Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DLIGHTNING

Coolest Rink you have played in ?

Is the Ice on European rinks better than North American Rinks ?

I'm not sure, i have never been to North America. I think European rinks are bigger tho. Correct me if i'm wrong. :rolleyes:

Yeah , Euro rinks a are wider , Where are you from ? Great to hear from europeans on these boards.

DLIGHTNING i am from the Uk. But i really like playing hockey in Europe. Now that i have been to czech republic i want to go to other places like russia, Ukraine and Slovakia. Love there attitude towards hockey! "Play hard, Work hard or piss off!" Simple as!

Where you from DLIGHTNING?

im from glasgow scotland :P

Deathmoves-- in canada the ice is alot harder! the first few times i was on it i felt it weird. but there definetely better ice- the rinks in canada i have skated at were the memorial arena-lake okanagan penticton (and the other one there cant mind the name)

and the Wasaga stars arena- that place was a major shithole! although all oer the arena it has 'THE HOME OF JASON ARNOTT' and they have a wall dedicated to him which is pretty cool, containing the stanley cup jersey which he scored the winner and his game sheets when he was a kid.

Deathmoves- the european rinks i have been to are:-

Den hagg(holland)- wow! this place had a man made ski slope(the biggest in europe) and a speed skating rink and a climbing wall and the europeans fastest go karts!

partille (sweden)-- this place was super cool- was old time hockey- the unior hockey club owned the rink which was neat, they got free kit and they kept their kit in a storage room in baskets.

Eishall(germany)- this place was great the ceiling was glass! it was really really bright though.

the best uk rink i have skated on is the Centrum- Ayr this place was huge had two zambonis had a delicious had the locker room like the nhlers(with your own little bit to hang your kit)

the worst uk rink is definately kilmarnock- its smaller than half the size of a typical north american pad, the goals were 2/3 of the size they shoulda been.

if anyone has skated in any of these rinks pleasepost up or Pm me

thanks

One of the coolest rinks I have played at is Yost arena. It's great to watch a game there, and its also a pretty nice to skate at, too. I wonder what its like to skate there with all the fans going crazy.

Maple leaf Gardens before they moved. The locker rooms filled up quickly so they let me and another guy change in the official ref's room. Just they vibe was incredible. When I first stepped on the ice it was soft and I thought oh great slow ics but it was so fast and smooth. So cool to look up in the stands.

Sid

My home ice groing up in S. Bend, Indiana. It is/was an old Studebaker steel mill. Crappiest building but if the ice was in good shape then it was the fastest rink around.

My second favorite is Lawson Ice Arena at WMU. I just used to love the whole environment there.

Are you talking about the Ice Box in South Bend? If so, that is my favorite rink to play at as well. Even though it is a crappy building it just has so much character and is always a lot of fun to play at. Also, Lawson at WMU is one of my favorites.

The old Smith Rink at West Point, United States Military Academy. The rink was over 200' long. Army used to have a huge advantage over visiting teams. The building was colder than an icebox. The boards were so high you had to go through the door to get back on the bench. You could jump over the boards from the bench but not the other way around. The new Tate Rink at West Point is also excellent. The ice is very fast on a 200' x 100' surface. I hadn't played there in a long time. Skated there a few weeks ago. I stood next to my goalie in the crease and the other end looked miles away.

In the late 80s I used to drive up to Ontario for OHL games in Kingston and Belleville. I brought my gear and played pickup in Kingston one Friday afternoon at 3. That old Memorial rink is pretty neat with the small building feel of a post WW II hockey rink. The goalie was a 70 year old priest. I stood out like a sore thumb as the only guy with a cage on my helmet. The Canadian guys only wore helmets, no masks. The next day I played at Quinte rink in Belleville. Another 200' x 100' rink. That was a blast, too. Its weird skating with guys who don't know you but everybody was really nice to a stranger from the US.

i would have to say the excel energy center in minnesota. But it was roller hockey for Narch still amazing though. I actually tore my acl while playing there too, so every time I watch a game on tv i can point out where I messed up my knee.

skating at mathews arena in boston is always awesome too, I went to college there and skating there is always great, best ice around.

I haven't played on it but when i went on holiday to NY ( im from UK) i went to the hockey shop in chelsea piers and on the way in i saw that there was a rink literally on the sea front right on the edge of the pier sticking out over the sea, i think it was a inline not ice but not 100% sure. It was really cool to me as we dont get too many rinks here and to see one on the sea front made it better. :)

i saw that there was a rink literally on the sea front right on the edge of the pier sticking out over the sea, i think it was a inline not ice but not 100% sure. It was really cool to me as we dont get too many rinks here and to see one on the sea front made it better. :)

Yes, thats the inline rink.

New England Sports Center in Marlboro,Mass.I used to play in like almost every tournament each year,up untill two years ago.In January the youth Hockey teams here go there for a tournament and when I played AAA I would always have tournaments up there.

Canada-Lachine Arena in montreal. was my home rink my whole minor hockey and we packed it for pee wee AA, parents on both sides yelling, it was awesome.

US- my favorite of all time had to be the Canterbury Rink at the Canterbury School. I remember that was where i played my first ever prep game, it was such a change, from the seamless glass to the packe dhouse screaming "hey williston, you suck!" it was a great introduction to US hockey.

Another 2 great places to play at are the rink at Oswego St. and at Plattsburgh St. last season i was henry healthy scratch so our game at oswego vs oswego was my first collegiate game. ~980 fans there screaming their heads off at us, jsut ruthless, and i remember arguing with the ref for a call and the blue line zoo crew screming hey #6, F*ck you. the rink or fieldhouse as they call it is actually an airplane hangar converted into a rink, just old and beautiful, but it is its last yr this yr with their new barn going up.

As for plattsburgh, they can fill that place, when i stepped onto the ice for the 2 min skate before puck drop, they had a laser lightshow, it was unreal, and there were over 2000 there! plus during the anthem while standing at the blueline i looked into the crowd and saw kids with plattsburgh jerseys on with their favorite players on the back. Unreal time, especially since i picked up 2 assists that game.

I also played in a tourney at UVM, what a great place to play as growing up i wanted to play there, but i vaguely remember the game due to the sooey and the ensuing concussion that followed.

These rinks sound unreal , I love them !

I once played at a rink that had fence instead of glass , everytime you would be on the boards your jersey would get stuck ! And when you would try to shoot the puck down the ice and if it hit the fence it would just drop !

ok. how bout this, This rink that ive played multiple tournys in has NO BOARDS! on one side it is a brick wall, the other side is literally six inch step then the lobby. There was a couple big tournys there, nobody knows why that rink was choosen. Rule was audience had to stand six feet away form step. It was extremely annoying. O yeah, it was an indoor pllace, to fully describe the cheapnessCouldnt go full speed on that side cause afraid of tripping on step, couldnt shoot slap shot down boards, not shoving along boards, ITs in Iowa somewhere, anybody play there, please share the misery :lol: I think im going to look it up now that i got all worked up over it (again)

Canada-Lachine Arena in montreal. was my home rink my whole minor hockey and we packed it for pee wee AA, parents on both sides yelling, it was awesome.

US- my favorite of all time had to be the Canterbury Rink at the Canterbury School. I remember that was where i played my first ever prep game, it was such a change, from the seamless glass to the packe dhouse screaming "hey williston, you suck!" it was a great introduction to US hockey.

Another 2 great places to play at are the rink at Oswego St. and at Plattsburgh St. last season i was henry healthy scratch so our game at oswego vs oswego was my first collegiate game. ~980 fans there screaming their heads off at us, jsut ruthless, and i remember arguing with the ref for a call and the blue line zoo crew screming hey #6, F*ck you. the rink or fieldhouse as they call it is actually an airplane hangar converted into a rink, just old and beautiful, but it is its last yr this yr with their new barn going up.

As for plattsburgh, they can fill that place, when i stepped onto the ice for the 2 min skate before puck drop, they had a laser lightshow, it was unreal, and there were over 2000 there! plus during the anthem while standing at the blueline i looked into the crowd and saw kids with plattsburgh jerseys on with their favorite players on the back. Unreal time, especially since i picked up 2 assists that game.

I also played in a tourney at UVM, what a great place to play as growing up i wanted to play there, but i vaguely remember the game due to the sooey and the ensuing concussion that followed.

You play in Vermont Yglod? How's rec hockey there? I might move there next year and im not good enough even for D3, but are there some leagues I could play in? (im turning 17 in march).

im from montreal, i played at UVM in a tourney when i was a kid, simple as that. i play in NY now in the SUNYAC

Ever play at LCC? That rink was ghetto.

It's sorta like a covered outdoor rink, with fence instead of glass. I shot a wrister throught the fence last yr when I played there.

When I was on skiing holliday in Switzerland about 15 years ago I went to a public skating in Davos. I was impressed by this building + outside they have a huge free skating rink as well. Here´s some pics of the "Ice Cathedral"

e1.jpg

ok.jpg

eishalledavos.jpg

eishalle_davos.jpg

speng3jpg.jpg

davos.jpg

Wow! some of you have been on some nice rinks!

My best to skate on (never played) was the Logitec Ice Arena in San Jose....where the Sharks practice.

One of the coolest rinks I have played at is Yost arena. It's great to watch a game there, and its also a pretty nice to skate at, too. I wonder what its like to skate there with all the fans going crazy.

yeah forgot about yost. I played there in peewees, the ice is great. one thing about the place is that it echoes alot, like playing in a cathedral.

im from montreal, i played at UVM in a tourney when i was a kid, simple as that. i play in NY now in the SUNYAC

Ever play at LCC? That rink was ghetto.

It's sorta like a covered outdoor rink, with fence instead of glass. I shot a wrister throught the fence last yr when I played there.

yup played at LCC back when i played hs 7 yrs ago. played hs as a second team for more ice time.

has any one been to the alfond arena at umaine orono. it is a sweet rink. i guess it is very intimidating to play in when you are the visiting team. i have only been there once but not to play.

Played in a bunch of rinks over the years.

Coolest:

- Fleet Center (Boston) : Rented this last year during lockout with a bunch of buds. Weird skating with so many empty seats. Benches tilted at real strange angle. Ice OK but dressing rooms great

- Tsongas Arena (Lowell): Home to Lock Monsters(AHL) and UMass-Lowell. Our Beer

League plays here. Super ice.

- Toronto Marlies practice rink: Name escapes me but played as a Bantam many years ago.

- Rochester War Memorial: Thouight it was cool as youth to play where the Amerks

skated but took stitches to the face and elbow due to stupid wire fences.

Coldest:

- Kent School (Kent, Ct.): Outdoor rink with roof but open on both ends and sides.

School set in a valley and when the wind was whipping, it was brutal.

- Some outdoor rink in Rochester, NY: Almost got frost bite on toes and face as a

Mite. Gave up the game for 2 years to thaw out.

No cool (as in fancy or spectacular) rinks for me, however here's a photo of the coolest (literally) rink I've ever played in, it's a tiny barn-like rink in my neighborhood and even if it's like -15 C (or 5 degrees F) out, it feels even colder inside.

orinken21cm.jpg

A cool thing about it is that it has been mentioned on the NHLPA website, as they got money from the NHLPA Goals & Dreams fund to help install an artificial ice system.

http://www.nhlpa.com/GoalsAndDreams/Progra...ails.asp?ID=108

My fav is probably the Campbellton Memorial Civic Center (Northern N-B). It only has about 1500 seats but it's almost a NHL atmosphere in there, it's freaking bright.