Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ZombieAttack27

How dangerous are visors?

No amount of facial surgery is worth it. Get a cage or a full shield/ combo. I highly recommend the Boulder full shield. Yes it fogs some, but its better than looking through bars for some players. Just comes down to personal preference.

There a a couple of guys in my league and at pickup groups I regularly play with that dont wear anything...including guys I like and know very well. I've also seen these cage-less wonders bitch out other guys for taking high shots. I can't understand why the think it's the shooters responsibility. Most games that I play in move fast enough that if I have an open shot, I'm sure as hell taking it. I simply don't have the time to look to make sure you have face protection on before I take my shot. If you're on the ice without a cage or combo, then you taking the risk.

Because your not going to score many goals with head high shots. You wearing a cage doesn't give you the right to not care if your taking slap shots into someone's teeth.

No amount of facial surgery is worth it. Get a cage or a full shield/ combo. I highly recommend the Boulder full shield. Yes it fogs some, but its better than looking through bars for some players. Just comes down to personal preference.

There a a couple of guys in my league and at pickup groups I regularly play with that dont wear anything...including guys I like and know very well. I've also seen these cage-less wonders bitch out other guys for taking high shots. I can't understand why the think it's the shooters responsibility. Most games that I play in move fast enough that if I have an open shot, I'm sure as hell taking it. I simply don't have the time to look to make sure you have face protection on before I take my shot. If you're on the ice without a cage or combo, then you taking the risk.

I don't care if a shot gets deflected high because that's the nature of the game but the shooter is definitely responsible for his shot. You don't shoot recklessly. Doesn't matter what level you play at.

Head hunter shots are stupid and dangerous. If you can't control your slapper then don't take one.

Another .02 here, I wore a cage till I was 19 and had more dental work done with it on then since taking it off.(Knocking on wood right now) I always wore my cage tight to my chin and was elbowed a few times and punched in the cage all three times the cage rode up and ended up chipping my two front teeth. At 19 I went naked and have had plenty of close calls with guys trying to lift your stick and missing the stick and connecting with my eyebrow. I now rock a half to appease the gf, and will probably keep it for the future. As everyone said if your not getting paid to play, you should probably rock out the cage, but my own experience made me go without anything for 6 years and then put on a half in just the last year.

I never said anyone was taking head high shots. I also never said I had the "right" to take slap shots into someones teeth. If I had that level of control, I might be playing for money. Like most amateur players, if I have a shot I take it. Hockey moves too fast to have 100% awareness of everyone else. Any skater's safety is ultimately his or her own responsibility provided the other guys are playing within the rules. If you think someone else should be looking out for you more than yourself then good luck to you.

Nobody I play with gets paid to play, yet we all have enough control to not take head high shots. The guys I play with expect others to keep their sticks down and shots down. If you and the guys you play with lack that basic respect or skill then I guess I can't blame you for being so anti visor.

I guess I misunderstood what you wrote then.

I find this thread a little bemusing.

Shouldn't the post really be titled: "is playing hockey dangerous?" the obvious answer (just as in the case as to whether a cage is safer then a visor) is that yes, in fact it is. I think we all understand that Hockey is a dangerous sport. You have 10 bodies moving at super human speeds in a confined hard surface space wielding long sticks and shooting a six ounce hard rubber disc as hard as they can. Planting petunias this is not.

Starting from the proposition that a visor carries inherently more risk of injury to the user then a cage, can anyone answer the OP by providing a percentage by which a visor is more risky? likely not. There are too many variables, for example, he is proposing wearing a non-certified visor as opposed to a certified visor. Can someone calculate the fraction of risk allocated to that choice? The point is, even in the most controlled game, the puck can ricochet unexpectedly and generally unexpected and dangerous events can and will happen at a moments notice. The level of protective gear you wear will mitigate against the potential from injury. Period.

Confession time: I wear a visor.

Am I taking a risk? yes. Could I lower the percentage chance of being hurt by wearing a cage? yes. Is that percentage chance quantifiable? no. Am I taking a risk simply by playing hockey? yes. the moral of the story is decide for yourself. Whatever you feel comfortable with, go with it.

/drops mic, walks away.

I switched from goalie to forward 6 months ago and have worn a visor the whole time. Since then I've taken a puck to the chin (stitches), puck to the cheek, and two sticks to my mouth. I haven't lost any teeth but bled pretty good each time. I'm pretty sure I'll be putting a cage on soon.

Well since this post in April I put my cage on for about 2 months then decided to take it off. Since taking it off I've taken a stick to the nose that needed stitches and another stick to the mouth that chipped half my front tooth off. As much as I hate wearing a cage I'll be putting it back on for good.

I never said anyone was taking head high shots. I also never said I had the "right" to take slap shots into someones teeth. If I had that level of control, I might be playing for money. Like most amateur players, if I have a shot I take it. Hockey moves too fast to have 100% awareness of everyone else. Any skater's safety is ultimately his or her own responsibility provided the other guys are playing within the rules. If you think someone else should be looking out for you more than yourself then good luck to you.

it starting to sound like you may be a little irresponsible with your shooting choices. It is 100% the shooters responsibility when shooting a puck. it called shot selection. you may not be able to pick corners like a pro, but you can definitely choose to shoot at a head or at the knees. if you dont then your not keeping your head up. you dont have to be aware of everyone on the ice but you should be aware of whats in front of you.

as for cage debate, i play with a visor, and i find if your aware of whats around you, your can minimize your chances of getting hit in the face. now accidents happen i admit that. if if you put your self in dangerous positions bad things may happen. the reason i say this is that i know caged people that are reckless when they play because they feel invincible with a cage. those people are just as dangerous out there

it starting to sound like you may be a little irresponsible with your shooting choices. It is 100% the shooters responsibility when sooting a puck. it called shot selection. you may not be able to pick corners like a pro, but you can definitely choose to shoot at a head or at the knees. if you dont then your not keeping your head up. you dont have to be aware of everyone on the ice but you should be aware of whats in front of you.

as for cage debate, i play with a visor, and i find if your aware of whats around you, your can minimize your chances of getting hit in the face. now accidents happen i admit that. if if you put your self in dangerous positions bad things may happen. the reason i say this is that i know caged people that are reckless when they play because they feel invincible with a cage. those people are just as dangerous out there

No, I'm not irresponsible with my shooting choices...that's a ridiculous assumption. I'm done arguing with people that assume rather than think. If you're on the ice you're responsible for your own safety.

No, I'm not irresponsible with my shooting choices...that's a ridiculous assumption. I'm done arguing with people that assume rather than think. If you're on the ice you're responsible for your own safety.

your first post screams otherwise.......

No. It does not. You misinterpreted my post. I've explained it many times already. Please move on unless you have something to say besides harassing me.

What I took from his post is that if a guy wearing a visor, or no visor at all, goes down to block a shot and gets hit in the face....that is the shot blockers fault for making that decision. I don't think anyone posting in this thread will intentionally shoot into someone's face. But if he shoots (not at the face) and it gets deflected or it comes off his blade weird....ultimately the choice of going down to block the shot (without full face protection) was the choice of the shot blocker and thus he accepted the risk. Now, as a human being and fellow rec-league player, should you make the decision not to rocket something into someone's face? Yeah, probably. But if someone goes down to block a shot without face protection, that is 100% their choice.

I have gone down on one knee to block shots while wearing a visor. Now, I cover the bottom half of my face with my glove, but still feel stupid for doing so. It's a natural reaction ingrained in me from youth hockey. But, also a reason that I will be going back to a cage.

Ultimately....it is the CHOICE of the person and I'm pretty sure that's the point he was trying to make.

Re: the high shot debate, obviously nobody tries to shoot head high, but even good players will sometimes shoot high unintentionally, especially on one timers. Most people can control the height on their shots most of the time, but sometimes shots just get away from you, even for pros:

Pucks get up in hockey, if you don't want to lose teeth, then wear a cage/full shield. It's never the shooters fault IMO.

"sometimes shots just get away from you, even for pros" Agree 100%. I'm more reserved with my one timers in adult league simply because they have a tendency to rise. I'm confident in my shot control, but every now and then a puck will hit a chip of ice just enough to not be completely flat when I slap it...and it can take off. It's going to happen to everyone occasionally. Hockey is a dangerous sport...period. If you wear less than a cage it's a risk you take. The same could be said for people who wear cages but not a neck guard (myself included). It's a risk I'm sure every adult on here probably takes, even though the thought of a stick, puck or skate to the throat is one that makes us all cringe. I've been hit enough in the cage (seems to happen once every few weeks, be it a puck or a stick) to keep my desire to wear less at ease...

Can't help but think of Ben Lovejoy on 24/7 when reading this discussion. "Can you tell I got hit?"

"sometimes shots just get away from you, even for pros" Agree 100%. I'm more reserved with my one timers in adult league simply because they have a tendency to rise. I'm confident in my shot control, but every now and then a puck will hit a chip of ice just enough to not be completely flat when I slap it...and it can take off. It's going to happen to everyone occasionally. Hockey is a dangerous sport...period. If you wear less than a cage it's a risk you take. The same could be said for people who wear cages but not a neck guard (myself included). It's a risk I'm sure every adult on here probably takes, even though the thought of a stick, puck or skate to the throat is one that makes us all cringe. I've been hit enough in the cage (seems to happen once every few weeks, be it a puck or a stick) to keep my desire to wear less at ease...

Can't help but think of Ben Lovejoy on 24/7 when reading this discussion. "Can you tell I got hit?"

Indeed, another good example. No tip, the shot just goes higher than the shooter intended, and it caught Lovejoy in the face. At every level of hockey (even the NHL) you'll see a number of shots sail above the crossbar pretty much every game, those shots are often at head height. I've never hit someone in the face with my shot personally, but I've seen it happen a number of times. The shooters aren't trying to shoot that high, but we're all human, for whatever reason sometimes you shoot higher than you intend to.

I'm 100% fine with people deciding to wear visors (or no face protection at all), everyone has different levels of risk that are acceptable to them. But if you chose not to wear a cage/full visor, don't get mad if someone unintentionally shoots high. If you do get caught in the face, and lose teeth/need stitches/whatever, you have nobody to blame but yourself, since cheap pieces of equipment exist that will completely eliminate this particular risk.

For whatever it's worth, the stigma that was once associated with cages doesn't seem to be nearly as prevalent anymore. 20 or 25 years ago, it seemed that players in my men's league would get chirped a bit if they wore a cage, especially by the old-timers, especially if things got chippy. Now, as the teams get filled with relatively younger players who all grew up wearing cages (and who now have jobs that benefit from having teeth and a functioning jaw, families who appreciate non-bloody dads, etc.), I can't remember the last time anyone chirped anyone about it, unless they were trying to actually provoke a fight and wanted the guy to remove his cage.

As to the ultimate question, the pros of wearing a visor are pretty limited -- you look a lot cooler and see a bit better. The cons -- wrecking your mouth/jaw/nose/face in various ways -- are pretty significant. But YMMV, and godspeed to you if you want to make life interesting and live on the edge a bit.

I know for some people the weight of a cage is something that bothers them, but I just picked up one of the titanium Re-akt cages and it's great. I've always had to wear a cage because of a facial injury I picked up as a kid, but I've worn visors for coaching and officiating, and the weight difference between the Re-akt cage and the visors I've worn is negligible.

A guy that used to skate on our team ate a puck last week. It hit the visor and went straight down into his mouth. Split two teeth and destroyed his bottom lip. I am going shopping for a cage this afternoon.