Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Allsmokenopancake

2008 Washington Capitals thread

even if the caps miss it this year, they got a lot of the pieces, and i think 12 million in cap space, 17 if u add the cap increase. Not sure how the UFA list looks this year, but Hossa would look good in red. :P

I don't know that the caps really need to add anyone. Sign Huet to a three year deal or so and get back a healthy Nylander and Clark and maybe add Alzner to the blue line along with Pothier and I think we are looking at a play-off team for next season

So how long till Ovechkin seriously hurts himself or someone else with his wreckless hits?

Seriously. Anyone else takes 20 strides and leaps at someone and everyone would be up in arms. Ovy does it and he's just physical and passionate. If he tries to run Malkin again and misses, does he get some kind of 3 strikes and you're out award?

By the way, for anyone hoping to get clark back soon. He is no longer skating with the team. He had been, and even made the road trip to boston but wasn't on the ice today. He may have reaggravated the groin.

These are the lines on the ice at ballston today

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Kozlov (Laing)

Cooke-Fedorov-Semin

Fleischmann-Laich-Fehr

Brashear-Gordon-Bradley

So Laing is likely a healthy scratch against the flames tomorrow. The flash/laich/fehr line that worked well when they were together has the history together too, as that was the top line when the bears won the calder cup.

And last but not least...Huet got a new mask with the eagle/caps logo....perhaps he is sticking around.

Wow...I knew Kolzig had put together a good career..but I had not idea he had 300 wins!

Nice mask for Huet. I didn't like that he was still wearing the "Forum Ghost" design for another team. New mask=New deal?

Quintan Laing nominated for the Masterton Trophy..

From tarik el bashir

The Washington beat writers have nominated Quintin Laing as the Capitals' Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy candidate for this season. The award is given each year to the player "best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship, and dedication to ice hockey."

To us, that's Laing, who hasn't seen a slap shot he didn't want to throw his body in front of. The 28-year-old toiled in the minor leagues for more than seven seasons before getting his shot. He's definitely made the most of it.

"That's a fabulous reward for him," Coach Bruce Boudreau said. "If anybody on this team deserves something for perseverance, I would have to say it's Quintin Laing."

Caps are 4-1 up on the thrashers tonight, with 5 minutes to go.

So they will move to 76 points after tonight.

Boston are currently in the #7 spot in the east with 80 points.

If the flyers beat boston tomorrow, and the caps beat them on sunday, the caps will be tied with them after the weekend, and the very improbable playoff scenario is back on again

Well, after the weekend, the caps are now 3 points behind the canes, with 2 head to heads left.

So, if they keep pace with them, and win both, they go through as the 3 seed.

Otherwise, lets hope the flyers keep falling

Some food for thought... This is the standings in the Eastern Conference since Bruce Boudreau took over... Pity he wasn't here sooner...

...........................GP W L OTL PTS

New Jersey ........51 33 14 4 70

Washington ......52 29 16 7 65

Montreal ............52 28 18 6 62

Pittsburgh ........50 32 13 5 69

Buffalo ..............54 26 18 10 62

Boston .............54 27 20 7 61

Florida .............51 25 19 7 57

Carolina ..........52 27 23 2 56

NY Rangers ........50 24 18 8 56

Philadelphia .......53 23 21 9 55

Ottawa ............52 24 22 6 54

Toronto ...........51 24 22 5 53

NY Islanders ......55 21 27 7 49

Atlanta ..............53 20 25 8 48

Tampa Bay .........51 19 26 6 44

Also, per tarik over at the post.... Clark might be eyeing a return as soon as tomorrow

Good news there! I am defiantly looking forward to a healthy caps team next year with the return of Nylander, Clark, Pothier. Hopefuly the bring Anzler up to the big club for next season also.

Also, per tarik over at the post.... Clark might be eyeing a return as soon as tomorrow

Good news there! I am defiantly looking forward to a healthy caps team next year with the return of Nylander, Clark, Pothier. Hopefuly the bring Anzler up to the big club for next season also.

Wouldn't hold your breath on Pothier. He may be forced into retirement. Zero progress made on his concussion in 2 months. The mood is pessimistic, from what I hear. (wait and see now that I've said that, he will be on the ice tomorrow!!!) :lol:

Weak start in Chicago...down 3, 10 min in to the game.

Now down 4 in the 1st..This could get ugly quick.

Jesus H Donkeyballs, this is bad. I'm glad I have beer tonight. They need to score on this PP before the end of the first and come out guns blazing.

They have won 4 in a row, but haven't won 5 in a row in 5 years.

God damn this could be horrible

Shots on goal after 1:

CHI- 18

WSH- 6

Washington scoring chances - 0

Chicago has simply outplayed them. The caps don't let them get outplayed a lot (since the coaching change), but when they do, it can be ugly.

Washington scoring chances - 0

Chicago has simply outplayed them. The caps don't let them get outplayed a lot (since the coaching change), but when they do, it can be ugly.

maybe the second period, the caps will play hockey? unlike the first? ;)