Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wickedwrister

Why do guys with half shields get mad

I wear a halfy only time I get mad is when someones careless with their stick or someone with a cage is mouthing off because they know there are no repercussions.

What I have noticed, sometimes the guys who wear visors can dish it out but cant take it. I have seen it so many times, a guy with a visor takes a swing at a guy wearing a cage but the second the guy with the cage strikes back - all of a sudden it is wrong because one who wears a cage should not be touching one with a visor for whatever reason. The way I see it, if you can give something out you can expect it back - visor or cage or nothing.

You're missing the point. Why would the guy with a cage swing at the other guy with his cage still on? That's a pu**y move to fight with a cage on.

At some point in my life, I've worn a cage, a shield and nothing but the helmet. True, there are plenty of people that hide behind their cage an act tough. There are plenty of whiners that wear a shield and think they shouldn't be touched (i.e. getting roughed up in front of the net, etc.)... but what it comes down to is people not being responsible with their stick that pisses me off.

what it comes down to is people not being responsible with their stick that pisses me off.

Exactly. Do I get mad if a puck is going high and towards my face? Nope. but when your stick is close to my face, I will tell you to watch it (beginner league at least so they learn).

I recently switched from a visor to a full Itech clear shield due to a swinging stick catching me in the bridge of the nose awhile back in beer league. No real damage, but it still hurts a few weeks later..

I wore the full shield for a couple of games but was really irritated about the lack of peripheral vision at my feet and not being able to wipe the sweat off my face. I decided to experiment with the dremel. I cut the bars below the shield part off as well as the bottom "ridge" on the shield. Then I sanded down any rough spots. What it gave me was good vision down low, easy to reach a towel in and wipe off sweat, and it still has the sides and chin section that will hopefully stop a stick from getting in there.

Sure the toe of a blade could reach in there or a perfectly placed puck, but the trade off is pretty darned good. Anyone else try this? I'm sure for some leagues it may be illegal, and alot of people are gonna say that it's been weakened and could break easier. I'm sure it is a bit weakened, but it still seems stronger than my Oakley Aviator..

I don't care if I'm wearing a SWAT helmet with full bulletproof glass shield over my face. If someone is irresponsible enough with their stick to get it up around my head or face, I have the right to be angry and potentially react with a shove/push/punch depending on the severity of their lack of control.

I as well want to see those pics of the itech. Also, for the fourth time last night, I shot a wrister and it deflected up into the guys visor. Fourth time and the guy got mad. It's not my fault my wristers go high when you deflect it so dont try to take it out on me by trying to check me or purposely injure me.

I filled in for my buddy's mens league game, it was a C league and I thought about bringing my helmet with a full shield but I brought my visor. Bad choice, I was trying to block shots but these guys were so careless with their aim. Not worth loosing teeth when you aren't getting paid. That being said when I play drop-in games I'll still wear my visor.

I think alot of it has to do with people's lack of respect for everyone on the ice, just because one guy has a full shield and you don't doesn't mean you can be careless with your stick. That is what causes it to snowball.

I think a lot of guys just don't know how to play with a visor on. A lot of people look at me with a blank look when I tell them that but guys who play with visors I'm sure get what I mean. The battling for a puck in the corner, trying to keep your stick down, follow through on a shot, all things you have to be aware of. I've been playing with a vidor the last 3 years in beer league and I'm going back to a cage. There are to many careless guys who don't know how to play with guys who wear visors. Plus my buddy got a high stick 3 weeks ago in the mouth, 5k to fix it.

better question and ill bet a few people already said it but why do guys and especially the younger guys who wear full cages always talk shit but when it comes time to back it up they never ever ever take the cage off. ive seen it countless times some little annoying p word wont take his cage off to fight when the other guy has no cage on. i seriously have seen it alot and never once has the cage guy took it'off. i wear a haklf sheild and if the guy im going with just wears a helmet i take mine off

its amazing to me how much this happens

Where do you people play where fights break out and removal of face shield is necessary? Labatt Blue Men's Open Division Championships of the World? It amazes me how tough guys on the ice are despite their clear lack of understanding of the game and or lack of the fine motor skills needed to excel. Always seems like the less of the latter the more of the desire to fight is.

If someone is being careless give them a shove, regardless of facial protection. Raise your voice and bark at 'em, and they'll learn their lesson. If they don't, proceed to add some bite to your bark. At the end of the day, visor, no visor, cage, none of us are paid to enforce or instigate. If you think otherwise you should probably keep your eyes out for a check in the mail from your GM.

better question and ill bet a few people already said it but why do guys and especially the younger guys who wear full cages always talk shit but when it comes time to back it up they never ever ever take the cage off. ive seen it countless times some little annoying p word wont take his cage off to fight when the other guy has no cage on. i seriously have seen it alot and never once has the cage guy took it'off. i wear a haklf sheild and if the guy im going with just wears a helmet i take mine off

See, I love playing against people with your mentality. I won't talk talk it up unless the other person already has and I know it's going to wind the guy up and make him do something stupid. It usually ends with that person in the penalty box or kicked out of the game. I'm wearing full equipment, I couldn't care less if someone punches me, I probably won't feel it. I'll just eat it and let them spend some time in the sin bin.

Gonna take a shot in the dark here and speculate that its men's league hockey and I'm pretty sure most sane people aren't looking for a fist fight. I've never had somebody take his helmet off and prepare for a fight and then chirp the other guy for wearing a cage, if they happened to me I'd most likely tell the guy to get a life and skate away.

Gonna take a shot in the dark here and speculate that its men's league hockey and I'm pretty sure most sane people aren't looking for a fist fight. I've never had somebody take his helmet off and prepare for a fight and then chirp the other guy for wearing a cage, if they happened to me I'd most likely tell the guy to get a life and skate away.

i didnt make my piont very well at ao

i didnt mak

e my piont very well at ao

what i was trying to say was, its always seems like the guy on the rink who talks the most and starts the most crap is always someone with a cage on, it happens a little to often. its seems like the mindset is i have a cage and cant get hurt so i can start stuff. im not saying im looking to fight anyone ever but if it hapens it always seems like the gy has a full cage, not saying everyone with a cage is a ahole, not at all

Seriously, is an agitator really needed in beer league?

Nope, those people should be banned from leagues. If your goal is to just go out and piss people off while playing a game, you really need to get a life. Getting a new hobby wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Few of those people in my beer league Chadd. They play like scouts are watching and they always need to be an agitator and start something. All of them are all on the same team as well. Just so sad really. They have yet to chirp at me at all. Anyways, took a puck to the shield last game and I was thankful I had a full on. I still miss my half shield how ever cause it's so much easier to wipe the sweat off my face.

Few of those people in my beer league Chadd. They play like scouts are watching and they always need to be an agitator and start something. All of them are all on the same team as well. Just so sad really. They have yet to chirp at me at all. Anyways, took a puck to the shield last game and I was thankful I had a full on. I still miss my half shield how ever cause it's so much easier to wipe the sweat off my face.

Sweat.

That's the big thing for me too! The differences in visibility don't make a huge difference to me, but being able to wipe the sweat out of my eyes without going to the bench and opening my cage is a bonus. I will wear a half shield when I practice, but if it gets any bit competitive I throw on my cage.

I hate that people who play with cages at the rinks i play at wave their sticks carelessly when you call them out on it they simply say "wear a cage bro or get off the ice and do something mexicans do."

the latter is just ignorance showing. But i hardly ever have that problem anymore since i shifted away from the westside of arizona. Polar Peoria is possibly the worst.

I wear a visor and the only thing i've had is a puck bounce off my own shaft from someones shot off my glove and seriously flat up my visor smacked into my face, another time it was another puck bounce and hit my cheekbone, or a crash with someone and their cage hitting my lower face. Did i complain? But hey thats still better having a visor and having the last five pucks bounce off the visor than off my eye unlike when i didnt wear one. Just saying.

Don't be mad, its your own indiscretion. But just dont be stupidly waiving your stick

I have worn a half-shield for at least 15 years. There are basically two types of douchebag players that tend to piss me off. The obvious is the careless stick holder. That one has been discussed here. The second is the cage wearing knucklehead that uses the cage as a weapon. I just about ripped a guy's head off last year because in two separate occasions he tried to headbutt me with his cage in the chin.