm white 480 cage. I bring both just in case anything bads happens

you paid 400 for a mouth guard?

i got mine made by a dentist for 75

Yes, it's pretty pricey here in Canada, especially if you want the custom under armor one. I tried wearing other brands, but they were just too bulky.

Yes, it's pretty pricey here in Canada, especially if you want the custom under armor one. I tried wearing other brands, but they were just too bulky.

just a heads up, im from edmonton

i have had no problems playing with a visor. knock on wood! if your playing with benders or playing in a c or d league I would recommend a cage. If your playing in a A or B league a visor should be fine. Things can happen so its wise to be aware and what you are looking for.

Honestly this. One of the reasons I just wont play with shitty people, its not worth it. They cause so many injuries because they just are not aware of anything.

Having said that, my bottom hand always comes up to cover my jawline when someone on the point lets one go.

My bottom 3 front teeth are all somewhat chipped from minor hockey. I don't even let the dentists try to fix them anymore because it feels funny and I end up breaking them somehow :laugh: