Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wickedwrister

Why do guys with half shields get mad

They get hit in the mouth/ face with a hand, stick, puck? Last I checked, you are not a pro getting paid bookoo bucks to have "vision". I bring this up because a guy in drop-in last night started a fight because he got cliped by a stick in the mouth. I say if you are bold enough to step on the ice without a cage... too fu^*in bad if you get hurt.

I wear a half shield at drop and getting hit by the puck isn't a big problem for me. I take the risk by wearing a half shield, I'll have to protect myself against pucks. I do hate when players are careless with their sticks. There's no need to be swinging a stick around at eye level. If its clearly an accident, I'll deal with it. Accidents happen. It's the people that don't control their sticks that make me mad.

I wear a half shield at drop and getting hit by the puck isn't a big problem for me. I take the risk by wearing a half shield, I'll have to protect myself against pucks. I do hate when players are careless with their sticks. There's no need to be swinging a stick around at eye level. If its clearly an accident, I'll deal with it. Accidents happen. It's the people that don't control their sticks that make me mad.

I hear ya, but "careless" is easier to call when you and the guys you are playing against are "elite" players. 99.9% of time that is not the case.

I have no respect for the yahoos who wave their sticks up around my head. Cage, visor or nothing, I'm getting pissed if someone wacks me upside the head with a stick. It's the overall lack of concern for others that drives me nuts.

I have no respect for the yahoos who wave their sticks up around my head. Cage, visor or nothing, I'm getting pissed if someone wacks me upside the head with a stick. It's the overall lack of concern for others that drives me nuts.

Exactly. One time I got hit in the face by a guy who was holding his stick at eye level. Wasn't playing the puck, just carrying his stick up high. Keep your stick down. There's no need to have your stick that high.

I get pissed if someone clips me with a stick - shouldn't be any different just because I wear a visor - someone who can't keep there stick in control shouldn't be on the ice.

I think it's lame when something ends up by accident that is really no one's fault and the guy with the visor flips out. Other than that, there really is reason to get mad, because NO sticks should be up there.

What does REALLY kill me is when kids with visors hit with thier hands up.

Why do the get mad? Because they're stunned and the inate reaction often is to lash out at the perpertrator. Too often, before they stopped to realize it was an accident, they've already started swinging.

Regarding whether players should be in control of their sticks, of course they should. But sometimes it's purely accidental and virtually unavoidable. I get one penalty a season, so I can claim I keep my stick down. However, I know of two times in the past year that I high sticked someone.

Once, the puck went past me while I had my stick slightly above my waist, maybe as high as my chest. I turned to chase after the puck and hit the player in the head, because he was bending that low for some reason. Another time, a player was skating quickly past me, so I tried to steal the puck. I missed and hit his stick, but the momentum and angle from his stick knocked my stick up to his shoulder.

Yes, guys should control their stick, but there are times when it's purely accidental.

Exactly --- I always find the guys with the cage seem to smash people more - are more careless with there stick --and when they do hit u act as if its your fault for not wearing a cage. Anytime i have been clipped in the face by a half- no shield -- they have always said sorry with a concerned look. Just my experience. I have always found since i switched from a full cage to a half i keep my stick lower, have more control, and am more aware of my stick. It reminds of don cheery's arguments about helmets and concusions.

That being said i always find there way more high sticks in the lower tiers -- D etc. then the higher tiers even though its more physical and competitive.

I wear a visor, and yes, I do get upset when some guy with a cage swings up high. Like previously stated, you are always in control of your stick. However, you do find those guys who wear cages who feel like there's a sense of invincibility because their faces are covered up, hence, don't understand when someone gets clipped.

What about the tough guys with cages who like to get their hands up in your face or throw punches at anyone not wearing a cage? I think we should be allowed to kill them.

What about the tough guys with cages who like to get their hands up in your face or throw punches at anyone not wearing a cage? I think we should be allowed to kill them.

yea, no penalty.... let's bring back public stonings.... except replace the stoning part with the beatdown on the guy wearing a cage by the guy he went after

I couldn't have that any better myself. I am not a great player by any means but, my stick is always down. Isn't that where it's supposed to be??

This is pretty simple. If you do not want to go with someone, don't stick him in the mouth! If you do stick him in the mouth, you should expect him to beat the crap out of you.

This just happened to me last weekend at open hockey. I don't have any facial protection and am willing to take the risk of getting hit. However there was a kid (probably junior in hs or so) who apparently thought he was a hockey god the way he was yapping all night. I have been going out just to get back into the game and not trying to show anyone up or show what I can do, so I guess I just look like an average old dude out there. The kid had the puck and I angled him towards the boards, with no intention of hitting him or even rubbing him out and automatically the elbow comes up and jacks me in the jaw...I guess this is how he takes a hit. I was annoyed but forgot about it. A few minutes later he scores a goal and does a little celebration spinning around and sure enough the stick comes up and clips me right under the eye. He felt it hit something because he looked back, but no apology was given. I don't know if he wasn't concerned because I hadn't impressed him yet or because he felt since I had no cage I should expect it or what.

Rather than break his nose right there I gave him a good warning shot behind the net and stepped up my game the rest of the night. I don't think he touched the puck one time after that w/o dumping it off because he saw me coming.

If its clearly an accident, I'll deal with it. Accidents happen. It's the people that don't control their sticks that make me mad.

Don't you think that's the case almost all of the time? That is my point. You have no control over what someone else does. Since you know this going in, don't get mad when it happens.

There's a difference between an accident and not controlling your stick. If you wouldn't be twirling your stick around over your shoulder or carrying it high through traffic, accidents won't happen.

I wear a cage but I'm aware of were stick is at all times. There's no reason to be careless with your stick and no reason to carry it at head level. I took a cross check to the throat one night and that isn't fun at all.

I can see players getting mad when they get hit though, I get mad when I get hit in the face with the cage on but I really don't feel that bad for them since it's something that can be avoided with a cage. They take a risk so they should be prepared for the consequences.

I caught a guy in the mouth last week with no shield. His player hit me and pushed my stick into him. I said sorry and he realized what happened, patted me on the back and game on. Sometimes there's nothing you can do about it and most times I've only seen people get mad when it's blatant.

I don't look for fights or really start anything on the ice but I love when the guys with a shield or no shield or cage start a fight with me. They're usually bleeding before they get my cage off.

When I first started playing I wore a cage just once. I went a full year without anything until one nite at open hockey a deflected puck split my eyebrow open. Probably could have used some stitches but I just taped it up. I didnt mind getting hit, but the problem is explaining it to the fiance at home. She made me buy a visor and I have wore it ever since. occasioanlly I get a fat lip from a stick but I can live with that. If it doesnt hurt then its just not hockey!

I wear a visor, and yes, I do get upset when some guy with a cage swings up high. Like previously stated, you are always in control of your stick. However, you do find those guys who wear cages who feel like there's a sense of invincibility because their faces are covered up, hence, don't understand when someone gets clipped.

That's exactly my opinion on this topic.

When there is an equal, common level of vulnerbility there is more respect out there. That's what a visor (and non jumbo equipment) provides. Yahoos with bird cages swinging high sticks, punching, and even kicking during a pile up deserve street justice. Those are the cowards in my mind. Put a visor (or nothing on them) and you'll see them respect the game and their fellow players more.

Keep your frikin stick on the ice. And if you can't keep your slapper below the cross bar, don't fire it because it will do no good.

I took my visor off when i turned 18 and around new years that same year, I took a shot off the face and shattered several bones. A surgery and a titanium plate later, I've learned to appreciate my cage and keeping my face outta harms way. The fact is most "average" players can lose control of their sticks. I couldn't tell you how many times in my league that a player will try something and I'll take a stick or elbow right off the front of the cage. Makes me glad I have to wear one now.

the main reason I wear a full cage and all of the gear...I have to go to work the next day and have a wife and kid to support.

My glory days are far behind me and I don't have anything to prove. I play for enjoyment and exercise. The last thing I need is to get hurt, regardless if it's an accident or on purpose.

I don't go for the "not wearing a visor or cage makes me see better". A stick in the eye or a broken nose doesn't make you see to well. If I blow a pass because my cage didn't let me see great, oh well, no one died over it and I'm not getting paid to play.

I have seen to many people get hurt from accidents. Puck deflections or pucks that roll up the stick are nasty and just happen. When someone falls and thier blade goes up just happens. Someone pushes you from behind and your arms go up to balance yourself just happens. There are alot of things that "just happen". The best thing I can do is protect myself correctly in case something "just happens"

The players who think they are invincable because they wear a cage and heavy gear are idiots to begin with and don't have a clue about hockey.

Keep your frikin stick on the ice.  And if you can't keep your slapper below the cross bar, don't fire it because it will do no good.

And that's a whole 'nother issue - guys who can't control the puck firing into a crowd or trying to shoot through people at pick-up....

I can understand people who wear half shields. This is a preference. My complaint is an inconsistant application of the rules. I am someone who has worn a full cage my whole life. If a stick hits someone in the face without a cage its a penalty. When it hits someone with a cage, its rare that a penalty is called. From my understanding of the rules any contact with the stick above the shoulder should be an automatic penalty.

thoughts?

-dave