Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Allsmokenopancake

2008 Washington Capitals thread

Yes Smoke it is so nice to not wonder about the draft pick by this time in the season.

I will be in a box on Thursday but section 416 on Saturday. Crazy how close we are even for how bad we started. I thought for sure w/Nyles out the Caps would slump but instead we sweep against the Senators not too shabby.

Games in hand is one of the biggest fallacies in the NHL.

Depends on your viewpoint.

All things being equal, if the caps bank the games in hand, they are ahead or right along side the 3 teams ahead of them in the SE.

Of course, if they lose them, they are SOL.

But look at recent form (last 10 games)

Thrashers - 5-4-1 = 11 points

Canes - 3-6-1 = 7 points

Panthers - 3-6-1 = 7 points

Caps - 6-2-2 = 14 points

Tampa - 2-6-2 = 4 points

With about 35 games left, using the current form...

Thrashers on pace for about 38.50 points, lets say 39

Canes on pace for about 24.50 points, lets say 25

Panthres same as the canes, so 25

Caps on pace for 49 points

Tampa on pace for 14 points

Add those points to todays standings, the SE finishes like this

Caps - 92 points

Thrashers - 87 points

Canes - 73 points

Panthers - 69 points

Tampa - 53 points

I don't expect it to play out like that, but whether you dismiss current form, or games in hand or 3 point games etc, the caps have a very real chance to take the #3 seed, if they play the way they are playing of late under Gabby

I will add this disclaimer.... I'm a caps homer, I got to a lot of games, and I am very biased, so my view will be naturally a little more rosey.

I also don't do enough work that I am already working out how they will win the SE division and lock up the #3 spot from 13th in the east!!!!

Never hurts to be an optimist but if you expect the Caps to keep going 6-2-2 in each of the segments left in the season to finish off 21-7-7 the rest of the way then you may be asking a little too much. Plus, the Canes were crushed by the flu in the past week or so. I woudn't expect their swoon to continue.

The Canes have been tanking for a month+ now. They just can't keep the puck out of their own net, which is why they have given up the third most goals in the league. It is hard to always have to win games 5-4.

The Caps have been playing really well as of late. I think they have a very good chance of coming out on top of the southeast. Funny how much things can change in two months.

Great Caps-Pens game on Versus tonight. Ov and Malkin are mixing it up. 2 goals each so far.

Very entertaining game. And, Washington is a fun team to watch. It's been a while since I saw them play. Pre-Boudreau I think. They are DEFINITELY a better team under him than Hanlon.

Great Caps-Pens game on Versus tonight. Ov and Malkin are mixing it up. 2 goals each so far.

Both players hit hard by injuries, good game. I think Kolzig should have been pulled after that 3rd goal

The first call was shit, but the second one was deserved.

yeah erskins didn't even try to hide that hook - i guess he assumed the refs wouldn't call it since they were already on a powerplay..

i still can't figure out why they didn't let malkin go in the shootout - he is the one guy that was actually having a good night

i still can't figure out why they didn't let malkin go in the shootout - he is the one guy that was actually having a good night

He's 3-17 in SO's....maybe his good night was over-shadowed by his past difficulties when Terrien was picking his shooters.

He's 3-17 in SO's....maybe his good night was over-shadowed by his past difficulties when Terrien was picking his shooters.

i understand christensen (although he missed) and i understand letang (hit the crossbar) - but not ruutu (although he scored)

i guess i just figure with all the moves malkin has that you have to keep giving him chances in the shootout every once in a while - because eventually he is going to figure it out

Just a follow up on the ovey/malkin thing from last night, from Tarik over at the post...

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/capitalsins...russian_or.html

But Ovechkin had some interesting things to say about trying to crush his friend and fellow Russian with shoulder check late in the first period. As it turned out, Ovechkin absorbed the brunt of the collision, and slammed sideways into the boards. The countrymen also exchanged some shoves at the next whistle.

Ovechkin's lip was left bleeding. But he was also smiling after the Caps' come-from-behind 6-5 win. Both had two goals and an assist.

"It's a game," Ovechkin said, shrugging. "It's a big game for us. A big two points. If I didn't hit him behind the net, maybe he scores goal. Then maybe my teammates ask me, 'Why you don't hit him?'

"I don't care if he's Russian or Canadian."

What do you guys think about the goalie situation. I know Olie has been great in the past but I think its time for a shake up. Johnson is good but I don't think he is consistent enough to be a NHL starter for a team that needs great goal tending due to an average at best defense. Hopefully the caps can pick up either a top center or a goalie at the trade deadline. Also when is the ETA on that foreign net minder they picked up in the draft I want to say last year?

What do you guys think about the goalie situation. I know Olie has been great in the past but I think its time for a shake up. Johnson is good but I don't think he is consistent enough to be a NHL starter for a team that needs great goal tending due to an average at best defense. Hopefully the caps can pick up either a top center or a goalie at the trade deadline. Also when is the ETA on that foreign net minder they picked up in the draft I want to say last year?

I think the caps are going to stick with BJ and Olie down the stretch. I think Johnnys workload will increase, and his past 4-5 games have made it hard to even sit him, but while kolzigs numbers have gone down, he is still 7-2 in his last 9 starts. And apart from that stinker of a rebound he gave up to Sundin last night (which semin should have been covering too, he is not blameless). As long as they keep winning, they won't change anything too drastically.

As far as the trade deadline. I don't see them going after a legit top center, because they would have to give too much. They have Backstrom playing lights out on the top line at the minute, and nylander is under contract for another 3 years, so won't get anyone under contract after this year. When Clark gets back in the lineup, he will slot in to the right of Ovey and Backstrom, and Kozlov will move to 2nd line center (my thinking, nothing official on that).

That will leave the lines sort of like this

Ovey-Backstrom-Clark

Flash-Kozlov-Semin (boy, lets hope they can play in the offensive zone because these guys are not going to give you anything on defensive)

Pettinger-Gordon-Laich

Brash-Steckel-Bradley

As far as the goalie, both Varlamov and Neuvirth are a few years away just yet. Machesney is apparently playing well in hershey, so he may be ready before the others.

I think they resign Olie for about $2 mil for next season