Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

iceburg19

Sprung Hockey

How differant would the frame hole pattern be, My skate boots have some of holes from past frames.

Assume they will be different, cause they will be placed according to a different mounting plate. Which would you like better, the Sniper ice holder body or the Caffeine mag alloy body?

CaffeineT.jpg

Which would you like better, the Sniper ice holder body or the Caffeine mag alloy body?

Whichever one offers the best balance of performance and durability. Price would be a factor too of course, but if there's only a slight difference then I'd definitely pay more for the better performing product (assuming durability is at least as good). If one would cost twice as much as the other or more then I'd probably go with the cheaper option unless the more expensive one performed that much better and was more durable.

From a price perspective, the fact that I already have a tonne of 76mm wheels would probably influence my decision as well - being able to reuse at least some of the wheels I already have would be appealing.

how much lighter will the all mag chassis be? when are you planning on releasing? i currently have sprungs and love them but i'm still not comfortable using plastic.

how much lighter will the all mag chassis be? when are you planning on releasing? i currently have sprungs and love them but i'm still not comfortable using plastic.

If the Sniper had the same hole pattern as the TUUK LS2 ice holder, I'd buy that for sure. It would make ice-to-roller conversion for my Bauers a real treat!

If the Sniper had the same hole pattern as the TUUK LS2 ice holder, I'd buy that for sure. It would make ice-to-roller conversion for my Bauers a real treat!

i would prefer the chassis to come without holes. let the installer drill the holes where necessary to avoid adjacent holes in the boot which are bad for structural rigidity. put simple guidelines for approximate hole mounting location in the instructions.

i would prefer the chassis to come without holes. let the installer drill the holes where necessary to avoid adjacent holes in the boot which are bad for structural rigidity. put simple guidelines for approximate hole mounting location in the instructions.

If you look at the Sniper design, you'll see that that's not possible.

Sniper1.jpg

Sniper2.jpg

Assume they will be different, cause they will be placed according to a different mounting plate. Which would you like better, the Sniper ice holder body or the Caffeine mag alloy body?

CaffeineT.jpg

I know the performance on both the sniper and the caffeine frames would still out perform any other frame out there.(that is my opinion and in my mind a plain out fact) I would go with the Caffeine mag alloy set up. even if it were a touch heavier you could lighten that up with mini bearing wheels to make up the weight differance, or just suck it up. Just the most durable set up is what im looking for. my graf 705s ive had for 10plus years and the Sprung A6 frame for 4yrs. 15+ yrs inline experience, the sprung frame (to me)Is just the best performing frame, so any sprung frame improvment is a huge plus.

I know the performance on both the sniper and the caffeine frames would still out perform any other frame out there.(that is my opinion and in my mind a plain out fact) I would go with the Caffeine mag alloy set up. even if it were a touch heavier you could lighten that up with mini bearing wheels to make up the weight differance, or just suck it up. Just the most durable set up is what im looking for. my graf 705s ive had for 10plus years and the Sprung A6 frame for 4yrs. 15+ yrs inline experience, the sprung frame (to me)Is just the best performing frame, so any sprung frame improvment is a huge plus.

x2, i would love an all mag caffeine frame.

i would love even more an all mag frame sized for 80/76.

x2, i would love an all mag caffeine frame.

i would love even more an all mag frame sized for 80/76.

If you like 76/80 more than 80/84, you use the smaller wheels, which are the same size step. Many A7/A8 players use 76s rather than 80s. The wheelbase remains the same. It's just nice to know that these go up to 84. Others only go up to 80. Both are more than 11, Nigel.

Finally got everything in the mail and got the Sprungs mounted:

IMG_0149.jpg

First impressions:

Initially, I was worried about these. Being made out of something other than metal, the flex in the rocker arms despite many many peoples positive experience. I went with a harder wheel (Rinkrat Hornet 62/78 versus my old HiLo setup Rinkrat Hotshot 62/76). It felt like I could flex the arms and wheels a lot when I was standing in the dressing room for the first time.

First few strides I was like hey this feels familiar. It felt like the edge of my ice skate, cross overs felt like they did on ice and i could turn sharper and deeper. Still getting used to the feeling as it is different than a HiLo and I was probably a better inline skater than ice skater. I did notice cross overs were a little bit more challenging (felt like my chassis were longer or a longer radius compared to ice?) and I also noted that backwards skating felt different but it felt more like ice skating. My forward stride was faster and felt exactly like ice skating. Still can't stop on the sport court but that will come with time I hope.

Overall I am impressed with the design and that it actually works. I hope they last long some people seem to crack the arms often other people on here go years so we will see how it goes. Can't wait for the free A6X upgrade if that is still happening. Silly question but how tight does everyone on here tighten the axles it seems you tighten down to when it becomes hard to turn but then the wheel doesn't spin as freely, if you loosen off a little the wheel spins more freely but has a bit of wobble. Should I tighten so there is no wobble but doesn't spin as long?

Thanks Sprung!

Penum, welcome to the spungs revolution!

The axles need to be normal tightnes... no need to really tighten them up too much as it would strip the aluminum threads. My 2 cents would be to tighten up unti the end of the thread is pretty much flush with the nut, then maybe another 1/8 turn should do it. As for the wheels spinning, once you get more milage on the arms, they will free up a little more and you wont have issues with them not spinning. I'm on A7s myself, and my wheels spin pretty much freely even when using crappy bearings.

If you like 76/80 more than 80/84, you use the smaller wheels, which are the same size step. Many A7/A8 players use 76s rather than 80s. The wheelbase remains the same. It's just nice to know that these go up to 84. Others only go up to 80. Both are more than 11, Nigel.

But on the other hand, I would prefer to have the smallest wheelbase possible with the 76/80 on a small size 7 skate.

you don't necessarily notice a huge difference when you go from normal skates to sprungs

but you do notice a big difference when you are used to sprungs and try to go back to normal skates.

my 2 cents

But on the other hand, I would prefer to have the smallest wheelbase possible with the 76/80 on a small size 7 skate.

exactly. plus i want to be as close to the ground as possible and don't need the additional vertical clearance for the larger wheels. therefore in my perfect world, id have all mag sprungs sized for 80/76.

exactly. plus i want to be as close to the ground as possible and don't need the additional vertical clearance for the larger wheels. therefore in my perfect world, id have all mag sprungs sized for 80/76.

Your size would come 76/80 with a wheelbase shorter than the current A6, and lower.

Hey guys..Just had a question. I don't know if its because of the chassis mounting, but when I stand on my skates, the Right skate feels like, my ankles are buckling out to my left foot. The fit is fine, considering its a new boot but it just feels like the support isnt there, or since its a new boot, and its not broken in yet. I was wondering if its possible maybe because the chassis isnt lined up correctly? I could take some pictures if that would help. Thanks for any help!

Hey guys..Just had a question. I don't know if its because of the chassis mounting, but when I stand on my skates, the Right skate feels like, my ankles are buckling out to my left foot. The fit is fine, considering its a new boot but it just feels like the support isnt there, or since its a new boot, and its not broken in yet. I was wondering if its possible maybe because the chassis isnt lined up correctly? I could take some pictures if that would help. Thanks for any help!

[/quote

Did you tighten one side of the frame more than the other side? also check your center lines.Did you messure a 1/4 inch back from the one center line going across the boot? Put the skate on a level table and lean it on something straight up and see if your boot is leaning uneven with the frame.

Hey Keith , by wrapping the plastic spring with paper or something else (tin foil), of course that is making the spring harder to compress with the rockers,Am I putting to much stress on the pivot knuckles?

Sounds like your right frame is toed out and your foot wants to nosedive to the inside. Check it against the left mount and see how they look vs how they feel. If it's fairly visible it's probably too much.

Hey Keith , by wrapping the plastic spring with paper or something else (tin foil), of course that is making the spring harder to compress with the rockers,Am I putting to much stress on the pivot knuckles?

Computer paper works best cause it is dense and doesn't hurt the materials. What it does is add a thin shim around the spring contact (inner and outer, both faces) surfaces so that things that used to fit, tight but have stretched and worn, are tight again. I haven't noticed it causing an old arm to break any sooner or at all, directly.

Itan Chavira has skated on A7s enough to like them, and a while back I mounted a bunch of pairs for him to give away to friends. Recently he asked me for two pair of skates. A pair of new boots with A7s to use all the time, and a pair of size 4.5s with A6s. The OG 1998 VIs are Mission 6s, which is about the same as 4.5 Canadian. The other pair are Bauer TotalOnes (thanks) which I pick up next week to mount the A7s on. Pics then.

1999VSIsize6.jpg

Penum, welcome to the spungs revolution!

The axles need to be normal tightnes... no need to really tighten them up too much as it would strip the aluminum threads. My 2 cents would be to tighten up unti the end of the thread is pretty much flush with the nut, then maybe another 1/8 turn should do it. As for the wheels spinning, once you get more milage on the arms, they will free up a little more and you wont have issues with them not spinning. I'm on A7s myself, and my wheels spin pretty much freely even when using crappy bearings.

Thanks for that info. My bearings might also be shot after all these year but I still try to clean them and take of them.

Anyways after playing on the sprungs the next day I went and played some drop in ice hockey (as I usually do before my weekend games) didn't feel weird at all!!! There still is slightly subtle differences but the out of body, confused muscle group feeling switching from roller to ice is gone. Have to admit I was skeptical but not anymore, very impressed..can't wait for the A6X!

Sounds like your right frame is toed out and your foot wants to nosedive to the inside. Check it against the left mount and see how they look vs how they feel. If it's fairly visible it's probably too much.

Thanks for the help guys! I just looked it it from the front and even though I used the ice skate runners center line, it was off. So I reamed the holes over to make it centered. Skated and 10x better than before. Now onto the tasks of breaking the boot in....

Computer paper works best cause it is dense and doesn't hurt the materials. What it does is add a thin shim around the spring contact (inner and outer, both faces) surfaces so that things that used to fit, tight but have stretched and worn, are tight again. I haven't noticed it causing an old arm to break any sooner or at all, directly.

Thanks for the help guys! I looked at it from the front and saw it was off centered..I used the skate runners as a mark, but i guess it wasn't true or I just sucked at marking them. I reamed the holes with my dremel and centered the frame. Skated on them and 10x better. Thanks! Now onto breaking the boot in....

Thanks for the help guys! I looked at it from the front and saw it was off centered..I used the skate runners as a mark, but i guess it wasn't true or I just sucked at marking them. I reamed the holes with my dremel and centered the frame. Skated on them and 10x better. Thanks! Now onto breaking the boot in....

Hey I see in your signature your from Pittsburgh. I am as well, how you like the sprungs? where you play at?