Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wickedwrister

Why do guys with half shields get mad

The bottom line for me, is that regardless of what I'm wearing, I am irritated by players who don't care enough, or are too lazy, to do their best to control their stick. It's inconsiderate. Whether I got clipped in the mouth while wearing a visor, or got clipped on my full cage, I would be mad if I felt it could have been avoided.

It's a lot like driving. If another driver shows lack of concern for other motorists, and cuts you off, you get pissed, whether or not you're wearing a seat-belt. If get into a fender bender and get hurt, it's your fault for not wearing a seat-belt, but it's the other guy's fault for cutting you off.

I have no respect for the yahoos who wave their sticks up around my head. Cage, visor or nothing, I'm getting pissed if someone wacks me upside the head with a stick. It's the overall lack of concern for others that drives me nuts.

Agree 110%. If it was total accident and a fluke i don't mind if I get hit. For example I wore my half at a sticktime, the golie was trying to make a long saucer pass to another guy after a shot and popped me right in the face. Lots of blood, swollen lip, wasn't pretty. Did I get mad at him? He was really apologetic, and could tell it was a complete accident. But say i'm playing with some guys and they're waving their sticks everywhere and trying to lift my stick and junk without any concern then sure i'm going to get pissed at them even if I DONT get hit.

Even the most careful guys get their stick up from time to time, and the decent guys apologize for that. If you carry the puck a lot or skate hunched over, you're going to get sticks in your face every game. My beef isn't with those guys at all, just the ones who act like it's your fault that they they slashed you across the side of the head when they swung at a puck 6' off the ice.

I had that exact thing happen once. A puck went up in the air just outside the opposition's crease. I was just going to glove/body it down to poke it into the empty net. A guy on the other team with his back to me turned swinging his stick at the puck and caught me at the bottom of my visor. My nose started gushing right away but thanks to my visor and mouthpiece, that was all. I gave the kid an earful for being a complete f---ing moron and all he had to say was,"It was an accident." No apology, nothing. Of course, it was a kid with a full cage.

Wicked, I'm sure you got many pucks or sticks or elbows, when you have a cage you just don't feel them, it's the same if you wear or not elbow pads, if you don't wear them you feel the board when you get squeezed on it, but if you got them, you won't feel a thing.

I've been crosschecked in the cage (the guy was going for my throat so I dropped my chin to block) and highsticked in the cage (the guy was trying to lift my stick but couldn't overpower me so he pushed hard and his stick slipped off mine and into my cage). Both times I felt it as the chin-cup doesn't absorb all the force. The cage doesn't mean you don't feel the impact.

Wicked, I'm sure you got many pucks or sticks or elbows, when you have a cage you just don't feel them, it's the same if you wear or not elbow pads, if you don't wear them you feel the board when you get squeezed on it, but if you got them, you won't feel a thing.

I've been crosschecked in the cage (the guy was going for my throat so I dropped my chin to block) and highsticked in the cage (the guy was trying to lift my stick but couldn't overpower me so he pushed hard and his stick slipped off mine and into my cage). Both times I felt it as the chin-cup doesn't absorb all the force. The cage doesn't mean you don't feel the impact.

I had to have my chin sewn shut at least 3 times my last year in college due to my cage. I took a bull charge from a dude, his helmet on my cage, after scoring a goal against Monmouth Univ. My cage went allt he way through the chin cup and had me seeing stars. The next weekend a guy stood me up crossing the blue line helmet on helmet, this time the cage went through the same spot in the chip cup and ripped open my chin, making my home white jerseys into red. Once you have stitches in your chin a chin cup is the worst thing in the world - constantly ripping the stitches open and allowing the sponge of sweaty, bacteria filled filth rub all over it.

Point is, the cage did protect me from the intial shots but the chin cup made matters worse in the end.

I had to have my chin sewn shut at least 3 times my last year in college due to my cage. I took a bull charge from a dude, his helmet on my cage, after scoring a goal against Monmouth Univ. My cage went allt he way through the chin cup and had me seeing stars. The next weekend a guy stood me up crossing the blue line helmet on helmet, this time the cage went through the same spot in the chip cup and ripped open my chin, making my home white jerseys into red. Once you have stitches in your chin a chin cup is the worst thing in the world - constantly ripping the stitches open and allowing the sponge of sweaty, bacteria filled filth rub all over it.

Point is, the cage did protect me from the intial shots but the chin cup made matters worse in the end.

but it would have been worse without the chin cup.

If get into a fender bender and get hurt, it's your fault for not wearing a seat-belt, but it's the other guy's fault for cutting you off.

Thanks for making my point. You have no control over the other guy and you never will. Buckle up! ;)

Worse without the chin cup? Only in that it (the cage) would slice you open every time it got hit. But other than that... he would have been better off without the chin cup and the cage.

To me most of it depends on what level you are playing at. When I play at drop in or something like that I already know that there are novice hockey players. If I wear a half to that, then it's basically my own fault if I take a stick to the face. I was completely aware that there were less skilled players there. When I play at a decent level (good men's league) then my thinking starts to change. Now if I get hit on a play where for instance a guy is hacking me as I go around the net and his stick hits me in the face then I am pissed. Then I have no problem saying something to the guy but if it's a fluke play (which it usually is) then I let it go. In general players should have control of their sticks but if I am playing drop in and I know that there are guys that can barely stand I take full responsibility.

there's a big difference between somebody high-sticking you accidentally and being apologetic about it, and somebody going after you intentionally.

luckily i've never been hurt from a highstick (knock on wood) - of the 3 ones that would have been pretty bad, i had a cage on for 2, and my shield protected me in the other one. none of the guys apologized either!

a tripod absolutely nailed me at pickup once, looked at me, and skated away. don't know wtf that was about...if i had been the one that hit him, i'd be apologizing like no other, offering him beer afterwards, etc. he had to have known he nailed me. maybe he was mad cause months before, he tripped me along the boards and i broke his stick when i landed on it...or maybe he's retarded, or both.

a pretty good guy got me once, and tried to tell the ref i lifted his stick up or something retarded like that. you're responsible for your stick at all times...you got caught, just go to the box. it's bad enough that you hit me, don't be even more of a prick and say that i'm the reason you high-sticked me. (so you're saying i high-sticked myself?)

the last one was completely intentional...this sandbagger was trying to skate through everyone all night long and finally i decided to go after him. he was skating in and i was gonna hit him a bit but he got a shot off and the goalie covered it up before i could get to him. it would have been pretty late at that point, so i started to stop and made an intentional effort not to hit him. i still bumped him a tiny bit, but it wasn't dirty at all...i was just so close to him before the whistle blew that i couldn't stop completely without touching him. so i barely nudge him and he throws a shoulder back, which i completely didn't expect, so i fall. as i'm starting to get up, he moves his stick from flat on the ice, backhand into my face, and back down on the ice. this was after the whistle. so the ref immediately skates him off to the box, but he only got a minor cause he got my shield so i wasn't bleeding. wouldn't that be intent to injure though? if i was pissed off enough to try to hurt somebody, i'd try to fight them, not high-stick them when they were on the ground...that's just lame. i'm honestly gonna go after him next time.

only 2 times i've ever high-sticked someone, i got the same guy twice, in the same game no less. luckily he had a cage on. of course it was an accident and i was very apologetic...he was cool with that. "it's why i wear a cage" he said.

Worse without the chin cup? Only in that it (the cage) would slice you open every time it got hit. But other than that... he would have been better off without the chin cup and the cage.

Presumably, any hit that is hard enough to drive the cage through the chin strap would be hard enough to cause decent pain on the part of the face that would have been hit by the opponent's helmet.

If get into a fender bender and get hurt, it's your fault for not wearing a seat-belt, but it's the other guy's fault for cutting you off.

Thanks for making my point. You have no control over the other guy and you never will. Buckle up! ;)

Right, but if you were buckled up, you'd still be pissed at the other driver, wouldn't you? Not because you were hurt, but because he/she was an inconsiderate prick.

I don't blame you guys for wearing cages. Personally i wear a half, but a couple of winters ago, within a span of a month, i remember two buddies of mine got major face accidents. Some random kid just point blank shot my friend just below the eye and it swelled up to the size of an orange. Careless kid...As for the other guy, we were just at Midnight drop in and some yahoo went around checking people???Who the f**k checks people and roughs people up at a drop in hockey when this is all just for fun? The retard fired a backhand into a crowd of people and my buddy lost 4 of his front teeth. Last winter, it was odd because for school i have to wear a cage and when i switched back to a half for some shinny, i got chopped 4, yes 4 this is not a typo, times that night because idiots cannot keep their stick down. Sure it's by accident, but if you cannot keep your stick down, regardless of whether other people are wearing cages, halfs or nothing, then you should be playing ringette. Within the past couple of years, i don't think I've ever sticked anyone in the face. The last one was because another guy crosschecked me clean off my ass and my stick came up. I understand that accidents do happen, but I also believe that if you're playing this sport, I think you should respect other players enough to attempt to make a conscious effort to keep your stick down.

personally, i wear a half and i dont complain when a puck or stick hits me. If it is on purpose though, i get pissed because having a stick up there swinging at eye level is just careless

My rink requires all hockey players regardless of age or level to wear a full cage.

They just don't want to deal with the injuries.

The rink only offers adult hockey, pickup, and hockey clinics.

My rink requires all hockey players regardless of age or level to wear a full cage.

I'm surprised a lot more of the self-insured rinks don't have the same requirement.

Somehow I had this weird feeling this was going to happen by participating in this string, but I guess it's just pure bad luck. Last night (the day I posted my post) a player wired one from a wide angle and it ringed off the crossbar and caught me in the cheek/jaw area. Blood everywhere...all over my white jersey (gonna convince our captain to go either black or red next season) and my cheek looks like I have a golfball stuck in it. Shit happens. This has been one too many accidents. In the past 6 months I've gotten 3 facial injuries and I still don't learn...guess I'm switching to a cage now.

Somehow I had this weird feeling this was going to happen by participating in this string, but I guess it's just pure bad luck. Last night (the day I posted my post) a player wired one from a wide angle and it ringed off the crossbar and caught me in the cheek/jaw area. Blood everywhere...all over my white jersey (gonna convince our captain to go either black or red next season) and my cheek looks like I have a golfball stuck in it. Shit happens. This has been one too many accidents. In the past 6 months I've gotten 3 facial injuries and I still don't learn...guess I'm switching to a cage now.

I stay as far away from the net as possible, just ask my goalie or defense partner.

I'm surprised a lot more of the self-insured rinks don't have the same requirement.

One inline adult league I'm in (USA Hockey insured) went to a mandatory half-shield minimum this past season. I wear one anyway so wasn't a big deal to me, but some guys are still fuming.

Right, but if you were buckled up, you'd still be pissed at the other driver, wouldn't you? Not because you were hurt, but because he/she was an inconsiderate prick.

Much easier to enjoy the rest of the skate though when you are not spitting out a mouth full of bloody chickletts.

I usually wear a full cage because my league requires it, whatever age i play in (even seniors) because im under 18. However when i play i rec i either bust the half visor or nothing at all (i usually lend my visor to my buddy). If i get sticked in the fadce by accident, its all my own fault. Hockey players are supposed to be tough if you can't hack a lil accidental blow then put a full cage on or play soccer.

However, if its on purpose and the guy has been gunning for me all night then he better pray he has the day off work tomorrow.............

I took 7 stitches on monday and I'm pissed. Yeah, it's my fault for not wearing a cage, but there's no reason to get your stick up high when you're trying to hook someone that's stickhandling around you. Didn't lose any teeth though.

Much easier to enjoy the rest of the skate though when you are not spitting out a mouth full of bloody chickletts.

True, but you still didn't answer my question.

I took 7 stitches on monday and I'm pissed. Yeah, it's my fault for not wearing a cage, but there's no reason to get your stick up high when you're trying to hook someone that's stickhandling around you. Didn't lose any teeth though.

Getting the puck-stick in the face hurts but its not that bad. Getting that needle stabbed right into your open wound at the ER before you get stitched up. Thats what hurts.