Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
PH_Hockey2

The Things Customers Do

Yes, he stated his step father closed the sale. I don't think he had any motivation to lie.

This reminds me of the dad who thought the jock/cup combo short was too expensive for his son. I asked him if he was interested in having grand children. Sometimes part of the job is to get the customer to think.

sure, wasn't the most tactful thing but it was very straight forward and honest. What's really good customer service anyway? Giving the customer the product they want or giving them the product that is right for them?

The right product, giving them the wrong product is a disservice IMO. I have no problem people selling customers things that are not the best choice for them as long as they explain the situation about the purchase properly.

Edited by pantherfan

sure, wasn't the most tactful thing but it was very straight forward and honest. What's really good customer service anyway? Giving the customer the product they want or giving them the product that is right for them?

So cars with a new pair of less expensive brakes don't stop at all? They just go crashing into everything? As far as what's good customer service. Lets start with tact.

Edited by Bungee Man

He never said that but... YES, poor breaks have less stopping power and in the event of an emergency will not effectively do the job. When are your breaks relied on the most? emergencies.

So cars with a new pair of less expensive brakes don't stop at all? They just go crashing into everything? As far as what's good customer service. Lets start with tact.

We only sold Wagner (not cheap)

Personally, I refuse to pay full price... Unless the item in question is on clearance or sale I will pay full price even if offered lower. I tooks oem classes on economics and know how hard it is for some small shops to succeed when they make even 1/10th less than needed.

He never said that but... YES, poor breaks have less stopping power and in the event of an emergency will not effectively do the job. When are your breaks relied on the most? emergencies.

Less stopping power maybe, but I don't think it compares to buying a gun, and then killing your son. Am I missing something here?

First, I DID say the tact could have been better but since you want to argue...

You do realize that car accidents cause more deaths than guns right? It's not even close. Good vs poor breaks could easily be the difference between life or death in an emergency. At the point where it costs a life, when a life could be saved(possibly), it would be no different than shooting him. A decision that was made potentially cost a life.

First, I DID say the tact could have been better but since you want to argue...

You do realize that car accidents cause more deaths than guns right? It's not even close. Good vs poor breaks could easily be the difference between life or death in an emergency. At the point where it costs a life, when a life could be saved(possibly), it would be no different than shooting him. A decision that was made potentially cost a life.

TBLfan, the whole point of my reply was that I don't think what he said was good customer service. He could have said something along the lines of what you just said above, and have gotten his point across in a more tactful way. Which to me would have been better customer service.

I ran into my LHS for a few things after class the other day.

The owner was vacuuming the floors and one of his minions was doing skates. Another customer was there and instead of asking the guy vacuuming the floor, he stops the sharpener to ask a question about sticks, probably wondering why they have such low stock right now. Who the hell stops the kids doing skates before the older guy vacuuming (even though they should probably be doing each other's jobs)?

I get done selecting the blade I was buying, walk up the counter and the owner sees me, waves and comes over to ring me up. We exchange pleasantries and I didn't linger to ask a few questions about when he expects the Spring stock to be in.

I ran into my LHS for a few things after class the other day.

The owner was vacuuming the floors and one of his minions was doing skates. Another customer was there and instead of asking the guy vacuuming the floor, he stops the sharpener to ask a question about sticks, probably wondering why they have such low stock right now. Who the hell stops the kids doing skates before the older guy vacuuming (even though they should probably be doing each other's jobs)?

I get done selecting the blade I was buying, walk up the counter and the owner sees me, waves and comes over to ring me up. We exchange pleasantries and I didn't linger to ask a few questions about when he expects the Spring stock to be in.

One of our customers came in yesterday and asked me when we would be getting new sticks. I told him when we were expecting the deliveries.

Me: NikeBauer should ship April 15th, that's when we'l be getting the new items.

Customer: What about the Vapor XXXX grip?

Me: April 15th is the ship date.

Customer: Why isn't it out now?

Me: It's a new product, it will ship April 15th.

Customer: That's stupid. Why isn't it out now? It's in the NHL!!

Me: Pro's get things six-mo-.......April 15th.

I started to explain, but it just wasn't worth it. Not with this particular customer.

I've worked in retail and in jobs where much of your salary is based on tips (restaurants, camps) and I agree, customers are the same across the board.

It has given me much patience with how I handle myself as a consumer. I was also raised that you tip 20%. More if it's exceptional service, 15% if it's crappy, and in VERY VERY rare circumstances do you not tip at all. Going to Europe still makes me feel weird not tipping.

Edited by VakarLajos

I'm personally not a fan of tipping. I realize it's pretty ingrained, but it sort of defeats the whole purpose. Tipping is there to let the wait staff know you liked their services. A "mandatory" 15% doesn't get the message across. I also think it's weird tipping random people. People like doormen, valet workers, bartenders, mailmen, etc all are supposed to be given tips (holiday or otherwise) for doing their job.

I suppose if I was a regular or/and they did a really good job, but an obligatory tip just seems weird to me.

Don't get me wrong, I do still tip. I gave the really nice bartender an extra dollar on the 2 beers I had last night since he was really cool and on top of things. I just think it's silly to have an almost mandatory gratuity that isn't mandatory. Some valet services charge you $5 for the service, some just expect tips and get pissed when you "stiff" them for taking your car the 60 feet to the lot at a valet only event (senior prom back in high school, I did give the guy $5).

Well you have to remember that those tips are accounted for in their pay(sometimes). A waiter or waitress might only be getting paid $2.50 an hour from the resturant.

We order delivery basically every day from the shop. Same delivery guy from the same place 3 or 4 times a week. We usually give $2 on a $12-$15 tab. I was a delivery boy for 3 years and a $2 tip on any delivery was fine by me, especially college aged kids.

We gave him $14 on a $12.10 tab. He stood there with his hands out and said, "I come very far". 6 blocks.

We order delivery basically every day from the shop. Same delivery guy from the same place 3 or 4 times a week. We usually give $2 on a $12-$15 tab. I was a delivery boy for 3 years and a $2 tip on any delivery was fine by me, especially college aged kids.

We gave him $14 on a $12.10 tab. He stood there with his hands out and said, "I come very far". 6 blocks.

some delivery people think they deserve a freakin huge ass tip for doing there job.

On the tipping thing...quick story.

Out after hockey, at a national chain Pizza/Sports bar place. Bills all came. Buddy of mine had enough cash in his pocket for his bill...but owed another guy some cash, so he offered to get his bill as well. He didn't have enough money for both...so he left tip money on the table and went to the bar to pay the bills on CC.

When she asked him what amount to ring in...he said "Whatever those 2 bills add up to". She did and he paid it and she kinda threw the receipt across the bar at him and rolled her eyes.

He came back to the table...picked up the money and walked out. If I recall the service that night wasn't great to begin with, so what he had left was generous.

After reading and contributing to this thread we have a code saying in the shop for ridiculous customers and situations: TCD-Things Customers Do.

YES!! TCD!! Although soon we will have to add TJD... Things Jim Does!!

On the tipping thing...quick story.

Out after hockey, at a national chain Pizza/Sports bar place. Bills all came. Buddy of mine had enough cash in his pocket for his bill...but owed another guy some cash, so he offered to get his bill as well. He didn't have enough money for both...so he left tip money on the table and went to the bar to pay the bills on CC.

When she asked him what amount to ring in...he said "Whatever those 2 bills add up to". She did and he paid it and she kinda threw the receipt across the bar at him and rolled her eyes.

He came back to the table...picked up the money and walked out. If I recall the service that night wasn't great to begin with, so what he had left was generous.

The national chain Pizza/Sports bar place you speak of, is notorious for their bad service. Doesn't matter where you are, Hamilton, Mississauga, Whitby, Orangeville, Ottawa, it just stinks. I think they hire based on bad service.......

Quick story. My brother and his buddy got wings & a pitcher, waited more than 30 MINUTES after they finished eating for someone to come over, no one came, so they calmly picked up their jackets & walked out. He said the saddest thing was not a single person even questioned them as they walked out.

Phil

Wow. 52 pages, and my pet-peeve hasn't been brought up. <_<

Don't you all love the dads that brag about their son's abilities?

*Dad is looking for a stick for said son*

Me: "How old is he?"

Proud dad: "Oh my son's only twelve years old but he plays on the AAA team. He's their best player and he's got the fastest shot in the province."

You just had to throw that in, right?

There's been all sorts of scenarios like that and they drive me up the friggin' wall. Tell me about your son, don't brag about him. It doesn't impress me in the least.

---------

While I'm at it, I'll touch up on a couple points aforementioned.

-Staying after close, to help a customer: I do it from time to time, and I must say I enjoy it...if you're buying (or even have the intention of buying). It could be 5 minutes to close, but if you come in with the intention of buying, I will gladly help you out. Need new skates? Sure, I'll spend 45 minutes with you to try on a few pairs, bake them and sharpen them. Going the extra mile for a grateful customer is always pleasing. I'll go home happy.

...but! If your wandering around aimlessly clearly with no intention of buying anything, don't expect my attention. You wanna waste my time? Fine...don't expect anything from me in the meantime.

-Tipping: In my short time working at the LHS, I've been tipped once, and I wasn't expecting it. Customer called in 5 minutes before closing to ask if I minded sticking around for ten minutes as they were on their way for a sharpening before a playoff game. I obliged. So I sharpened his skates, which had a season-pass, so he didn't owe me a penny. Still, he gave me five bucks and thanked me for staying late. Little things like that make the customer happy, and they make me happy. Yeah, it's only 5 bucks, but that's not the point. The simple act of tipping was very gratifying.

-Discounts: A very pig pet-peeve of mine. I HATE being asked "Is that the best you can do?" Yes, it's the best I can do, you dickhead. Why should I give you a discount? The price on the tag is the price on the tag. Simple as that. When I go shopping, I have never even came close to asking for a discount on something. I see the price tag...if I like it, I'll buy. If not, I won't! I won't go up to the till to try to swindle my way out of a few bucks.

Again, I have no problem throwing in a discount, or add-on items, as long as you pull your weight. If you're nice, if you buy a few items, I'll have no problem giving you a deal. If you're expecting a discount off a simple replacement blade I didn't help you find, you're barking up the wrong tree. I've had no interaction with you, so why the heck should I lower the price for you?

-Cheaper prices elsewhere: You saw it somewhere else, did you? Why the fack didn't you buy it there?? Don't expect me to price match, you schmuck.

Alright, that's enough rambling. I'm sure I'm forgetting stuff I wanted to write, but whatever. :)

I'll finish off with this gem of a conversation I had with a customer not too long ago.

Lady: "Can you do more than 20% off on this?"

Me: "I'm sorry, that's all we can do."

Lady: "But I'm good-looking!"

*awkward pause*

Me: "Yeah, I'm really sorry, but that's all we can do"

I held it in, but man did I want to tell her straight out "Uh, no you're not." :ph34r:

(I shouldn't post after a shift!)

Edited by AHF

Oh what the heck...another quick one.

(Not in a hockey store, but a hat store)

Girl: "Do you guys have the New York hats?"

Me: "Which New York team are you looking for? There's the Rangers, Islanders, Knicks, Mets, Yankees, Giants..."

Frustrated Girl: "Oh I don't know. The New York Whatevers!"

:lol:

Edited by AHF

How about the hockey dads that like to use the pro shop in the rink as their son's personal locker room? We have one guy that drags the bag in with the 6 year old kid and gets him dressed in the skate fitting chairs. We would mention it to him that there is a locker room but we know he'd throw us an attitude. Just better left alone, for the time being.

The other day I had the raunchiest pair of skates I've ever sharpened in my life! It was so bad I had the fan going and I was arching my back away from the skate. Customer was a good guy though, he warned me and all but man I wish he would have went elsewhere. He easily has taken first place in my books with the smelliest skate ever. On top of that, I think I got a sore throat from those skates.

Also we've had a couple tournaments and each time there are a handful of parents who ask "Do you do a good job?" To what I reply, "It's my first day." Or "No I do a crappy job." Oddly enough no parent's have ever taken their skates away. Obviously I do the skates proper and all, but I like to think that I just look so sexy passing the skate through the stone and they just like to watch me.

I used to reply...well, I just watched the video, as I yank them out of the customers hands. The looks were always priceless, a good majority of the time the customer thought I was joking (though I just went to work and never said I was joking), and half the time they would walk out. Worked for me.

Zach