Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fletch

Biggest hockey pet peeve....

I'm surprised this one hasn't come up yet.

How about when people start skating on the ice before it has a chance to refreeze?  Let the ice sit for at least 5 minutes then it will be much better for the game.

Go on the ice right after the Zamboni doors are closed and you'll have ruts and slush for the entire game.

JJ

I have to agree with that. Since I'm a Stickhandler/finness player it's worst for me.

The way rinks pack in ice times and rush along games, you don't have the luxury to let the ice sit. Warm up clocks usually start as soon as the zamboni doors close.

The rinks don't care about how the ice sits, they care about thier money kovy. At my school during our team's practice, we'll normally let the ice sit a bit before going out.

yeah or skating and the puck just don't follow. C'mon 5 minutes is not the end of the word chippa.

Nothing to do with the end of the world. The 5 minutes is not a luxury afforded by the rink because 5 minutes for each sheet means they lose an hour of ice money by the end of the day. If they gave us the opportunity to let it sit, we would. But the legs needs to get warm and the goalie needs to see shots before the game. Can't waste the 3 minutes we get for that.

It's amazing the difference between ice that sits and ice that stays wet.

For the most part when I play league it's bad ice because guys don't let it sit, per my earlier comment.

I also have an early morning shinny group where we're the first on the ice after it has sat all night and it is sweet. The difference is night and day, I think many people don't realize that.

I would rather have my game 5 minutes shorter, but played on half-decent ice than the rutty, puddle filled, slush pit.

I'm also a smaller guy who relies on skating and puck control so maybe it affects me more, but I really notice it.

JJ

I hate it when someone checks you from behind then you say you'll get them back then when you do you slip a bit or something and you bounce off em!lol :P

when both teams are ready to play and the refs arent even ready

also when someone tells you to go to drop in and they end up coming up with an excuse for themselves to not come, because they cant hack it with the older kids

kids who buy the 'cool' equipment because they think they will become the next sidney with it and then end up going to shit

yeah or skating and the puck just don't follow. C'mon 5 minutes is not the end of the word chippa.

Nothing to do with the end of the world. The 5 minutes is not a luxury afforded by the rink because 5 minutes for each sheet means they lose an hour of ice money by the end of the day. If they gave us the opportunity to let it sit, we would. But the legs needs to get warm and the goalie needs to see shots before the game. Can't waste the 3 minutes we get for that.

When I ref, I won't let them start the clock until the ice is frozen.

Gotta love passing the puck and it goes 2 ft.

That's why I always use saucer passes. They're still saucer passes when they never come back down, right?

has anybody ever stickhandled and then gone for a pass and the puck isnt on the end of their blade and you miss it?lol it happend to me and i felt like such an idiot!

1. Biased refs

2. Players that think they are better than they are and never pass and get stoned.

Yeah panther that happened to me like 3 times in roller hockey and i was pretty embarresed after.

The rinks don't care about how the ice sits, they care about thier money kovy. At my school during our team's practice, we'll normally let the ice sit a bit before going out.

That's not true, I am the operations manager and I hate when people jump on the ice before it is frozen and then complain about the ice. I have been pushing for 15-20 min ice cuts so that we have better ice. Rinks in general need to take more pride in their ice and worry about providing the best ice possible

Good job. :)

Chippa, if they lose 1h but the rest of the week is full of rent, and another rink that wins 1h but the rest of the week is not full because some people find the ice to be awful and decide to rent at another place, who wins by the end. the first one right???

4. kids whose parents pay them if they score or get an assist

Holy shit, I almost forgot about that one, this is just ridiculous.

I would love to see all of those kids threatened with removal from USA Hockey(or Hockey Canada) sanctioned play for being professionals.

Alot of teams in our area have rules against this, obviously its more for younger guys, but it's usually a team rule.

Good job. :)

Chippa, if they lose 1h but the rest of the week is full of rent, and another rink that wins 1h but the rest of the week is not full because some people find the ice to be awful and decide to rent at another place, who wins by the end. the first one right???

You guys need to understand something. The rinks around me run full all the time. It is the rink guys who want stuff started on time and done on time. Once the zamboni doors are closed they want the clock started for warmups. Believe me, in the winter there is nothing we can do to stall. At least in the summer when the games are earlier and don't go as late we can wait a couple minutes but for the most part they hustle you on and hustle you off.

thats the kind of explanation i'm looking for and I understand why you think that now. Here, sometimes they are not full and some guys still get on the ice instead of letting the ice to sit a bit.

Has anyone mentioned opposing parents who try to fight players during and/or after games? I'll be damned if that didn't happen 2-3 times a year, every year in midgets for me.

That's pretty good, I asked a heckler once what number his son was, all of a sudden, it got really quiet in that section.

Most of mine have been mentioned, but one I personally get and see all the time, parents and coaches at levels like PeeWee In House screaming at the top of their lungs over a missed or mediocre call by the refs...refs are humans, shit happens, get over it, especially at the levels I see it in.