Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RadioGaGa

Oilers Retiring #7

http://www.nhl.com/news/2005/08/233220.html

Edmonton is retiring Paul Coffey's #7 on the night that Gretz makes his return to Edmonton as the Coyotes coach.

So, who should have his shirt hung *or is it hanged* from the rafters?

I think Patrick Roy has ended his fued with the Habs...if that is the case I'd say #33 should go up.

I think it'll be hard for the Habs to retire Roy's number because all the issues.

I don't really know many of the other teams, so I'll stick to the Leafs. I think it'd be nice to actually retire and not just "honour" some of the players. I believe they only have the 2 retired, the names escape me right now. I think its Apps and Barilko.

I think it'll be hard for the Habs to retire Roy's number because all the issues.

I don't really know many of the other teams, so I'll stick to the Leafs. I think it'd be nice to actually retire and not just "honour" some of the players. I believe they only have the 2 retired, the names escape me right now. I think its Apps and Barilko.

I kinda like the "honour" idea, especially when you have so many great stars. Think about it...if the Original Six actually retired all the jerseys that deserved it...where would the current roster numbers have to start?

Having said that, Ted "Teeder" Kennedy should be retired.

I kinda like the "honour" idea, especially when you have so many great stars. Think about it...if the Original Six actually retired all the jerseys that deserved it...where would the current roster numbers have to start?

Having said that, Ted "Teeder" Kennedy should be retired.

I agree about not retiring the numbers as well. It's a cool way to link the current players to past greats. It also makes for nice stories like Roberts asking Lanny if it was ok with him to wear #7.

Savard and Cheli in Chicago.

Savard, yes; Cheli, no. Remember Bill (Tightwad) Wirtz still owns the Hawks. He feuded with Bobby Hull for a zillion years before realizing how much the fans loved the Golden Jet. I see Cheli as a bit of a hockey nomad. He has played very well at his stops along the way but never a friend of management.

My favorite Cheli memory is a Sunday night in Winston Churchill's in Montreal. The bar is packed with Habs- Shane Corson, Mike Keane, Petr Svoboda, Eric Desjardins, and others. The boys have the bar lined up with adult beverages 3,4,5 deep. In walks Cheli with a bag of McD's. The guys try to grab it from him and he just takes that big paw of his and gives each guy a huge face wash with his mitt. Keaner turns around from his bar stool and says "Oh, Cheli, you're my hero!!" with all the sarcasm he has. Desjardins was a rookie and I asked him what time was practice on Monday. He said 1 pm, I said good because you guys would be too messed up to skate in the morning. BTW, Pat Burns was the coach at the time. Burns didn't take any bs from anybody. Never did, never will. I wish him well in his fight with the big C.

Cheli won't happen but if he came back to end his career it could. He's a hometown guy and the fans in Chicago loved him. That was back when they actually had fans.

If Pele Lindburgh's number is not already up in Philly it should be. Great goalie, great future tragic ending.

I agree on Pelle Lindbergh, also add Rick Tocchet's #22 to the list. Potential hall of famer who came to play every night.

I believe it is Ace Bailey And Bill Barilko who are retired, not Apps. I'm also pretty sure that the only reason they didnt retire numbers but "honoured" them is because there were two players who were honoured for each.

27- Big M, Sittler

7- Tim Horton, King Clancy

1- Bower, Broda

9- Charlie Conacher, Ted Kennedy

10- George Armstrong, Syl Apps

There are so many other names to add. Like Hap Day, Howie Meeker, Carl Brewer, Dave Keon(Can't beleive they haven't retired or honoured 14 yet), Red Kelly, Eddie Shack, Norm Ullman, Lanny McDonald, Rick Vaive, Borje Salming, Wendel Clark, Dougy Gilmour, Sundin, and Domi

That's just leafs, so if they retired all those guys, you'd have to have so # room left, so that's another good reason for honouring numbers, especially teams the go way back. If Montreal had retired every great player's number, then guys would be wearing numbers in the hundreds. ;)

I believe it is Ace Bailey And Bill Barilko who are retired, not Apps. I'm also pretty sure that the only reason they didnt retire numbers but "honoured" them is because there were two players who were honoured for each.

27- Big M, Sittler

1- Bower, Broda

There are so many other names to add. Like Hap Day, Howie Meeker, Carl Brewer, Dave Keon(Can't beleive they haven't retired or honoured 14 yet), Red Kelly, Eddie Shack, Norm Ullman, Lanny McDonald, Rick Vaive, Borje Salming, Wendel Clark, Dougy Gilmour, Sundin, and Domi

That's just leafs, so if they retired all those guys, you'd have to have so # room left, so that's another good reason for honouring numbers, especially teams the go way back. If Montreal had retired every great player's number, then guys would be wearing numbers in the hundreds. ;)

Sundin I can see being retired (or honoured) one day by the Leafs...but DOMI????wtf?

Are they all numbers that were only ever worn by one person, or do they have some that were worn more than once, but are now out of circulation?

Are they all numbers that were only ever worn by one person, or do they have some that were worn more than once, but are now out of circulation?

The numbers are "retired", but people can still use them. Nobody's ever going to be an 8, 7, 5, 4, or 3 again, but some numbers can still be in use. IE, they retired Jackie Robinson's #42 but Mariano Rivera wears the same number.

27- Big M, Sittler

1- Bower, Broda

Sundin I can see being retired (or honoured) one day by the Leafs...but DOMI????wtf?

Ya I agree with everything but Domi. Just cause the guys played there for a long time doesnt mean anything.

The numbers are "retired", but people can still use them. Nobody's ever going to be an 8, 7, 5, 4, or 3 again, but some numbers can still be in use. IE, they retired Jackie Robinson's #42 but Mariano Rivera wears the same number.

Jackie Robinson played for the Brooklyn Dodgers, not the Yankees. A few years ago, Major League Baseball officially retired #42 from all teams to honor Jackie Robinson. Mariano Rivera had already been wearing #42 when this was done so he was able to keep his number 42.