Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mikael21

What do you do when you play bad?

Hi

Last season was one of the best seasons in my life. I played alot of games and I played well, sometimes ive scored and you know, after the game I feelt: Today, I made a really good game. When I was on the ice, It feelt like Im was in the right posisition evertime and I wound my teammates on the ice.

But this season I play soo bad. Last game it feelt like I dont even touch the puck. I work hard but nothing happens on the ice.. What should I do? Anyone? What do you do when you play bad? Need help!

Just think about specific plays where you felt you didn't make the right play and think about what you should have done. Then, move on to the things you felt you did right and focus on those. You'll find you can improve by thinking through these things and visualizing yourself making the right play in situations.

Outside of that, just keep hustling and the legs churning and things should turn around.

ive had this problem, just when you make a mistake think about what you need to to correct it, ive found this actually works pritty well. i still over think after i play a bad game and get down on myself.

I haven't been playing too well lately and it's partly due to being in the shop so many hours a week. Better to be able to feed myself than feed the net I guess.

Alright thank you guys..Other ideas?

I think part of the answer depends on what you consider playing badly.

If "not scoring" is playing badly, then you need to realize there are many things you can do to help your team win: strong defense, pass the puck, hustle to backcheck, screen the goalie.

Thus, concentrate on doing the non-glamorous chores -- you'll know that you played well.

Hockey is a very mental game. There is so much going on, that if your mind is in the wrong place, it does not gel together.

Saul Millers book is good. There are some web sites. Like this one:

http://www.focusedtraining.com/articles.html

Basically, you have to be able to focus your mind to be "in the zone". Lets say you are psyched up, go out there, and screw up something and get scored on. You go back to the bench and say to yourself "don't let that forward score on me again". But what your mind is hearing is something more like "let that forward score". Sure enough, you go out there and screw up again. It is more obvious in golfing, where you come up to a water hazzard and say to yourself "don't shoot into the water". Where does the golf ball go? If you have not mastered your mind, it goes keplunk! That is because your subconcious hears "shoot into the water" and obeys!

So basically you need to be able to refocus your mind, stop talking to yourself on the bench or on the ice, and just do the hockey! One way, if you just had a bad shift or took a bad hit is to sit on the bench and focus on breathing deeply. Don't worry about anything else but going through the ritual of breathing. Then jump out there for your next shift and just play. Don't think it, do it.

Another technique that helps some is visualization. When you are lying in bed the day before the game, visualize yourself out on the ice wheeling and dealing. Visualize yourself making all the right moves and being victorious. What you are doing is forming the neural pathways so that when you do physically get out onto the ice, it will happen pretty much the way you visualized it.

The final thing is rituals. Look at Tiger Woods. He has to walk up to a golf tee, ignore the thousands of people watching him and snapping pictures, and make a perfect drive every time. How does he do it? 1) Lots of practice so he can do it without even thinking about it and 2) He does the same little ritual of practice swings every time to get himself into the zone and shut out all the distractions. If your mind is wandering on faceoffs, for instance, try making up some sort of ritual and do it every time, and see if that helps.

you keep thinking and expecting you will make that pass or shot... Sort of like a a baseball player expects to get a hit everytime at the plate. That mentality gets you through.

It covers tons of stuff but mainly centers on the mental aspect of the game versus the typical "skating and shooting" content. There's even homework exercises which you can do. One excellent chapter is how to overcome an injury (psychologically).

I really need to go reread this book because I also have some serious hockey-related issues that I need to deal with, that have been negatively impacting my game and causing the fire to burn out.

I am going to have to get that. Since my ice return, I have been inconsistant and it is killing me. When I have a bad game, I am really pissed as I drive home, etc and perhaps that book will help.

If inconsistency is your problem, then your problems are probably much more mental and what you're doing away from the game than what you're doing on the ice. Inconsistency usually comes from a lack of focus and concentration. If your head isn't in the game, you can't expect your body to be. It can also come from an ever-changing day to day routine. Those who play the best usually have a very set routine as far as when and how much they sleep, good and stable eating habits, and an ability to focus on the task at hand, not letting outside concerns enter their minds during a game. They usually aren't the ones racing into the lockerroom at the last minute but are there with enough time to dress without rushing and get their warmups in.

I usually just go on an alcohol binge and make some bad decisions.

On a more serious note, I find that when I start "thinking" I play much worse. Just need to have confidence in your game and go with it. Everything will fall into place.

I usually just go on an alcohol binge and make some bad decisions.

On a more serious note, I find that when I start "thinking" I play much worse. Just need to have confidence in your game and go with it. Everything will fall into place.

You don't want to be thinking on the ice, that should be all action and reaction. That is why you need to think off the ice, so that when you get in the situations on the ice you automatically react.

Man guys....

I feel like my game has declined drastically during the past 3 weeks. I don't get it, but my confidence is about shot. I was making great strides during the last few months and finally seeing the ice well and making some really nice passing plays (Which is more of my game). Lately the action seems to be going faster and I cannot see the ice as well. A lot of my passes are being intercepted and its killing me. I just don't know...I try to start each new shift from scratch, but that doesn't seem to help.

Simplify your game. You're probably trying to force passes that really aren't there.

I was making great strides during the last few months and finally seeing the ice well and making some really nice passing plays (Which is more of my game). Lately the action seems to be going faster and I cannot see the ice as well. A lot of my passes are being intercepted and its killing me.

Theo, you're playing pickups mostly, correct?

If so, the "regulars" presumably know you like to pass. I find I get picked off more in pickup, and I think it's because guys know I'll make a pass before I'll shoot. However, in a lot of those instances, I would take the shot during a game.

A couple things..

I leave the game in the car once I get home, and take the dog out for a quick run at night to clear the head,

on the ride home though I try to figure out what happened..mon night our entire team was a bit flat..we had a sub goalie who was brutal..(made a couple errors trying to turn the 6-4-3 double play bad...) and we lost...although we came back to within 1-2 goals late in the game..

if I decide I was trying to do too much..I start off playing making just sound choices the next game..and build from there..

Was I not doing enough?? I like to pass...but sometimes I have to remember that its ok to just rip it

Did I just suck? Have a beer..put it behind me..figure it won't happen back to back..