Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Quintin

First fight

The first time I actually dropped the mitts was at Jr. A camp. I got absolutely tuned (I think I landed one shot...he REALLY landed about 5-6; and opened my cheekbone a bit), but - in fairness to myself - I'm more of a finesse player, so the only reason I fought was to prove that I was willing to square-off (and able to shake-off a good ass-kicking).

1st fight was as a result of a bench-fan-rink clearing brawl. Directly after the end of our 1st rd playoff win, one of our knuckle head teammates makes a racial remark to the opposing players and a fights starts in the corner while a couple of us were celebrating (dumb dumb but also he was of the same ethnicity as the opposing players). Within split second, their bench clears and shockingly, bystanders who watched our game also jumped onto the rink to get at our players. It was actually a very dangerous incident due to the fact it was basically 2 or 3 versus 1 of our players til the league staff jumped in to break things up. I lucked out as one of their players went right at me and while we joisting, he falls on top trying to ground and pound my ass but his momentum shifted and my punch at his jaw actually hit him in the throat.. basically ending the fight (I got a cut lip due to our collision while he took a bit to recover and we actually shock hands later !!). During this scuffle, one of my teammates tried to help out and a fan swung my freakin stick at his head, just missing.. Cops were called in and reports were filed.. Brawl cost us 4 players and we lost in OT in the semi-finals.

Best of all, we had all of it on video which is why I remember it so well..

Overall, not proud of it but been in only a handful of hockey fights including one w/ a ex-pro (who I will not name)..

Hockey39

doesnt really count as a fight, although I was kinda hoping it would go to it. Playing a scrimmage game against our most hated opponents, non-contact hockey. Basically the puck was in the corner, me and this pug-faced guy both went in hard for the puck. He was faster, so he got there first. I tried to stop, but the momentum took me into him a little bit. He lost the puck, I somehow got it and roofed it top shelf. My teamates were telling me to watch out as ol' pug face actually took a swipe at my helmet with his stick as I was going by (and missed). couple of minutes later, puck was in the corner again. I won the race this time and knew he was gonna try something. He checked me hard thru the gap in the boards. I got up, dusted myself off and told him 'good check, you're damn good'. Next thing I know, he's off the court, taking his gear off. I skate past and started ragging him to get back on.... he went home. Pussy.

Other fight I sorta got into was in the army when we were learning boxing, so i guess you can consider it rigged. Both of us were buddies so we were screwing around. Got f-ed by the training instructor, and when we resumed, a full blown brawl broke out. I faked a jab and nailed my buddy with a really solid left hook... mouthguard flew out, bloody mouth and gums. He did get a few good ones in though. End of the fight, touch gloves and broke out laughing...

I've been in 2 real fights. First one was in a exhibtion game this year. we where playing a team thats new to the league and we were up like 11-1 so we all knew it was going to get chipy and the first game we played these guys there was 4 or 5 fights. I was on the ice for the last shift and i hit there captain clean hit then one of there guys came and greased me i let it fly and just went to the net the goalie made the save and covered up and one guy got in my face i shoved him off and went to skate away when i see this guy flying me. of course this tough guy has a birdcage on but i didnt care by the time he got in my face i had dropped the gloves already. At first i had some trouble getting his lid off but when i did get it off i brought his jersey over his head too then i just started feeding him. landed some good shots.

overall was happy with my first fight but the other guy didnt land any punches on me so i still had never been punched in the face till the second time i fought.

Being a non-white kid and a runt in an all white neighborhood I fought a lot growing up. Lost more than I won. Even got knocked out once when a kid blindsided me from behind square on the chin. Maybe I must have got it out of me then because I've never dropped the mitts in hockey. Although, I've been in my share of "altercations" sticking up for myself and teammates because that's what you have to do. I'd actually prefer fighting to be allowed in the leagues I've played. Might cut down on the cheap shots.

As a kid I was never afraid to fight because getting beat up isn't really that bad. Unless you're on the ground getting kicked in the gut and back or something. Most punches to the head don't even hurt until after the fact. Even one to the nose that makes your eyes water doesn't really hurt until later. For real fights outside of hockey I suggest going body or a kick to the knee. You can't fight if you can't breath or stand up with good balance. Most non-hockey fights end up on the ground anyway which is where I was always at a disadvantage being a small guy.

The first fight I was in was a drill. I was 12 years old and away at Cooper Hockey Camp. We did the whole 1-2 count and the 1's got into one line and the 2's got into another. The guy that ran the camp was Ray Haywood, an old military guy. He still haunts me in my sleep. He went through the technical way to fight and had us one by one go at it. When I got closer to the front of the line some guy in front of me skated out of line and back two spots. When it came to my turn, I was paired against a 15 year old, 6' 180 pound chinese kid. I'll never forget him. Haywood blew the whistle and this guy came at me full tilt screaming. I got pummelled. My equipment was all over the ice and I was getting up to get it when Haywood grabbed me and started yelling at me. "What the F's your problem! Get a F'in punch in at least! What the F did I tell you to do if you were smaller!" I said, look at him he's twice my size! I was 5 feet tall and about 90 pounds, if that. He took me aside and said, "listen, this craps gonna happen to you, there will always be a bigger fish. When he comes at you the next time hit 'em low, go for his stomach. OK? Now when I blow the whistle, go at him, knock that big chink on his ass". He lined us up again and blew the whistle. I skated as fast as I can at this guy as he was coming at me screaming again. I forgot to drop my gloves because I was so scared, closed my eyes and punched him as hard as I could. Caught him right in the stomach. I knocked the wind out of him. He went to his knees gasping for breath and Haywood screams "Now go get him!" As the guy was bent over trying to catch his breath I pulled his shirt over his head and got about two punches in. Haywood blew the whistle and we separated. I still have nightmares about that place.

My first non-helmet slap fest was last year at a tourny in London, Ontario. We were playing at the Fairgrounds in the House League tournament, and my team was clearly dominant. So some clown from the other team (I believe they were a Markham team) runs my goalie. This sets off a bunch of scuffs between other players, and this little rat tries to sneak away from it, so I go over to meet him. We take the helmets off, drop the gloves and go. He lands one good one on me (split my lip open) before I came back with a rather powerful right. Landed it flush on his nose, and he drops to his knees. I just started feeding him uppercuts as he tried to turtle until the refs finally came to our pairing to break it up. Thinking back on it, I've never been so tired after that. My right arm felt dead from throwing the uppercuts.

When all was said and done, I had a 3 game suspension, 1 for fighting and 2 for 3rd fight same stoppage, but somehow through it all we ended up on a 5 on 3 PP. We ended up winning the tournament too so that made it somewhat worth it.

Did you make the team?

Ha nope. But it wasn't becuase of the incident. I had 20+ more skates with them before they cut me. I've also played 6 or 7 games with them in the season to so I guess it didn't effect the coaches decesion.

I'm playing D and the winger from the other team tries to skate out in front of the net from behind. I cut him off & stop him in his tracks with a shoulder to the middle of the chest. As he picks himself up I've turned away from him to face the play & look for someone else to cover.

He comes at me from behind, puts his stick between my legs & lays a forearm shiver across my back & starts yelling. I throw off my helmet & gloves as I get up, my team grabs me, the refs grab him & that's it. He goes to the box for roughing & life goes on.

We're teammates now. :lol:

Weak. I know.

1st fight was as a result of a bench-fan-rink clearing brawl. Directly after the end of our 1st rd playoff win, one of our knuckle head teammates makes a racial remark to the opposing players and a fights starts in the corner while a couple of us were celebrating (dumb dumb but also he was of the same ethnicity as the opposing players). Within split second, their bench clears and shockingly, bystanders who watched our game also jumped onto the rink to get at our players. It was actually a very dangerous incident due to the fact it was basically 2 or 3 versus 1 of our players til the league staff jumped in to break things up. I lucked out as one of their players went right at me and while we joisting, he falls on top trying to ground and pound my ass but his momentum shifted and my punch at his jaw actually hit him in the throat.. basically ending the fight (I got a cut lip due to our collision while he took a bit to recover and we actually shock hands later !!). During this scuffle, one of my teammates tried to help out and a fan swung my freakin stick at his head, just missing.. Cops were called in and reports were filed.. Brawl cost us 4 players and we lost in OT in the semi-finals.

Overall, not proud of it but been in only a handful of hockey fights including one w/ a ex-pro (who I will not name)..

Hockey39

You should post the video

Jr. B tryout (didnt play for them, wanted to go against some better players than I was used to) me and this guy got lined up for a faceoff in the last scrimmage of the 1st day. There weren't any fights that day and we were saying how lame it was that one hadn't happened yet, so decided to let 'em fly. After we got done beating the shit out of each other we were comparing black eyes the next day. I was, however, stoaked that he had a bigger blackie than I did.

We're teammates now. :lol:

Weak. I know.

Almost every player I've tussled with ended up a teammate. Some the next season. It's created some awkward moments in the locker room on the first game. I thought I was going to have to drop 'em in the locker with a guy before we even played our first game of the season!

I have always been a small guy at 20 years old I'm 5'10" 155 lbs. Back when I was about 15 and a few inches shorter we were playing at a rink where everyone knew who everyone was just a house league. This house league bread some of the scummiest dirtiest players ever always hacking at you, back of the legs cross checks the whole nine yards. So this kid kept hacking at me the whole game trying to get under my skin. I'm not one to put my team in a spot that would hurt them in anyway. So I put up with it for most of the game telling the kid to knock it off hit him back a little. Finally I turn to the kid in the 3rd and say "cut this sh*t out or I swear I will beat the piss out of you" and he said "do you want to go" so me being the smart ass I am i said "yea" and the look in his face was like ha this little thing wants to fight he was about 6'0" 200lbs. Mitts went and we were all caged up so me not being an idiot when we locked arms I went for his jersey at the neck area and locked my fingers in his cage. Unsnapped his helmet got it off threw a number of rights at least 5 he finally grabbed my right hand and then I came across with the left and he went straight down. For the rest of the season I was known as the "don't f*ck with that kid he beat the sh*t out of steve" kid. It was my first "real" hockey fight. I don't count the ones in the street.

HAHa, the combined record of the board is 200 wins and like 5 losses...

I maybe had 3 fights in my life (on the Ice)... and lost them all and they were all pointless. Unless your getting paid to fight, I can't see the point anymore.

remember - right now - in places all over the world, people are fighting, and the loser - they die.

Just makes me feel like all this tough guys policeing yoursleves - blah blah blah - is foolish

Mine came in my 2nd to last junior hockey game. It was almost to the end of the 2nd period and we were playing dallas and this kid cheap shotted my teammate and so I get in his face we dropped and I landed a couple good ones and threw him down. His collarbone hit the ice first and broke it.

my 2nd fight came in the almost tot he end of the season of my college season last year and again I stood up for my teammate who was 2 handed across the arm. I hit the kid and we fought kinda not as big but a couple punches were thrown and we fell and kept trying to swing on the ice. We both were kicked out and 1 game suspension.

Second year Atom a guy sucker punched me so i turned around and upper cut him. For some reason his cage straps werent done up properly and I broke his nose.

I was playing Junior C cause I coudlnt' play high school for half a year and I was standing in front of the net, kind of gave a guy a shot and he lost it on me..I tried to wrestle and didn't get my gloves off, but I got tuned. This year I'm playing in the league full time and some guy gave the goalie a shove so I shoved him... so it was a shoving match than the gloves came off. Two root canals later and well, I'm still proud haha.

Edit, posted twice it seems.

Hockey39

You should post the video

Have to get it from my ol' teammate.. the original VHS tape.. yes, the fight was a lo..ng time ago (when Gretzky was a King..lol). I did see someone comment on how it looked like the majority of the posters won their 1st fights which is unlikely but hope no one on this board ever takes fighting too seriously unless it's to pays their bills..

Hockey39

first fight was last year. I got hit from behind slamed head first into the baords. i was ok with that and was gonna let the kid get thrown for it, so i got up and the asshole did it again. At that point i was incredibly pissed off. Got up grabbed the kid and proceded to fight him. While i was fioghting this kid a guy came into help him and my linemate stopped him before he got to me which started a line brawl. My whole forward line was tossed and suspended. But we all won our fights.

The helmet usually comes off fast enough, or at least you've got to make an effort to get the other guys off, if you want any decent shots in. I was playing with a bad arm and a guy just drops his gloves and starts punching me in the face, in high school, I was wearing a cage. He stopped after a few punches.