Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rossb

I need some advice.

Hey im 16 and from Ireland, i have been playin competitive hockey in the Scottish league for the under 19's. In two years time i would like to have the possiblitity of coming to Canada for university as i love the country and the way of living etc, especially hockey. i would love to play hockey here, though i would not be good enough for 1st division college hockey lol, so mab second or third division. can any one give me some good universities/ colleges around canada with hockey teams that would be posible to get into to, i would prefer the Ontario area. please reply, cheers :huh:

You don't have to limit yourself to those areas of the states. I play with a guy now who played at Arizona State. Division III and Club teams are popping up at colleges and universities all over the US.

It's also a little pretentious to want to pigeonhole where you want to play. And I'll agree about club teams becoming a lot bigger, so that's always one avenue to check out.

I think there's only one university league in Canada, the CIS (Canadian Interuniversity Sports). I don't think there are any lower divisons.

Here's a list of the Top 10 schools as of today in hockey.

1. Alberta (1)

2. Saskatchewan (2)

3. StFX (3)

4. Saint Mary's (NR)

5. Calgary (7)

6. UQTR (8)

7. St. Thomas (NR)

8. McGill (NR)

9. UNB (6)

10. Western Ontario (10)

I'll agree with the general consensus so far. Don't limit yourself to where you'll go, espeically if you are willing to leave Ireland anyway. Being from Ontario, I can tell you that the Canadian collegiate system doesn't offer the best experience for hockey players, or student athletes in general.

However, if you do have your heart set on somewhere in Ontario, you might want to look into some smaller schools, as the pool of talent that they draw from is proportionate to the size of their student body. Examples might be Brock University, Wilfrid Laurier University (my own alma mater - just don't ask me about the educational experience there), or the University of Windsor.

Despite not being able to play D1, look into colleges in the states that are maybe D2 or D3. Above all, it is obvious that you are not expecting to play pro hockey, so go with the school that offers you the best scholarship, if any, and more importantly, the best education.

Good luck!

EDIT: Rossb, in the list above, the only school in Ontario is Western (10). Alberta has the best hockey program, and has been perenially dominant for as long as I can remember.

You'd be limiting yourself greatly by only looking at colleges in Canada, especially since you're investing so much in crossing the Atlantic to give yourself an education. I will say that Canadian colleges are underrated, and some are a very good academic avenue. However, since you'd be here on a student visa from a "nonthreatening" country, you'd be a fool not to consider the U.S. just based on sheer numbers. There is a fit for everyone.

You also need to pick a school if hockey was not in the equation. All things aside, will you be happy there if you don't play hockey, or are only playing intramural? Is it the right school academically? Do you like the campus? How do the girls look? (kidding, but only partly) There's always a chance that you might pick a school and not be capable of playing for their team. I've seen tons of kids choose to go to lower tier DI or DIII schools just to say they played NCAA hockey, and either:

a) Not make the team

B) Not dress a single game because they're in over their head and get cut the next year

So if hockey is important, you need to make sure the school offers you a backup plan if you don't make the team, club or intramural. As someone said before, club hockey is a very viable fix, and in some cases club teams are treated and get exposure like varsity teams at their respective schools, just at a different skill level. Playing at a big southern or west coast school like Arizona or Georgia and being a stud without actually having to be that good at hockey, and bagging a great degree doesn't sound like such a bad deal at all.

Having gone to Canada a few times in the past couple of years now, there's no doubt that the "way of life" is different from America. I would suggest you choose a college in an area that fits your personality, unless you're set on playing hockey, in which case you might not have as many options.

Keeping in mind everything that everyone else has mentioned:

If you are interested in going to College or Technical School, the Alberta Colleges Athletic Conference is the league you want to play in if you want to play in the best College league in Canada.

The ACAC is probably the reason that there are no more National Collegiate Hockey Championships in Canada any more. Schools from Ontario and Quebec were getting tired of paying the high cost of travel, board and accomodation for their teams only to end up being badly beaten by the winners of the ACAC Championship.

The top two teams in the ACAC are the Southern Alberta Institute of Technology and Mount Royal College. Both are located in Calgary, Alberta.

The ACAC web page can be found here.

CIS is made up of players from the CHL, it is mostly older guys than NCAA, but the hockey is just as good.

the NCAA D1 teams almost always beat the CIS teams when they play in exibition.

Keeping in mind everything that everyone else has mentioned:

If you are interested in going to College or Technical School, the Alberta Colleges Athletic Conference is the league you want to play in if you want to play in the best College league in Canada.

The ACAC is probably the reason that there are no more National Collegiate Hockey Championships in Canada any more. Schools from Ontario and Quebec were getting tired of paying the high cost of travel, board and accomodation for their teams only to end up being badly beaten by the winners of the ACAC Championship.

The top two teams in the ACAC are the Southern Alberta Institute of Technology and Mount Royal College. Both are located in Calgary, Alberta.

The ACAC web page can be found here.

Reaper, are you going to SAIT or something? I'm doing Civ Eng Tech at nait and transfering into U of A through a bridge program in two years. I've skated with some of the ooks guys, there's a lot of good players on the team this year. Some of the female ooks players were out during the pick up session, and they couldn't even hang with a bunch of half assed pick up players, it's kinda sad.

I actually think that the American way of life is more like the Irish way of life, the reason because of theres so MUCH irish blood in American than Canda. Ive been to Ireland and i live in america.

BU or BC are amazing colleges for a acidemics and hockey.(IMO)

Langs,BU and BC are very hard colleges to get into.BC is almost impossible to get into if your grade point average is lower than a 4.0

You don't have to limit yourself to those areas of the states. I play with a guy now who played at Arizona State. Division III and Club teams are popping up at colleges and universities all over the US.

Hey Chippa- you live in Dallas?

Langs,BU and BC are very hard colleges to get into.BC is almost impossible to get into if your grade point average is lower than a 4.0

And BC and BU are elite hockey programs - you gotta be good to play at BC and BU.

Hey im 16 and from Ireland, i have been playin competitive hockey in the Scottish league for the under 19's. In two years time i would like to have the possiblitity of coming to Canada for university as i love the country and the way of living etc, especially hockey. i would love to play hockey here, though i would not be good enough for 1st division college hockey lol, so mab second or third division. can any one give me some good universities/ colleges around canada with hockey teams that would be posible to get into to, i would prefer the Ontario area. please reply, cheers :huh:

Look, chances are you will never make a living playing hockey. Teaching hockey maybe, but its not a great living from what I hear.

I'm partial to the Univ. of Michigan for any number of reasons, so I would point you there. If you make their team, you'll be among the elites. If not, they got a club team.

But at the end of the day you have to ask yourself: "How will I feed myself between ice sessions? What can I DO that people will pay me for?" It might have nothing to do with hockey.

I manage programmers for 75K a year.

But it pays for ice.

And, God help me, I love ice.

Hey im 16 and from Ireland, i have been playin competitive hockey in the Scottish league for the under 19's. In two years time i would like to have the possiblitity of coming to Canada for university as i love the country and the way of living etc, especially hockey. i would love to play hockey here, though i would not be good enough for 1st division college hockey lol, so mab second or third division. can any one give me some good universities/ colleges around canada with hockey teams that would be posible to get into to, i would prefer the Ontario area. please reply, cheers  :huh:

Look, chances are you will never make a living playing hockey. Teaching hockey maybe, but its not a great living from what I hear.

I'm partial to the Univ. of Michigan for any number of reasons, so I would point you there. If you make their team, you'll be among the elites. If not, they got a club team.

But at the end of the day you have to ask yourself: "How will I feed myself between ice sessions? What can I DO that people will pay me for?" It might have nothing to do with hockey.

I manage programmers for 75K a year.

But it pays for ice.

And, God help me, I love ice.

He's already admitted that he's not good enough for D1, so I don't think he expects to be paid to play hockey, unlike some other delusional members of this board who don't seem to live in the real world...

Hey 75K is very respectable.

I have a lot of friends at BU, it's not that tough to get into. Some got in there with 3.3s and average SAT scores. BC though, is damn near impossible. The only guy I know at BC is on a football boat.

hey, guys, i am expecting to play pro hockey here in Britain as there are about 5 leagues of pro and semi pro in england and scotland, and many of my mates, a few years older are playing for the SNL of scotland.

it is possible, was just wondering though as it would be good to play hockey whilst getting educated. the only reason i said i woudnt be good enough for division 1 is that i know many of them guys go onto the NHL, but from what i heard there are lots of smaller leagues throughout North America, am i right?

the Belfast giants signed a scottish player today, drafted for the philly flyers in 2000, he played NCAA hockey, so im just not sure as the school system is different. to read more on the signing- Colin Shields- check out www.belfastgiants.com

i just want more advice rather than people telling me what i can or cant do, lik who to contac etc or people in a similar situation.

hey, guys, i am expecting to play pro hockey here in Britain as there are about 5 leagues of pro and semi pro in england and scotland, and many of my mates, a few years older are playing for the SNL of scotland.

it is possible, was just wondering though as it would be good to play hockey whilst getting educated. the only reason i said i woudnt be good enough for division 1 is that i know many of them guys go onto the NHL, but from what i heard there are lots of smaller leagues throughout North America, am i right?

the Belfast giants signed a scottish player today, drafted for the philly flyers in 2000, he played NCAA hockey, so im just not sure as the school system is different. to read more on the signing- Colin Shields- check out www.belfastgiants.com

i just want more advice rather than people telling me what i can or cant do, lik who to contac etc or people in a similar situation.

Find a contact and get in touch with a non-major junior team. Colin Shields spent 2 years in the NAHL before going to Maine. The USHL, NAHL, EJHL and all of the Canadian Tier II junior leagues produce most of Division I's talent, and most of the better DIII players.

It will be tough to play at a college over here coming straight from Scotland. Your best bet is to look up some junior exposure camps or tryouts in the spring and hope you catch someone's eye. Then play a year of junior and if you've got the stuff, you'll play somewhere. Most schools aren't going to take a chance recruiting a player from over there. This won't be easy, but it's really the only shot.

right ok, could someone please explain to me all this major-junior stuff.

over here its under 12's 14's 16's 19's, seniors, pro and recci. so what is AAA? i just need more of an insight coz there seems to be so many categories!!! lol. these club teams people were talking about any contacts? if it involves not goin to university or college then i dont mind. i just wanna play hockey if ya get me. any one have contacts or teams tha would take guys from here? some team mates of mine im sure would join me.

right ok, could someone please explain to me all this major-junior stuff.

over here its under 12's 14's 16's 19's, seniors, pro and recci. so what is AAA? i just need more of an insight coz there seems to be so many categories!!! lol. these club teams people were talking about any contacts? if it involves not goin to university or college then i dont mind. i just wanna play hockey if ya get me. any one have contacts or teams tha would take guys from here? some team mates of mine im sure would join me.

you could try usahockey.com

And BC and BU are elite hockey programs - you gotta be good to play at BC and BU.

I have many family memeber who went to BU,BC and cornell. I know what its all about.(semi)