Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BK

What other sports do you play?

That's fine...I feel the same way about a lot of sports such as baseball, but i still consider it a sport. Neither of you answered what your definition of a sport is. Not trying to argue, but some people feel the same way as you and I'd like to get some opinions. Syncronized swimming? you have to be kidding. How is paintball at all like power walking or syncronized swimming? :blink:

Lacrosse

Flatwater Kayaking

Baseball

Softball

Wrestled in highschool

Soccer

Field hockey

Speed swimming

Ringette (yeah that lasted long...)

Boxing

That's fine...I feel the same way about a lot of sports such as baseball, but i still consider it a sport. Neither of you answered what your definition of a sport is. Not trying to argue, but some people feel the same way as you and I'd like to get some opinions. Syncronized swimming? you have to be kidding. How is paintball at all like power walking or syncronized swimming? :blink:

Because they're more hobbies or activities.

Because they're more hobbies or activities.

I agree, kinda, with the golf, darts, bowling, billards, stuff like that.

But synchro swimming...Have to disagree. I was a speedswimmer and we had to share the pool on Saturday mornings...its way tougher than it looks!

sure it's a hobby/activity for some, but like i said if you don't know anything about competative paintball you shouldn't talk. Paintball is life for a lot of guys i know and i played every weekend at least when i was playing competatively. I'm sure there are a lot of guys play hockey as a hobby or activity also.

sure it's a hobby/activity for some, but like i said if you don't know anything about competative paintball you shouldn't talk. Paintball is life for a lot of guys i know and i played every weekend at least when i was playing competatively. I'm sure there are a lot of guys play hockey as a hobby or activity also.

Just because people are competitive or make it an obsession doesn't mean anything. The national championships on ESPN were nothing more than guys hosing down areas until everyone got hit or time ran out. Maybe one match out of four had any strategy to it at all.

Hockey isn't my only sport.. in fact, its not even my best sport.

I have played soccer my entire life (gradeschool through college, now competitively for a travel league.) Its my true passion. I will post up pics from newspapers I have been in and articles about teams I have been on later tonight or tomorrow morning.

You want me to set you up with some indoor and outdoor games when you make it over?

Sure :)

Ayt. Just let me know when you're planing in. I know a couple of guys.

Just because people are competitive or make it an obsession doesn't mean anything. The national championships on ESPN were nothing more than guys hosing down areas until everyone got hit or time ran out. Maybe one match out of four had any strategy to it at all.

The fact that ESPN airs it is pathetic. Just because its televised as a "sport" doesn't make it one. I doubt anyone here would argue that competative spelling is a sport, let alone poker, that Japanese obstacle course, or the dock dog competitions, all of which are on ESPN semi-regularly. I know this is going to piss off a lot of enthusiasts, but I've always viewed paintballing as an activity that isn't known for its maturity. Everyone I know who talks about paintballing does it in the "remember back in 4th grade when we used to...." way. All of my friends who ever were "serious" about it dropped it once they hit middle school. Of the few kids who I know that continued to do so in high school and beyond, they were also into Magic cards and other hobbies that were popular in elementary school. See a trend? I'm not bad-mouthing anyone here for paintballing, because it doesn't affect me and I don't care what you do. I'm also not trying to stereotype all paintballers either, I'm just sharing my personal experiences. Hell, I play poker seriously, and 99% of serious poker players are complete losers. When it comes down to it, I avoid telling people I play as much as I do, partly out of modesty, but mainly because I hate being associated with those types of people.

okay, it is impossible to televise paintball. I don't think it should be on TV either because there is too much going on in the game to capture on camera at once. Just to prove a point, the two pro teams that win just about every event are Dynasty and XSV...so it's not just them 'hosing' the field. Please don't judge it off of the ESPN broadcasts.

Sure paintball has gotten a bad reputation because there are some idiot kids who don't even play that go out and buy guns just to shoot things which is ridiculous but what can you do? The real paintball community is probably the most welcoming group of athletes out there. I don't really know how to put this but as you say poker is full of 'losers'...paintball is not. Maybe we can bargain on it being in the extreme sport category? ;)

In high school I played football, baseball, soccer, basketball, intramural volleyball, and hockey at different points during my 4 years. Mostly roller hockey until college when i switched to Ice. I played rugby in college as well, rugby is awesome and dabbled into some lacrosse. Tried waterpolo for a day and thought it was too freaking hard (waterpolo player have my respect). Now I stick with ice hockey but also play mens slowpitch softball, and flag football for a YMCA league. I am way too competitive in hockey so slowpitch and flag football are just for fun.

The fact that ESPN airs it is pathetic. Just because its televised as a "sport" doesn't make it one. I doubt anyone here would argue that competative spelling is a sport, let alone poker, that Japanese obstacle course, or the dock dog competitions, all of which are on ESPN semi-regularly.

Yeah, it's getting rediculous that in the time that ESPN would've aired hockey, there's stuff like paintball and poker instead. I mean, I love to play poker (and would probably love to play paintball, I just convert the money that would go into paintball into hockey gear), but it's boring to watch.

Just a question on paintballing

How much do paintballs cost over in NA?

A case(2000) ranges anywhere from like $30-$70 US depending on brand and if it's just rec paint or tourny paint, etc.

If NHL wants ESPN to air hockey they need to find a way to get ratings up and/or lower the cost for them to air it. That's why you see paintball, poker, and the spelling bee on TV. Paintball started to air because there was a lot of requests for it. The paintball community is huge and we've been working on it for a while and ESPN finally came through.

Is sportfishing a sport?

For me: hockey, soccer, cricket, sportfishing, hunting, paintball, snowboarding, skateboarding, cross country, marathon, triathalon, swimming, track + field, weightlifting, road cycling and criterium cycling.

Occasionally only (never been on a team/competed in these sports): wakeboarding, softball, skiing, bball, roller hockey, fasttrack cycling, beach volleyball, bodyboarding, boogie boarding (I really want to try real surfing).

Just a question on paintballing

How much do paintballs cost over in NA?

A case(2000) ranges anywhere from like $30-$70 US depending on brand and if it's just rec paint or tourny paint, etc.

If NHL wants ESPN to air hockey they need to find a way to get ratings up and/or lower the cost for them to air it. That's why you see paintball, poker, and the spelling bee on TV. Paintball started to air because there was a lot of requests for it. The paintball community is huge and we've been working on it for a while and ESPN finally came through.

The difference between hockey and paintballing is that hockey has been a legitmate sport for a century or so. Paintballing is now just becoming a phase. Yes, there might be some kind of a market for it, but honestly, how long can that last? I don't see most paintball enthusiasts continuing to like it for more than a couple of years. Like I said earlier about my perceptions of its maturity factor, I think as people grow up the vast majority of them grow out of it. Seeing people shooting at each other, no matter how much "strategy" is involved is boring for most people. This is the same with poker. I won't even watch it on TV unless its the main event at the WSOP or if there is a final table that looks really good. Poker won't last on TV. Paintballing won't last on TV. The only sports that will last on American TV are NFL football, basketball (not WNBA obviously), baseball, and college basketball and football. Hockey and soccer are really on the edge. I think there is a big enough fan base to support both, they just need to work out the marketing aspects of it.

Remember a few years ago when skateboarding was really popular on TV, and it was shown on basically every major sports network, including NBC? Thats what is happening to poker now, and with paintballing to much lesser extent. Neither will last.

Completely agree. I doubt they will air it as much as they do now for long. Other networks air smaller PB tournies though regularly and have for a while now. Spike does occasionally and i believe TBS was the other one...not positive. But it being on ESPN for this amount of time will get others interested to help the sport grow. You'd be amazed how profitable the companies that make the markers and gear are. It is probably the most profitable sport as far as equipment goes. You have to start somewhere though right? The sport will not get smaller. The amount of growth in the past 10 years is amazing...

The fact that ESPN airs it is pathetic. Just because its televised as a "sport" doesn't make it one. I doubt anyone here would argue that competative spelling is a sport, let alone poker, that Japanese obstacle course, or the dock dog competitions, all of which are on ESPN semi-regularly.

Yeah, it's getting rediculous that in the time that ESPN would've aired hockey, there's stuff like paintball and poker instead. I mean, I love to play poker (and would probably love to play paintball, I just convert the money that would go into paintball into hockey gear), but it's boring to watch.

Paintball is paying for the time on ESPN, exactly what they wanted the NHL to do. In fact most of the third-tier sports they show have similar terms. ESPN gets programming without having to pay a number of people to analyze and report on a sport. The production costs to them is tiny compared to what it would take to cover the NHL. Poker started out the same way, but had high enough ratings that they bought the rights.

Major sports do not pay for airtime or split revenues with cable broadcasters. The NHL took a revenue sharing deal with NBC just to get the sport on a major network.

Speaking of the NHL and their TV contract, I read in the last SI that only 3% of their total revenue comes from their TV deals, while the NFL's is 66%.

I started playing tennis my freshman year of high school and I still love to play. Im just now taking up golf. I sometimes play football and baseball with my friends for fun.

I'll play any sport for fun and I just have an affinity for sports in general, meaning I get competent relatively quickly for anything i pick up. But Ive only played hockey with any kind of consistency. I also run 30 miles a week and race 5/10K's if you could consider that a sport. Hopefully run a marathon too, someday, but 1/2 marathons first..

Is this just for school or organizations? cause its summer and every day we play another day at my friends house. weaher it be basketball, baseball, football, soccer. get like 6 vs. 6 everyday and have a 3 hour game or somethin.