Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cause4alarm

al-Zarqawi is dead

sure, my fault --> son of god and so on... sorry gettin old forget more and mor, chicken skin mmmm!!

We will never achieve total peace against the mindset of fanatics unfortunatly and as long as we have troops over there the opposition will see it as an occupation.

As a result there is no quick end in sight. :(

I agree to an extent. Muslim extremists have killed other Muslims for not following their interpretation of the Koran, so it's obvious they will NEVER accept the mores of the West. Thus, it's beginning to look dubious whether there will ever be a positive resolution to our time in Iraq.

It seems humans generally fight over three disagreements: religion, possession and skin. I've always felt if we could eradicate religion, we'd only have to kill each other over who owns the big house on the hill.

In much the same way that christian extremists in this country have bombed abortion clinics and killed doctors.

In much the same way that christian extremists in this country have bombed abortion clinics and killed doctors.

Muslims are not the only ones to interpret their religious beliefs literally, i hope you understand that

this is in return to bucko's comment....

Not that I am going to stop anyone but lets not turn this into a pro vs con relgious thing.

I for one, like lots, have had Relgion beaten out of me by Catholic shool for 12 years. Yes I believe in God and Jesus but choose not to go to church ... thats me.

Bottom line believe in what you want or dont ... ITS UP TO YOU ... its a free country and fighting about this stuff is wrong.

Best Regards.

people need something to believe in, tho. I am an agnostic, a professional fence sitter. It is one step up from atheist. You are not saying there is a god, but your not saying there isnt one. I went to catholic school also, and well, Im jaded.

Did Father O'Malley touch you in all the wrong places?

people need something to believe in, tho.  I am an agnostic, a professional fence sitter.  It is one step up from atheist.  You are not saying there is a god, but your not saying there isnt one.  I went to catholic school also, and well, Im jaded.

Did Father O'Malley touch you in all the wrong places?

lol waiting for somebody to take that angle ;)

:huh: The more scarey thing, if you study history to any extent-more people have died in the name/quest of Christ than any other reason in written history.

I got turned off to organized religion many years ago when it dawned on me that it is full of hypocrasy.

I cannot hold faith in a deity that may or may not exist.

I hold faith in myself as I feel that I have more control over my destiny than any other source.

I need no church to worship the things that I find spiritual.

I see more credibility in Native American beliefs than any other "Religion"

Not to offend any folks who are religious-you have your belief-I have mine

Just my couple of nickles worth.

Now Father OMally-theres another subject!!!! :huh:

We will never achieve total peace against the mindset of fanatics unfortunatly and as long as we have troops over there the opposition will see it as an occupation.

I agree to an extent. Muslim extremists have killed other Muslims for not following their interpretation of the Koran, so it's obvious they will NEVER accept the mores of the West. Thus, it's beginning to look dubious whether there will ever be a positive resolution to our time in Iraq.

It seems humans generally fight over three disagreements: religion, possession and skin. I've always felt if we could eradicate religion, we'd only have to kill each other over who owns the big house on the hill.

Oh, I wasn't trying to single out the Muslim extremists as being the only kooks in the world. That's almost the definition of the word. Extremists aren't satisfied until they coerce others to adhere to their beliefs.

Kinda off topic on an on topic way but ...

Did anyone else find it odd that picture of a dead al-Zargawi was "smartly" framed?

Kinda odd from my point of view.

Oh, I wasn't trying to single out the Muslim extremists as being the only kooks in the world. That's almost the definition of the word. Extremists aren't satisfied until they coerce others to adhere to their beliefs.

agreed jason

as for kooks out there: look at the IRA, Branch Dividens, Michigan Milita, KKK, Arien Nation, Drug Cartels, Hitler, Mussolini, Saddam, and many others. not every "extremist group" is muslim. though with the national media it seems they are "profiling" muslims in a bad light.

remember "DWB" driving while black. now it seems the world is "LWM" living while muslim profiling. it wrong. EVERY race, reglion, culture WILL have "bad apples".

my $.02.

I wasn't trying to single you out, just making a point. I do like how the media uses the term "fundamentalist" instead of "zealot", "extremist" or "wack-job".

actually what they are doing now is exactly what the koran says, to take the life of those who do not abide by the koran....thats what i mean when i pointed out they are following their religion's words. I'm not condoing their actions by any means, just saying they have not evolved beyond those words.

actually what they are doing now is exactly what the koran says, to take the life of those who do not abide by the koran....thats what i mean when i pointed out they are following their religion's words. I'm not condoing their actions by any means, just saying they have not evolved beyond those words.

I live in the birth country of Osama, the majority of my friends are muslim, and I have had plenty of disscusions about religion with them. I would love for you to show me (from a valid source) where the Quran says something like that. Keep in mind that arabic does not always translate straight to english.

By the way, the father of one of my friends was best freinds with Zarqawi. Just as a little insight, the house I live in was built by the BIn-laden family construction company.

There are certain scriptures which do say all infedels must be eraticated, but people can take it any way they want...

Look at the Christian crusades, this isnt the first time this has happeaned

I think i remember this at school, so it this Jihad(Holy war)?

yes it is an islamic holy war. anything the muslum terriorst do they consider a holy war.

Kinda off topic on an on topic way but ...

Did anyone else find it odd that picture of a dead al-Zargawi was "smartly" framed?

Kinda odd from my point of view.

It all looked a little fake to me but if he was anywhere near there, two MOABs would have done the trick.

There are certain scriptures which do say all infedels must be eraticated, but people can take it any way they want...

Look at the Christian crusades, this isnt the first time this has happeaned

Or the inquisition.

Been a few years since I read the Quran, however I believe there is an important distinction regarding this notion of infidels (people who reject a religion)....The Quran separates and respects "People of the Book"...meaning Christians and Jews. Muslims are allowed to marry other Muslims, Christians and Jews...they are not allowed to marry infidels.

Muslims also respect Jesus... the main point of difference is they believe he, like Mohammed, is an important prophet and not the son of God.

Islam grew out of Judiasm and Christianity. In fact, they initially had some difficulty recruiting people to the religion because of one critical difference....the Quran gave women specific property rights, the ability to give witness and (gasp) the right to divorce. It was far too progressive for many people at that time.

The Quran may respect other religions and women's rights, but too many of its followers don't. From what I've read, one cause of this is a large percentage of Muslims are illiterate, so they are given their religious education in piece meal fashion and told what it means.

The result is non-Muslims become considered infidels -- instead of just people like me.... :D -- while some sects believe women are property of their husbands. Or worse.

Didn't somebody (maybe Jesus) have a debate with the devil about scripture? If there is such a thing as Evil, then what better way to cause conflict than by quoting selected parts of the Quoran?

Al-Zarqawi may be dead, but he may only have been one vessel for Evil. There will be others.

Good discussion.

The Quran may respect other religions and women's rights, but too many of its followers don't. From what I've read, one cause of this is a large percentage of Muslims are illiterate, so they are given their religious education in piece meal fashion and told what it means.

The result is non-Muslims become considered infidels -- instead of just people like me.... :D -- while some sects believe women are property of their husbands. Or worse.

I do agree with you and also with your earlier posts; it is not a simple problem. (although I would like to know what "or worse" could be...LOL)

I lay awake at night worried about the seething pot of hatred, fear and ignorance all over the world. And there are difficulties between different sects of Muslims; quite astonishingly similar to problems between Protestants and Catholics. It is a very real possibility that the unifying force (for the Arab peoples) may well be a common enemy largely taking the form of the "global cop", the Americans.

The smugness and arrogance and ignorance on ALL sides of this haunts me.

Just today my newspaper carried a story of US Congressman John Hostettler saying that "South Toronto" was a breeding ground for Islamic terrorists and the US will be under threat as long as passports are not required of all Canadians crossing the border. Well, South Toronto is a business centre, with million dollar condos and the Leafs and Blue Jays and the waterfront; hardly the cesspool Congressman Hostettler portrays. And a passport does not guarantee how people think, however much we might wish it did. This is ignorance and fear-mongering, and I don't see it leading us to a useful solution.

I consider myself an open-minded person - one who "believes a skin should be judged on the content of its tastiness, and not on the colour of its skin" (thank you Vapor - I SO loved that line!) Many years' ago I briefly married an Arabic man. That it ended within a few brief months' had several reasons, and the most significant one would be the vast cultural divide. What shocked me then, and haunts me now, was how a thinking, educated, well-travelled man could have such a knee-jerk reaction of deep hatred against Americans. He had a lot of reasons (the US HAS made a number of foreign policy blunders) but none seemed, to me, enough to justify the wall of hatred I felt from him. I realized then that we are naive - we have lived a safe, coddled life and simply cannot fathom the depths of hatred some have taken in with mother's milk. It's cultural.

This will, I fear, take generations to turn around. And a war will not end it, although it may well end all of us. The answer lies somewhere in becoming known to each other; becoming people. Somehow drop our fear and seek to understand. To stop the "them vs us" mentality on all sides.

The lack of a central church authority, like the vatican was for all early christians and still is for catholics, also allows the perversion or islam by the various leaders. The best hope the world has is for education of the people of the middle east. If you give people hope, they usually aren't as apt to turn to violence to solve their problems.

well is i noticed before, it is hard for me to find the right words in english to get my point written down exactly, so this is very bad for such a fragile Topic.

i guess all those problems we have now in this world have been in this world since adam & eve. it will never change, sad but true.

but the wrong way would be to not try it for your self to make a little piece better.

the main thing is to be open minded, try to understand what your opposite trying to tell you even if he doesnt speak your language.

there will always been some shitheads who are not even interested in other cultures, because they think its only right what they are doing.

for me as a german i know how important it is to learn from the past.

sure education is very important but even well educated people are not an insurance for no racissm or fascism...

look, we germans are not the most liked persons in the world, well we know about it and we try to handle. germany is a very open country, we do have a lot of different cultures here, the education system is very well, the social system is even better at in the most countries.

we do have very big "global players" companies but we have a high rate of unemployed people at the moment.

the results are unsatisfied idiots who start saying that only the immigrants are to blame for them to not having a job. so what happens is racism. this takes mostly part in our eastern states, former DDR. but it is a german problem at the moment.

so for germany as a country wich is trying to proof that this country changed since 60 years now, it is a step back. so even it is a small percentage of idiots who are racists, still the world thinks we are all nazis and eating sauerkraut all the time.

ignorance is still a big part of the world today not only in the far east, only difference is that the terroristic acts we have seen the past few years are even the worst result of ignorance.