Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

Is it possible to measure the pitch angle of what the mako skates are? Im waiting until June to get the mako 2's, but was thinking about changing the pitch of my Bauers in the mean time to see if I like the pitch of the mako skate.

I dont wanna get them profiled since I know its kind of expensive, but I think shims might work for now.

Besides pitch, would the 9ft radius be really noticeable vs the 12ft on vapors?

Is it possible to measure the pitch angle of what the mako skates are? Im waiting until June to get the mako 2's, but was thinking about changing the pitch of my Bauers in the mean time to see if I like the pitch of the mako skate.

I dont wanna get them profiled since I know its kind of expensive, but I think shims might work for now.

Besides pitch, would the 9ft radius be really noticeable vs the 12ft on vapors?

3 degrees pitch total on the mako, Vapors do not have a 12, they are a 9' from factory. But yes, changing from a 12 to a 9 would be very noticable.

• Like 1

Before you purchase, ask if your LHS will profile them before you buy. Pretty sure they will.

When I bought them from my LHS they threw it in for free. Although I didn't straight up goto 0, I went to +1.

Marketing for a skate that won't hit the stores until June only makes it harder for retailers to move their current Mako skate inventory.

• Like 1

3 degrees pitch total on the mako, Vapors do not have a 12, they are a 9' from factory. But yes, changing from a 12 to a 9 would be very noticable.

So makos have a 3 degree pitch? Or do they have a 3 degree pitch higher than normal? and is normal 0?

And I thought vapors were a 12' vs 9' on makos? I thought I remember reading that when reading up on the makos? So really the only difference is the pitch then? Isnt there something else different that would force people to use a different sharpening when switching from vapors to makos?

Before you purchase, ask if your LHS will profile them before you buy. Pretty sure they will.

When I bought them from my LHS they threw it in for free. Although I didn't straight up goto 0, I went to +1.

Isn't it at least 100+ to get skates profiled? And what would the different be between getting skates profiled, and getting shims? Also - when you say see if theyll profile them for free - wouldnt you want to try the stock profile before switching things up?

I was thinking of just getting the pitch changed on my vapors, so I could see if I would like the different pitch of the makos - is that a good idea or no?

Lastly, when you have a more aggresive skate like the mako - would that mean more weight is on the back or front of the skate? Obviously it would result of having you bend over more and in a stance ready to accelerate, but wouldnt that mean youll be using your heels more too?

Edited by louierev07

So makos have a 3 degree pitch? Or do they have a 3 degree pitch higher than normal? and is normal 0?

And I thought vapors were a 12' vs 9' on makos? I thought I remember reading that when reading up on the makos? So really the only difference is the pitch then? Isnt there something else different that would force people to use a different sharpening when switching from vapors to makos?

Isn't it at least 100+ to get skates profiled? And what would the different be between getting skates profiled, and getting shims? Also - when you say see if theyll profile them for free - wouldnt you want to try the stock profile before switching things up?

I was thinking of just getting the pitch changed on my vapors, so I could see if I would like the different pitch of the makos - is that a good idea or no?

Lastly, when you have a more aggresive skate like the mako - would that mean more weight is on the back or front of the skate? Obviously it would result of having you bend over more and in a stance ready to accelerate, but wouldnt that mean youll be using your heels more too?

They have a 3degree pitch from neutral, so from 0. Most bauer skates come with 9' radius. LS3 steel comes with 10' radius. Yes, the difference is the pitch and it is a significant one. Skate profile prices depend on location but usually hover around $15-$25. Noicing ( a reputable mail in service) can have your skates back to you for around $31 with a profile, sharpening.

I would try stock first, yes. Try getting you steel pitched forward 3 degrees, it will make you lean over the toes of your skates. It's a bit harder on your knees since it forces you to bend your knees at all times. On turns it does feel like you are pushing off your heels more, yes. But that's just from my experience.

They have a 3degree pitch from neutral, so from 0. Most bauer skates come with 9' radius. LS3 steel comes with 10' radius. Yes, the difference is the pitch and it is a significant one. Skate profile prices depend on location but usually hover around $15-$25. Noicing ( a reputable mail in service) can have your skates back to you for around $31 with a profile, sharpening.

I would try stock first, yes. Try getting you steel pitched forward 3 degrees, it will make you lean over the toes of your skates. It's a bit harder on your knees since it forces you to bend your knees at all times. On turns it does feel like you are pushing off your heels more, yes. But that's just from my experience.

Ah, maybe thats what I remember hearing (about the LS3). And I remember hearing somewhere that it was over 100 bucks to get your skates profiled - not sure where I heard that either.

Since im not getting makos yet, should I try profiling my vapors to match the makos to get an idea of what they're going to feel like when I do buy them? If I end up not liking it, can I go back, or would that be too much cutting on one blade? Maybe Ill just buy another blade, and get that profiled, so if I dont like it I can swap back to my old steel.

And about the weight on the heels: I was asking because Ive been having trouble with my wheels wearing in the back faster than in the front (which ends up making the pitch negative) on my rollerblades. I want the pitch of my roller blades to match the pitch of my ice skates. Is this gonna fix the wearing problem or make it worse (if I add shims on my rollerblades to make them more aggressive)? If its gonna make it worse I can always use softer wheels in front when im using them on concrete (cant rotate to fix the problem because they are hi-lo).

If you're going to tinker with drastic pitch changes like that I would recommend that you do it with heel lifts rather than profiling.

Why one over the other? I have no knowledge about either, but wouldnt it be easier to just make changes to the blade, rather than alter parts to the boot? (and cheaper, since profiling is supposedly 15-25, and lifts cost around 30?)

Also by profiling, I can have 2 different blades, so if I really end up not liking it, I can just put my other blade in.

Whats the disadvantage to profiling (besides maybe making the blade weaker because its skinnier?

• Like 1

Why not just get the Makos (if they fit you), skate on their stock radius/steel. Then if you don't like the pitch, just have them profiled then and have some of the pitch removed with that profile. This way you don't have to dick around with lifts or reprofiling.

I wish I could get $100 for a profiling, I'd be rich!

• Like 1

Why not just get the Makos (if they fit you), skate on their stock radius/steel. Then if you don't like the pitch, just have them profiled then and have some of the pitch removed with that profile. This way you don't have to dick around with lifts or reprofiling.

I wish I could get $100 for a profiling, I'd be rich!

waiting for the mako 2 to come out. In the meantime, if I can get used to a higher pitch itll make transitioning easier once I finally do make the switch. I also want to get my rollerblades to match the pitch of my ice skates, because right now when I go back and forth between one and the other I have a lot of trouble. I know some of it is unavoidable because in general going back and forth is hard for people like me, but if I can at least get the pitch the same, it should make it easier.

waiting for the mako 2 to come out. In the meantime, if I can get used to a higher pitch itll make transitioning easier once I finally do make the switch. I also want to get my rollerblades to match the pitch of my ice skates, because right now when I go back and forth between one and the other I have a lot of trouble. I know some of it is unavoidable because in general going back and forth is hard for people like me, but if I can at least get the pitch the same, it should make it easier.

Send your blade in to jimmy and get the pitch done for your vapors. By time the mako 2 comes out you'll know if you like the pitch or not

• Like 1

I can probably post some pics. Not sure if I'm allowed to though prior to release. Can't see why not as catalogue pic is out there and they are being worn by pros. If JR could chime in and let me know I'll post a few.

Send your blade in to jimmy and get the pitch done for your vapors. By time the mako 2 comes out you'll know if you like the pitch or not

Just emailed Noicing to see if they could get my bauers to match the makos. Is Jimmy from Noicing or somewhere else?

And I think im just gonna have them send me new steel. This way Ill have my old blades to go back to if I dont like the pitch, and I dont have to be without my skates for however long it takes.

Simply putting an aggressive pitch on your Vapors is not going to mimic a Mako exactly, different boot cut, different fit, different holders. I think you'll be wasting your money getting steel for your vapors. Wait till the II's come out, and skate in them. It will only take 3-4 outings to determine if you like the pitch.

Impressive. The should increase their market share by going 'all black.'

lol it won't make any measureable difference in market share.