Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

taigyr

Three on three ice hockey.

Has anyone ever participated in a league with three on three ice hockey?

I'm asking because my team wants to try it for the summer...smaller rink...and all.

thanks

Did a 3 on 3 ironman tourny once.... 1 day (5 games),25 min games, no whistles, any penalties were penalty shots.

If its anything like that it should be a blast.

I was told that there is special rink for 3 on 3 play...3/4 the size of standard rink.

I am not even sure about the rules...I heard the play is similiar to shinny hockey...

I was wondering if anyone ever played 3 on 3 and thier impressions.

Did a 3 on 3 ironman tourny once.... 1 day (5 games),25 min games, no whistles, any penalties were penalty shots.

If its anything like that it should be a blast.

I've done a few of those - Hell of a good time. Depending on what age/level you are playing at, things can get pretty intense; I've been in some battles in that format.

I'm currently playing in a 3 on 3 league and its pretty crazy.. Basically no stoppages, unless the puck is unplayable.. But if a goal is scored, the other team takes it out of the net and you just keep going. Kinda like basketball in a way. And for offsides, once a team crosses the opposing blue line, that blue line then becomes the red line, and you have to clear it past the red line to become offside, which gives you more room to pass the puck and make plays. Also, all penalties that are called become penalty shots for the other team. Really fun hockey, I highly recommend it.. And if your looking for a good workout and a good way to fine tune your skills, this is how to do it.

Three on three is fun, but if you decide to go for it make sure you're in good shape as you'll be skating your butt off. The other positive aspect is it helps with your puck skills as you'll have more time with it.

It's a good time, but yeah, you will be skating alot. It's a really good way to keep in shape.

I've played two ways, both on an olympic size rink.

method 1: move the nets up to the hash marks. The whole rink is in play. No offsides.

method 2: Play sideways. Nets are at the hash marks, parallel to the side boards. Blue line is out of bounds. (We had 12 inch high pads that ran along the blue lines.) No offsides. You can play 3 games at once this way.

method 2 was crazy fun since everything is so close.

One of the rinks near me is forming a 3-on-3 league, w/ 6 skaters to a team, 30 minute games, all penalties settled via penalty shots, etc. Sounds like what I did on Sunday morning in a pickup game except that was 4-on-4 for 60 minutes with 1 sub on each bench!

One of the rinks near me is forming a 3-on-3 league, w/ 6 skaters to a team, 30 minute games, all penalties settled via penalty shots, etc. Sounds like what I did on Sunday morning in a pickup game except that was 4-on-4 for 60 minutes with 1 sub on each bench!

I remember the last time they tried a 3 on 3 at that rink, it was called "speed hockey" for that tournament. They ended up letting some of the teams play for free just to get enough teams to have a tournament.

Having a goalie that can handle the puck is a big help as well.

Lots of fun, and you can get as much ice time in 3 on 3 as you would with a regular roster in 5 on 5 hockey.

However, if your a goalie thinking about joining a 3 on 3 league, expect to take a huge beating.. Our goalie probably receives on average a good 60 shots per game, more or less depending on the team we're playing, or how much predrinking we did and how little we backcheck. :D

another great format for 3on3 is having a 12 inch barrier errected at centre ice and the goals in their normal positions. the "takeout" line is the blue line, and since there are usually 4-6 people on a team, the subs can just stay to one side in the neutral zone and stay out of the way.

this works well because the goalies get a lotta shots, they are defending for each team, you have WAY more participation because on a sheet of ice there are 12 skaters plus 2 goalies playing at any one time, and the pace of game is very fast.

i have never done this, but in Eagle River Wisconson I see the old timers doing this format. i usually watch them for a few minutes before practise on wednsday nights. it is really great stuff to watch!

Hey guys,

It's cool to hear your responses...

In 3 on 3 is there set positions? Like 2 forwards and 1 defenceman or is it more like shinny hockey...

My main concerns with my team is there we aren't skilled enough or we might not have a very well conditioned goalie...

3 on 3 on a standard rink...sounds like a lot of skating..hopefully my team is conditioned enough to handle the pace...

I get a team together every year. Full ice, no penalties, no offsides, every min line change. Penalties result to a penalty shot. I love it. My team usually just has a guy play point and every1 else goes balls out down low. If we are about to changeand we have puck by our bench we eat it and keep it there for the next guys to get it. When the 1 guy gets it the other 2 guys go to the other end of the rink and we shoot a bombing pass to a teammate. usually results in a 2-1, 2-0, or 1-0. 3on3 is prob my favorite thing that isnt full ice 5on5.

3on3=super fun, good workout/conditioning.

since im not playing adult 3on3, theres a buzzer every minute and thats the line change. we usually have a full team. may help to have a second goalie(if you can switch, im not sure if you can)

Played at a 3on3 rink in Surrey BC, tons of fun, good workout.

Ya I play their every spring. Is anyone else?

This is will be my second year playing in that league.