Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sc37

Shockdoctor Bag

I don't think its that great of an idea.... As for the sanitizing part, once i see a bag that kills the odor and bacteria on your hockey equipment then I'll beleive it....Until then its just a bag with a built in fan.

its not built in. you have to buy that part(i think)

I don't think its that great of an idea.... As for the sanitizing part, once i see a bag that kills the odor and bacteria on your hockey equipment then I'll beleive it....Until then its just a bag with a built in fan.

its not built in. you have to buy that part(i think)

yeah ik...i'm talking about when the fan is attatched to the bag

Bacteria feeds off warm air...it doesn't kill it unless its extreme heat. But you can use warm or cool air in the bag??

Actually, bacteria grows best between 45 and 140 degrees. The warm air simply dries the equipment faster than cool air. The bacteria is being killed by the ionizer, doesn't matter the temperature.

Wicked wrister, Thanks but I really don't think we'll make a killing, the profit margin is not that big. SD recently jacked up the wholesale price quite a bit from the original booking price. It was suspose to retail for $89. And shipping costs are going to be a killer. Still, this bag will be popular. I've never had a waiting list/prebuys for a bag ever before.

As a former pharmaceutical microbiologist I'm not buying the "ionized" air being a sanitizer as is ozone. I'm going to have to do some research to see if I can find any literature to back this up. I have heard of ionizers making dust and airborne bacteria electron heavy...so they esentially fall out of the air, but it's not killing it.

If I do find it a viable sanitizer, I may consider buying the power pack but not the bag and rigging up a home deodorizer. I'm sure you could rig up a wood box or even garbage bag that the equipment can sit in. Hook it up to the power pack and you have a cheap sani-sport. Just an idea.

Edit - I just re-read the ad. I don't see anything about ionized air, but I do so ozonated air. I'll still do some research on ionizers in case jimmy has more info than the ad is providing.

I haven't seen the ad. The SD catalog says "ionized" air. When I smelt the bag working at the show, it certainly smelt like ozone.

BTW, I like your idea of a sanitizing box. I think more wil do things like this. If all my equipment wont fit into the SD bag, I plan on converting my current bag to accept the hose from the power pack.

I saw a similar product at the Let's Play Hockey Expo in MN, this past March. It was a closet with fans above and below the equipment storage area. It was able to run ozone as well as any other scent that you'd like. They were marketing it to all sports, not just hockey...Hunters would be interested in something like this too.

I would have to see the actual specs of the power pack. From what I found after doing a quick search, ionization will do nothing for hockey players. As I previously mentioned, ionization will only get rid of airborne particulates and not kill the viable micro-organisms. Since the micro-ogranisms we would want to kill are on the surface, this is useless. As we all knew, ozonization will kill surface/airborne/water borne micro-organisms. However, the amount of ozone in the air has to reach a certain level to be effective. I found one reference that mentions 0.04 ppm is the minimum level needed to effectively sanitize a surface. The smallest ozone generators I found online that are capable of producing this concentration are running over $2000. I find it hard to believe the $50 power pack is going to produce the level of ozone we'd need to sanitize our equipment.

Just another gimic IMO..

1) Why in the hell would I want to push the air out of my bag.. thats what I bought it for. My living room would turn into a gas chamber if I unzipped it.

2) Honestly.. Do you think that air will just magically pass through all your gear? I doubt it... My bag is pretty full and the odds of it passing all the way thought the bag without hitting a hitch or plugging up is next to impossible.

3) $10 at home depot and a little handiwork = gear tree..

I gave my stuff to my Grandma once and she used a steam gun on it and all the yellow colour in the pads dripped out and kinda made a pool of "grime" on the floor, i ussually do that every couple of months, and i know for a fact that it kills germs and smell

And they dont cost as much as you'd think i think she got hers for around $70

Just another gimic IMO..

1) Why in the hell would I want to push the air out of my bag.. thats what I bought it for. My living room would turn into a gas chamber if I unzipped it.

2) Honestly.. Do you think that air will just magically pass through all your gear? I doubt it... My bag is pretty full and the odds of it passing all the way thought the bag without hitting a hitch or plugging up is next to impossible.

3) $10 at home depot and a little handiwork = gear tree..

It doesn't push air into your room. Exit air goes thru a carbon filter. You won't smell anything. I believe the SD cycle is 2 hrs, so low concentrations of oxzone for 2 hrs exposure should do the trick. My sani-sport has high concentration of o3 for 12 minutes.

As far as if the SD bag will kill bacteria on the equipment, you'll have to contact SD for specifics. All I'm reading is the sales hype. Funny how when some companies put out hype it's immediatly believed, yet others are met with such scepticism. I guess we'll have to wait till the bags come out and people start using it.

Ok, I just weighed one of these suckers, its 13 lbs without any gear in it. That is the weight of just the bag. Its pretty dang big. I would think I had a bag like this for personal use I would just leave it set up at my house and transfer my gear in and out of it. The bag just feels too big to use as a regular hockey bag. It would be cool though to have it as a storage place at home to clean out my gear.

A good regular wheel bag goes for about $90, so the SD bag is not that much more expensive.  Plus, I've seen these bags and inspected them, they are going to hold up very well.

No wonder the rock farmers in the Granite State have no money for top-end skates! "A good regular wheel bag" with a handle pull goes for about $75 in the "big city" and the models without the handle pull are even less money. Jeez, $90 is a lot of money for a "good regular wheel bag." I guess if you can get them to pay that much for a "good regular wheel bag", they might have more money than you think! :P

And you're confident the bags will hold up very well based on your inspection? Let's see how they perform in the locker rooms, in the Honda Element, and at home before we jump to conclusions! You don't want to be caught blowing hot air at more than your equipment!! :D

Granite farmers are smart, they know a skate that's all hype is not worth the asking price and that it will do no more for their game different than a good mid range skate, so they choose to spend the money they save on practical things. ;) To me it appears to be sturdy. Like I said, we'll know how it holds up after regular folks start using it.

Can't you buy an ozone unit? To put next to your stove and drying rack? To me a bag is a bag and the stove area downstairs is the stove area downstairs. One is for holding my gear, not grossing the hot chicks at the hotel out, the other is for drying out my gear.

I'd hate to be the person working warranty for this product

"Yeah so I was just wheeling it along"

----Looking at tire tracks etc..lol

new system being tested shortly down this way and if it works, will be something to see at the next OneGoal show..

Granite farmers are smart, they know a skate that's all hype is not worth the asking price and that it will do no more for their game different than a good mid range skate, so they choose to spend the money they save on practical things. ;)    To me it appears to be sturdy. Like I said, we'll know how it holds up after regular folks start using it.

Let's see:

A. Never said Granite farmers were not smart.

B. Not talking about skates, the thread is about the S/D bag.

C. Do you use high end goalie skates to help your game in the crease or mid range goal skates since a high end goal skate "will do no more for your game than a good mid range skate?"

D. The Granite farmers are not saving any money if they pay over pay $90 for a "good regular wheel bag" they could buy on a road trip to the "big city" for $75 when they are at a tournament.

E. What do "regular folks" look like and what makes them "regular folks" as opposed to "folks?"

F. Your NBH envy is now at a critical stage. Its time to see Dr. Melfi. :P

Granite farmers are smart, they know a skate that's all hype is not worth the asking price and that it will do no more for their game different than a good mid range skate, so they choose to spend the money they save on practical things. ;)    To me it appears to be sturdy. Like I said, we'll know how it holds up after regular folks start using it.

Let's see:

A. Never said Granite farmers were not smart.

B. Not talking about skates, the thread is about the S/D bag.

C. Do you use high end goalie skates to help your game in the crease or mid range goal skates since a high end goal skate "will do no more for your game than a good mid range skate?"

D. The Granite farmers are not saving any money if they pay over pay $90 for a "good regular wheel bag" they could buy on a road trip to the "big city" for $75 when they are at a tournament.

E. What do "regular folks" look like and what makes them "regular folks" as opposed to "folks?"

F. Your NBH envy is now at a critical stage. Its time to see Dr. Melfi. :P

You assume too much. I never said anything about NBH. "Granite farmers are smart, they know a skate that's all hype is not worth the asking price and that it will do no more for their game different than a good mid range skate, so they choose to spend the money they save on practical things.". This sentence has nothing to do with NBH, rather just high end skates in general. Why are you so defensive?

BTW, we sell many wheel bags priced from $49-109. In my orig statement, I was simply saying the SD bag is around the cost of a good wheel bag (a bit more now with the price incease).

Regulare folk are quite different from gear whores.

I missed the part about which mid range goalie skate you use.

Actually up to 2 months ago I used a CCM 552, retailed for $149 about 6 or 7 yrs ago. The only reason I replaced it was because the steel was ground away from sharpening twice a week. When RBK came out with a revolutionary skate with replaceable steel, I chose that one for that reason only. I don't need, nor never had a top end skate before. I, like many of my customers, can't justify high end. The extras that skate have are nice don't get me wrong, but I don't need them for performance. I still have my 3.0 GAA regardless of what skate I use.

to get rid of the smell of my equipment, i leave it outside on hot days and just spray febreze in it till the sun bakes it in. Makes the smell go away. i really couldn't care less about bacteria, as I've been playing for over 15 years, and not once has wet equipment or smell bothered me. Sure it's gross when you put on wet gloves and they smell like amonia, but once you get on the ice who cares.

I'm concerned about the size of the SD bag. How much smaller is the ref bag? I don't wear shoulder pads or hockey pants because I play moslty roller hockey, so would the ref bag be big enough?