Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fonya

**The Official iPod and iTunes Thread**

THANKS JASON! That worked Perfectly!! Do note that works best in XP for changing the file extension. Had to throw them onto a thumb drive and do that step on my desktop..but still worked just as noted. Thanks again..just made my Awesome iPhone, THAT much Cooler!

I may have accidentally erased some of my music as I was trying to make room on my hard drive, although it's possible I had copies of these particular songs on my external hard drive. In any event, I'm pretty sure my iPod would essentially be the master for all the songs I know I want, so does anyone have a good suggestion for a program to break into my own iPod on a Mac? Also, would I need to uninstall iTunes to ensure it doesn't try to immediately sync with the iPod. (I was thinking of doing this on a different computer to try to separate the databases.)

Another question...I have a good amount of ringtones I created for my old krazr in mp3 format..I have them in my iTunes, how can I set my iPhone up to play a certain one for a certain person, and play a certain one for an Alarm Clock, or for a Voicemail or for a Txt Message?

Custom text message sounds can be done, but involves jailbreaking your phone and ssh etc which i wouldnt recommend, But just saying it can be done.

I may have accidentally erased some of my music as I was trying to make room on my hard drive, although it's possible I had copies of these particular songs on my external hard drive. In any event, I'm pretty sure my iPod would essentially be the master for all the songs I know I want, so does anyone have a good suggestion for a program to break into my own iPod on a Mac? Also, would I need to uninstall iTunes to ensure it doesn't try to immediately sync with the iPod. (I was thinking of doing this on a different computer to try to separate the databases.)

Diskaid might be able to help you.

Diskaid might be able to help you.

Jason, I was able to hook up my iPhone to my PC and cancel the sync without losing any of my music. And I'm doing it on my work PC, which has no music on it except the sample files that Windows comes with.

I tried looking for some way to switch iTunes so that the iPhone would be the master and music files would be copied to the PC, but couldn't find a way.

I have Diskaid too and was able to get to the music files, but they are in a proprietary naming and folder convention, so even though you could copy them, they'd be almost useless.

I did find this package that claims it can do what you want: http://www.wideanglesoftware.com/touchcopy/

Okay, I'm bored and would rather help Jason out than work on my documentation. touchcopy let me copy a couple songs from my iPhone to teh iTunes on my work PC. I think it will solve your problem.

After downloading the latest itunes I can no longer burn cds. I'm getting a message that says "disk burner or software not found" when I try to burn a CD. Anyone know how I can fix this?

syncing isnt a bad habit, its really fast, but sometimes its annoying when the songs you dont bother listening to ar eon your ipod....

Is anyone using the Genius feature on an iPod? I'm curious about how much info Apple gets about where music (not purchased from iTunes) came from.

I turned it off after ten minutes, since it was doing too poor of a job with its referrals.

Oh, you like Big Country? We think you'll like another one-hit band from the 80's like Kajagoogoo.

Um, not exactly. One rocked with a two-guitar attack and was known as one of the best live bands of its era, while the other's lead singer became most famous for writing a wispy soundtrack single.

I use Genius only for making playlists. Have been really happy with it, except for when it tells me there isn't enough information to create a playlist around a song (I listen to a lot of stuff that isn't huge mainstream so it makes it hard)

But (admission of guilt coming) will Apple know that 'some' of my music was acquired p2p.

There's no way to tell the difference between an MP3 file that was ripped from a purchased CD or downloaded from Limewire.

But (admission of guilt coming) will Apple know that 'some' of my music was acquired p2p.

There's no way to tell the difference between an MP3 file that was ripped from a purchased CD or downloaded from Limewire.

Yes there is, if the ID3-tag has been modified...

Occasionally, iTunes doesn't acknowledge that the iPhone has been connected. It happened again today, so I turned off the iPhone and rebooted, but nothing happened. Then I shut down iTunes and restarted, but it still didn't see the phone. Finally, I switched the hub that the USB cable had been in. Still not being seen.

Anyone have any ideas why this is happening and how I might be able to prevent it in the future?

Ok, so my friend put videos on his ipod nano (4g) 16gb, they are mp4 format. The videos are on the ipod fine and play fine on his computer and mine, yet they wont play in the ipod.

Any ideas?

Here's something that's started happenin recently..Every time I plug in my iPhone, even if iTunes is running or it opens, iTunes will freeze up. It won't do it with either of my Nano's. I have to close, and leave my iphone plugged in, open itunes, close, and Reopen it again before it'll load the iPhone and sync with it

Actually, no. The ID3-tag can be changed to anything by anyone, whether or not it was bought or downloaded.

Here's something that's started happenin recently..Every time I plug in my iPhone, even if iTunes is running or it opens, iTunes will freeze up. It won't do it with either of my Nano's. I have to close, and leave my iphone plugged in, open itunes, close, and Reopen it again before it'll load the iPhone and sync with it

If you're using a Mac, repair your permissions. If that doesn't work, reinstall iTunes.

If you have a PC, reinstall iTunes.

an ID3 tag can say anything, it's not a digital watermark that cannot be faked. For all effective purposes, no, no one will be able to tell where your music comes from, Apple is not snooping on you, even if you allow the "genius" to scan your library. However only a fool, or the completely uninitiated, will not be able to guess at the source of a file with the tags "HTOTHE_IZZO_By_JAYZ (REMIX)" "JAY Z PRODUCED BY TIMBALAN" "ALBUM NAME" "ripped by fatal1ty"

Thats why you download from private trackers who don't put up transcoded crap files.

Ok, so my friend put videos on his ipod nano (4g) 16gb, they are mp4 format. The videos are on the ipod fine and play fine on his computer and mine, yet they wont play in the ipod.

Any ideas?

They are probably made with a codec that doesnt play nicely with the iPod even though it loads them. If your encoding them yourself or transcode them in a program like Handbrake, just use the iPod presets and they should work nicely.

Additionally, the file extension may be lying. A computer can open a jpeg thats named "xxxx.gif" just fine, but an iPod wont always be able to handle that just fine.