Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
PH_Hockey2

The Things Customers Do

My new favorite is this line I hear at the cash register, always from hockey dads and never from hockey moms, "Oh, I left my wallet in the car." I just think to myself, fine, I'll still be here when you get back. What were you planning on paying with? Burger King coupons?

This doesnt sound like a "line" to me. Maybe Im wrong, but it sounds like they just left their wallet in the car. Do they not come back or do they try to pay some other way? If they come back in and pay, then it was obviously just a mistake. Of course women dont say that, as women rarely leave a purse in the car.

From your post, I just dont see that as a bad thing customers do...hell...I do it at times myself.

Edited by eric42434224

Actually, Eric, I've seen it as a scam.

Dad will say "I left my wallet in the car, but my kid needs to get on the ice, can I run these skates down to him in the locker room and I'll come back and get my wallet and pay you." Soon enough, they've scammed you out of $5.

A lot of adult leaguers try it as well using the excuse of not bringing in their wallets.

i think they could tell i just really didnt care at all, alot of the guys would bring up the extra beers for me or they would tip me a few times and then would just peace out without paying, i only chased the highschool kids becasue they were assholes about it and thought they deserved free shit all the time. assholes

One of the most amazing experiences I have had in customer serivice was when as I worked as a salesman for a window shutter/electric awning company. If customer's were liars or pains beyond beleif it would get to a point where the GM would review the file and complaints and decide to act or flat out refuse to help the customer.

I quizzed him about it once and his answer was "Some people want to take everything from us as a business... time, infomation, money and give nothing in return. We call these people 'Time wasters' and they exist in abundance. The best we can do in most cases is distance ourselves from them gracefully, but in some cases we do have to slam the door in their face and let them know we will not take their crap or their calls."

Funnilly enough he was on first name basis with all the complaint managers at Consumer Affairs because he always acted with their assitance and integrity on complaints.

Dad will say "I left my wallet in the car, but my kid needs to get on the ice, can I run these skates down to him in the locker room and I'll come back and get my wallet and pay you." Soon enough, they've scammed you out of $5.

A lot of adult leaguers try it as well using the excuse of not bringing in their wallets.

I have ZERO problems telling these guys no. Pay before play. Then they look at me like I'M the A-hole. Of course.

Un-related story:

So Sunday, guy comes in around 4 for a sharpening. We say sure, we close at 5, pick them up by then. Sure enough 5pm rolls around, skates are still sitting there. We lock up, go about our closing routine, then set the alarm and head out.

We get into the rink lobby, and hear the rink manager-on-duty say, "Oh, here are the guys right here." My buddy and I then get lambasted by the guy for "locking his skates in the shop". It's about 5:30 at this point, and the guys skates have been done for almost an hour at this point. But again, WE are the assholes for wanting to close up and go home at a decent time after spending 9 hours in the United Nations that we call the Ice House.

Sometimes you just can't win. :(

I was thinking it was more along the lines of the Dad buying his kid all new equipment, and not just getting skates sharpened. I see where he and you are coming from now.

My new favorite is this line I hear at the cash register, always from hockey dads and never from hockey moms, "Oh, I left my wallet in the car." I just think to myself, fine, I'll still be here when you get back. What were you planning on paying with? Burger King coupons?

This doesnt sound like a "line" to me. Maybe Im wrong, but it sounds like they just left their wallet in the car. Do they not come back or do they try to pay some other way? If they come back in and pay, then it was obviously just a mistake. Of course women dont say that, as women rarely leave a purse in the car.

From your post, I just dont see that as a bad thing customers do...hell...I do it at times myself.

No problem, eric, The thread is titled "Things Customers Do", not "Bad Things Customers Do." I just find it amusing that a person would walk into a pro shop and go to the cash register without money. Maybe it's just me. When you spend 5 days a week working retail what happens is that when you go into any other store you have a mutual understanding and respect for the person behind the counter. Therefore, when I go shopping I always remember my wallet to pay and I treat the help extremely nice since it I know most customers don't. It is just a karma thing.

Now that travel season has started we get to play traffic cops with the kids who think the pro shop is a clubhouse hang-out when the shop is packed with customers. Time to move along, fellas.

I worked in the restaurant business for years, and I never took someone forgetting a wallet in a car as a sign of disrespect or lack of courtesy. Is it an inconvenience...yes. Is it a scam?....in JR's scenario...yes. If the guy legitimately forgot his wallet...no big deal. Im not discounting your experiences, as I have never worked in an LHS....just my take on things. Funny thing is, now that I have read this, I will be taking that extra second to make sure I have my wallet with me!!!!! (unless Im getting my skates sharpened....LOL...then Im running the scam baby!)

Edited by eric42434224

No problem, eric, The thread is titled "Things Customers Do", not "Bad Things Customers Do." I just find it amusing that a person would walk into a pro shop and go to the cash register without money. Maybe it's just me. When you spend 5 days a week working retail what happens is that when you go into any other store you have a mutual understanding and respect for the person behind the counter. Therefore, when I go shopping I always remember my wallet to pay and I treat the help extremely nice since it I know most customers don't. It is just a karma thing.

Now that travel season has started we get to play traffic cops with the kids who think the pro shop is a clubhouse hang-out when the shop is packed with customers. Time to move along, fellas.

I'm the same way after working in retail for 4 years I have seen every type of customer, so when i walk into a store I am always courteous, thank them and always wish them a nice day or night before they get the chance to wish it to me. To me it's almost like an unspoken bond.

I'm the same way after working in retail for 4 years I have seen every type of customer, so when i walk into a store I am always courteous, thank them and always wish them a nice day or night before they get the chance to wish it to me. To me it's almost like an unspoken bond.

Agreed. Showing courtesy is just good behavoir for anyone.

I did the forgotten wallet thing the other day at home depot. I cruised around the store for half an hour before heading to the self checkout and realized that I left my wallet at home. I told the girl that I was a moron, but I would be back. She looked a little concerned until I explained my particular brand of idiocy, then she got a laugh out of it.

It pisses me off when parents come in with their 10 year old looking for skates, and the kid is wearing flip flops. They knew they were were shopping for skates, bringa pair of socks that you normally wear in your skates , instead of using our old giant stretched out of shape socks that thousands of people put on. And when customers come up to the door at 8:57 look at the hours on the door seeing that we close at 9 and come in anyways and take their time looking at skates and sticks, don't buy anything and leave. Or if they come in at 8:57 and want to buy skates and bake them and sharpen them, takes at least a half hour if its done right. We just tell them to come back the next day.

Agreed. Showing courtesy is just good behavoir for anyone.

Well yeah of course everyone should be, but I make sure I'm overly nice I guess covers my ass and the guy behind me who you'll be writing a story about :lol:

Edited by TNHhockey

One of my favorites is the parents who come in to buy skates (without socks or the kid's current pair of skates) and despite measuring a D, or even a C width, INSIST that the kid needs NBH EE width. "He needs them, he has a wide foot, just get them"

Then they come back the following week bitching that the kid has blisters. Of course it's MY fault. I must be the WORST LHS employee in the history of the world.

I worked in the restaurant business for years, and I never took someone forgetting a wallet in a car as a sign of disrespect or lack of courtesy. Is it an inconvenience...yes. Is it a scam?....in JR's scenario...yes. If the guy legitimately forgot his wallet...no big deal. Im not discounting your experiences, as I have never worked in an LHS....just my take on things. Funny thing is, now that I have read this, I will be taking that extra second to make sure I have my wallet with me!!!!! (unless Im getting my skates sharpened....LOL...then Im running the scam baby!)

I've forgotten my wallet too. I've also given a cashier one bill then realized it would be easier to pay with a smaller (or larger) bill. I wasn't trying to pull a fast one, but both are types of scams.

Not everybody who forgets their wallet is trying to pull a scam, but some are and you've gotta be careful. I definitely empathize with JR and DS50.

I get this a lot: Drops the skates off, says they are going out to get their wallet, shows up in their equipment. "Can I get you after the game, we're on in five minutes" Some of them are good for it, I know them and will get them sooner or later, but random guys, no way.

I know myself and know I'll most likely legitimately forget in those situations so I'd always rather pay upfront. The guy at my bodega and I always have the same argument when I don't have enough money for stuff in the morning. He wants me to take it and pay later I'd rather not take what I can't pay for. The outcome is split 50/50

• Like 1

One of my favorites is the parents who come in to buy skates (without socks or the kid's current pair of skates) and despite measuring a D, or even a C width, INSIST that the kid needs NBH EE width. "He needs them, he has a wide foot, just get them"

Then they come back the following week bitching that the kid has blisters. Of course it's MY fault. I must be the WORST LHS employee in the history of the world.

Well, you probably are. :)

I used to combat that by signing the receipt saying that they went against my expertise. CYA, man, CYA.

I used to combat that by signing the receipt saying that they went against my expertise. CYA, man, CYA.

On our reciepts we always right what the customer measured even if the customer listened to us and took the size we told them.

On our reciepts we always right what the customer measured even if the customer listened to us and took the size we told them.

Um...a good inventory/POS program will have that in the description, on the receipt. It's the 21st century... :)

VERY good idea...I do something similar.

When a client does something against my recommendations, like selling a bond orbuying a stock when I tell them they shouldn't, I get them to sign a non-solicitation letter. It covers my butt and my license, cause when they complain to my Compliance dept and the NASD, I have that letter, and the complaint is immediately denied.

It pisses me off when parents come in with their 10 year old looking for skates, and the kid is wearing flip flops. They knew they were were shopping for skates, bringa pair of socks that you normally wear in your skates , instead of using our old giant stretched out of shape socks that thousands of people put on. And when customers come up to the door at 8:57 look at the hours on the door seeing that we close at 9 and come in anyways and take their time looking at skates and sticks, don't buy anything and leave. Or if they come in at 8:57 and want to buy skates and bake them and sharpen them, takes at least a half hour if its done right. We just tell them to come back the next day.

+1 there. It makes fitting a little bit trickier.

We don't bake skates after 30 min before closing.

I've gotten a stretch of families from out of town who have visited the store with 32 hours or less before they head back and are flipping out when we can't get something from a manufacturer by the time their flight leaves. One family was in NY for 3 weeks and left it until five hours before they flew back to Sweden to come into my shop.

Um...a good inventory/POS program will have that in the description, on the receipt. It's the 21st century... :)

The only way my store gets something new and technological is if I get it for the store...We're lucky we get pens and not quills. <_<

I've gotten a stretch of families from out of town who have visited the store with 32 hours or less before they head back and are flipping out when we can't get something from a manufacturer by the time their flight leaves. One family was in NY for 3 weeks and left it until five hours before they flew back to Sweden to come into my shop.

Haha. Yeah, that's a good one.

"Our plane leaves tomorrow morning; if I was to order it, would it arrive in time?"

Yes, yes it would. <_<

Edited by AHF