Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wickedwrister

Why do guys with half shields get mad

i am wearing nothing at my helmet.

and i know that accidents can happen, i am playing hockey for 20 years know.

i have seen a mans half face "flap down" after receiving a slap shot there.

i have seen a lot of things, very scary things, and yes when i got the possibility to switch from full cage to half shield in juniors, it did not take a second to get rid of that cage.

this was a big experience, cause in germany you could wear a visor with 18 in juniors but there still were a lot of younger guys still wearing cages.

i played defence, and not just a single puck hit me just near my face, and i blocked a lot of shots!

the league i played in was the best league in germany, that means a lot of very talented strong players played there (best players between birthyear 1978-1981), high level junior hockey, we won the championship that year, by the way.

what i wanna say is, that the only scars i have in my face are not caused from pucks, they are from f*** "i am save behind my cage" idiots!

dont get me wrong, if you want to wear a cage, it is no problem it is even smarter to wear one!

but there are different reasons why i would say making playing without anything mandatory for at least one game for everyone!!

so that would scare the shit out of you cage players and you would learn where your stick should be!!

i wonder how many "accidents" would happen after that...

theres is a sense behind that high sticking rule... :huh:

What about the tough guys with cages who like to get their hands up in your face or throw punches at anyone not wearing a cage? I think we should be allowed to kill them.

yea, no penalty.... let's bring back public stonings.... except replace the stoning part with the beatdown on the guy wearing a cage by the guy he went after

Stoning is so 5th century. How about a modern version: pucking! You strap the guy spread-eagle to the goal with no equipment on and line up for slappers.

Wow, there's a lot of hate for players that wear full cages in this thread.

As a cage wearer I would like to ask you not to paint all of us with the same brush. I know there are some douchebags out there who play cheap and reckless from behind their cages but not everyone does. You just tend to notice the ones that do because they stick out more.

I wear a cage and always try to have control of my stick. I don't bring my stick up high or carry it at head level. I don't glove guys in the face. Why? It's because I have a modicum of respect for other players.

I wear a cage because I don't have dental or disability coverage so I have to go to work the next day or my household slides down the tubes. No need to disrespect me because I'm aware of my responsibilities.

I see a lot of folks here saying that people who wear cages are somehow more likely to high stick, or less careful where their stick is. Where does this logic come from? I wear a cage and I can tell you I am just as careful as the next guy (or girl).

edit: Reaper and I must have been typing at the same time.

I used to wear a full face shield and yes, I did feel almost invincible. But I was one who always kept my stick down anyways. When I switched over to a half visor it forced me to keep my head up and be more aware of my surroundings, careless sticks in particular. My style of play had also shifted. I used to stand in front of the opposition goalie trying to screen, get a tip, or rebound. Now I am bit more afraid of getting too close because players just wack away in that area. I just use careful discretion for each play now. Strange as it may sound, I think I've been hit in the face a lot less by not wearing the full facial.

I see a lot of folks here saying that people who wear cages are somehow more likely to high stick, or less careful where their stick is. Where does this logic come from? I wear a cage and I can tell you I am just as careful as the next guy (or girl).

Speaking for myself when i wear a cage i can go head first in to a check and not worry so it may make you a little less careful but i wouldn't say wreckless or anything

Wow, there's a lot of hate for players that wear full cages in this thread.

As a cage wearer I would like to ask you not to paint all of us with the same brush. I know there are some douchebags out there who play cheap and reckless from behind their cages but not everyone does. You just tend to notice the ones that do because they stick out more.

It's not hatred for all cage wearers, simply that the worst offenders (in my area) happen to be guys with full cages.

I haven't worn a full shield since I started playing Sr/Beer hockey, a cage is the hardest thing for me to use (I have a weird eye thing that makes bars pretty much impossible for me to use)...I'll always use a half..

also the biggest freak incident i ever had was on a pond..does anyone wear a full cage/helmet on the lake while playing shinny? It wasn't even a stick but a puck that ricocheted off a chip in the ice..

if its the flow of the game and I'm cutting down the boards and the odd stick catches the lip etc..no problems..even if a puck gets up a little high , tip etc..why would I be mad..

when you have the people who are already careless..normally the same people who have started later in life and learn what they call "hockey" by watching it on TV and think that its ok to spear in pick up or C league @ 1045pm...the onus is on them..they lack the respect and understand that many get while growing up with the game (ie you act like a fool, you'll get your ass kicked..especially when playing travel and there's full contact like most of us know) ..most of the people who are in this boat have normally done something else before you get their stick in your teeth..

To those people I seriously suggest that people take on my recent philosophy...wreck em...you'll what get a 2min in most situations...on most of my teams if that happens we just let the other team score right away...and our guy is right back out there..or..if they are notorious hacks but are rocking the new OPS..break it...just 2 hand it...its very cathartic...and 85% of the time since they were hacking the crap out of your stick ...the ref lets it go and just tells them that is what they get ..

Theo,

I'm fine with the odds and taking chances into my own hands and understand that freak events happen (i.e my nearly losing my eye skating on the pond)...and 90% of the time will lay the blame on me...what I won't take is the careless person who doesn't understand their actions because they are padded to the max and get their understanding of sport from TV/Media...I have a pretty large tolerance when stuff happens and I would have umbrage with those people regardless if I was wearing a full shield or not

I always laugh at people who say that you are asking for trouble if you play with anything less than a full cage. Those are usually the same people who pay no attention to where their stick is and have no problem starting a scrum with folks without. I have always found that young kids are less responsible with their sticks because they've never played without the cage and just don't get it.

It's not hatred for all cage wearers, simply that the worst offenders (in my area) happen to be guys with full cages.

Same experience.

I always laugh at people who say that you are asking for trouble if you play with anything less than a full cage.  Those are usually the same people who pay no attention to where their stick is and have no problem starting a scrum with folks without.  I have always found that young kids are less responsible with their sticks because they've never played without the cage and just don't get it.

Sorry, but I guess I am proof that your little theory is wrong

I've never injured anyone or started a scrum. In fact, people say I should play more aggressive, especially w/ my size

Talk about not getting it...Wear a full shield and you have nothing to worry about out there.

I find that most people who wear nothing think they are invisible and cry when they get nicked or anything. That seems to fit a person like you perfectly. But I won't make assinine assumptions about people I've never met

Ok, so you're the one exception. Don't hurt your elbow patting yourself on the back. As for me, I'll stick with my visor as I play mostly with and against people who've played the game and know how to play it right so what say you hop off the "full cage soapbox" for a little while. I've heard enough preaching today.

I have no respect for the yahoos who wave their sticks up around my head. Cage, visor or nothing, I'm getting pissed if someone wacks me upside the head with a stick. It's the overall lack of concern for others that drives me nuts.

Agree 110%. If it was total accident and a fluke i don't mind if I get hit. For example I wore my half at a sticktime, the golie was trying to make a long saucer pass to another guy after a shot and popped me right in the face. Lots of blood, swollen lip, wasn't pretty. Did I get mad at him? He was really apologetic, and could tell it was a complete accident. But say i'm playing with some guys and they're waving their sticks everywhere and trying to lift my stick and junk without any concern then sure i'm going to get pissed at them even if I DONT get hit.

I wear a full face shield but am always aware of where my stick is. I had been thinking of switching to a half visor but I am shorter than a lot of the guys I play with so I tend to get more "accidental" sticks and elbows to the face. Also I have played with various guys that are really careless. Ironically these are the same guys that are winding up for a full slapshot when there is a bunch of pple in front of the net during pick up. I am not talking about being set up on the point, but there is a scramble in front of the net and the puck squeezes out to the point. Some pple have no regard for others on the ice.

Ok, so you're the one exception. Don't hurt your elbow patting yourself on the back. As for me, I'll stick with my visor as I play mostly with and against people who've played the game and know how to play it right so what say you hop off the "full cage soapbox" for a little while. I've heard enough preaching today.

Go ahead and tell me you never went to lift a stick and the guy moves his out of the way or offers no resistance at the last second causing you to pull your stick higher than you thought. "Your a Daisy if ya do" Chippa13!!! Shit happens even to an old pro like yourself.

I know what you mean wickedwrister, but I find the those who plays with a cage and never played with a visor are more dangerous because they never got caught up on the face and they are more careless with their sticks.

It was pretty much of Sundin's his fault, he was going to hit someoen because he was frustrated for some reasons, and when he did arrived to hit the guy, he received the puck right on the eye.

It was pretty much of Sundin's his fault, he was going to hit someoen because he was frustrated for some reasons, and when he did arrived to hit the guy, he received the puck right on the eye.

Ya, you should never hit people :rolleyes:

He was going to hit someone beause it was the first shit of the first game of the year and he wanted to put a stamp on it at home. The guy he was going after had the puck too.

I know what you mean wickedwrister, but I find the those who plays with a cage and never played with a visor are more dangerous because they never got caught up on the face and they are more careless with their sticks.

Kovy,

I would LOVE to play with a half or no shield. Bottom line is that there is that risk (even more so in my beer league and drop-in) and I am not ready to risk my livelyhood over it. I played for 2 years with a cage and NOTHING happened. Not a puck, stick, or even a hand to my face. Then in 2 weeks, I had 2 pucks and a stick right to the face. I have no idea what would have happened without my cage and I am glad it did not have to find out. Maybe I should ask how many guys/ girls who are adults and/or have real responsibilities don't wear a mask. My avitar is just one of 2 little reasons why I wear a cage.

Dave

Wicked, I'm sure you got many pucks or sticks or elbows, when you have a cage you just don't feel them, it's the same if you wear or not elbow pads, if you don't wear them you feel the board when you get squeezed on it, but if you got them, you won't feel a thing.

This is true -- never realized it till i switched to the half.

I have no respect for the yahoos who wave their sticks up around my head. Cage, visor or nothing, I'm getting pissed if someone wacks me upside the head with a stick. It's the overall lack of concern for others that drives me nuts.

Agree 110%. If it was total accident and a fluke i don't mind if I get hit. For example I wore my half at a sticktime, the golie was trying to make a long saucer pass to another guy after a shot and popped me right in the face. Lots of blood, swollen lip, wasn't pretty. Did I get mad at him? He was really apologetic, and could tell it was a complete accident. But say i'm playing with some guys and they're waving their sticks everywhere and trying to lift my stick and junk without any concern then sure i'm going to get pissed at them even if I DONT get hit.

Even the most careful guys get their stick up from time to time, and the decent guys apologize for that. If you carry the puck a lot or skate hunched over, you're going to get sticks in your face every game. My beef isn't with those guys at all, just the ones who act like it's your fault that they they slashed you across the side of the head when they swung at a puck 6' off the ice.

I wear a half shield at drop and getting hit by the puck isn't a big problem for me. I take the risk by wearing a half shield, I'll have to protect myself against pucks. I do hate when players are careless with their sticks. There's no need to be swinging a stick around at eye level. If its clearly an accident, I'll deal with it. Accidents happen. It's the people that don't control their sticks that make me mad.

Exactly. Puck OK. Someone being dumb with the stick NO. I haven't got clipped yet but I'll tell you now, if the guy is careless, I'm letting him know.