Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Svatos37

Martin St. Louis Stick?

I think this was discussed already, but looks like Yellow Syn Grip, or Maxx Stickum

are you sure, because it seems weird he would be using an older stick that nobady ever really even used when it was new.

But it's the stick he had good luck with

I think he was doing "not as good" in the beginning of the year when he had his vapor xxx lite (fanning on shots etc. from what i've heard anyways) so he made the switch back to his yellow synergy due to his luck/use with it last year (as said above)

What do you mean Svatos? Tons of guys used synergy's and synergy grips when they were new. A number of players are still using them or have gone back to them because they don't like the newer offerings from Easton, Bauer, et al.

I think he was doing "not as good" in the beginning of the year when he had his vapor xxx lite (fanning on shots etc. from what i've heard anyways) so he made the switch back to his yellow synergy due to his luck/use with it last year (as said above)

yes it is logical that he switched back to his old sticks that he had good success with, but the only question I have is it his "old supply" ?

If its his "old supply" did he leave them lying around somewhere in storage ?

Those sticks are at least 2 years old (when they won the Stanley Cup).

yes it is logical that he switched back to his old sticks that he had good success with, but the only question I have is it his "old supply" ?

If its his "old supply" did he leave them lying around somewhere in storage ?

Those sticks are at least 2 years old (when they won the Stanley Cup).

More than likely, yes. Steve Staios is one other player I can think of who used Synergy Grip's back in the 03/04 NHL, and at the beginning of this year he still was using his yellow synergy grips.

When I saw it I assumed it was a Warrior MacDaddy. It kind of has that color, or even though sometimes it looks kind of green it looks yellow in pictures (like those of Mike Comrie). The old Synergy Grip idea sounds plausible too. It's just that I had forgotten he ever used those and so many pros are switching to Warrior sticks, Friesen had one in his hands this week and he had been using the Mission Pulse just before that, late in the regular season.

My last guess would be for the Synergy Grip now that you guys bring it up. St. Louis's stick looks yellower than Comries and the fade from blade to shaft looks more gradual on St. Louis's, like the pictures of him with that stick two years ago.

wow, I wouldn't think they would have enough supply left ?

You would figure that the team would try to move some of the old stock due to limited space (I have seen some footage of the Leafs stick closet - looked about 8 feet by 10 feet). You can only put so many sticks in there and after a while things just get buried.

Also, how many good/new sticks can these players have left ? How many are issued to them ? I saw some players sticks and they mark them (ie. 2 of 24).

More than likely, yes. Steve Staios is one other player I can think of who used Synergy Grip's back in the 03/04 NHL, and at the beginning of this year he still was using his yellow synergy grips.

Edit: Went through Getty Images, and Redden was using a Synthesis Grip at the beginning of the season.

wow, I wouldn't think they would have enough supply left ?

You would figure that the team would try to move some of the old stock due to limited space (I have seen some footage of the Leafs stick closet - looked about 8 feet by 10 feet). You can only put so many sticks in there and after a while things just get buried.

Also, how many good/new sticks can these players have left ? How many are issued to them ? I saw some players sticks and they mark them (ie. 2 of 24).

the lightning give some of their sticks to the pro shop where they practice... Which in turn, sells those sticks for $100 for composites and $30 for Modin's woodies. Haven't seen any St Louis or Lecavalier's sticks in there.

did you ever see any of Dan Boyle's sticks there ? If so do you remember what type of curve he uses ? On television it looks like he uses a Synethesis shaft and a t-flex blade.

Last week they only had an Affy, a Dingman, a few Modin's, like 4 Pratt's and a Prospal.

I've seen Boyle's stick but I don't recall what it was or what the curve looked like. I really like Affy's curve... not sure what to compare it to, but I imagine it's excellent for puckhandling.

Here's a nice pic of Boyle's stick.

13075390_l.jpg

I know that this thread is older than dirt, but I figured that it would be better just to ask here, rather than starting a new one...

Does anybody know what flex St. Louis uses, and roughly how long his sticks are?

85 flex and they ship at 57" but he cuts them and adds his shaved wood plug.

Why cut, then add an extension? What does that do for him?

Why cut, then add an extension? What does that do for him?

Obviously it's a preference thing. I do the same thing. For starters, the shaved extension feels better holding than the boxy stick. Also, I found that it gives a better balance to the stick and dampens the shock of a hard shot or pass...

Obviously it's a preference thing. I do the same thing. For starters, the shaved extension feels better holding than the boxy stick. Also, I found that it gives a better balance to the stick and dampens the shock of a hard shot or pass...

OK, thanks, didn't think about that. I've probably never played often enough to know the difference in feel.

OK, thanks, didn't think about that. I've probably never played often enough to know the difference in feel.

It's defiantly an experiment that I would do. It helped me out a lot. I got a few sticks from a Devils pro stock sale 4? years ago and Zajac, Clarkson, and Brookbank all did the same thing. It's also nice because if you switch sticks as much as they do (and I do), you could keep the basic grip that you want and just move it to the next stick. I have also found that if you're a stickler about weight, you could screw little holes through the wood plug, almost like a pilot hole. I can't imagine it makes much of a difference but I know people that do that.